It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23 - cultural meme or independent weirdness?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

first ever Rage Against The Machine gig on the 23rd of October 1991

Source.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
For 23 days, the area around Washington, D.C., was the hunting ground for a pair of serial snipers.

BAGRAM, Afghanistan - In what the Taliban claimed was an assassination attempt, a suicide bomber attacked the main gate of a U.S. military base Tuesday within earshot of Vice President
Dick Cheney. The explosion killed 23 people, including two Americans, and delivered a propaganda blow that undercut the U.S. military and the weak Afghan government it supports.

An Indonesian passenger jet overshot the runway and burst into flames on Wednesday as it landed in the cultural capital of Yogyakarta, but most of the 140 people on board survived.
Twenty-three people, including two Australians, died in the crash, health ministry national crisis center chief Rustam Pakaya said in a late afternoon text message to Reuters.

BEIRUT, Lebanon (CNN) -- New explosions shook Beirut early Thursday, hours after Israeli warplanes dropped 23 tons of bombs on a bunker where Hezbollah leaders were holed up, according to the Israel Defense Forces.

Gold Hits 23 Year High!

Gold futures in New York raced to their highest level in almost 23 years on Thursday morning, powered by investment fund buying following the breakout above the key $500 an ounce level earlier this week. (Almost 23 years is not 23 years, but let them play their game)

[edit on 11-3-2007 by Rotator]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It has been a long time since I posted but think about this: W is the 23rd letter of the Roman Alphabet and Psi is the 23rd in the Greek.

Any wonder President Bush (comonly refered to as W) has so many things against him? As for Psi, Psy-Ops (or is it really Psi-Ops?) comes very quickly to mind.

Either way, just more 23 weirdness that happens to be lightly put into code.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
W is interesting yes, as well as being the 23rd letter it also contains 5 points, 2 down 3 up.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Noticed this earlier, and as it's the 23rd, I thought it was fitting:

With 100,723 members generating 2,955,561 posts of substance that cover 261,197 topics in 141 different discussion forums, you could say "the truth is in here."

Source.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The 23rd brought us this story:

15 UK Sailors Captured At Gunpoint By Iranian Forces

Source.

Fifteen British navy personnel captured at gunpoint by Iranian forces had sailed into Iran's waters illegally, its government has insisted.

Source.

HMS Cornwall is patrolling Iraqi waters in accordance with Security Council Resolution 1723

Interestingly enough, HMS Cornwall was Commissioned on the 23rd April 1988

Source.

Relent ye skeptics.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Couldn't let this pass without comment, even if I am the only one who refuses to let this thread die:

Britain's Ministry of Defence are to publish their secret archive of UFO reports to dispel claims they have been hiding knowledge of alien visitors to the UK. The move follows the release of the French Government's UFO archive via a website which documents more than 1,600 sightings over three decades. So many visitors logged onto the French Space Agency (CNES) website at its launch in March that servers crashed

From where?

MoD OPENS ITS 'X- FILES' [from Fortean Times 223] (June 2007)

Source.

Found here

[edit on 30/4/07 by Implosion]

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This just made me laugh, most appropriate for ATS:

Definitions of debunk on the Web:

A slang term for the disproval of a proposal or theory, generally in an academic sense. It originated in 1923, when American novelist William Woodward (1874-1950) used it to mean to "take the bunk out of things."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debunk

Source.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
From this strange post found here: National Mall Layout and referencing this site: The Secret of Washington

Covenant Man

Just like the numerology of Serpent being 358 in Hebrew, Israel or covenant man has a number as well. This number is 231. When you measure from the 1776 base line to dead center of the fountain, you get 2.31 kilometers. This, like the distance from 1776 to the middle of the Washington Monument is measured in years: 231. 1776+231 is 2007.

and...

Fig 18b—Solar System on Dec 22, 2007. What is not shown is Pluto (which would be to Jupiter’s right) Saturn, which follows down from Venus, and Uranus and Neptune. Saturn and Neptune form the cross’s t-member. It is a 23/12 configuration. There will be a full moon on Dec. 23rd, 2007—right under Venus (literally, a woman with 12 stars around her head and the moon at her feet)

Chock-full of 23 references.

[edit on 6-5-2007 by nikelbee]

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
And who can forget this one? Ufo over Guernsey. It was sited on Monday, 23 April, 2007.

Implosion, I guess I'm another one who can't let this thread go.
I blame Rich, until he started this whole 23 thing, I never noticed the coincidences, now I see numbers everywhere.

Ignorance = bliss.

[edit on 6-5-2007 by nikelbee]

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Interesting thread. To add to the 23 list there is a movie called "23" and no its not the 2007 release it was "23 - Nichts ist so wie es scheint". I believe it translates to "23 - Nothing is as it seems". I'm actually reading The Illuminatus trilogy and this book is the inspiration for the lead character in the movie - Karl Koch.

For those not familiar with Karl Koch he had loose affiliations with the German CCC (Chaos Computer Club) in the 80s. Karl along with fellow German hackers Pengo and Markus Hess infiltrated US military networks and then sold the material to the KGB. Karl was heavily influenced by Robert Anton Wilson the co-writer of the Illuminatus trilogy. Karl was also a heavy user of coc aine. He was found burned to death in a forest but there has been no clear conclusion as to whether his death was a suicide or a murder (Stasi/East German secret service may have take him out given that he turned over his story to German authorities).

The connections to 23 are numerous aside from the trilogy. Karl even used the online hacker handle of Hagbard Celine. The movie is fantastic imho but only available in German. You can torrent the movie and the english subtitles can also be found. I would encourage anyone into the hacker scene and has interests in "23" to check this film out you won't be disappointed.

One final note. Karl Koch died May 23, 1989 (May being the "5"th month as well as the 23rd). Karl was also 23 years old.

brill

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I have to admit, as a Discordian myself, the 23 meme is not of much interest to me, having heard about it from my co-religionists for far too long. The consensus, among those I know anyway, is that it is just another extension of the "Law of Fives", which can be found in the Principia Discordia. Its a form of pattern recognition. You are told about the 23 meme and whatever significance it has, so you start to take notice more. Because you notice it more, it reinforces the impression of its importance. In essence, a self-sustaining feed back loop.

I'm sure occultists and those who take an interest in freemasonry and the Illuminati will likely disagree. And they may be right. But in my experience, you find what you are looking for, especially when it comes to numerology.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Well, it's that time again...

Started out in this thread, looking into Samuel Byck, and his plan to assassinate Nixon [with an airliner]:

February 22, 1974, Byck drove to the Baltimore/Washington International Airport. He shot and killed Maryland Aviation Administration Police Officer George Neal Ramsburg before storming aboard a DC-9, Delta Air Lines Flight 523 to Atlanta, which he chose because it was the closest flight that was ready to take off.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Ever watch Spaced?

Tim Bisley (Pegg) and Daisy Steiner (Stevenson) are two London twenty-somethings who meet by chance in a cafe while both are flat-hunting. Despite barely knowing each other, they conspire to pose as a young "professional" couple in order to meet the requisites of an advertisement for a relatively cheap flat in the distinctive building at 23 Meteor Street

Dae

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Mahjong game 'can cause epilepsy'

BBC News

A study by doctors in Hong Kong has concluded that epilepsy can be induced by the Chinese tile game of mahjong.

The findings, publish in the Hong Kong Medical Journal, were based on 23 cases of people who had suffered mahjong-induced seizures.

Far out!

Oh and 'mahjong-induced seizures' is 23 characters not including the space...

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Was kicking around on YouTube and thought I'd check out that infamous Miniseries "V" for fun.

I noticed, while watching the intros - "Chapter 23" on the side of the screen and jumped ahead in my viewing...

WOW.

This is what turned up. Talk about bizzare, the "coincidence" is just far too appropriate....bear with the intro.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
This is a beauty:

five-hour standoff Thursday that included snipers, tear gas and K-9 units ended when police stormed a Hutchinson apartment and found no one inside.

Police set up a security perimeter around The Clusters apartment complex, 23rd Avenue and Lorraine, around 2 p.m. Thursday. Officers believed Brian Green, 21, of Hutchinson, had barricaded himself inside an apartment.

Source.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
James Ussher, Archbishop of Armagh, Ireland, proclaimed after careful study of the Bible and the begats that the Earth was created on October 23, 4004 BC..

Source.

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join