It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the Moon split in two in the 7th century?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Hello ATS!

Today I would like to discuss one legend.

The gist is this: During the life of the Prophet Muhammad, in the 7th century, a strange event occurred - the Moon suddenly split into two halves
After this “cosmic cataclysm,” the phases of the Moon changed, and the year on Earth became longer by five (5!) days.

The Koran says that the Prophet Muhammad, communicating with the Meccan pagans, showed them the miracle of the moon split into two parts:

"The Hour has come, and the moon has split apart."Koran 54:1

The inhabitants of Mecca saw two halves of the heavenly night “luminary”, which were separated by Mount Harrah. “The moon split apart during the Prophet’s lifetime. The moon was divided into two halves, one of which was visible on one side of the mountain, and the other on the other..." According to historical sources, a massive change of calendars in large states occurred precisely in the seventh century AD. Not because of the change - the number of days in a year, from 360 (before the “schism”) to 365?

This phenomenon is even described in Wikipedia (link).

People are divided into 2 camps: some believe and present their arguments, others do not believe and present theirs.

Proponents claim that this event is mentioned in the Aztec codex, manuscripts of ancient China, Babylon, the Persian Empire, the civilization of Peru and many other ancient sources of civilizations located in different parts of the globe. Some even have evidence that not only the Moon split into two parts, but the entire Milky Way!

After the Moon was divided into two parts, the “creator of all things”, “the Almighty”, “the lord of the heavens”, “god” - “glued” it back into a single whole. However, due to the change in its mass, apparently , there was a change in the Earth's rotation period, due to which the number of days in a year increased.

Also included are NASA photographs taken by the Apollo mission, which show the “seam” along which the Moon is “glued together.”

Opponents argue that the "suture" on the Moon is the linear Arideus groove, named after the nearby Arideaeus crater. The Aridean groove is 247 kilometers long, while the length of the Moon's equator is 10,920 kilometers. The furrow is less than a tenth of the length of the equator.

The nature of the furrow is associated with tectonic faults, of which there are a huge number even on Earth.

The topic of exposing the “fairy tale” was raised on many resources at one time. In particular on Reddit (link), AFP (link), and Science and Islam (link).

In all cases, the parties' arguments appear convincing. But in practice, during theoretical disputes, for every scientific fact there is always an equally scientific fact that refutes it. And the more science develops, the more facts appear that refute the previously irrefutable.

There's a lot to think about.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll
Hello ATS!

Today I would like to discuss one legend.

The gist is this: During the life of the Prophet Muhammad, in the 7th century, a strange event occurred - the Moon suddenly split into two halves
After this “cosmic cataclysm,” the phases of the Moon changed, and the year on Earth became longer by five (5!) days.

The Koran says that the Prophet Muhammad, communicating with the Meccan pagans, showed them the miracle of the moon split into two parts:

"The Hour has come, and the moon has split apart."Koran 54:1

The inhabitants of Mecca saw two halves of the heavenly night “luminary”, which were separated by Mount Harrah. “The moon split apart during the Prophet’s lifetime. The moon was divided into two halves, one of which was visible on one side of the mountain, and the other on the other..." According to historical sources, a massive change of calendars in large states occurred precisely in the seventh century AD. Not because of the change - the number of days in a year, from 360 (before the “schism”) to 365?

This phenomenon is even described in Wikipedia (link).

People are divided into 2 camps: some believe and present their arguments, others do not believe and present theirs.

Proponents claim that this event is mentioned in the Aztec codex, manuscripts of ancient China, Babylon, the Persian Empire, the civilization of Peru and many other ancient sources of civilizations located in different parts of the globe. Some even have evidence that not only the Moon split into two parts, but the entire Milky Way!

After the Moon was divided into two parts, the “creator of all things”, “the Almighty”, “the lord of the heavens”, “god” - “glued” it back into a single whole. However, due to the change in its mass, apparently , there was a change in the Earth's rotation period, due to which the number of days in a year increased.

Also included are NASA photographs taken by the Apollo mission, which show the “seam” along which the Moon is “glued together.”

Opponents argue that the "suture" on the Moon is the linear Arideus groove, named after the nearby Arideaeus crater. The Aridean groove is 247 kilometers long, while the length of the Moon's equator is 10,920 kilometers. The furrow is less than a tenth of the length of the equator.

The nature of the furrow is associated with tectonic faults, of which there are a huge number even on Earth.

The topic of exposing the “fairy tale” was raised on many resources at one time. In particular on Reddit (link), AFP (link), and Science and Islam (link).

In all cases, the parties' arguments appear convincing. But in practice, during theoretical disputes, for every scientific fact there is always an equally scientific fact that refutes it. And the more science develops, the more facts appear that refute the previously irrefutable.

There's a lot to think about.

Thank you.

I ve heard of this story, is used a lot in Islamic Folklore.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I have been researching Islam and their holy books for the past few weeks. I have found multiple science errors. The Sun is smaller then Earth. It sets in a puddle of water, until allah gives it permission to rise again.

It says some weird stuff too. and a lot of it. You are supposed to wash yourself in the morning, because you dont know what may have slipped out from under your leather anus strap while you sleep, and allah doesn't like that....

Bottom line is that I wouldnt put much stock in their tales.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 08:00 AM
link   
One might suggest that may have been when the moon ceased to rotate.

That gives an explanation for the moon "splitting in two".

The dark half and the light half.
------------

How would one move the moon?

Translate the moon's orbital energy into rotational energy.

As the moon begins to rotate, the moon will draw closer to the earth. The tides will rise.

That would be the simplest way to flood the earth. A tidal wall of water would be 10x higher or more than normal.

Afterwards, translate rational energy back into orbital. The moon will stop rotating, and resume it's position.

No energy is lost from that system.

War in heaven anyone?

Just a thought . . .

edit on 28/11/2023 by NobodySpecial268 because: Added afterthought

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Perhaps the splitting in two of the moon is a symbolic representation of the result of one of the main tenets practiced by followers of the M guy.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

Cool story. This part . . .

I'd like to see these ancient sources. There were very few Aztec codices that survived the Spanish invasion. You list five ancient sources along with more not listed.

From Wikipedia. In my opinion the best explanation for what may have happened.

Some post-Quranic scholars, aiming at attributing miracles to Muhammad, reinterpreted the verb inshaqqa in the verse from its original figurative meaning to a literal one. As a result, the event of Muhammad interpreting the natural phenomenon of a lunar eclipse was transformed into an extraordinary miracle of considerable magnitude—the splitting of the moon.[2] The narrative was used by some later Muslims to convince others of the prophethood of Muhammad. Annemarie Schimmel for example quotes the following from Muslim scholar Qadi Ayyad, who worked in the 12th century:

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Interesting...

I'd have a story about splitting uranus but that's for another thread

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 09:18 AM
link   
If you believe the moon is artificial, maybe it was time to replace the reactor core and the moon was designed to split in half just for this purpose. After the upgrade, their was now sufficient power to adjust the orbit of Earth around the sun, to suit the aliens intentions, whatever that may be.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 09:26 AM
link   

i'm gonna go with this from your wiki link.

However, the disbelievers during Muhammad's time referred to this as "enchantment" (sihr), meaning that Muhammad was trying to beguile them into accepting the astronomical event as proof of his prophethood, as they also dismissed as sihr the verbal signs he recited to them, particularly the Quranic warnings about the end of times.[5] Instead, they asked him to provide visual signs that defy the law of nature (miracles), such as causing a fountain to burst forth from the ground, creating a lush garden with flowing rivers amidst palm and grape trees, and building a golden house. Nevertheless, Muhammad was unable to perform such miraculous signs and thus provided them with various reasons.[6]

ol mo the pedo huckster was blowin smoke up peoples ass just like all hucksters before and after him do and have done.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

I'd have a story about splitting uranus but that's for another threa

didn't that happen when the klingons were hanging around uranus and captian kirk din't get informed about them.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

ol mo the pedo huckster was blowin smoke up peoples ass just like all hucksters before and after him do and have done.

My friend, you have just demonstrated the difference between our countries. In Russia, after such a comment, intelligence officers would immediately knock on your house and charge you with insulting the feelings of believers, with a sanction of up to 3 years in prison.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 10:36 AM
link   

You know, just because Islam is more relevant is doesn't mean we need to start applying their wacky verses to reality.

They are called rilles, Islam, not sutures.

Some scientists think that the linear rilles might have formed after large impact events, while others believe that the rilles were formed as a surface manifestation of deep-seated dike systems when the Moon was still volcanically active. Rima Ariadaeus is thought to have been formed when a section of the Moon's crust sank down between two parallel fault lines (making it a graben or fault trough).[3] Rima Ariadaeus shows no trace of associated volcanism and is thus considered to be an end member of the sequence where only pure faulting is involved i.e. a linear rille.

It's located at 6.4° N and 14.0° E, so obviously Allah wasn't into symmetry.

I see Earth Geology here.

No tectonic plates does not mean the moon is not contracting in size and fracturing at its surface and faulting for many number of stresss generating reasons.

This blog does an excellent job of explaining it.

moonzooblog.wordpress.com...

1. Straight rilles are long, narrow troughs and they exhibit two fault-related surface morphologies: linear (Figure 3) and arcuate. These are formed by faults and are found in the highlands near mare basins as well as near their margins. They have steep sides, which are interpreted to be the normal faults, and flat floors. These structures with two inward sloping walls are called graben

edit on 28-11-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

I can guess how relevant Islam is now in Western countries, but in Russia Islam is one of the traditional religions that enjoys full legal rights, but which, even taking into account guest workers, is professed by no more than 8% of the country's population.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Im going to go with no because from a scientific standpoint.

There is no real evidence to support the claim that the Moon physically split into two parts around the time of the 7th century, or at any other time.

On a less serious note, imagine the size of the tube of Superglue.

edit on 28-11-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I can guess how relevant Islam is now in Western countries

As long as it's not of the crazy mad Sharia law sorts, people who choose to follow the religion of Islam are free to practice just like anybody else here in the UK.

Meaning the likes of religious Sharia councils decisions cannot overrule the UK courts, or make decisions that are contrary to the law of the land.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Double my bad.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Do you know what the difference is in the perception of Islam between you, in England, and in Russia?
You have always conquered countries and treated their elites in a colonial manner. They have always been second-class citizens for you.
In Russia, we have always coexisted with them, and their culture has become part of ours, and ours has become part of theirs. We are equal and always have been.
My boss, my boss, is a Tatar, a Muslim, but I have complete mutual understanding with him. He has great respect for Orthodoxy, takes part in and supports many initiatives emanating from Orthodox priests. I have great respect and understanding for Islam, their problems and needs. We are in complete agreement.
Our relationship is a model for harmony in Russia.
This is the difference in perception. You see confrontation, we have consolidation.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Do you know what the difference is in the perception of Islam between you, in England, and in Russia?

Mind im not predominantly in England RT, the UK is comprised of 4 member nations, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

You have always conquered countries and treated their elites in a colonial manner. They have always been second-class citizens for you.

I suppose that could be said about the likes of the old empire somewhat. Then again Russia track record in that department is hardly squeaky clean.

In Russia, we have always coexisted with them, and their culture has become part of ours, and ours has become part of theirs. We are equal and always have been.

Mate everyone is hardly equal in Russia thats just wishful thinking im afraid, or at worst party line.

There are social structures and economic disparities that exist all over the place.

But that's true of every society, and Russia is no exception there.

My boss, my boss, is a Tatar, a Muslim, but I have complete mutual understanding with him. He has great respect for Orthodoxy, takes part in and supports many initiatives emanating from Orthodox priests.

Buddy my secondary school was pretty much half and half with Muslims and Protestants/Catholics, a few people of Indian descent also if memory serves. I grew up with Muslims and we played together just like any other kids.

I have great respect and understanding for Islam, their problems and needs.

I don't particularly pay lip service to any organised religious practice these days, but people should have respect for all religions as long as they are not trying to be pushed down their throats or forced upon them.

We are in complete agreement.
Our relationship is a model for harmony in Russia.

Complete agreement?

See i find that hard to believe, complete agreement maybe when you are not talking about religion with one another.

They are not all the same or believe the same things, hence not exactly open to compromise.

People get along just fine until organised religious practice enters the room, and then it's generally handbags at dawn as soon as somebody's religious sensibilities are offended.

This is the difference in perception. You see confrontation, we have consolidation.

Not much confrontation these days of the religious sorts anyhoo.

But trying to teach people from the UK about religious hatred and intolerance is a bit like trying to teach your granny to suck eggs, given our recorded history, the troubles, and all that jazz.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I smiled at your arguments)))
The points:

1. I know the composition of Great Britain very well. I am even ready to support the movement of independence from England from Wales (founded by the Scythians (King Arthur)), the Scots and the Irish. The naval flag of Russia is the flag of Scotland with mirror colors. Our great poet Lermontov was a descendant of the Scottish clan Ler Montov, and Pushkin was a descendant of the leaders of an African tribe in Ethiopia. Everyone became Russian.

2. Russia has never waged colonial wars in the classical sense. Russia absorbed territories and peoples, offering their peoples and elites equal cooperation in exchange for protection. And they accepted the conditions with very rare exceptions.

3. Everyone is equal before the law in Russia, and this is a fact. I will say more, Russia is an empire in reverse. Always in the history of Russia, colonies lived at the expense of the metropolis, and not vice versa, like yours. It is difficult for you to understand why this is so, but for Russians it is natural.

4. I was born and grew up in the most international city of Russia - Baku. And I don’t need to talk about some kind of multiculturalism. For decades, my classmates, people of different nationalities and religions, gather every September in the Caucasus and relax together for a whole week, with guitar songs, barbecues, barbecues and emotions.

5. You yourself allowed something to be imposed on you from the outside, this is retribution for previous generations.

6. Just come to Russia and see for yourself. Yes, we have problems with radical Islam, but it was brought in from the outside, primarily from MI6, and our Muslims themselves are fighting it.

7. I am in no way trying to teach you anything. There is an opinion in Russia that for the Judeo-British civilization to collapse, nothing needs to be done. You just have to not interfere and observe. You will destroy yourself.

Sorry for being sincere.
edit on 28-11-2023 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 12:50 PM
link   
my guess; a line of clouds, right place right time, made the moon look split.

that is all.

<<   2  3 >>

join