It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions re Cumbre Vieja mega-tsunami forecast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Here is one recent scientific summary of the potential for a mega-tsunami at Cumbre Vieja on the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands:

chuma.cas.usf.edu...

And here is a transcript of a QandA session with a tsunami expert:

www.pbs.org...

I also saw a TV special on the Cumbre Vieja potential to release a mega-tsunami aimed at the Eastern seaboard of North America, but I can't find the transcript online just now. Anyway, my question is, if the weight of rainwater collected inside of Cumbre Vieja over millenia is what will help trigger the collapse of the western side of the volcano, initiating the mega-tsunami, do any ATS folks know it would be feasible to start pumping some of that water out of Cumbre Vieja? Isn't there a great need in Africa for clean fresh water anyway?? -- Thanks for any info.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Thks for the link to the Pararas-Carayannis paper - not seen that before

Not sure if this is the programme you saw, but it's the transcript of a BBC Horizon document shown in the UK a few years back

www.bbc.co.uk...

However, latest research suggest there is no imminent threat of an eruption/landslide/tsunami

www.eurekalert.org...

But I guess it would be possible to pump the water out of the crater, if there was stronger evidence that a catastrophe would occur in the near future otherwise.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The way I understand it, the water isn't in a crater to be drained, it has seeped into the rocks in the volcano. The theory goes that when it does go, the water will be superheated by rising magma, causing hydrothermal explosions that would cause it to crack and slide off.

These are the coordinates of the Cumbre Vieja system:

28°33'22.43"N 17°50'20.01"W

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Thank you both for the info. When I do find the transcript of the show I saw, where the first scientists to document this problem were interviewed, I will post it here.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Cumbre Vieja ready to blow?

Volcano warning: Canary Islands panic as earthquakes hit La Palma – 40 tremors in 48 hours

Oct 10, 2017

FEARS of a volcano erupting on the Canary Islands has sparked panic as the Spanish archipelago was hit by more than 40 earthquake tremors in just 48 hours.

The earthquakes have sparked panic across the Canary Islands, with volcano experts pulled in to examine the unusual seismic activity.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Hellmutt

"Panic" might be a bit too strong.

INVOLCAN: “Swarm quakes in active volcano normal, but they must be observed carefully”

www.la-palma24.info...

Tuesday, 10. October 2017: In the monitoring network of the Cumbre Vieja are three additional, Mobile seismographs and other monitoring stations. Overall the situation on La Palma has calmed down until Tuesday morning – However, the movements in the Earth's interior seem to shift: The early morning was in the Atlantic Ocean off Tenerife in 25 Km depth a seaquake with 4 ML gemesssen on the Richter scale and off the coast of The Iron (El Pinar) gave it a shake 2,1 ML in 24 Km depth.

edit on 10/10/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Since this past Saturday, and up to Monday there were 68 earthquakes at Cumbre Vieja. What they are saying in the Spanish news sites is that this could be a sign of the volcano becoming dormant, or could be a sign of it awakening. Actually they say "it could be a sign of something more". But they don't want to mention what that "something more" could be, although it should be obvious what they are refering to as "something more".

www.eldiario.es...

edit on 10-10-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

top topics

join