It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone Flooding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   
yellowstone

Original article, 9:30 a.m. Monday: Yellowstone National Park has closed roads temporarily in the northern part of the park due to substantial flooding, rockslides and mudslides on roadways due to recent unprecedented amounts of rain. Visitors currently in the northern part of Yellowstone are being evacuated, park officials said.

Some of these roads may remain closed for an extended period of time, park officials said in a news release. Preliminary assessments show multiple sections of road in the park have been washed out between Gardiner and Cooke City, Montana, and multiple bridges might be affected.
There have been "multiple road and bridge failures, mudslides and other issues" in northern Yellowstone, which is being evacuated. Park officials plan to evacuate southern Yellowstone as well.

sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime event.
presumably no impact on the supervolcano
CNN calls this 'unprecedented' flooding
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add content

edit on Tue Jun 14 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Real unprecedented' flooding or Snowflake unprecedented' flooding ?

I wonder what effects ton's of water have if it reaches a lava chamber tons of steam and pressure i would think .

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher
We are thinking along the same lines -

Scientists Map Yellowstone’s Underground ‘Plumbing’ - May 27, 2022

But perhaps most importantly, the map fills an important knowledge gap between what’s happening on the surface and what’s happening in the magma bodies that extend three to 30 miles below ground.

“It’s like a mystery sandwich—we know a lot about the surface features from direct observation and a fair amount about the magmatic and tectonic system several kilometers down from geophysical work, but we don’t really know what’s in the middle,” Steven Holbrook, a geophysicist at Virginia Tech University and one of the study’s authors, says in a statement.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder
MT I was just recently at Yellowstone and it was surreal. Lakes were entirely empty of water. In fact I could walk my dogs on the lake bottom.
Maybe those lake areas will be able to absorb this excess water? They certainly have room for it.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ravenwatcher
a reply to: ElGoobero

Real unprecedented' flooding or Snowflake unprecedented' flooding ?

I wonder what effects ton's of water have if it reaches a lava chamber tons of steam and pressure i would think .

Massive explosion

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtful1
Why are the lake beds where you were so dry in the first place please?
Yellowstone National Park is a big place, 3.5k square miles. Maybe the floods are happening nowhere near where lakebeds are dry.
Just trying to piece a jigsaw together.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Roads are washing out near me (lower Idaho panhandle); happens every few years. The road runs close to the Lapwai creek in several spots, and is in danger of escaping its banks every year during periods of heavy rain. The ground just can't absorb the water fast enough anymore because of the prolonged drought conditions.
Letting a sponge dry out completely and then pouring water on it is a good example; you get massive runoff until the sponge gets fully hydrated again.

I remember scientists raising the alarm about this back in the 1970's if we didn't find better ways to live, and quit borrowing water from water-rich areas to turn desert areas into oasis and wasting billions of gallons every year for industrial purposes. The danger signs are always ignored in favor of profit until it's a crisis and the Genii is out of the bottle.

It seems every year we're seeing more and more reports of roads being either washed away from flooding, avalanches, and hillside collapse. Throw in the giant sinkholes and I think we've handed Mother Earth a way to fight back, reclaiming her territory. lol

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1
We had never before seen flooding in B.C. last summer, took out main highways, then unprecedented heat, whole towns burnt down. Right now, not sure what to expect, very wet spring, not much sun..lots of snowpack has not melted yet..might be bad again.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod
Weather patterns seem to have drastically shifted all over- solar winds changing their normal pattern are having a big influence, from my understanding. They're going to have to redo climate maps one day soon, I think.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
Weather patterns seem to have drastically shifted all over- solar winds changing their normal pattern are having a big influence, from my understanding. They're going to have to redo climate maps one day soon, I think.

Agree'd, the climate is a changin!

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Changing too fast recently.
Floods in France, Japan, Brazil and many other places.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thoughtful1
a reply to: MetalThunder
MT I was just recently at Yellowstone and it was surreal. Lakes were entirely empty of water. In fact I could walk my dogs on the lake bottom.
Maybe those lake areas will be able to absorb this excess water? They certainly have room for it.

Ask yourself where the lake water went. That's a far more interesting discussion.

posted on Jun, 14 2022 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

It should be pretty scary, things are changing pretty fast.

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

It should be pretty scary, things are changing pretty fast.

I believe I read somewhere that the Earth's axis are shifting and we all know that the ever-slightest shift could be pretty bad.

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 12:00 PM
link   
When groundwater heated by magma rises to the surface and collects in a natural pool, it is called a hot spring. In volcanic areas, groundwater heated by magma is a source of geothermal energy.

This could be a precursor to something terrible

top topics

join