It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winston Churchill's UFO cover-up as declassified 'X-files' show ex-PM's fears over leaks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2024 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Source: Winston Churchill's UFO cover-up as declassified 'X-files' show ex-PM's fears over leaks

The wartime leader and national hero worked around the clock to keep a lid on the various UFO sightings made around the UK, archive documents show.

It’s not often one hears or reads about U.K.’s heads of state and their feelings on subjects such as UFO’s…..usually such revelations surround American leaders.

Obsession might be a strong word, but the twice Prime Minister did spend a great deal of time with the Americans discussing the existence of unidentified flying objects (UFOs).

Interesting read….

👽☕️🍩🤓

posted on Mar, 24 2024 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus1

Ain’t it awesome that supposedly these two pricks decided what was good and right for everyone to know?

All in the name of ‘religious beliefs’. That’s the problem with that phrase - you know that glaring word ‘BELIEFS’. Well thanks asshats, who the eff cares about beliefs!? We need to know ‘THE TRUTH’.!

Interesting how they know the truth — and they could handle it. Yet, all of us peons can’t handle the truth for some damn reason. Screw all these pricks that think they are above all of us.

S & F

posted on Mar, 24 2024 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Ain’t it awesome that supposedly these two pricks decided what was good and right for everyone to know?

All in the name of ‘religious beliefs’. That’s the problem with that phrase - you know that glaring word ‘BELIEFS’. Well thanks asshats, who the eff cares about beliefs!? We need to know ‘THE TRUTH’.!

Interesting how they know the truth — and they could handle it. Yet, all of us peons can’t handle the truth for some damn reason. Screw all these pricks that think they are above all of us.

S & F

So you BELIEVE that there is a truth to the whole UFO presentation...and the cloak and dagger white hat/black hat touch-me-not protracted game?

posted on Mar, 24 2024 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AtomicBulldog

originally posted by: KKLOCO

S & F

So you BELIEVE that there is a truth to the whole UFO presentation...and the cloak and dagger white hat/black hat touch-me-not protracted game?

I ‘KNOW’ TPTB know a hell of a lot more TRUTHS than we do — and I want to know what they know, whatever it may be — scary or not.

posted on Mar, 24 2024 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Great read! I wonder is somebody will come along and state that it was 'our tech', 'black project' and Churchill was misled.
If the article is accurate then Churchill was the first to put censorship to UFO scene reporting in a fear of public panic. We follow that suit til this day.
Just wait...

Thanks Ophi.

posted on Mar, 24 2024 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaydreamerX

Great read! I wonder is somebody will come along and state that it was 'our tech', 'black project' and Churchill was misled.
If the article is accurate then Churchill was the first to put censorship to UFO scene reporting in a fear of public panic. We follow that suit til this day.
Just wait...

Thanks Ophi.

So you think there was a PSYOP going on with the foo fighters of WWII? I don’t believe anyone had time for that. Nor was any tech like that available at the time.

It would make more sense that WWII brought a lot of attention to us. The Interdimensionals got a kick out of fu##ing with us during the most stressful of times….
edit on 24-3-2024 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus1
It’s not often one hears or reads about U.K.’s heads of state and their feelings on subjects such as UFO’s…..usually such revelations surround American leaders.

No, not often, just every fourteen years it seems.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The Express appear to have simply taken an old story and re-jiggled the words so they imply something a little more sensational. I won't bother to feign surprise, this is the Express after all, they're only partially in the news business.

Obsession might be a strong word, but the twice Prime Minister did spend a great deal of time with the Americans discussing the existence of unidentified flying objects (UFOs).

Obsession is a strong word however he was certainly interested and had the Express bothered to do even a small amount of research they would have been able to build upon what was known about Churchill's interest in 2010 with what has been re-discovered in the interim...

The essay came into the public eye after a 2017 article by the astrophysicist Mario Livio in the comment section of Nature, which claimed that the essay had been "newly unearthed".[8] In the article titled "Winston Churchill's Essay on Alien Life Found", Livio explains that Timothy Riley, the director of the National Churchill Museum, handed him the 1950s draft of the essay in 2016 for analysis.[8] The 1950s version of the essay is introduced as having "never been published or subjected to scientific or academic scrutiny."[8] In his in-depth analysis of the manuscript Livio argues that "Churchill reasoned like a scientist about the likelihood of extraterrestrials".[8]

The article in Nature quickly gained considerable popular attention: It was, inter alia, discussed by BBC News,[1] The New York Times,[6] The Washington Post,[5] The Guardian[9] and NPR.[10]

Shortly after the article's publication in Nature, scepticism emerged concerning the essay's prior publication. Richard M. Langworth considered it likely that it was an unpublished variant of the version published on 8 March 1942 in Sunday Dispatch.[4] Nature published a clarification on 6 April 2017 explaining that "part of that draft" had indeed been published as "Are There Men on the Moon?"[11]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Instead, the Express decided to distort the facts.

A letter in the files dating back to 1999 describes the crew of a Royal Air Force bomber observing a silent metallic flying object off the coast of Britain during World War II. The letter's author, whose name has been redacted, says his grandfather was one of Churchill's bodyguards, and was in the room when the prime minister — and U.S. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower — learned of the incident.

The letter's author claims that Churchill ordered the sighting to be kept secret for at least 50 years, since "it would create mass panic amongst the general population and destroy one's faith in the Church" if it were made public.

It had been told to the correspondent's mother when she was a child. He wanted to know when the incident would be declassified. The MoD responded that it had no record of such a meeting, or the RAF crew's UFO sighting.

theweek.com...

There may be some truth there, but essentially, it is a third hand account that cannot be verified, literally a nice story for the grand-kids and very little more.

We do though have the 1952 memo, that Churchill definately and verifiably sent, asking for UFOs to be looked into. His interest was definately piqued by something.

All is not lost by the smokescreen of lazy journalism

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I want to read Churchill's draft essay myself but haven't found a digital copy online just yet, but there is this...

He penned the first draft, perhaps for London's News of the World Sunday newspaper, in 1939 — when Europe was on the brink of war. He revised it lightly in the late 1950s while staying in the south of France at the villa of his publisher, Emery Reves. For example, he changed the title from 'Are We Alone in Space?' to 'Are We Alone in the Universe?' to reflect changes in scientific understanding and terminology. Wendy Reves, the publisher's wife, passed the manuscript to the US National Churchill Museum archives in the 1980s.

www.nature.com...

Just asking the question "Are we alone in space (or universe)" tells us there most likely was no evidence to point to for him to say "We are definitely not alone in space (universe)", IMO.

Can you help me look for the actual draft essay for all of us to read?

Excitement grew when Livio and the Westminster science faculty expressed great amazement over Churchill’s faith in science and his belief in potential alien life on other planets. Riley gave support to Livio, who wrote an extensive article about the essay for the 16 February 2017 issue of Nature, the prestigious science journal.

winstonchurchill.org...

I'll search for the Timothy Riley (Timothy Riley, Sandra L. and Monroe E. Trout Director and Chief Curator of the National Churchill Museum) article on Churchill's essay.

Could Churchill have been thinking of 'panspermia'?

After these preliminaries, Churchill arrives at the main topic of life on Earth. Here he starts with the correct and important observation, "how life came into being is still a complete mystery." That is, indeed even today there is no generally accepted theory for the origin of life, in spite of impressive advances in prebiotic chemical synthesis (for a recent update, see Jack Szostak's talk from the More to Explore). Churchill mentions the possibility of panspermia—the idea that life on Earth originated from some precursors of life that were present in outer space.

www.scientificamerican.com...

Many rabbit holes here because the museum isn't giving us a look at the entire essay.
edit on q00000017331America/Chicago5656America/Chicago3 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 08:19 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

I am sure that I read somewhere that the original is somewhere in the US?? I haven't come across any reference to it having been digitised. And it doesn't appear to be part of the National Archives collection. There is another Churchill document collection at Cambridge though, but again, I don't think it is digitised. I'll skim my links see if I can find the article I read that mentioned the hard-copy being in the US - I could be mixing stuff up.

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrucellaOrchitis

I am sure that I read somewhere that the original is somewhere in the US?? I haven't come across any reference to it having been digitised. And it doesn't appear to be part of the National Archives collection. There is another Churchill document collection at Cambridge though, but again, I don't think it is digitised. I'll skim my links see if I can find the article I read that mentioned the hard-copy being in the US - I could be mixing stuff up.

That would be wonderful because now I'm starting an obsession about reading it.

Okay now there is a revised essay in the picture (?) albeit the content is purported to be the same (?)

Churchill’s original 1939 draft on extraterrestrial life was entitled “Are We Alone in Space?” and is now in the collection of the Churchill Archives Centre in Cambridge (CHAR 8/644). This version went unpublished in 1939, though notes in the Cambridge archives seem to indicate that it was originally intended for the News of the World.

The revised manuscript from the 1950s in the National Churchill Museum is identical to the 1939 “Are We Alone in Space?” text apart from minor typographical differences and the change in title from “Space” to “the Universe.”

winstonchurchill.org...
edit on q00000030331America/Chicago1717America/Chicago3 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Just read the article you linked from National Churchill Museum. That states it is in their archives. You can contact them directly, they probably have a file search and copying service - for a fee obviously.

winstonchurchill.org...

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 08:37 AM
link   

The Mario Livio article from Scientific America is reproduced here...

www.nationalchurchillmuseum.org...

From Page 20

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrucellaOrchitis

Just read the article you linked from National Churchill Museum. That states it is in their archives. You can contact them directly, they probably have a file search and copying service - for a fee obviously.

winstonchurchill.org...

Okay, I emailed the archives department asking for a 1939 copy - let's see where that takes me.

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Good stuff. Do keep us informed of your progress.

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I’d like to read the originally titled “Are We Alone in Space?” draft also…..good luck 🍀 Q

There maybe copyright issues…..hopefully not.

From the BBC…. 15 February 2017…

Churchill was a prolific writer: in the 1920s and 30s, he penned popular science essays on topics as diverse as evolution and fusion power. Mr Riley, director of the Churchill Museum, believes the essay on alien life was written at the former prime minister's home in Chartwell in 1939, before World War II broke out.

It may have been informed by conversations with the wartime leader's friend, Lindemann, who was a physicist, and might have been intended for publication in the News of the World newspaper. It was also written soon after the 1938 US radio broadcast by Orson Welles dramatising The War of the Worlds by HG Wells. The radio programme sparked a panic when it was mistaken by some listeners for a real news report about the invasion of Earth by Martians.

Dr Livio told BBC News that there were no firm plans to publish the article because of issues surrounding the copyright. However, he said the Churchill Museum was working to resolve these so that the historically important essay can eventually see the light of day.

And so there’s this…..

This, below…is possibly a way in, but it requires subscription …it’s not anything I can get into….😞

Read in the description……the originally titled “Are We Alone in Space?” are digitized folio’s with in this file..

Source: Churchill Archive

👽☕️🍩
edit on 25-3-2024 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 10:20 AM
link   

This, below…is possibly a way in, but it requires subscription …it’s not anything I can get into….😞

Do you not know anyone in higher-education? Access can be gained through Shibboleth which, in the UK at least, is accessible to anyone enrolled in a programme of higher-education. For free.

I do know someone and assuming they have no objection I will ask them to access it for me, see what's there at least. Obviously if it is copy-righted I wouldn't be able to share but largely because it wouldn't be my access I was flaunting the law with.

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: BrucellaOrchitis

Good Luck 🍀 to you too…..

I’ve never maintained close or even infrequent communications with those from my higher education days. So the answer to your question is No.

The only higher education I get these days are from NHI’s aka the WWW 😉 with nameless and faceless Author’s😆

👽☕️🍩

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 10:42 AM
link   

To be honest, I am not terribly interested in Churchill's perspective on all this or much of anything really but I did in the course of looking notice that the Churchill archives also hold Reginald Victor Jones' papers and this caught my eye...

Section D, Research topics and science interests, relates largely to Jones' active research at the University of Aberdeen. The material is arranged alphabetically by subject and includes correspondence with colleagues, drafts of publications and lectures, and manuscript and typescript notes. Research areas well represented in the papers include aether drag, capacitance micrometers, crystal growing, optical levers and radiation pressure. There is also an interesting sequence of material on 'flying saucers', reflecting Jones' interest in unexplained aerial phenomena.

discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk...

Not terribly surprising - all things considered

posted on Mar, 25 2024 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: BrucellaOrchitis

Sidebar and no reflection on you personally……seriously.

The use of some words in the English language are humorous at times…..take for instance..”To be honest” ”To be honest with you” …….I laugh at the those words because to me they imply, infer, reveal…that one has not always been honest in the course of conversations. That one could have been lied too……same with the words “To be truthful” “Truthfully I tell you”..etc.

Why do humans have to profess “honesty” in communicating? and not trust the listener to know that the speaker is already honest an truthful?

“To be honest with you”, quirk’s of human nature, I suppose…😉

👽🤔

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join