It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next invasion: N.Korea or Iran?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by tututkamen
Well lets see,

The US does not have enough of an Army left to invade anyone.

You just wait untill we get attacked in a month time. I can see the story line slipping of Bush's lips like this:

"
It appears that Saddam and Osama followers, aquiered thermo nuclear device from the republic of north korea and detonated it in a US city (+dirty bomb in UK)."

Martial Law declared this or early next year
We invade Korea, China and Russian joins in

Perfect start for world war 3

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Logisticians Lament

Mr. Hackworth,

Read your article "Shoestring Logistics" and unfortunately there is a lot of truth in what was written.

After Desert Storm, and interestingly at the beginning of the Clinton administration, there was a move a foot to reduce the stocks sitting at our depots. That has continued until this day. If one were to look at what was in our depots back then, and what's in them now, you'd see a remarkable difference, for the worse.

We've also moved towards interesting initiatives such as "just in time delivery", "direct vendor delivery", "Long Term contracts" I'm not sure how these things can truly support our military when a vendor is in the states, and they're deployed. Hell, FedEX didn't start flying into Bosnia until late 2000.

There are many things that affect our logistics posture: funding is number one. Right now, major components of helicopters, tanks, etc, are being prioritized for the CENTCOM AO, which means readiness for those fleets here in CONUS will degrade. Congress needs to increase DoD funding, but DoD needs to have better accountability for those dollars.

Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) impacts readiness as well. Because of regulations, imposed by who else, congress, need to be relaxed. Right now, there are requirements that the DoD logistics folks MUST comply with in procuring repair parts. And there are vendors that would die to make/build parts for the DoD but can't because of the FAR.

Congress and everyone else get the heebee jeebies when they see the stock piles of parts in the depots. But, need to understand that because we're doing more and more in contingency operations, we no longer can keep the parts that we do have on the shelves. We're driving more miles with our tanks, flying more hours in our aircraft and parts that manufactures and the military never thought might/would fail, are beginning to do just that. If the original vendor went out of business, it could take months, even years to find a company/vendor to make them. Then, we get to pay start up costs (that's why you see expensive repair parts).

A concerned logistician

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   
U.S. Unwilling to Drop Korea Military Option
By Randall Mikkelsen

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States said on Tuesday it was unwilling to rule out military action to resolve an impasse over North Korea's nuclear ambitions but was considering new talks as it pursued a peaceful solution.

channels.netscape.com...
FF-RTO-rontz&idq=/ff/story/0002%2F20030722%2F114179654
.htm&sc=rontz&photoid=20030722SEO36D

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix_cross
any american citisen or citisen of the DPRK or South Korea who wish to NOT DIE, i suggest you get the hell outta there as soon as possible. i think that it's only a matter or time, before something BAD happens to ignite a war.

it's like when hitler invaded poland, dresed up some of his dudes as polish soldiers to shoot at his dudes then gave him a reason to invade, it'd be so easy for a few bad men to dress up as americans, infiltrate the NK side of the DMZ, blow something up and give the north a reason to invade before any more such attacks could occur, the US wouldn't have time to conduct an investigation, the North simply wouldn't, and we'd be in a world of hurt. just a tasty scenario.

well it'd be awfully hard for crazy kim to make short, black haired koreans look like the average american milper. (military personnel) or do we still have segregation in the military? cuz then he might have a chance....

easy to make european soldiers look like other european soldiers, however its quite a task to make koreans look like american soldiers. the task isnt as easy as you think. as if anyone is going to believe even a squad of american soldiers would all be of asian heritage let alone a platoon.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 07:50 PM
link   
1. US strikes north korean nuclear facilities.
2. North Korea invades south korea with the largest artillery strike of the 21st century followed by the ultimate storming of a million-man army.
3. Massives strikes begin on north korea by american bombers.
4. North Korea Nukes japan (and maybe USA too.)
5. USA responds with nuclear strikes.
6. We all die.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by necro99
2. North Korea invades south korea with the largest artillery strike of the 21st century followed by the ultimate storming of a million-man army.
6. We all die.

considering that most of those in that million man army are generally there for propoganda purposes and not because they want to be. considering that most of the people in north korea have been under crazy kims thumb for a long time.

considering they force their own people to not only view but participate in these military parades while the rest of the country starves i doubt they're will be many who will want to fight us IF it comes to that.

it is well written the kitten would be king of the jungle if mice were elephants. he is a paper dragon who likes to play with matches. it will be his own undoing and it wont be from us.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 09:49 PM
link   
You americans overlook one important factor.
Fanatism.

The north koreans probably brainwashed their soldiers to the extreme, and they will fight.

But anyway, if a richer country invaded yours, would'nt you fight?

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 09:56 PM
link   

You americans overlook one important factor.
Fanatism.

The north koreans probably brainwashed their soldiers to the extreme, and they will fight.

But anyway, if a richer country invaded yours, would'nt you fight?

I myself havent overlooked that however these people have reduced to eating the flesh of the dead in order to survive. these people know all too well how their government treats them. their government also lies to them and shuts them out from the rest of the world. they are to believe we are like demons, evil vile things that only want to destroy them.

sure some might fight, thats to be expected but they're still on a losing side. kim jong il knows this and seeks to antagonize us hoping we'll throw him a bone. if he was serious he would have done soemthing by now. there's only been a ceasefire since the 50's!

and pray tell what does wealth have to do with an invading army? is it the wealth bothers you or the invading force? i find it interesting you mention this.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
fanaticism amounts to nothing more than "more cannon fodder for the fire"....

I understand what your saying Necro...I do, but I really don't think Mr. Kim has much fanatical backing if the truth was really brought forth.

I may be wrong but it is a sort of 'gut' feeling I have. The US is bascially playing the "you make the first bold move and we'll see where it goes from there" attitude. Mr. Kim is more a hinderance to the talks and to his own country than he is a benefit.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Originally posted by TigeriS
I don't think US has the balls to invade North Korea, and there are no legal reasons to invade Iran. It will be very very difficult for the US to justify any more preemptive militairy action around the globe without a new shocking terrorist attack.

I don't think its a matter of balls TigeriS. Seriously, I don't. I think its more a 'calculation' matter. The US most probably waiting for N.Korea to simply seriously mess up. Even then, I think it will be a 'calculated' response, especially if you add in that the region is mainly in the sphere of control of China and Russia....diffently a matter of 'calculations' then lack of balls.
It is an opinion and I respect yours. I just felt the need to clarify the "lack of balls" comment is all.

regards
seekerof

Well it's just another way to say, "we don't have the balls" to be responsable for the consequences. Because our calculation says the outcome might be bad for us..
I know that most Americans think they are the greatest and can beat every other army in the world. I have one word for those...... wake up !

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The most likely course of action on this front is that since the death of Saddams sons, he will launch a strike within the US, likely using WMDs.

"Saddam" (who is likely already dead, but will easily be resurrected by the CIA/Mossad) will show up in Iran, and give us an excuse to wander into Iran and take that country down as well.

Reason for taking Iran? Easy. We took Iraq in the first place NOT because of WMD or any other publicly acceptable reason. We did it because Iraq (along with Iran) was very publicly interested in forcing a vote in OPEC to change the oil standard currency from the US dollar to the Euro. This would leave the Dollar with no hard asset backing, and in short order the US economy would collapse, followed by a large percentage of the world economy.

North Korea is a much greater military threat, but a far smaller economic threat, and therefore is being put on the back burner. Im not sure this is a good idea, but its what is happening. At this moment, the current strategy seems to be to sit back and let NK run its mouth, until China gets uncomfortable enough to step in and knock NK down a peg or two for us.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 10:31 PM
link   
HEY! weather yall like it or not war is here to stay. as long as there are humans on this planet there is going to be war. so quit yer bitchin and get used to it.
there will never be absolute peace. its impossible. always has been and always will be. the only thing we can do is pray for the best and prepare for the worst.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix_cross
i think north korea will be next, let me first discuss why iran won't be next.

iran is currently facing a student revolution, the people, there, have decided that democracy would work better for their needs than would theocracy, which has screwed them over since the iraq-iran war way back when. the students, the leaders of tomorrows world, are taking the steps to make that war, and if democracy is the cause, than that is what the US is going to back. like it or not, we will not likely fight a major war in iran, most likely force the current regime to stand down, or arm and train the insurgency.

north korea on the other hand, is a different matter. firefights between the north and south on the DMZ are becoming more frequent, and if anything else, is only a sign of things to come. north korea is a matter for the US to immediately address, we mustn't allow this to grow into something more or less like vietnam. like i stated above, this is a war of sequels, the second gulf war went a little bit worse than the first, considering it is yet to be over. if the north korean crisis follows the same path, and is a little bit worse than either the first koorean conflict, or even vietnam, then there will be hell to pay. with no truely promising leaders occuring in the upcoming election, or, no leader who has given a solution for the current military situation, we are, to put it bluntly, f*cked. korean unity must be solved between the two koreas, and if war breaks out, let us at least divert the nuclear possibility. the last thing you and i need to hear about is a nuclear blast in the heart of seoul.

it wont be another vietnam. if kimmy's forces even set foot in the south we're gonna throw everything we have shot of nuclear weapons at him. kimmy'd better think twice about messing with the south.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 10:35 PM
link   

6. We all die.

no. no. NO!

we wont all die. the only way we will all die is if the russians get involved. and the only way the united states would respond with nuclear weapons is if only our home soil was hit by a bomb. if its in korea we wont.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Keep in mind a few points:

China, is NKs northern neighbor, and we are currently a big time trading partner with China. Therefore, the US is much more important to China than NK.

NK hates Japan, and vice versa.

Japan has publicly stated (twice) that they will act preemptively if they have information that NK is planning to strike them (and they are in constant communication with US intelligence)

China WILL NOT stand for a nuclear exchange in its backyard.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join