It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Breaking News** Al-Qaeda Claims Responsibility for Power Outage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 02:30 PM
link   
It's on MSNBC right now, there's no hard evidence though at this time. More to come....

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Have you heard any more? Do you think they did it or just using this as an opportunity to get publicity... a kind of "Ha, we shut all the power down."

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I think we can rest assured that if Al-Qaeda did it, it's because THEY want us to believe this.

Perhaps we're being primed.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
If so...why claim responsibility for an inconvenience?

I wasn't even aware of a single death attributed to the blackout....

If they are truly claiming responsibility for this, then they are shooting themselves in the foot...and they really have no idea what makes us tick at all...

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I have searched and have not been able to find any news on this. Have you anything new?

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
If so...why claim responsibility for an inconvenience?

I wasn't even aware of a single death attributed to the blackout....

If they are truly claiming responsibility for this, then they are shooting themselves in the foot...and they really have no idea what makes us tick at all...

two people in canada and one person in america died because of the power failure. the one in america was from a fire from a lit candle.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The gov. says they are taking Al-Qaeda claims with a giant grain of salt. They are not however, ruling out the possibility that a hacker caused the blackout!

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   

two people in canada and one person in america died because of the power failure. the one in america was from a fire from a lit candle.

Hardly seems worth claiming responsibility for, eh?

Perspectively speaking...

"Ha, Ha, you dirty American pig scums, I made you drop your gum....nya nya!
"

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I'd say the cyberwars have started.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Hardly seems worth claiming responsibility for, eh?

Perspectively speaking...

"Ha, Ha, you dirty American pig scums, I made you drop your gum....nya nya!
"

yeah, but it could cause fear if everybody thought al quada was capable of something like this and could strike again.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This kind of thing, if it was an act of cyber-terrorism, is really kind of a given. Nothing is full-proof, and once these networks are hardened, another, softer target will be attacked then... All you can do is react to it, and build better mousetraps... If they think they can cause us fear, by shutting some power off...then they really need to reassess their ideas of us....as it's just annoying, and ticks us off, not frightening us...

Keep this crap up, and they just may find us more willing to just say the hell with it, and turn the Middle East into a few more US territories....
In other words, we'd give 'em something to cry about....

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   
My grandma told me about this and right away I went to ATS as always. Noone had said anything right then but shortly after ill saw this post. Then I started to search google. Take a look at the link I found.

www.wired.com...

Its from 1998 I believe. About how it would be possible for a haker to switch the power off. Now, are the sand monkeys that Al-Qaeda are smart enough to hack into a computer system of any kind??? I think not. However they do have the moeny and the allies to help them out with this sort of thing.

Nightwalker

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Actually we know who was responcible for the blackout.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   

This kind of thing, if it was an act of cyber-terrorism, is really kind of a given. Nothing is full-proof, and once these networks are hardened, another, softer target will be attacked then... All you can do is react to it, and build better mousetraps... If they think they can cause us fear, by shutting some power off...then they really need to reassess their ideas of us....as it's just annoying, and ticks us off, not frightening us...

Keep this crap up, and they just may find us more willing to just say the hell with it, and turn the Middle East into a few more US territories....
In other words, we'd give 'em something to cry about....

well said. people really aren't afraid of climbing up 20 flights of stairs. just really annoyed. if it was al quada , they would probably hijack a couple of planes to take advantage of the situation.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The power grids are vulnerable. Everyone knows that, including terrorists. I find it kind of ironic that throughout the crisis, no major civil unrest happened in America while "peacefull Canada" had massive lootings in Toronto. I was scared for my friends there and tried to call them.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Actually we know who was responcible for the blackout

Hehe, Captain Chaos, and General Disarray!

oui

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalker

Now, are the sand monkeys that Al-Qaeda are smart enough to hack into a computer system of any kind??? I think not.

Nightwalker

Don't estimate them, friend. Its amazing what you can learn from a book about TCP/IP, Firewalls, and Unix. The information is out there, and the programs needed are there too...

With Telnet, and a bit of knowledge of how network protocols work, you have the potential to raise cyber hell... at least in my eyes...

Just type in "Denial of service" (DoS) into any search engine, and you'll see what I mean.

`Peace, Love, and Happiness to all beings...

[Edited on 18-8-2003 by oui]

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 04:18 PM
link   
sir gazrok it seems you've underthought the situation, why wouldn't al-qaeda take resposiblity for this? it could be they are maybe trying to show the usa what they are capable of, kinda like testing your weapons before u use them, which just happens to be what most countries do before using them, and it doesn't kill anyone however still enstills the ideals of fear into the minds of the enemy, also what does the amount of dead mean to anything? do u think the government cares about people dying?? HA! they might actualy try and stop some it then instead of making it lmao

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 04:26 PM
link   
...choppers patrolling the powerlines just a day before the grid collapsed on the east coast.

...new barbed wire on top of the fence at the substation near my house about a month ago.

... I wonder what's up?.

I think this is only the beginning,the amount of damage that could be done to the country by messing with the grid could amount to something much bigger than just an inconvenience.

I hope that this does not happen in the winter,this would be a very bad thing.

I have a hangover.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Actually we know who was responcible for the blackout

Hehe, Captain Chaos, and General Disarray!

Actually I firmly placed blame on a Cantonese child that moved from HK to TO. His name is Jon Kwan and he complained that he could not sleep due to jet lag. I surmised that he caused the outage. It was just friendly ribbing amongst friends. Yet I still have a red card...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join