It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Ecstasy can block cancer growth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Ecstasy along with other anti-depressant drugs such as Prozac and weight loss pills have ability to stop cancer growth according to researchers at the University of Birmingham.

news.bbc.co.uk
A University of Birmingham team tested the impact of amphetamine derivatives such as Ecstasy and weight-loss pills, and antidepressants including Prozac.

They found the drugs were effective at blocking cancer growth in more than half of lymphoma (white blood cell cancer) samples tested.

Cancer growth was slowed down in nine out of the 17 samples when they were exposed to antidepressants, and in 11 out of 17 when exposed to one or both of the amphetamine derivatives

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not sure how this discovery is going to turn out. Justification for the need to take ecstasy in order to eliminate cancer growth?

Should be interesting to see the effect this will have on the FDA.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Wow, that's a strange development. The side effects of the drug are extremely serious, so I wonder how that will be weighed against possible human pharmacological studies.

Sadly, this will probably be cited by many individuals as an excuse to use this devestating drug.

Zip

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
not enought reason to use the drug... a null effect sythesized version could be made that is safe
EX is still dangerous... bathtub exctacy is still capable of killing you years later from one tab... it happened to a girl that went ot our school...
not common, but is it worth it?

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Serious side effects or not, cancer is often an assured death... And ALL of chemo and radiation therapy have drastic side effects (I know).

So at least let people have some good times on the X

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well I'd never have thought I'd hear this one.

I've popped a few pills in my time, and I've got to say they are amazing, but they are quite damaging and can leave you feeling a little unhealthy for the next few days. I wouldn’t recommend doing pills regally, especially for medical use, sure, they *might* help prevent cancer, but they'll give you brain damage.

However, I recommend you all try them once, you'll have a lot of fun: D

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I would like to know more about "bathtub ecstacy" and where you folks are getting your data. There is no evidence that MDMA alone causes death or health problems in humans. The people you mentioned did not die from MDMA. In fact, it was used as a psychotheraputic tool during the seventies before it became a party-drug.

Erowid.org is a good place for educating yourself about drugs both legal and 'illegal'. Here's a quote from that site:

Before it was made illegal, MDMA was gaining a reputation among the psychiatric community as a valuable therapeutic tool. People under its influence often report seeing their lives in a whole new light. "I was completely blown away the first time I did X" said the same person quoted above. "I saw some of my problems that I didn't even know I had! All of a sudden, It seemed like the source, nature and sometimes even the solution of all my personal difficulties were completely obvious." Surfacing of repressed memories has also been reported.

Despite the legal risks surrounding Schedule I drugs, some therapists are still using MDMA in their practices. For a report on the subjective experiences and psychological/behavioral sequelae of 20 psychiatrists who took MDMA, see "Phenomenology and Sequelae of 3,4 Methylenedioxy-methamphetamine Use" (Liester, Grob, Bravo, and Walsh) in J. Nervous and Mental Disease, Vol 180, No. 6, June 1992, Serial No. 1315.

Most people find the MDMA state so valuable by itself that it's not clear there's much to be gained from combining MDMA with most other substances (though the combination of of MDMA with '___' seems to have a strong following). Further, combining drugs ("polydrug use" and "polydrug abuse") complicates the medical and behavioral safety picture.

I would encourage you to read more on the subject, particularly "TIKAL: The Continuation" for a more correct understanding of why people do this drug and what its effects are.

[edit on 12-5-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Arsenic will also block cancer growth. Excstasy is a dangerous drug that interferes with brain chemicals. If it has any anti-cancer properties, the FDA isn't simply going to permit it, its going to permit companies to research the drug and produce non-toxic versions of it, sort of like with pot.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
People can just take a lead from this reasearch and start getting the X OTC, so to speak

It's street price compares favorably with most chemotherapy drugs.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Ah this story is 'Bias'? You 'No' voters crack me up.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I voted YES, for the record

A good story.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

smallpeeps
I would like to know more about "bathtub ecstacy" and where you folks are getting your data. There is no evidence that MDMA alone causes death or health problems in humans. The people you mentioned did not die from MDMA. In fact, it was used as a psychotheraputic tool during the seventies before it became a party-drug.

you are correct, MDMA is fairly safe relativly speaking...
but how many underground drug labs can get the mix just right, so that it doesn't form any of the extremely damageing close cousins...
a "bad" ex trip can leave someone brain damaged, suicidally depressed, can cause siezures...
most ex that is on the streets is produced in someones basement...
I would have to check with my pharmacy friend, but there are some very easy ways to screw up the recipe... and kill or hurt someone in the process...
also, synthetic herion is often sold as EX...

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
You no voters crack me up? Sorry, not the drug in question.

Disclaimer: ATS doesn't condone any drug use.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
edit: nevermind. Been said already.

[edit on 2005/5/12 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I have faith in our members.

Fine line/ on the right side.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Intrepid, we're in a time warp. I edited just as you posted.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
You no voters crack me up? Sorry, not the drug in question.

Honestly, I wrote that totally unaware of the obvious pun.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Ecstasy along with other anti-depressant drugs such as Prozac and weight loss pills have ability to stop cancer growth according to researchers at the University of Birmingham.

I can't imagine how anyone can think that there is bias in that completely unbiased summary of the article.

MDMA is fairly safe relativly speaking...

Excepting of course its tendency to 'bleach brain cells'. MDMA (if i rememver correctly) works by getting brain cells to release a lot of serotonin, while simultaneously and literally 'blocking' the 're-uptake' of the serotonin. This causes one to roll. Unfortunately, the serotonin concentrations can get high enough that dopamine 're-uptake' channels take the serotonin up, putting them into vesicles where dopamine is supposed to be processed. The serotonin gets processed mistakenly, resulting in, as a waste product, hydrogen peroxide. It literally bleaches brain cells.

Its rather naive for anyone (not directiny this at anyone in particular btw) to state that a chemical that modifies the brain's chemistry in such a way is 'safe'. The human brain is complex, as an organ, and the psyche is extremely complex also, and entirely chemically dependant. Consider that, one can give a pyschotic anti-psychotics and they behave rather normally. Psychedellic drugs and such, like E, in a way do the opposite. One can't expect that to not have repurcussions. Especially when tightly regulated medecine that has to be sold to Mr and Mrs Staightlaced John Doe Public can have sideeffects, just consider what 'accidental' drugs that are entirely unregulated, in terms of contaminants concentrations and processes, can do.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Rolling, rolling, and I'm not even in the car.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

nygdan
Its rather naive for anyone (not directiny this at anyone in particular btw) to state that a chemical that modifies the brain's chemistry in such a way is 'safe'. The human brain is complex, as an organ, and the psyche is extremely complex also, and entirely chemically dependant.

I forgive you, you were obviously skimming...
I was saying very carefully RELATIVELY... ie. it is safer than the bathtub versions that will kill you with one dose...
rather than bleach your brain over time... besides... bleaching the brain is done all the time...
it would explain why bleach blondes have lower test scores than real blonds... j/k

agreed?
agreed!

read, don't skim... that makes an A$$ out of you and... well.... you...

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Good point on the ide effects of chemo. You lose your hair and that's okay but feeling down for a few days after taking a pill is just too much. Typical of the double standards relating to 'narcotics'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join