It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can atheism have morality?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I often hear moral arguments from atheists but atheism can't be moral. There's no objective standard of good with atheists so everyone's subjective morality is equally good and equally evil which leads to modal collapse. Here's the definition of morality:

principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

Atheists have no objective standard of good so there's no distinction between good and bad behavior so there can't be any morality in atheism.

For instance, if a sex trafficker says I do this because it feeds my family and that's what's morally good to me, then his behavior is no more good or evil than the behavior of someone that helps feed the homeless.

In atheism ALL SUBJECTIVE MORALITY is equally good and equally evil.

Let me repeat that:

In atheism ALL SUBJECTIVE MORALITY is equally good and equally evil.

Hears a definition of Modal Collapse:

In modal logic, modal collapse is the condition in which every true statement is necessarily true, and vice versa; that is to say, there are no contingent truths, or to put it another way, that "everything exists necessarily".[1][2]

So everyone's subjective morality is necessarily true and good if there's no objective standard of good.

This is why the Bible says the carnal mind isn't subject to God's law and the Bible calls the antichrist the lawless one. How can you have any moral law when everyone's a law unto themselves? This is 666 or the number of a man that has no spiritual connection to God. A person that thinks they're just a soulless animal.

In Christianity, God's Will is the objective standard of goodness. This is why we're Born Again through Faith in Jesus Christ. We crucify the flesh which allows us to say not my will but your Will be done. This is Christians giving up their subjective will and subjective morality to follow God's Will which is the objective standard of Good.

An atheist says there's no objective standard of good, so all subjective morality is equally good and evil which leads to modal collapse and lawlessness.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 05:29 AM
link   

edit on 7-1-2024 by Disgusted123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Is this a serious question??
Do you need to believe in the supernatural to have morals and principles?
edit on 1/7/2024 by yeahright because: Quote of entire OP deleted

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographicpart2

You are flat out wrong. There have been studies on little kids showing how they show empathy towards others.

Religion can bring good things but it can also bring dreadful things.

There are no objective standards in religion. It's all made up by someone.

edit on 7-1-2024 by midicon because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 05:44 AM
link   

If the only thing that makes you a good person is a book that says you have to be, you were not a good person to begin with.

Empathy and morality do not come from a set of rules.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 05:47 AM
link   

The generally accepted morals in western civilization are derived from Christianity. The 10 commandments are overall a pretty common sense set of rules. Whether people like it or not isn't relevant, it's just an objective fact.

I'm not religious at all, I have no use for gods or religions, and I don't need them to be a relatively decent human being.

Most people I know are not religious, but are still good anti-communist people.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Good to see you back Neo (seriously), but you and others have beat this angle on atheism to death.

If you can't determine right from wrong, you lack empathy, not religion.

ETA: If you will send DTOM a PM, she may be able to get you back into your old account.

edit on 1/7/2024 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

You are flat out wrong. There have been studies on little kids showing how they show empathy towards others.

Religion can bring good things but it can also bring dreadful things.

There are no objective standards in religion. It's all made up by someone.

Yep! Religion can bring good things but can also bring holy wars, extermination of the other side, genocides and mass killings.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

The generally accepted morals in western civilization are derived from Christianity. The 10 commandments are overall a pretty common sense set of rules. Whether people like it or not isn't relevant, it's just an objective fact.

I'm not religious at all, I have no use for gods or religions, and I don't need them to be a relatively decent human being.

Most people I know are not religious, but are still good anti-communist people.

Nope!

We don't derive our morals from some archaic Jewish myths.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Reason the 'golden thread' exists in all belief systems is because it exists in all people.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Good to see you back Neo (seriously), but you and others have beat this angle on atheism to death.

If you can't determine right from wrong, you lack empathy, not religion.

I agree that religion should not be used to determine right and wrong. Anyone can do it given they have been brought up in a reasonably decent environment. You don't need religious beliefs and superstition to determine what is good for you and others and what is not acceptable and harmful.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 06:02 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 06:30 AM
link   

There are also casefiles on young children who are inherently sadistic killing their infant siblings at ages as young as five.

I just watched a documentary on some of the more notable cases across the globe.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 06:35 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

There are also casefiles on young children who are inherently sadistic killing their infant siblings at ages as young as five.

I just watched a documentary on some of the more notable cases across the globe.

I hope you are aware that kids who kill are a tiny minority, just like (I really hope) there are religious folk who dismember their loved ones thinking wrongly that they are demons are not too frequent.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 06:43 AM
link   

How can atheism have morality?

Most of China is atheist.
They seem to be getting along okay.
Same basic problems as countries that have religion.
Just wrapped in a different package.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 06:52 AM
link   
My favourite subject.
What concerns me, but at the same time shows me that threats work on people who seem to have no integrity is the danger that a lot of believers would totally go apeshhit without the invisible sky authority.

Imagine there are people who cannot understand how you can be a decent person all by yourself, with naturally given empathy or logic.

I repeat, those people scare the heck out of me and I as someone who has never bought into it since birth am kind of glad these empty vessels were given religion so that at least most of them don't lose it.

Shame they then use this safety measure and try to convince those who don't need it (due to our naturally given integrity) that we must join.
Because the understanding that someone can be a good person without threats is just not there.

Worry about that fact. Brrr 😳😬🤔

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 07:12 AM
link   
OP: Atheists lack morality.
Source: The Bible.

Why not complete your thought all the way through and declare that only Christians have the capability to be moral?

Probably because Christianity as a whole doesn't really have a good track record of being moral.

Do you believe in Karma?

Person A believes in Karma and does good deeds in order to be rewarded with good Karma.

Person B doesn't believe in Karma but still does good deeds.

Both people can be virtuous.

But the highest form of virtue is not conscious of itself as virtue.

And inferior virtue cannot let go of itself as being virtuous.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Can you imagine that the basis of morality in our society in the 21st century will come from the fantasies,misconceptions, fabrications and nonsense of the Jewish clergy thousands of years ago. It's truly amazing and it's still the basis of morality for some people who literally believe the bs of Judaio-Christian philosophy.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Here's the definition of morality:

principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

Morality is not exclusive to religion , as a "non-believer" I have my own moral compass which guides my sense of right and wrong hence my opposition to the war in Ukraine and the slaughter in Gaza , they are both wrong but It surprises me how some religious folk seem supportive of at least one of them if not both.

Religion is good at preaching morals but followers don't always practice what it preaches , "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" springs to mind.
edit on 7-1-2024 by gortex because: spelling

<<   2  3  4 >>

join