It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Grocers Limit Sales of Some Vegetables Amid Shortages

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I'll try ALDI at the weekend. Put my tomatoe seeds in yesterday, the big tasty beefsteak type ones.

My Naga chilli plants have overwintered indoors and have come back.

Thankfully, SWAMBO hasn't mentioned any trip to IKEA for a while.

I hate that, so, here's hoping.

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 01:13 PM
link   
What really pisses me off is that the UK could grow a lot of this veg all year round in poly tunnels and greenhouses, the government should be subsidising businesses to do so.

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

I haven't set any seeds off this year.
Got a lot of work to do in my gardens once the weather picks up a bit then going to get a few things in my cold frame etc.

Hoping to grow some Razzmatazz chilli's this year, just for the colour.

I chored a couple of hand baskets from Morrisons and I'm planning on putting some Tumbling Tom's in them and maybe two or three beefsteak tomato plants in grow bags but not sure what types?

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

I have a cucumber in the fridge and a couple of tomatoes.

I may put them on eBay?

Sure, just run around flaunting your wealth!

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Recommend Tourmande and St Pierre tomatoes.

As for chilli's, I do best crops with Naga's, Indian Curry and Scotch Bonnets but they need to start off early, like now at the latest.

Top tip. When cutting up hot chilli's, if you need to go for a wee, wash your hands thoroughly first, or wear rubber gloves.

Trust me on this.

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

Hey, if you got, flaunt it.

Once those Russian sanctions bite here, provided I don't freeze to death, of course, come Summer, hopefully I'll be a tomatoe millionaire!

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Best started off on a windowsill indoors. Cold frames...are cold!

posted on Feb, 23 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: litterbaux

originally posted by: loman
The real question is....why would anyone buy more than 1 cucumber when you go shopping.I still have one from 2 weeks ago still going strong.

The root cause is an actual food shortage being masked under the guise that people are just "buying too much" and need to be limited. Biden even made a gaff in his Ukraine speech about the "coming global food shortages".

it's interesting that he said that. i just moved back to North America after living in the Philippines just over a year ago. even before the pandemic hit prices of food started going up, and some foods, especially imported cheeses. and rice crispies and the Tesco brand of them (Tesco products entering the supermarkets in a big way, just before the pandemic), even the bulk ones from the bakery supply store, became all but impossible to find. and when i left it was pretty much nightly news for months how much produce, and meat had gone up in price. and quality of especially produce was going down.

why? what changed? while the pandemic caused transport issues, issues that should have disappeared as things opened back up.it's not like those in the provinces, stopped farming during the lock-downs. heck except for masks, reduced traffic and visitors, rules for going to stores, and of course no school, not much really changed for them. so where did the food go? and why was it going up in price pretty much daily?

then i get home. i have not been impressed with selection or quality, especially of supposed fresh produce (much of which would have been tossed in the trash 15 years ago, because of it's poor quality, and going off). and lots of missing items, out of stock, especially at walmarts. and selection is also way down. heck, almost no lunch meats at all now, and what there still is, is out of stock a lot. and the prices are insane. at least double the price things were a little over a decade ago (wages haven't doubled in that time). again why?

sure, fuel prices have some blame. but i don't think that is it, by a long shot. and again, it's not like farmers didn't farm during the pandemic. so what is going on? why should a war in the Ukraine even effect food prices here? it's not like the breadbasket of North America, buys much food from the breadbasket of eastern Europe, or vice versa, since of course we grow much of the same things ourselves. so what is going on? and it does seem to be a world wide problem. even in countries that grow a lot of their own food, and local food quality and price is just as bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join