It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Show Your Flag America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
June 14th is Flag Day in the United States.

Regardless of your opinion of the current administration, today is your day to take pride in the symbol of your country. Display it with pride for a nation of people that have accomplished so much.

Flag Day, is a day for all Americans to celebrate and show respect for our flag, its designers and makers. Our flag is representative of our independence and our unity as a nation.....one nation, under God, indivisible. Our flag has a proud and glorious history. It was at the lead of every battle fought by Americans. Many people have died protecting it. It even stands proudly on the surface of the moon.

As Americans, we have every right to be proud of our culture, our nation, and our flag. So raise the flag today and every day with pride!
www.holidayinsights.com...

I'm a Canadian and don't have Old Glory to display, so raise a flag for me..........

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
does the flag still represent those aspects? is what the flag stands for dead? did Bush single handidly screw it up?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter
did Bush single handidly screw it up?

No single man can destroy the pride you have in your heart for the most recognized flag in the world. The flag still stands for everything America holds dear.
And you can vote again in two years........

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Originally posted by krossfyter
did Bush single handidly screw it up?

No single man can destroy the pride you have in your heart for the most recognized flag in the world. The flag still stands for everything America holds dear.
And you can vote again in two years........

i like your attitude. thnx for believing man.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
There is probably not a single dictatorship in the world that does not use nationalism extensively. Why is that? Every single wrenched dictatorship that you can think of (big and small) loves their flag, and it would seem loves the effect it has on their people even more.

It might be coincidental if you can make people nationalistic (love their block of land) then you can go some way to making them feel less rebellious. In Britain the government has publicly decided to push nationalism big time. Why's that?

Of course if I were American I would feel there are many things in my countries HISTORY I could be proud of. But when you look at the sorry state of politics today, the endemic lack of media competition and a million other things (perhaps even immigration) it makes me kind of sad (and I’m just a foreigner).
I think somebody needs to design a protest American flag that everyone can be proud of. How about one with the Elephant and Camel symbol of the Republican and Democratic Party turned upside down?
DemoRep (Demo Representation) is what I call the mask of your two party come one party state. But the American flag is kind of politically neutral as at least it belongs to whoever’s in government equally.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I fly my flag daily or almost for a variety of reasons. Number one being I'm proud to be American and I recognize the sacrifices others have made so I can fly my flag or not as I wish. I don't agree with much about the current administration but as was said we elect a new president in 2 years. Krossfyter it is up to us what we make our country either good or bad. The flag is a symbol of our right indeed our resposbility to make it the best it can be. Will we Americans make mistakes of course we will, but we will only fail if we lose faith in ourselves and our country. I look forward to a bright future I've had the pleasure of getting to know the up and coming generation the kids who just graduated from high school this year and I believe that we will see them accomplish great things.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
I fly my flag daily or almost for a variety of reasons. Number one being I'm proud to be American and I recognize the sacrifices others have made so I can fly my flag or not as I wish.

The American Flag stands for so much more than what is going on in the world today.
That symbol may get dragged through the mud at times, but it still stands for what is great in America.
The people of your country have a lot to be proud of............

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The flag is a war standard, as are any flags, thats the function that they serve. The Consitution should be our 'symbol', if you think about it.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Excuse me gallopinghordes but how do you (the American people) elect your OWN president in two years time when whoever is available for the job has been chosen by people other than you?
I know the people who will choose the next president will almost certainly belong to one of two parties (DemoRep). And I know that whoever wins will probably need a lot of media support (Rupert Murdoch being an iconic example). And I know that of some Rupert Murdoch’s investors (like China) might be put of, if he was supporting things they passionately did not believe in (e.g. anti trade with them).

Anyway without mainstream media support the more democratic aspects of party membership might not know who to vote for. But with the “right” level of mainstream media support the winning candidate will (in public) shine from the rest and win the floors approval.
My psychic senses also tell me that (as well as needing the support of the mass media ownership) the winning candidate will also need plenty of money from somewhere to fund his political quest. Perhaps it’s private? Perhaps it Halliburton? Friends of Israel? Who knows? But wherever it’s from it will probably be from the same people who tend to donate money to both of America’s mainstream political parties.

Of course whoever wins will ultimately be elected by the American people. But is this really choice?
Here’s an analogy: If I pick ten pigs that don’t look like a dog, and if I tell the public to pick one which most looks like a dog is that choice? Because it’s this sort of exercise I feel the U.S people are presented with every presidential election. And although last election may have been particularly bad for lack of differences between political rivals, I'm not claiming this state of play is particularly new ether.

But it looks like that both the problems the American people face, and the solutions being offered to them will barely change so long as DemoRep candidates come from the same indebted background, and face the same privately owned-controlled media scrutiny.
But yes at least the U.S flag does still represent democratic choice, it’s just a shame that some other process (possibly called corruption) gets there first. Choice?

Personally I think that when it comes to DemoRep elections the U.S people are nothing but one huge rubber stamping machine for the morally corrupt individuals that have made themselves destined for power. And I only assume they are morally corrupt because of the (full) track record of previous public U.S political figures.

If you’re proud of that for democracy then fly your flag. But I bet your ancestors would have been ashamed to know the way information control is used today. Its based upon getting the majority of people, not the minority (that’s partly why websites like this are tolerated). Nevertheless mainstream control has really damaged a once great political system. Not just in America; but probably also in Britain too (same type of problem, different kind of story).

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The True Patriot

I didn't fly my flag on Flag Day because I forgot.

That's about as American as it gets.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Another year has past, and the 14th of June has rolled around again.

Hoist a flag and take some pride in the symbol of your great nation.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
The flag is a war standard, as are any flags, thats the function that they serve. The Consitution should be our 'symbol', if you think about it.

i concur. flags don't embody what our country stands for, legal documents do. a piece of cloth doesn't stand for the struggles for freedom, it stands for war, and that's not what i want my country to stand for.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Thanks Ad for your kind thoughts on our Country.

I am and have always been proud of My Flag.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I have to agree with Nygdan and madness on the issue of the flag.

I don't fly an American flag, period, in fact I don't even own one, I do own a Union Jack (which
is hung vertically on my bedroom door), I particularly don't see the point in flags,
I mean in international events and such as an identifier I understand it, but beyond that
I find them quite useless, though they can be aesthetically pleasing.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I walked through a county courthouse square
On a park bench, an old man was sittin' there.
I said, "Your old court house is kinda run down,
He said, "Naw, it'll do for our little town".
I said, "Your old flag pole is leaned a little bit,
And that’s a ragged old flag you got hangin' on it".
He said, "Have a seat", and I sat down,
"Is this the first time you've been to our little town"
I said, "I think it is"
He said "I don’t like to brag, but we’re kinda proud of
That Ragged Old Flag

"You see, we got a little hole in that flag there,
When Washington took it across the Delaware.
and It got powder burned the night Francis Scott Key sat watching it,
writing "Say Can You See"
It got a rip in New Orleans, with Packingham & Jackson
tugging at its seams.
and It almost fell at the Alamo
beside the Texas flag,
But she waved on though.
She got cut with a sword at Chancellorsville,
And she got cut again at Shiloh Hill.
There was Robert E. Lee and Beauregard and Bragg,
And the south wind blew hard on
That Ragged Old Flag

"On Flanders Field in World War I,
She got a big hole from a Bertha Gun,
She turned blood red in World War II
She hung limp, and low, a time or two,
She was in Korea, Vietnam, She went where she was sent
by her Uncle Sam.
She waved from our ships upon the briny foam
and now they've about quit wavin' back here at home
in her own good land here She’s been abused,
She's been burned, dishonored, denied an' refused,
And the government for which she stands
Has been scandalized throughout out the land.
And she’s getting thread bare, and she’s wearin' thin,
But she’s in good shape, for the shape she’s in.
Cause she’s been through the fire before
and i believe she can take a whole lot more.

"So we raise her up every morning
And we bring her down slow every night,
We don’t let her touch the ground,
And we fold her up right.
On second thought
I *do* like to brag
Cause I’m mighty proud of
That Ragged Old Flag"

Johnny Cash 1932 2003

I cant remember a time where my family didnt fly a flag on the porch its always been flown and probably always will be.My Family has shed alot of blood for the ideals represented by that flag. When your an American who has spent more than half thier lives in foriegn lands that flag represent home and all the good and potential good that resides in America.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Thank-you DarkStormCrow,

That was well worth reading, and that's the type of pride I hoped to garner in this thread when I started it a year ago.

You have a flag that deserves respect, and should be a source of pride.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

I did not no that, thanks for the information.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
We always have a flag flying.

I'm into historical flags so one of these is always flying -

- Gadsen Flag (Don't Tred On Me)
- Bunker Hill flag
- Betsy Ross Flag
- Mass. Pine Tree Flag
- The Union Flag (43 stars/Civil War)
- The 50 star flag

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
We always have a flag flying.

So do we. Shows our pride for our country.

[edit on 15/6/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What do you use then if you don't have pride for your country?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join