It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last Words to Sheriffs, "Don't Kill Me, Man, Don't Kill Me"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Gwinnet County, GA District Attorney Danny Porter recently decided not file charges in the case of a man tasered to death by sherrifs. The man was originally detained after becoming violent at his home and knocking down a police officer. The man was then taken to a jail where he was put in an adult-restraining chair. To calm the man down, sherrifs tasered the man repeatedly, at one point tasering him 5 times in 1 minute. After the man stopped fidgeting in his chair, police stopped tasering him. What they didn't realize at first was that he stopped fidgeting because he was unconscious.

"The evidence and particularly the videotape raised questions that were most appropriately answered by the grand jury," Porter said. "The grand jury declined to go forward."

Melvin Johnson, an attorney representing Williams' wife and four children, has seen the videotape.

He said he disagrees with the district attorney's decision. He has asked the FBI to investigate.

"He was pleading for his life," Johnson said. "They claim they were trying to immobilize him but he was already in handcuffs. They were clearly trying to inflict pain on a person they thought had injured one of their fellow officers."

Williams was arrested May 25, 2004, during a domestic disturbance at his home.

According to police reports, Williams' family said he refused to take his epilepsy medication and was acting violent and irrational.

NUO%60NTUbTTUWUXUTUZTZUUUWU_UaUZUcUZUcTYWYWZV]Atlanta-Journal Constitution

I find this story very disturbing. First of all, police would like to portray tasers as non-lethal, but hundreds have been killed because of them. Secondly, police were made known that this was a handicapped man. If he is a sufferer of epilepsy, he is not going to be able to readily control his movements, especially if he is having a bad episode.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how people expect the citizens of a country to respect police officers when these stories keep surfacing. This abuse of power boils my blood something terrible.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This is very sad. There are so many people with power that should not have it. So many that abuse what power has been given to them by a system that is in need of total recall. In a world were we have no room for screw ups, once should be enough, then replace existing power with alternate personal next in line to that particular "thrown".
Not to start up a huge debate over old subjects..just a simple question..please do not slam me for asking. Could this be the non-lethal weapon John Titor talked about?

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Tasering someone who is already restrained is torture, pure and simple.

It is not a tranquilzer or sedative, that would calm someone down.

These police offices are guilty of murder. Straight up and Straight down to infinity.

Power without responsibility is being a gangster.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
i

I'm sorry, but I don't know how people expect the citizens of a country to respect police officers when these stories keep surfacing. This abuse of power boils my blood something terrible.

I do agree with you, it is very sad, but i think part of "the human condition" . I know you should not judge the actions of the many, by the actions of the few, but i think "enforcers of the law" SHOULD be held to a higher standard. If they are found to be abusing thier power, they should not be able to "enforce the law" any more!

----spectrewithin

[edit on 30-4-2005 by SpectreWithin]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
These so called Cops were way out of line, and should lose thier jobs and be held accountable for that man's life....they need to go to court for murder or man slaughter or whatever that's called.

No excuse, thier actions were UNSAT.

First of all, police would like to portray tasers as non-lethal, but hundreds have been killed because of them

As for the taser issue, they are a much better alternative for criminals.
If someone rushed a cop, the cop can use the taser gun instead his real gun. They save more lives in the end than they take away.
Hundreds oppossed to thousands that could die if the cop would have chosen his firearm instead of the taser.

But yes, there needs to be strict guidlines on the use of tasers and penalties for breaking guidlines.

BTW: These are a few bad cops, you can't judge an entire force or nation by the acts of a few loonies out there on a power trip.

[edit on 30/4/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I understand that sometimes tasers are necessary, and in this case, it was deemed necessary when it wasn't. The problem with not judging all officers because of a few loons out there is...how do you tell the loons from the ones who want to help? Isn't it better to remain skeptical of all, but keep an open mind that there may be a few good ones?

[edit on 30-4-2005 by Jamuhn]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well...

Jamuhn...

Since it's your story, do you have a better link ?

When I cilcked on the link you provided, it took me to a secure site, that didn't have any info on this story...

So how am I to know that it is true...

[edit on 30-4-2005 by Jedi_Master]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I understand that sometimes tasers are necessary, and in this case, it was deemed necessary when it wasn't. The problem with not judging all officers because of a few loons out there is...how do you tell the loons from the ones who want to help? Isn't it better to remain skeptical of all, but keep an open mind that there may be a few good ones?

[edit on 30-4-2005 by Jamuhn]

Yes and No. There are more good cops out there than there are bad cops.
If it were the other way we would see alot more cases like this...alot more.

Law enforcement agencies should do a better job training, screening and selecting police officers. And continue the screening through thier carreers...some people may start off good to go but get messed up in the head over time.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Here's in another link, although, all it is, is a cut and poste from the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

www.newsfrombabylon.com.../5709&C SID=d706d794e3cbd94cc0f0196b6184f725

If you get Firefox and donwload the "BugMeNot" Extension, you can right click on the log-in and select "BugMeNot". Then, you will be able to read the original story as well as be able to read stories on many other subscription news sites.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Sounds like murder to me.

They strapped himt o a chair where he coudlnt of been unruly unless he was spitting or shouting.

Even tasering someone who isnt tied down is torture sometimes. You taser someone once, if they are on the ground and they arent moving or restraining, tasering them again is excessive force.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Gwinnet County, GA District Attorney Danny Porter recently decided not file charges in the case of a man tasered to death by sherrifs.

Does he ever? This is the same slack jawed Duluth yokel that spent three days of manpower searching for that runaway crackbride but isn't pressing charges.

That whole mall ridden, Wal-Mart laden, overcrowded, suburban nightmare county needs an enema. I suggest starting with the rectum of GA District Attorney Danny Porter and using the giant water tower that falsely advertises "GWINNET IS GREAT."

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I dont see how these guys can go with out being charged and losing their their jobs isn't even a question. They need to go to prison and afterward never being able to make more than minium wage.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This is pretty sickening.

Torturing an invalid while he's strapped to a chair.

I don't even know what else to say, so I'll let someone else speak for me.

"In the private chambers of the soul, the guilty party is identified, and the accusing finger there is not legend, but consequence, not fantasy, but the truth. People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead."
- James Baldwin

Karma's a bitch.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Pure and simple. There is no other word to describe the treatment that this man suffered.

Well, there is one other word, Murder.

I don't understand the need to keep using the tazer to "calm him down" if the man has already been restrained? Why not just leave him alone and let him rant it out, then come back when he has regained control of himself?

I do not understand the laws that would allow this prosecutor to refrain from filing charges. It just boggles the mind.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I just read a story about how a man convicted of setting puppies on fire got 10 and a half years in prison for his crime.

And cops who tazer their suspect to death get off scot free.

What sort of society are we living in? I'm not advocating puppy murder, but clearly there is a very big problem when you compare the two incidents.

This is absolutely insane.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
speaking as a form law enforcement person..it is not a matter of 'screening' applicants better to sort out the 'bad apples' ...there is a mentality in law enforcement thats is.."I'm a COP, how DARE you not listen to me." i like to call it "contempt of cop"..you would be surprised how many people got brought in because of this. no matter how nice the person is, as a person, they still will get 'the' mentality. one sgt. put it this way..he called it the one % mentality. as he put it... when u become a cop you deal with the 1% of people who are criminals and commited crimes. as the years progress you look at more and more people has having done something wrong and by the 5th year, the only people you will deal with are the 1% that are cops. everybody else who is not a cop, you have decided, they have or will do something unlawfull. you lose the ability to deal with people iin a effective manner. you have become a 1% cop.

as far as the taser goes..can a restrained person be legaly tasered if resrained?? for me, it was dept policy NOT to taser a restrained suspect. 'fidgeting' in a restraint chair........but "i'm a COP, i do as a please and if i do make a 'mistake' the dept and Union will cover for me." despite the outrage over the treatment of a restrained suspect..nothing will happen to the dept or officers. situations like these just get the sheople ready for more and more 'aggresive' policing and aggresive treatment of suspects.

"I'm the Pole-leaz, godzilla ain't got nothing on me!!!!!"

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
BTW: These are a few bad cops, you can't judge an entire force or nation by the acts of a few loonies out there on a power trip.
[edit on 30/4/2005 by SportyMB]

Yeah that is very true- its a shame bacause there are alot of good men and women out there that actually want to help by becoming police officers-
but then you get the few that are on power trips- sometimes i think that maybe some people become like that when joing the force- their given lots of power ans it sends them mad.

Alot of things like this have been surfacing in here in Britain aswell- especially last year - i watched about three different documentarys about police brutality adn alot of it was racial which is even more worrying.

Its a sad sad world, when it comes to having to be wary of the police.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
One of the main issues I see, the cops don't understand their own department motto.

I mean, "Protect and Serve" is written on the outside of the door, so they don't have to look at it all day whie driving around. It's easy for them to slip into the "Abuse and Intimidate" mindframe because they're not being properly influenced.

And I agree with the comment about how they are exposed to criminals day in day out, and so take a very dim view of society. That's a fact. Perhaps cops should be assigned for 2 weeks out of every month to local community service prograrms at hostels, elderly care facilities, and schools? Give them a break from dealing with the scum of the earth, let them see the people they're beholden to?

Perhaps it should be written on the windshield in semi-opaque grey lettering, "Protect and Serve" so they simply can't fail to see it.

Subliminal message? Sure. Effective? You bet.

These men who make the news have forgotten what it means to be a cop. Someone needs to remind them, quick.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I think its time to 86 the Tazer. Some cops are just out of control, a freakin train wreck.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
cobra
If it wasn't a tazer, it could have been a phonebook and a baton, or a bag of oranges, or just good old fists and feet.

Maybe the Tazer causes them to act more violently, I don't know.

I know I'd rather they get regular psychological screening. And I'm sure everyone would feel a lot safer if the prosecutors actually did something to halt this abuse.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join