It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Artichoke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 12:25 PM
link   
One's a big thistle, and one's a big root..

I'd love to know any recipes that include artichokes!

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 01:09 PM
link   

edit on 1/11/2024 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainHalf

I cook mine simply.

Lop off the stem and the top. I use chicken rub seasoning for it.

If you don’t have a steamer you can boil. Get a pot with about an inch of water in it. Elevate the artichoke off of the water so it doesn’t get mushy (I use a ramican). Cover and let it lightly boil on low for two hours.

The only other thing you need is some good melted salted butter for dipping.

Artichokes are great! They make you sh!t like a mongoose. I eat them like twice a week.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 01:21 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 01:21 PM
link   

We always wondered who in hell was the first person to see this thing growing and decide to eat it.

Anyway, our favorite way to eat them is to first sit down and take the time to stuff each leaf with parmigiana. It takes time. Then cook as normal until ready. I grew up eating them with a plain mayo dip cuz that was long ago. We were warned not to eat to far because of the thistles deep within.

My wife though taught me differently. She said just pull out that bad stuff and go for the heart seasoned with some garlic. But more than that, as the rest of the choke is cooking, cook the stems as well and boy oh boy, that there is a gem of artichoke flavor.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 01:38 PM
link   

BTW, the guy in your video completely butchered that artichoke. He cut off almost half of the meat.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Chop in half, remove the hairy bits, season up, roast in the oven, until hearts are tender, and then begin to create a huge mess by chewing off the meaty bits on each leaf, then the heart for last. Usually dip in olive oil and lemon juice brought together with some variety of non yellow mustard.
Great snack for watching a movie since it takes a while to eat.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 01:59 PM
link   
We got to hold on to what we got ...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 11-1-2024 by CaptainHalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 02:03 PM
link   

One of my favourite dishes...

Carciofi alla Romana:

Water always tastes sweet after eating artichokes; I think it's to do with their high iron content.

edit on 11/1/2024 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Spamich
edit on 11-1-2024 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 04:58 PM
link   
SPAM removed
edit on 11-1-2024 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 05:18 PM
link   
SPAM removed
edit on 11-1-2024 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Normally I use a pressure cooker. Artichokes are the darling of pressure cooking. They are done in about 15 minutes. I serve them whole with mayonnaise/ Meyer lemon juice, fresh cracked pepper and sea salt.

I am actually right in the middle of a greek recipe that incorporated both whole artichoke hearts and bottoms. Baked Mediterranean chicken, in a lemon garlic oregano paprika sauce. It is baked with red onions, large cherry tomatos, chicken thighs, tiny red potatoes, parsley, and red bell

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

I cook mine simply.

Lop off the stem and the top. I use chicken rub seasoning for it.

If you don’t have a steamer you can boil. Get a pot with about an inch of water in it. Elevate the artichoke off of the water so it doesn’t get mushy (I use a ramican). Cover and let it lightly boil on low for two hours.

The only other thing you need is some good melted salted butter for dipping.

Artichokes are great! They make you sh!t like a mongoose. I eat them like twice a week.

Aww man, don’t discard the stem, I peel them then cook, more for your money! Same with broccoli.

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I have only eaten Jerusalem Artichokes. I knew a woman who had a whole hillside of them on her farm. I boiled the peeled root and boiled them like potatoes, a little butter, salt and pepper and they tasted pretty good. No side effects either from eating them.

I don't know if the other kind of artichoke was ever in any dishes I ate, but I was not aware of their presence in anything I ate. I have tried tasting a lot of different types of foods in my life and some did not set right. Never got any bad side effects from eating night crawlers back in the eighties either. There are a lot of veggies out there I cannot metabolize correctly, probably because my ancestors never developed the ability to detox their plant defense chemicals

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Artichoke pizza:

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

You sent me a few of your recipes once! They were the best in the world!

Your artichoke sounds great too!

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 07:06 AM
link   

edit on 1/12/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JJproductions

You sent me a few of your recipes once! They were the best in the world!

Your artichoke sounds great too!

Here is the Mediterranean chicken with Artichoke hearts, Artichoke bottoms, red onion, Kalamata olives, green pimento olives, tiny red potatoes, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, organic chicken thighs, Fresh oregano from my garden, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and kalamata olive oil I made last night.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I will make that for sure thank you! I can’t right now it’s a freakin blizzard here and the roads are super bad!

top topics

join