It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil , ''Cheaper Then Pepsi,Coke and Mineral water!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Peak Oil....

According to a current affairs program I watched on tv,'60 minutes' on Sunday 27th of August,we are heading for terrible times ahead...not only will this effect fuel prices,but it will add so called ''fuel to the fire'', in just about all we have and use in our homes.
They say that in the next 5 to 6 years the price of fuel will hit, the 250.00 dollar(Aussie)mark to fuel our cars.
As for the moment, prices are increasing in just about everthing we use and by the end of the year,the price of fuel, will be at 2.00 dollars a litre....
Apparently ''JOHN DORAN''( heads petroleum company 'Roc Oil' )thinks that fuel prices are not that bad.....here is what he has to say.......

Well, look, it is a twin-edged sword. But oil is still cheaper than Pepsi, Coke, mineral water and it's not renewable. So I think it's still fairly cheap.

Read the rest of the story HERE

helen

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Hate to say it... but he's got a point.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
My car doesn't run on pepsi.

So I'm stuck with gasoline, however I read in the paper, the price per gallon has dropped 15 cents avg per gallon.

So...

If only gas tasted good.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
My car doesn't run on pepsi.

So I'm stuck with gasoline, however I read in the paper, the price per gallon has dropped 15 cents avg per gallon.

So...

If only gas tasted good.

Hey Lys/

If only gas tasted good

I think Gas is odourless and tasteless(?) and the odour is added, so that people(lol) do not try and consume it.
That is why, it may taste a bit off!
Hence why, gas will never be, good enough for human consumption.

Actually, I believe that the odour is added in case of leakage.....otherwise, we would be in terrible strife if this happened.
I can just imagine if the Gas was left on.........
We would all be up in

Ok, seriously, this is a serious thread!

helen

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Not to get too far off the subject (but you kind of brought it up)... but I have to admit I love the smell of gasoline!

[edit on 28-8-2006 by mecheng]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng
Not to get too far off the subject (but you kind of brought it up)... but I have to admit I love the smell of gasoline!

hmmm,
Actually GAS here in Australia, is Gas......quite nasty stuff that actually smells, and if it gets on your skin, it freezes and sort of burns(cold)

You probably mean Petrol?
Bad stuff!

As for GAS,the odourless stuff, our Government ,Mr John Howard(Prime Minister)is
helping people survive the 'High Fuel' prices by giving the motorists an option of 'Gas Conversion' in your vehicle a sopposed to 'fuel'.......

THE Federal Government will pay grants of $2000 to fit LPG conversions in existing cars as part of a broad response to high petrol prices announced yesterday.

news story

and more HERE

But,
many motorists that have had the 'gas conversion' have been not so happy....
Some motorists have actually had their vehicle go up in flames(literally) and many have been hurt seriously....probably due to whoever fitted the gas tank in the first place.
This was a current affairs program I watched a few weeks back.....cannot seem to find it.....
I think the current affairs program was
''Today Tonight''
or,
''A current affair''

here is something I found funny about 'five to tips to cut petrol costs'....

The less you use the car, the less fuel used.

Who would have known!

helen

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng
Hate to say it... but he's got a point.

No he doesn't. This silly comparison is a text-book example of comparing apples to oranges. The oil companies love to compare the price of bottled water to gasoline as if we bought gasoline in individual 16 oz. bottles. Wrong! A lot of the cost of the bottles of water is in the packaging. What if we threw away the packaging and just dealt with delivery and use the way we calculate gasoline cost?

Water $1.73 for 748.05 gallons

Gasoline $1.73 for 1/2 (half) a gallon

We should note that there's a $15.00 monthly fee for having a water meter in this example, but I think you get the point. Do you still think this is a fair comparison?

City of San Diego water rates

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
But most people won't think twice about that scam... $1.50 for a bottle of water... but act like their lives are ending when they have to pay $3.00 for a gallon of gas.

BTW - Myself included.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
That's because we don't buy one gallon at a time the way we buy single bottles of water. Most peopled are buying 15 - 20 gallons at a time. @ $3 a gallon that means you're spending close to $50 at the pump compared to $1.50 for a bottle of water.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
That's because we don't buy one gallon at a time the way we buy single bottles of water.

But why then, if it's essentially free, would we give say Dannon $1.50 without hesitation? Without hardly thinking about it.
Also, if you use packaging or convenience, as an argument for marking up water some 1,000 percent (or whatever), I could use the same argument for the convenience of driving up and filling you tank, not to mention the cost of refining, shipping, etc.

BTW - my real name is Lee Raymond, Exxon CEO.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

A lot of the cost of the bottles of water is in the packaging. What if we threw away the packaging and just dealt with delivery and use the way we calculate gasoline cost?

Don't we drill for, transport, and refine petroleum? I'm willing to bet there's a hefty cost because of that as well.

Edit: Covered above.

Most peopled are buying 15 - 20 gallons at a time. @ $3 a gallon that means you're spending close to $50 at the pump compared to $1.50 for a bottle of water.

This too is slightly flawed, how often do you fill your car, once a week I'm guessing? Most people surely buy more than one water bottle a week, no? Though I'll admit, I don't buy 33 water bottles in one week.

[edit on 28-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Its been proven that Olive oil can be used as a fuel to drive cars, but it gives of a chip fat smell, why dont we work towards using that?

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hi dbates/

This silly comparison is a text-book example of comparing apples to oranges.

I quite agree with you there!

It is amazing what THEY, will say or do just to get their OWN point across, all being, for their own gain, and thinking themselves more worthy then those that actually, keep THEM in the position there at.
Is it not a conspiracy,
to actually see that '' THEY'', can use flavoured water, sugared drinks,or whatever soda type,by means of getting their wording, sounding just about plausable, even making us think that it makes sense to compare fuel and out there drinks(having a label counts!)for Peak Oil.
Greedy,power hungry,right at the 'Top' be it whoever,is not looking at helping others, but only in pleasing themselves and their own kind, and lining their pockets with money that one day will be of no use to them.
What is real funny(sarcastic), is that THEY too,will one day be in that same position, and THEY too,will feel it much worse then what we, the 'little' people have or will feel.
Whether we like it or not, this will always happen.
I believe we can make a change, if we ourselves, make a start and not worry too much of what THEY want us to believe.
Helping ourselves and those that do need it,will benefit us in a 'feel good' sort of way, even if it changes one person, at least we have achieved in making a difference.
Water by far is nothing compared to the rising of fuel prices.
At least with water, when a family has not payed a bill or cannot pay the water rates, it will not be cut off entirely.
This is not allowed to be done(cut main water off),even when the person is not capable of ever paying.
Water must be left on for a person to drink.
People need water to survive,and hopefully it will always be around ...(well, that's a different subject in itself.)
As for the rising costs of fuel,the majority of people who will feel the pinch will be,
families or struggling individuals who actually need their cars as means of transport ...eg/to get to work and earn the money to live on, feed their families and so on..
The rising costs of fuel would have to be taken into consideration as to what wages are paid ,for those that are feeling the pinch, many will have no option but to cut down on other nessacities(spelling)being most likely family time spent together and holidays,time off,meaning all this would lead to having to work longer hours and longer amounts of time spent with your loved ones.
This in turn,will put a strain on living arrangements and will pull the family apart....and cause the family to disindegrate .
Maybe that is what THEY want to do.

hmmm,
hope this all makes sense, i'm not used to Peak Oil.

helen

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by krax
Its been proven that Olive oil can be used as a fuel to drive cars, but it gives of a chip fat smell, why dont we work towards using that?

Hi Krax/
Actually there was a program on tv(didn't watch it) about using some type of oil(not sure olive or other type?), but at the rate of olive oil is going up and up, it would actually cost alot more then fuel.
It is better to eat or, well, cook with olive oil then to waste it as fuel, in my opinion.
At least our bodies will benefit.

And we can also try walking and see those at the top come meet us 'little' people below.

helen

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Sorry, I'm not getting your arguement.
It's ok for water bottling companies like Dannon, or Evian to take water from the ground, essentially free from a production standpoint, and mark it up some 1,000% (I don't know the exact figure but has to be high) and people will gladly pay it, no questions asked?
But then oil companies that must extract the oil from the ground (mining, exploration, off shore rigs, etc) refine it, and then ship it all over the world aren't allowed to make a profit? Where's the sense in that?
BTW - In our state, the government taxes the gas something like $0.50 for every gallon (think they aren't making money).

Also, I know it sounds like I'm defending big oil but I'm not. I don't think it's fair for them to be marking up gas to all time highs while taking in record profits. I just don't get the water-ok, oil-not ok arguement.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by krax

It's called biodiesel, WVO, and SVO...

Olives aren't a good source, but soy is.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Either way, why don't people use soya then as fuel, would save alot of money and might stop the war in Iraq lol

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
First of all, the bottled water is stored in a petroleum product (plastic bottle), packed with a petroleum product(shrink-wrap), and shipped with the use of a petroleum product (gasoline, diesel). Most of the overhead from water is tied directly to the petroleum business so it's slightly unfair to use this as a basis for cost comparison.

Secondly the profit margins on water are through the roof. I've seen claims that the profit margin on bottled water is as high as 200% in some cases.

An deli owner gives up
During the summer, sales of bottled water, God’s gift to deli owners, go through the roof. Unlike virtually anything else we sell, bottled water has a healthy profit margin—up to several hundred percent. Those $1 bottles of Poland Spring you buy? They cost us around 20 cents.

Market forces seek to control the essence of life -- water
"The normal profit margin on bottled water is an astounding 50 to 200
percent, which leaves Starbucks with a per-bottle profit more than 20
times its much-publicized largesse."

Essentially the bottled water industry is getting away with murder because water is essential for life and we rationalize the price based on the amount we purchase at a time (1 bottle @ $1.50). When you buy a small bottle of water you're paying for the convenience and packaging. The water itself is practically free. Even with the cost of filtering factored in it's probably no more than a penny per gallon. I've already shown an example above where you can get over 700 gallons of filtered purified drinking water for $1.73. That's 0.002 per gallon.

Size counts: the economic value of bottled water
If price per ounce were all that mattered, consumers would purchase only the largest package sizes of bottled water. However, they do not, suggesting that size matters...just not always the way people think it does.

TAKE a commodity that anyone can get for less than a penny per gallon, put it in a bottle, and sell it in every grocery store, convenience outlet, and vending machine in America.

The bottles you use to drink the water are discarded after each use. That means you have to pay for the packaging each time you buy water. Gasoline on the other hand is transported and used in refillable containers. Also note the size difference in the containers used. That means less packaging and more product.

It's true that gasoline cost more if you're duped into believing that you have to buy expensive bottled water. If you drink tap water you know that this is a myth.

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
So... all you'd have to do it go out and get a bio-diesel car, a good water filter, and you're set, well almost set. Sounds so simple…

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   

It's true that gasoline cost more if you're duped into believing that you have to buy expensive bottled water. If you drink tap water you know that this is a myth.

THAT'S the point! Nobody complains about buying bottled water marked up through the roof. But they do complain about gas. Wheres the sense?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join