It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Equal Justice ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbare
a reply to: DBCowboy

So you're outraged over something that hasn't happened?

Ummm, that's the entire topic of the thread.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: DAVID64

if they stopped the progress of government, then they did the exact same thing. .....

Yes, but they didn't.

I think the phrase you are looking for is "obstruction of an official proceeding"--USC 1512. That's what most of the J6 rioters were charged with. That's because the joint session of Congress was in progress at the time and is classified as an "official proceeding".

I don't think there was an official proceeding in McCarthy's office. In fact, it's not clear if he was ever in the office at the time.

Obstructing or impeding passage through or within the Capitol building or grounds is a misdemeanor federal offense and is probably what they will be charged with. Probably they will get off with a fine.

Entering or remaining on the Capitol floor of either chamber by use of or threat of violence or force is a class E federal felony. Doing so while the Vice President is present doubles the penalties.

Equal application of the law is based on the actual actions of the people breaking the law and the actual law that is being violated, not on whether the violators are part of your tribe or my tribe.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 10:12 AM
link   

And as of right now it's entirely baseless. They broke the law and were arrested. There's not really anything else to be said right now.

If the prosecutor refuses to bring charges then you might have grounds be upset. But that's not something that has happened at this point. So you're just being outraged to be outraged.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stopstealingmycountry
a reply to: DAVID64

The dynamics of one vs the other are vastly different. But if hippies sitting on the floor till being arrested is the same as storming the capital building and attacking officers during a closed session then sure.
Unfortunately it is not. But hey you do you and compare the two......

Same thing.
edit on CTue, 12 Sep 2023 10:17:29 -0500am2023-09-12T10:17:29-05:00kamTuesdayam2023-09-12T10:17:29-05:00k by Crackalackin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbare

And as of right now it's entirely baseless. They broke the law and were arrested. There's not really anything else to be said right now.

If the prosecutor refuses to bring charges then you might have grounds be upset. But that's not something that has happened at this point. So you're just being outraged to be outraged.

Yeah, if the DoJ and DA get together and prosecute, I'll be the one shocked.

Right now, here's my shocked face.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 10:49 AM
link   

So you support the DOJ in their actions against the J6 protest that turned into a mob correct?
Because if you want these hippies to have the book thrown at them then you must also want the same for the J6 shenanigans.
Please do enlighten us on your perspective on the two separate matters and how they differ or are similar.

edit on 12-9-2023 by Stopstealingmycountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 11:01 AM
link   

So you support the DOJ in their actions against the J6 protest that turned into a mob correct?
Because if you want these hippies to have the book thrown at them then you must also want the same for the J6 shenanigans.
Please do enlighten us on your perspective on the two separate matters and how they differ or are similar.

I just want to see equal application of the law.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   

As do I but these two situations are completely different though. But with that said both situations involve people breaking the law to different degrees.
It is a pipe dream to get what you and I wish to happen. And we can debate the issues surrounding both till our eyes bleed but the end result is out of our hands.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Were they charged when arrested or sent to GITMO to wait for months without recourse, representation or a right to a speedy trial?

'Equality', 'justice' and 'fairness' are obsolete words in today's world.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It's a fine line to be sure. But The dynamics of one vs the other are vastly different. Protester should be punished based on how just their cause is.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 11:48 AM
link   

As do I but these two situations are completely different though. But with that said both situations involve people breaking the law to different degrees.
It is a pipe dream to get what you and I wish to happen. And we can debate the issues surrounding both till our eyes bleed but the end result is out of our hands.

We will never hear about any of this ever again, in my opinion, because the MSM won't want to report it.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The right to peaceful protest is covered under the 1st amendment.

There is no right for insurrection, sedition, treason, rebellion... any of those.

False comparison.

These people can get arrested for being in a forbidden area, since protesting is allowed on public space only, but they didn't harm or kill anyone, they just had signs and posters.

Any American court would see this as peaceful protest and constitutionally protected. Could they get trespass charges or even a restraining order? Very likely. But that doesn't take their rights away to come back and protest where they should the next time.

Other than trespass, what else did they do?

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Stopstealingmycountry

What he said.

You're trying to compare apples and oranges. If the insurrectionists on January 6th had sat peacefully in front of the Capitol, chanting their protests and not doing anything violent, no one would have been arrested that day either. However that is not what unfolded there.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Stopstealingmycountry

Thing is you can't prove me wrong, because I am not.

Brush up on current events.
The Russian collusion turned out to be a hoax perpetrated by the Hillary campaign and the FBI. www.cnn.com... Yet Hillary and the FBI were let off the hook for causing a Presidential impeachment on purpose using falsified and paid for information. www.usatoday.com...

www.washingtonexaminer.com... Hunter Biden videotaped himself doing coc aine with arguably underage prostitutes. He also lied on a gun application about his drug use. www.nytimes.com... Not to mention the person investigating Hunter was fired at President Biden's threat to with hold foreign aid if the person wasn't fired. www.msn.com...

Have either of these prominent Democrats been convicted of treason? No, but they should have been.

What has happened instead?

Republicans who spoke up against liberal policies at local board meetings were investigated by the FBI and Biden insisted they were domestic terrorists.

People standing peacefully outside during Jan 6 have been jailed and are facing prosecution.

If you don't believe me look it up and learn what is going on in your own country.

I could go on but the reason you won't prove me wrong is plain and simple. You can't.

There is a two tier system of justice in the US
Democrats and liberals can commit crimes that are overlooked and the justice system looks the other way.
Republicans and conservatives can commit much much lesser offenses and have the justice system throw the book at them.

Liberals can firebomb pregnancy clinics that give free diapers and formula to poor mothers and NO ONE, is arrested or charged.
Conservatives who shove an abortion provider outside an abortion clinic are arrested and thrown in jail. www.msn.com...

It is so bad that it appears a Democrat politician or family member could film themselves committing a crime or multiple crimes and nothing will happen to him/her. A Republican who happens to be innocently at the wrong place at the wrong time is thrown in jail for prosecution.

This is so prevalent in our nation that conservatives can no longer trust the government because they are weaponized against anyone who dares to think or speak a conservative thought. The justice system is quick to pounce on conservatives and practically refuses to prosecute liberals who commit high crimes, bribery, graft.

No wonder many question the validity of elections when we can't even trust those who enforce the law at the highest levels and can't trust the office of the President to tell the truth. www.cnn.com... ... www.nytimes.com... ... nypost.com... ... thefederalist.com...

That IS the way it is. It IS the US today led by Joe Biden and laws enforced by the DOJ/FBI. If you don't know the background then you haven't been paying attention or reading the news and have blinders on when it comes to current events that don't fit the liberal narrative. Now read up, learn about the country you live in, and prove me wrong.

edit on 9/12/23 by The2Billies because: addition

top topics

<< 1   >>

join