It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laughing at Islam = Racist. Laughing at Other Religions = okay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This last September a Danish newspaper named Jyllands-Posten ran a series of editorial cartoons poking fun at Islam. You may not have heard much about it but there has been quite an uproar about these drawings of Mohamed. Apparently drawing pictures of Mohamed is considered a bad thing to Muslims. After several organized protest and cries of despair from several ambassadors the UN has decided to investigate the manner.

UN to Investigate Racism of Danish Cartoonists
The 56 member countries of the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) are currently meeting in Mecca to discuss joint action against Denmark because the Danish government has refused to call Jyllands-Posten to account and restrict the freedom of the Danish press. According to Muslims it is blasphemy to depict the prophet and the paper should apologize for having done so. Eleven Muslim ambassadors to Copenhagen had asked the Danish Prime Minister to ensure that such an apology would be forthcoming.

In a message to the OIC, the UN’s High Commissioner for Human Rights states: “I understand your concerns and would like to emphasize that I regret any statement or act that could express a lack of respect for the religion of others.” In a complaint to the High Commissioner, the 56 Islamic governments asked Louise Arbour to raise the matter with the Danish government “to help contain this encroachment on Islam, so the situation will not get out of control.” Muslim radicals have threathened to murder the Danish cartoonists and take revenge with bloodshed in Denmark.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Apparently someone forgot to mention that these meetings of protest for equality of Islam happened in a town (Mecca) where holding prayer meetings that are not Islamic can get you arrested. You won't find a Bible or a book on practicing Hindu in a bookstore in Mecca because they are illegal. So Muslims demand exemption from satire (which I might add Christianity is not exempt from) in other countries yet are willing to make criminal the public display of any other religion when they are in control. Disgusting! to say the least.

I can understand Islamic clerics dislike but do we really need a UN investigation into an editorial satire cartoon? It seems that the Danish newspaper's test of the fear of Islam censoring the press was not unfounded.

You can see the silly cartoons here if you missed the link. Half of them poke fun at the paper as well.
Caution! Satire of Muslims. View at your own risk.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Ann Coulter recognized this years ago:

from Slander, pp. 5-6; published June 2002

Liberals hate America, they hate flag-wavers, they hate abortion opponents, they hate all religions except Islam, post 9/11. Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do. They don't have the energy. If they had that much energy, they'd have indoor plumbing by now."

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
With the debate of freedom of speech aside, the bottom line is, those are quite offensive. I can't understand why someone would not have a problem with insulting/offending a people's way of life that is perfectly legitimate. It goes a bit beyond 'satire' you have to admit.

Just because Christians don't complain when their religion is insulted, or more accurately, you don't hear as much about it, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and it doesn't mean that Muslims should just stand back and let it happen.

I am against just complaining and causing a noise though. I believe that the truth and thus justice is easily accesible and all these matters need is an impartial half an hour discussion between the 'two sides', the Muslims will state their case that if they believe is legitimate will be able to prove that it is, and vice versa. Everyone needs to trust and talk to each other.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Ann Coulter recognized this years ago:

from Slander, pp. 5-6; published June 2002

Liberals hate America, they hate flag-wavers, they hate abortion opponents, they hate all religions except Islam, post 9/11. Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do. They don't have the energy. If they had that much energy, they'd have indoor plumbing by now."

don't quote ann coulter, she's also the one that said we bomb mecca. that's definately going to help us out a lot...

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
oh yeah those are hilarious

[/sarcasm]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
HaHa, the one with the eyes blanked out is classic

The Aladin style swordsman one's pretty funny too, i love stereotypes

I can see why this would be offensive if it was published day after day, but once or twice every now and then would be acceptable in my book.

There was a cracker in the UK Metro today, it had the oil depot smoke cloud in the background and in the foreground was the UK Kyoto Co2 emissions target in a bin

Wish I could find a pic of it!

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Well, Ms. Coulter has it all wrong. She complains of liberals yet espouses racial, prejudiced, statements that have really no direct correlation to anything.

The poor girl needs to get off of whatever she is riding, and get real.

Anyone who listens and heeds her hate speech needs to visit a psychological center.

This liberal is a veteran, loves America, loves GOD, and dislikes Ann Coulter.

Nuff said.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Those that feel the need to poke fun at Islam need to understand that unlike Christians who will pray for you, They will find you and... well, I think you know what I mean. Some people are just risk takers. We have a scripture in our Bible that says "what you sow, you reap".

Fromabove

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sal88
Just because Christians don't complain when their religion is insulted, or more accurately, you don't hear as much about it, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and it doesn't mean that Muslims should just stand back and let it happen.

thats because christians are called radical fundamentalists who are against freedom of speach when we complain of such things, while the muslims are just "defending their faith." the point is the double standard you just confirmed with that comment.

their must be ten active threads here right now that attack christianity, but islam is perfectly ok....forget the fact that in most christian dominated countries, islam is openly allowed, but in most islamic countries it is against the law to openly worship christ. how about that double standard?

[edit on 23-12-2005 by snafu7700]

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This blog, I beleive, has the cartoons. However the link to fullsize pics timesout.

I'd like to see the cartoons to see if they are racist.

Anyone think that its strange that this google image search: islamic cartoons denmark, isn't giving any results? At least not now. Is it possible that google is disabling the results for combinations like that? It does the same for 'austria' too.

According to Muslims it is blasphemy to depict the prophet and the paper should apologize for having done so

What a crock. No one has the right to tell someone else that they must obey their religion. Denmark should tell these 'scholars' to 'suck it'.

[edit on 23-12-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
This blog, I beleive, has the cartoons. However the link to fullsize pics timesout.

I'd like to see the cartoons to see if they are racist.

There are only two that really stand out as kind of funny.

I had all twelve at one point but I can't seem to locate them now.

EDIT:
Here's one of Jesus i thought was funny:
(contains profanity)
putfile.com.../30314133287.jpg&s=x11

[edit on 23-12-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Nygdan,

quote: According to Muslims it is blasphemy to depict the prophet and the paper should apologize for having done so

What a crock. No one has the right to tell someone else that they must obey their religion. Denmark should tell these 'scholars' to 'suck it'.

I agree with you. No one should be able to dictate to another but fanatics who promote anything d that on a daily basis. Don't forget that this is not the first time that religion as well as a goverment have condemned somoen for thier literary works.
Remember Salman Rushdie and his book Satanic Verses? Well for those who do not remember, this book was not kind the Islamic religion. So in 1989 the Iranian Muslim leader Ayatollah Khomeini issued a death warrant for Rushdie. This fatwa is still in effect today and I beleive the bounty on Rushdie's death now stands at a $2.8m.
Santanic Verses an Islam

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I so wish people would just lighten up! There is no law that says that I must show respect for anyone's thoughts, actions, opinions or religion.

I like Carlos Mencia. He pokes fun at everyone equally!

I make some pretty radical, racial, sexist comments in the privacy of my home, though, that I would never print in a paper or say in public, because I know my audience (my husband) will understand and not be offended.

I don't like it when people set out to offend a certain group of people, but I also think many people are just waiting for something that they can be offended by. I see nothing requiring an investigation in these cartoons! Please!

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
So drawing a picture of Mohammed (just a picture) is incorrect....but having family guy poking fun at Jesus and that sort of blasphemy is OK??! F-that bull#, I'll draw Muhammed with his underpants on and nobody will stop me.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
thats because christians are called radical fundamentalists who are against freedom of speach when we complain of such things, while the muslims are just "defending their faith." the point is the double standard you just confirmed with that comment.

So you're saying that Christians who complain are condemned but Muslims aren't? Do you have any evidence to support that? I have never had that impression.

their must be ten active threads here right now that attack christianity, but islam is perfectly ok
ATS definitely has plenty of threads that slate Islam.

....forget the fact that in most christian dominated countries, islam is openly allowed, but in most islamic countries it is against the law to openly worship christ. how about that double standard?

A bit too general you have to admit. That aside though, what difference does that make?
Are you saying we should treat people based on what their so called 'people' do to our so called 'people' when they actually have not commited those actions.
Or were you saying that Islam is actually intolerant of anything foreign and therefore we should not be tolerant of those who follow the religion? If so then I have to tell you that Islam and those who follow it do respect the rights of the people.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Unfortunalty that is what our world is comming to, where if you try and poke fun at people, they get mad. Its called a Political Cartoon. They are meant to be funny and oke fun at things. I see no need for this to be investigated. Its like a saying I heard once, "Right now in the world, if you try to hold a White race rally, even if you mean no harm, you are going to be labeled a racist. But at the same time if any other race group holds a race rally, they are not considered racist, but people speaking their minds. It just goes to show you how Politicaly Correct the dumbass people have become."
I can not remember who said it, but I thought it showed an example of the double standard our world faces.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700

their must be ten active threads here right now that attack christianity, but islam is perfectly ok....forget the fact that in most christian dominated countries, islam is openly allowed, but in most islamic countries it is against the law to openly worship christ. how about that double standard?

[edit on 23-12-2005 by snafu7700]

Yep, I have to wonder why, all those posters who have to repeat every false doctrine used to attack Christianity (regardless of how often they're corrected) haven't jumped on this one to tell Moslems how "foolish" and "blindly lead" they are to believe in their faith and mock them mercilously, when the topic is laughing at religion?

Is it because they hate God and really do think Christianity is the true faith or are they just scared of having to go to ground like Salmin Rushdie.

I made the point in another post that in Australia we're known for our irreverant humour, no one faith was exempt from being laughed at, and we were also famous for all getting on. Then all this "protect the sensativity of the Islamics" garbage got pushed on us from the ruling elite and well, we end up with riots in Sydney.

I still think it's hard to hate and kill people you laugh with and I think Australia's irreverance proved it and the new laws that make it and offence to laugh at, about and with each other, prove it more.

I also think the most "peacefull" "religion" was "everyone can give and take a 'serve' ". R.I.P. the Australian Way.

[edit on 23-12-2005 by suzy ryan]

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
People are afraid and especially virulent against what they know to be true. Schopenhaur discovered that tactic of the human mind in the 19th century. People hate Christianity because deep inside they know it's basic tenets to be true. Ever wonder why so much false info (in particular shallow stuff) get's out so quickly on Christianity? There's why. Also I think it's hypocritical for muslims to make absurd demands such as not wanting westerners to depict Mohammed in Western newspapers when they behead all Muslims who convert to other religions in their countries (or at least make them second class citizens).

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

So you're saying that Christians who complain are condemned but Muslims aren't? Do you have any evidence to support that? I have never had that impression.

how about here where the government is attacking a church for preaching an anti-war sermon while letting certain mosques continue to preach hatred against the US:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

or this article in which christian military chaplains are being attacked for using the name of jesus, while chaplains of other faiths are allowed to preach as they wish:

www.washtimes.com...

ATS definitely has plenty of threads that slate Islam.

ok, then lets see some (and i dont mean skippy's bash all things arabic threads...i means serious studied attack of islam, such as the attacks against christianity below). here are a few (recent and active) christian bashing threads for your perusal:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

and these are simply the ones i have chosen to partake in. there are several active right now that were just too absurd for me to bother with.

Or were you saying that Islam is actually intolerant of anything foreign and therefore we should not be tolerant of those who follow the religion? If so then I have to tell you that Islam and those who follow it do respect the rights of the people.

really? is that why it is against the law to practice christianity openly in most muslim nations? how muslims act in western societies is completely different from the way they treat westerners in their society.

no, i am not saying we should be intolerant of islam. i am saying that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. if you are allowed to ridicule christianity in the name of freedom of speech, you should apply that to all religions, which doesnt seem to be the case here.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Does any know if Islam has had any prophets after Muhammand ? I am a Christian, and I don't think all Islamics are bent on killing. But they have their scripture and I just wanted to know if it is subject to revelation by a prphet or council etc.

Fromabove

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join