It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Grocers Limit Sales of Some Vegetables Amid Shortages

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 12:07 PM
link   

LONDON (AP) — Several British supermarket chains have limited the amount of some fresh fruits and vegetables that customers can buy amid shortages blamed on bad weather in Spain and Morocco.

Tesco, the U.K.’s largest grocery chain, said Wednesday that it would temporarily limit customers to buying three items each of tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. It follows similar moves by rival chains Aldi and Morrisons.

The empty shelves have become a political issue, with opponents of Britain’s decision to leave the European Union blaming Brexit for the fruit and vegetable shortages.

But industry analysts said the main culprit was bad weather hurting crop yields in Spain and Morocco, two of the U.K.’s main suppliers of fresh produce in the winter.
AP

How many of us predicted this would happen? Do you believe their reasons?

This has been a VERY mild winter so things didn't get as bad as some of us thought, but this is just the start.

Get used to it and be prepared.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

LONDON (AP) — Several British supermarket chains have limited the amount of some fresh fruits and vegetables that customers can buy amid shortages blamed on bad weather in Spain and Morocco.

Tesco, the U.K.’s largest grocery chain, said Wednesday that it would temporarily limit customers to buying three items each of tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. It follows similar moves by rival chains Aldi and Morrisons.

The empty shelves have become a political issue, with opponents of Britain’s decision to leave the European Union blaming Brexit for the fruit and vegetable shortages.

But industry analysts said the main culprit was bad weather hurting crop yields in Spain and Morocco, two of the U.K.’s main suppliers of fresh produce in the winter.
AP

How many of us predicted this would happen? Do you believe their reasons?

This has been a VERY mild winter so things didn't get as bad as some of us thought, but this is just the start.

Get used to it and be prepared.

They're gonna be out of meat but stocked up on bugs. Hope everyone enjoys the world they ushered in by being ignorant and complying.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I am already preparing for that seemingly inevitable day. Both my wife and son have Métis status which comes with a suite of animal harvesting privileges. Just got my wife her none restricted license. We plan to take full advantage of harvesting rights even more then we currently due. Free game tags for all game renewed each year. No limit on fish caught instead it’s 50 pounds of filet weight per person so 100 pounds of filets for our household. Plus my limit of 4 walleye fish being a white guy lol. Northern pike is also good eating.

I have no problem buying tags for game I hunt but it’s nice having free extra tags available in the event one finds some game.

I also started helping my buddy on his trap line to learn some extra skills related to that. Where and how to set traps as well as how to skin and prepare pelts. My goal is to one day make a whole trappers outfit out of the game I’ve hunted/trapped. Whole fox hat and maybe some wolf pelt gloves and boots. Lynx gloves and hat would be pretty cool too.

a reply to: v1rtu0s0

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
I am already preparing for that seemingly inevitable day. Both my wife and son have Métis status which comes with a suite of animal harvesting privileges. Just got my wife her none restricted license. We plan to take full advantage of harvesting rights even more then we currently due. Free game tags for all game renewed each year. No limit on fish caught instead it’s 50 pounds of filet weight per person so 100 pounds of filets for our household. Plus my limit of 4 walleye fish being a white guy lol. Northern pike is also good eating.

I have no problem buying tags for game I hunt but it’s nice having free extra tags available in the event one finds some game.

I also started helping my buddy on his trap line to learn some extra skills related to that. Where and how to set traps as well as how to skin and prepare pelts. My goal is to one day make a whole trappers outfit out of the game I’ve hunted/trapped. Whole fox hat and maybe some wolf pelt gloves and boots. Lynx gloves and hat would be pretty cool too.

I know what the plans are, but the question is how it actually plays out. The plan is to ban people from going restricted lands which is basically anything outside of a smart city, unless you have some job to do.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The real question is....why would anyone buy more than 1 cucumber when you go shopping.I still have one from 2 weeks ago still going strong.
edit on 22-2-2023 by loman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: loman
The real question is....why would anyone buy more than 1 cucumber when you go shopping.I still have one from 2 weeks ago still going strong.

You can also grow your own from the seeds of that one.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Worth a watch and reveals some interesting things...

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Thanks for the addition, nerb

I'll watch it.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

Not in Spain and Morocco where most of this stuff comes from at this time of year over here:

BBC News - Why is there a shortage of tomatoes and other fruit and vegetables in the UK?
www.bbc.co.uk...

Yeah, I know, the BBC haters will be along soon, but there it is.

High energy costs have also affected production of eg tomatoes in our home grown heated greenhouses.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: v1rtu0s0

originally posted by: Athetos

I know what the plans are, but the question is how it actually plays out. The plan is to ban people from going restricted lands which is basically anything outside of a smart city, unless you have some job to do.

They would have a huge problem trying to do that in Canada, unless they build some new cities.

Not saying they won't try, but it will be easily circumvented, there are ways.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Walmart has been limiting chicken, beef, fish and other items for over a year now. And some veggies as well. Usually limited to 3 item.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

So, I'll put you down for a "Yes", you believe them.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:26 PM
link   

What's not to believe?

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: billxam

Walmart has been limiting chicken, beef, fish and other items for over a year now. And some veggies as well. Usually limited to 3 item.

I didn't know that.

Not sure if Wally is doing that here too, I'll have to check.

Thanks for that, I'll see if I can find a source.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Do you not believe this, either?

www.theretailbulletin.com...#:~:text=by% 20Natalie%20Fresen-,Supermarkets%20across%20Britain%20have%20been%20hit%20with%20a%20shortage%20of,past%20three%20to%20four%20weeks.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

Do you not believe this, either?

www.theretailbulletin.com...#:~:text=by% 20Natalie%20Fresen-,Supermarkets%20across%20Britain%20have%20been%20hit%20with%20a%20shortage%20of,past%20three%20to%20four%20weeks.

No I don't.

Neither do the farmers.

Farmers have repeatedly warned of mounting pressure on the industry from soaring energy and fertiliser prices.

So, is it the weather? Or, supply chain issues? Or, mounting energy costs? Or, lack of fertiliser? Or, Ukraine-Russia conflict?

Or all of them?

Caused by incompetent policies related to the plandemic? Just as many of us predicted?

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:41 PM
link   

All of those things?

Not mild weather in Spain or Morocco, though.
edit on 22-2-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:51 PM
link   
HAARP?
Messing with the ionosphere good, bad or indifferent. DOD hands are all in it.

They are around the world. Why so many countries playing with the ionosphere.

Food for thought.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Firepoker

"HAARP"?

Christ on a bike...

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 02:20 PM
link   
'I just feel less anxiety with a mask on, and I don't need to worry about my appearance! Also, QR codes are so convenient! I don't need to touch dirty menus when I do my virtual meet ups in my personal restaurant pod, I can just scan the table and when the robot server comes up, I can just beam my order to him. So nice!'

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join