It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden was 2 hours from a disaster worse than Chernobyl

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
There is new fission technology which removes many of the problems associated with conventional nuclear reactors.

1. It WILL NOT go into meltdown. Even if the entire cooling system is disabled, it will remain stable.
2. The fuel needs less processing.
3. The processing makes far less weapons-grade material.
4. The plant itself makes very little weapons-grade material.
5. The final waste is less hazardous and will be easier to neutralise.

It is called pebble bed.

And where was this process discovered? Australia which does not even have a nuclear power plant and just a little old research reactor. The Chinese are using this technology. Why are the rest of the world's plants not being converted?

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippichick

Why are the rest of the world's plants not being converted?

For the same reason many airplanes around the world are badly maintained. Profit. They calculate that some accidents are "worth it", so they can make more money. I guess that's why plants producing more weapons grade materials are more interesting and popular. And the result is more nuclear weapons. I guess if/when "everybody" gets nuclear weapons, we better start being more friendly to each other (ain't gonna work soon, unless there's a miracle...), or the world will blow up. The world needs those new power plants. Fast. But someone's gotta pay for it. If more money went into this "unprofitable" project, then maybe the world has a chance to avoid nuclear hell. There's no reason to give up, even if it looks bad. But there are strong forces at play, which is pulling in the other direction. Conventional wars are bad enough. Someone makes profit from those too. Less nukes, please...

Related Thread:
Thorium Power Plants Could Solve The World's Energy Problems

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Oh that is fantastic...

a distaster of huge proportion was averted. Thats always refreshing.

I was, in all sincerity pleased to see this cos I had a shocking nightmare about 1.5 yrs ago about a nuclear plant in Germany that went off bigger than Chenobyl... ho hum

*sigh. But still twitching a little over the abandoned Russian subs moored at Russian shipyards and lol, can't forget the ones at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. How could or why would anyone forget about them?

tic tic tic

[edit on 24-6-2007 by NJE777]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Incident at Nuclear Plant in Germany

Apparently, there's not only the nuclear plants in Sweden to worry about. The Swedes are also running nuclear plants elsewhere. Like this one in Germany. They had an incident last week...

Vattenfall under fire for blaze at German nuclear plant

6th July 2007

Swedish energy giant Vattenfall was forced to defend itself on Friday against criticism of its public handling of a fire last week at a German nuclear power plant.

[---]

Politicians and environmentalists have blasted Vattenfall for failing to reveal the full extent of the incident.

The chief whip of the environmentalist Green party, Renate Künast, even demanded that Vattenfall lose its licence to operate nuclear power plants in Germany.

Künast noted that there had been past incidents at other nuclear plants operated by Vattenfall, namely Forsmark in Sweden and in Brunsbüttel, Germany, in 2001.

"Each time, Vattenfall tried to cover up the true extent of the problem," she told the regional daily Berliner Zeitung.

[---]

But experts investigating the incident found "several unusual things when the reactor was shut down," including evidence of damage related to the fire.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Cover-up in Germany

Vattenfall has been accused of nuclear "cover-up" in Germany. They are not so popular in Germany at the moment. They failed to properly report problems at two nuclear plants. One of the plants was on fire and the flames actually reached the building housing the reactor. BUND demands the immediate closure of both plants, and the Green party said Vattenfall should lose their licence to operate in Germany.

Vattenfall slammed for nuclear 'cover-up'

8th July 2007

German authorities on Sunday slammed Swedish energy giant Vattenfall Europe for waiting several days to declare problems at a nuclear power plant in northern Germany.

[---]

Vattenfall has also been accused of failing to reveal the full extent of a fire at another nuclear power plant in Schleswig-Holstein on June 28th, just hours after the closure of the Brunsbüttel plant.

[---]

It was initially reported that the fire had been isolated from the plant's atomic reactor, but the social affairs ministry said the flames reached the building housing the reactor.

[---]

The German branch of Friends of the Earth, BUND, has demanded the immediate closure of both plants while the environmentalist Green party has said Vattenfall should lose its licence to operate nuclear power plants in Germany.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
German Probe - Offices and Control Room Searched

Vattenfall refused to release the name the operator on duty, and the offices and control room at the Krümmel plant were searched. Angela Merkel demands answers.

Vattenfall offices searched in German probe

13th July 2007

State prosecutor Klaus-Dieter Schultz said the offices as well as the control room at the Krümmel plant were searched after Vattenfall refused to release the name of the operator who was on duty when the fire broke out on June 28th.

[---]

The fire broke out just hours after the nuclear reactor at nearby Brunsbüttel, which is operated by the same company, had to be shut down temporarily because its capacity was overloaded.

[---]

German Chancellor Angela Merkel entered the fray this week with a demand that Vattenfall explain exactly what happened at the Krümmel plant.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Oh farout, I missed these replies. Urgh...sort of a bit scarey after my dream of Germany and then you post info about near misses.

I have to go to work, boo hoo but will be back to check out the info in detail.

thanks

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
State prosecutor Klaus-Dieter Schultz said the offices as well as the control room at the Krümmel plant were searched after Vattenfall refused to release the name of the operator who was on duty when the fire broke out on June 28th.

I don't mean to make light of this cos it just shows how vulnerable we all are with nuclear technology...but I have a feeling Homer Simpson has fallen asleep at work again or spilt his drink over the console.

That is funny but when you really think about it...

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
When you mentioned your dream, 4 days before the incidents in Germany, I didn't even know that the Swedes operated nuclear plants in Germany. I hope they're not in charge of too many nuclear plants around the world...

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Don't blame the technology (nuclear), blame the operators of the plant.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by porky1981

ah ha ha ha

just read this and just had to come back here!

I refer to the recent earthquake in Japan

The earthquake rattled Japan, triggered mudslides and set off a blaze at a nuclear power plant.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

Human error again? Mother Nature? Or nuclear technnology itself?

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777

ah ha ha ha

just read this and just had to come back here!

I refer to the recent earthquake in Japan

The earthquake rattled Japan, triggered mudslides and set off a blaze at a nuclear power plant.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

Human error again? Mother Nature? Or nuclear technnology itself?

maybe JAPAN's nuclear technology? obviously their plants weren't designed for a large earthquake....whereas most of the newer plants ARE.

Don't be ignorant.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Don't be ignorant.

Your telling me not to be ignorant!

That means you have assumed that I am.

Don't you know how to have a discussion?

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
July 25th:
Oskarshamn won a contest and won the title "Sweden's Springfield". Oskarshamn has a nuclear plant, like Springfield. Oskarshamn has 26,000 citizens, while Springfield has 30,000. Link (swedish) : Oskarshamn är Sveriges Springfield

July 26th:
Vattenfall Seeks Public Trust After Nuclear Slip-Up

July 27, 2007

Swedish power company Vattenfall AB pledged on Thursday to "restore public trust" in its nuclear activities after its image was tarnished by its handling of problems at two German plants.

[---]

"We are now working to restore the public's trust and prove that we are a responsible company and a competent and reliable nuclear power operator," the state-controlled group said in its report of lower second-quarter earnings.

...and then what happens? Doh!

July 30th @ 5:31pm :
A leak forces them to stop reactor O1 at Oskarshamn's nuclear power plant. Not a radioactive leak, but oil. Reactor O2 was already shut down for maintenance. Only reactor O3 is running right now at Oscarshamn. They say there is no danger of radioactive leak.

Links:
SchwedischerAtomreaktor nach Leck abgestellt (in German...)
Schweden nimmt Reaktor vom Netz (in German...)
Lekkasje på svensk atomkraftverk (in Norwegian...)
Lækage på svensk atomkraft-værk (in Danish...)
Lækage på det svenske atomkraftværk i Oskarshamn 30. juli 2007 - kl. 17:31 (in Danish...)
Reaktor i Oskarshamn stoppad (in Swedish...)
Reaktor i Oskarshamn stoppad(in Swedish...)

I was not able to find anything in english!

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Read a book concerning nuclear power plants. This type of thing occurs much more often than you'd be comfortable with.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
well so far I haven't been able to find anything in English regarding the lastest err... why is that?

But, I did find this info on Vattenfall:

Vattenfall: The Swedish energy firm's expansion into Europe's deregulated market is raising questions.

Source

Deregulated market?

They are also having union problems -> to do with cutting back 1000 staff. That was in 98 - 2002... not sure of the current situation.

This is quite an exceptional read:

A Swedish State company with nuclear safety problems

Sounds like a recipe for disaster:
Just a little tid bit from the above article...

Meltdown avoided by pure luck
Vattenfall also runs the Forsmark nuclear power plant, 60 miles north of Stockholm. On 25th July 2006 the main power supply to the Forsmark-1 reactor was interrupted. Two of the four backup generators failed to start, but luckily two were sufficient to run part of the plant's cooling system. If they hadn’t started there could have been a catastrophic meltdown.

I feel a little naseated...

[edit on 31-7-2007 by NJE777]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by discomfit
Read a book concerning nuclear power plants. This type of thing occurs much more often than you'd be comfortable with.

hmmm, your not wrong there!

I have spent 5 minutes online and the information is staggering.
Accidents, some fatal, workers being contaminated and coverups is alarming!

This is Indian Point Timeline:
www.ipsecinfo.org...

Here is a list of nuclear accidents up to 2005:
a4nr.org...

Pity there is nothing documented post 2005.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Right now there's a fire on Ringhals nuclear power plant in Sweden. They don't have the fire under control yet. More firefighters have been called to the scene.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Latest from Swedish media says the fire is now "under control". I see some foreign media claiming the fire is already out (2 hours ago?!), but I rather trust the Swedish (local) media on this. I suspect they might have reported that the fire was out, even when it was out of control. Seems to be under control now...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
New cracks have been found in control rods at Oskarshamn nuclear power plant.

New cracks found in Swedish nuke plant rods

27 May 09

New cracks have been discovered in control rods a nuclear reactor at the Oskarshamns nuclear facility in southern Sweden, less than six months after all the rods were replaced.

The old control rods were replaced after similar cracks were found, according to the Oskarshamns-Tidningen newspaper.

Swedish radiation authorities are now uncertain if the reactor can be restarted before the problem is solved.

[---]

The cause of the cracks is still unknown

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join