It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt Printed Cartoons Months Ago, Yet No One Cared

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I know, I know. We don't need another thread to discuss these Danish cartoons of Muhammad, yet I found something interesting that might be lost in another thread. You see last October, Al Fagr, one of Egypt's largest newspapers printed these same cartoons that are said to be the cause for such a huge disturbance. I find it odd that one cared at the time.

Brussels Journal - Cartoons in Egypt: Last October
While most British and American mainstream media refuse to print the cartoons "out of respect for Muslims," one of Egypt's largest papers Al Fagr printed them last October, during Ramadan.

Guess what? Not a single Egyptian stormed the paper's offices to burn it down, not a single Jihadist threatened to assassinate its journalists. And not a single Egyptian embassy was torched in neighbouring countries.

Isn't it odd that now, after months of waiting, that these cartoons would inflame the Muslim world? Egypt has a considerable Muslim population so it's not like they didn't notice when the cartoons were published and discussed. One of the cartoons was even printed right on the front page with an invitation to see the special report inside.

Blog - Freedom For Egyptians
Here is below the front page where the Prophet Muhammed(PBUH) cartoon from Jyllands-Posten was published.

Visit blog to see several pictures of the paper on this blog

So who is behind all these riots? Are they just an excuse for the Muslim world to riot and stomp their feet? What is to be gained from these problems? I've heard it said that possibly it is to gather European support for an invasion of Iran. Others say it is to unite the Muslim world against the West. One thing is for sure, someone is stirring the pot and the cartoons have little to do with the problem.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Of course this isnt really about cartoons. Your sources certainly seem to prove this fact. At this point, does it really matter anymore?

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I posted a scan of that pictures here

I also think this rage is NOT about the danish cartoons.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

This image has been around awhile and it wasn't until recently that it caused problems. The time has come for the civilized world to put Islam on notice. These senseless acts of violence will not be tolerated and every nation in the world is not going to become an Islamic theocracy. We either do it now and respond appropriately or we will live in slavery.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
News like this takes time to get around the world... not every one has the internet with up to date news.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The irony of this controversy simple highlights, if not point out, just how hypocritical some in Islam really are, along with those PC proponents.

This so-called controversy is supposed over the fact that there is an Islamic prohibition against depicting Mohammed under any circumstances, yet, if one takes the time to research a bit, one will discover that there are multitudes of images, some put out by Islam, that depict Mohammed, like here:
Depictions of Mohammed Throughout History

My understanding is that Denmark is fighting back, one word: pork.
Look for subsection: "FOOD FIGHT"

seekerof

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Just a question. How do we know that the image depicted is of Mohammed?
I notice some Arabic writing on the turban. Does this say "I am Mohammed" or something to that effect? When I saw the cartoon, without being able to read Arabic or, for that matter, Danish, I did not immediately think of the image as being that of Mohammed. I thought that the image represented a mullah or an Ayatollah or, simply, a generic depiction of a "stereotypical" Arab (as, perhaps, seen through the eyes of a Danish cartoonist).

By the way, what does Mohammed even look like? I've never seen a picture of him, you know.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Just a question. How do we know that the image depicted is of Mohammed?
I notice some Arabic writing on the turban. Does this say "I am Mohammed" or something to that effect?

No, that is the Kalimah

I thought that the image represented a mullah or an Ayatollah or, simply, a generic depiction of a "stereotypical" Arab (as, perhaps, seen through the eyes of a Danish cartoonist).

The drawings were accompanied by an article on self-censorship and freedom of speech. Jyllands-Posten (the Danish media) commissioned twelve cartoonists for the project and published the 12 cartoons.

By the way, what does Mohammed even look like? I've never seen a picture of him, you know.

Depictions of Mohammed Throughout History

In museums within the Muslim world (including the Topkapi in Istanbul, and in Bokhara and Samarkand, Uzbekistan, and Haroun-Walat, Iran [a suburb of Isfahan] ) are famous depictions.

e.g. Yarcofin here posted a depiction of him in the U.S. Supreme Court, right above the judge's seat:

external image

Related ATS links:
ATS: Denmark On Muhammeds Naughty List
ATS: Some of the cartoons inserted by radical Danish imams?
ATS: Cartoon protests turn deadly

[edit on 10-2-2006 by Riwka]

top topics

join