It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas Trees Removed From Sea-Tac

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
These were Christmas trees. Not Egyptmas trees, not Solstice trees.

By saying Christmas tree it is then associated with Christ correct?

[edit on 11-12-2006 by Rasobasi420]

incorrect.
unless we are discussing the etymology of the word.
They are Christmas trees, associated with what has become the mostly secular day, of Christmas.
Historical symbols, nothing more.

I hear the Ticket counter workers are taking up the slack, by decorating their counterspaces...

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
Raso,

Some people are named "Christ"ian or "Christ"opher. Some are named "Moses" or "Isaac", shall we demand they rename themselves? It's too late to change the christmas tree as a secular symbol, just as its too late to ask people who were named after famous biblical characters, to change their names. Their names have been assimilated into the secular domain.

My head is starting to hurt with all of these eye rolls. Do you honestly believe your own BS? A name is a name, and people named after Christ, like it or not, were named after a religious figure. If they want to change their name because of it, it's their beef.

This tree, however, is a symbol. It is a symbol with a specific name. It's normally a pine tree, or spruce, or whatever type of evergreen, until it is decorated, and renamed CHRISTmas to celebrate the holiday CHRISTmas.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You DO know that holiday..
stems from HOLY DAY..
And we all know what day THAT is.

I guess a new name for this tree is in order..

Fancy tree
Gussiedup Tree.
Fabulous tree.
Electric tree.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Raso,

Abraham Lincoln was the president of the US. His name is biblical. It's posted on many secular documents and our money. It's on a huge secular statue of him. Shall we scratch out the "Abraham" part because it once came from the bible? No, because we understand that his name has been secularized. Christmas is celebrated by people who are not even remotely christian, just as much as by people who are. This means the event is secular. Not religion specific. It has been assimilated into the population at large as an event, whose religious import is really only interpreted at the personal level.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
They can call it the Electric Bugaloo for all I care. But the moment it's called Christ, it's religious.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   

It's on a huge secular statue of him. Shall we scratch out the "Abraham" part because it once came from the bible? No, because we understand that his name has been secularized.

No, it's because it's his birth name. If that's how you want to look at it, these trees were born with the name Spruce, and Pine, but then renamed (baptized?) with a new Christian name of Christmas.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

They can call it the Electric Bugaloo for all I care. But the moment it's called Christ, it's religious.

So does that mean songs that mention christ are religious? I can think of many that use that word that are not only not christian but the exact opposite. Hrm, come to think of it, perhaps outlawing the word's usage in the public domain could be a good thing. Then no one could curse him in public or write derogatory songs about him. Hey, you might be onto something. *sarcasm*

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   

It's on a huge secular statue of him. Shall we scratch out the "Abraham" part because it once came from the bible? No, because we understand that his name has been secularized.

No, it's because it's his birth name. If that's how you want to look at it, these trees were born with the name Spruce, and Pine, but then renamed (baptized?) with a new Christian name of Christmas.

When you buy the tree, if you buy the tree, you can call it whatever you want. The name of it, as a christian symbol, has been secularized, because it was itself an assimilated symbol of pagans, egyptians and akkadians. It's a very old symbol, in other words. Just like atheists can have children and call them "Isaac" or "Jacob", and no one has a hissy fit about it, because we know the name has been secularized for public consumption.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Why do people always assume the worst or over react? Hateful email??

No should ever send hateful emails. That is wrong, but expressing your opinion is the right of every american.

Now you sound like the fundamentalists who condemn abortion clinic bombings, but give out the address for "peaceful protest"

You've read the responses on this thread, and you know that people feal strongly about the situation. I'm sure you only want free expression
but you have to expect when you dangle a worm in front of a fish, it'll jump.

If you make something a public issue and threaten to sue a public entity, the public deserves the right to voice it's opinions.

Isn't the USA wonderful.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
A bit of back history:

Gilgamesh, who was a god-king of ancient times, decided he wanted to build his city from the wood of the Cedar forests. However, the sumerian-akkadian god known as Enlil, had forbade it because he said, that once the cedar forests were cut down, they would never recover. (the first enviromentalist?) Enlil placed a beastly monster to protect the forest, so that no one could cut it down. Gilgamesh and his "clone", Enkidu, set off to slay the monster so that Gilgamesh could procure the wood and build his city. They succeeded and Gilgamesh's city was decorated in cedar wood. As a result, when he died, his death was commemorated by a cedar tree, which was dug up and replanted on his supposed "burial" site and decorated with symbols portraying their grief at his passing and his reign as their god-king. Thus began the usage of a pine tree to represent a god-king, either in death or life.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funkydung
in fact they are completely opposite of what christ taught.....in reality christmas and easter are satanic in its roots.

That's not true. They are pagan, but not satanic.

wow if you think that paganism is not satanic then you need to do some history readin. pagan is just a softer name for satanism. a modern name.
im sure you have mind enough to put it all together. tell ya what start with nimrod at babylon and it goes from there..... please tell me you know who nimrod was.....if you do then you understand.

What about that old favorite, the Christmas tree? Surely it wasn't pagan, too, was it? The astonishing answer: "The Christmas tree, now so common among us, was equally common in Pagan Rome and Pagan Egypt. In Egypt that tree was the palm-tree; in Rome it was the fir; the palm tree denoting the Pagan messiah, as Baal(lucifer)-Tamar, the fir referring to him as Baal-Berith. The mother of Adonis, the sun-god and great mediatorial divinity, was mystically said to have been changed
into a tree, and when in that state to have brought forth her divine son. If the mother was a tree, the son must have been recognized as the 'Man the branch.' And this entirely accounts for the putting of the Yule Log into the fire on Christmas Eve, and the appearance of the Christmas tree the next morning" (Hislop, p. 97).

The symbolism of the Christmas tree and the Yule log is made plain by Alexander Hislop. He writes:

Therefore, the 25th of December, the day that was observed at Rome as the day when the victorious god reappeared on earth, was held at the Natalis invicti solis, 'The birthday of the unconquered Sun(nimrod-lucifer).' Now the Yule Log is the dead stock of Nimrod, deified as the sun-god, but cut down by his enemies; the Christmas-tree is Nimrod redivivus -- the slain god come to life again (p. 98).
www.garnertedarmstrong.ws...

[edit on 11-12-2006 by Funkydung]

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I never said the public didn't have the right. We have the right to do a lot of really rotten things, it doesn't mean we should do them.

And Undo, I know you get what I'm saying. It's not about secularizing anything. If it's a Christmas tree, it's Christian, not secular. Christmas is a Christian holiday correct? Do Jews celebrate it? I know they celebrate Columbus day, and Veterans day. Do they celebrate Christmas? Muslims? No, it's a Christian thing. And just because athiests celebrate it doesn't make it secular. They often celebrate for family or friends. The tree, being a symbol of this holiday, is a Christian symbol.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
they deliberately misrepresented christ as being from the same line as the god-kings, in an act of ecumenism, for the furtherance of the empire, and then incorporated the symbols where necessary.

it's no small wonder there's so much confusion on the topic.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Christmas is a Christian holiday correct? Do Jews celebrate it? I know they celebrate Columbus day, and Veterans day. Do they celebrate Christmas? Muslims? No, it's a Christian thing. And just because athiests celebrate it doesn't make it secular. They often celebrate for family or friends. The tree, being a symbol of this holiday, is a Christian symbol.

Actually I live in Dearborn Michigan we have the largest population of Arab-american outside the middle-east. Most of them celebrate Christmas these days. Yes they give presents, have a tree and most of them are right off the boat. Why? because they believe it is american thing, not religious.

Maybe we should eliminate Christmas Vacation in public schools and Easter Vacation too, Martin Luther King day, etc....

Did you know that all the schools in Dearborn Michigan that have Arab children in them must serve Halal food? Yes they do, at taxpayer expense.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Do Jews celebrate it?

Yes, some do.
My wife is one.
Any idea who wrote "White Christmas"? Irving Berlin, jewish.
Or "We Need a Little Christmas" ? Jerry Herman, jewish.
Or "The Christmas Waltz"? Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne, jewish.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Raso,

Actually, as I said before, just as many non-christians celebrate it as christians who don't. There's several christian religions out there that absolutely refuse to acknowledge it as a christian holiday because it truly is not the day of the birth of Christ. It has no real significance to them, other than to represent a falsehood.

Just like with beauty, it's all in the eye of the beholder at this late stage.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
www.portseattle.org...

To be fair about the whole situation to send emails and opinions on this topic I thought of including the airport as well.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The problem I have is that the Rabbi claims that he never wanted this to all happen...but you don't convince people by throwing a lawsuit in their face and then claim innocence. Did he think that would seem non-threatening? Why the need to rush this with a lawsuit? Did they ignore him earlier in the year?

I keep hearing he didn't want the trees to come down or ruin Christmas...which I'll give him credit for. I do think the more I read this that Sea-Tac overeacted, but I wasn't in the meetings they had with Bogomilsky and his lawyer so maybe they thought they had no option.

Take the lawsuit off the table, put the trees up, put the menorah up, and have the Rabbi organize a holiday recognition area in the airport for all religions for this time of the year. He opened this can of worms so he can help solve the problem.

Maybe this is the way to deal with these kind of lawsuits...make them public and turn the heat up with public opinion.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The rabbi should have read this article. I have always subcribed to this view. Chirstmas is for everyone, regardless of religion. The gift of cheer is intended for all.

An alternative to Christmaphobia is to be relaxed and expansive. We don't want the children to be ashamed of their longing or to have to hide their pleasure. Instead, let's call a magnificent holiday a magnificent holiday, and let our minor holiday be minor. Have a festive Chanukah party, but think about making a gingerbread house, driving around to look at the decorations, choosing your favorite house. Serve eggnog and decorate cookies at home.

As Jews, we have the freedom to selectively appreciate this holiday. We are spared some of the frenzied shopping countdown and can enjoy the visions, the aromas and the lights that are so welcome at this dark and chilly time of year. We can share with our children all the pleasure the season has to offer and protect them from feeling ashamed about it. That is a gift they can keep and pass down to our grandchildren.

Jews can like Christmas, too

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

Actually I live in Dearborn Michigan we have the largest population of Arab-american outside the middle-east. Most of them celebrate Christmas these days. Yes they give presents, have a tree and most of them are right off the boat. Why? because they believe it is american thing, not religious.

Uh huh, and have you stopped to ask how many of them are Christian? May surprise you, but the US isn't the only place that has christians. As a matter of fact *whisper* Christianity is a middle eastern religion.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join