It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need gun control and LOTS of it

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

We gotta remember though...there are 360MILLION guns in the US right now, so its a miracle we dont see this every day.

Indeed. What's even more miraculous is that only 8% of violent crimes in the U.S. involve the use of a firearm. That doesn't mean we should diminish the importance of those who were victims of such, but it does mean you are MUCH more likely to be killed by any other method than a gun.
Link

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: pr0ph3t
a reply to: lakenheath24

This should be the only answer. It's the number one reason why we dont have mass shootings here in the UK. Nothing wrong with owning guns, but theres a LOT wrong with how simply anyone can get guns over there.

Island nation of 70 million vs a nation of 350 million. With two large boarders with human trafficking/ drug trafficking/ weapons trafficking.

Apples and oranges.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Even I heard this on the radio this morning!

First the sad news about the shooting, then the snipped from Biden about gun control. Already using the sad event for gun control! As if criminals or someone that plans this anyways would be stopped if guns would be outlawed. Then they just find a different method.

Citizens should have easy ways to own guns, the citizens should have that power too. It's what your constitution says and has proven historical to be important for balance.

Next they outlaw knives and scissors with sharp ends?

edit on 25.5.2022 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Apparently the shooter went on a shopping spree just days before -

www.foxnews.com...

My question is - how did he pay for all of that?

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 01:00 PM
link   
And, as opposed to the UK, the culture in the US idolizes guns, from music vids, to Hollywood, to TikToc and other SM platforms.

It would be like banning fish n chips in the UK. Damned near impossible.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Maybe he had a job...or or you saying because he is Hispanic that he was probably a deadbeat, eating nachos and wearing a sunbrero while having a siesta 12 hours a day?

I bought a badass Tbird in high skool from saving up from my J-O-B. Then again...I am white so one would expect that.

a reply to: underpass61

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   
In Massachusetts, to buy a gun, you need to take a 4 hour gun safety class, character reference from 2 people , and a 1 on 1 interview with a police officer and they have the LOWEST GUN RATE DEATH in America...imagine that

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   
MY GOD! Sounds like common sense!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAN IT NOW!

a reply to: research100

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Yeah, that House Judiciary Committee report is about as accurate as this one, huh?

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The bullet from an AR-15 does an entirely different kind of violence to the human body. It’s relatively small, but it leaves the muzzle at three times the speed of a handgun bullet. It has so much energy that it can disintegrate three inches of leg bone. “It would just turn it to dust,” says Donald Jenkins, a trauma surgeon at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. If it hits the liver, “the liver looks like a jello mold that’s been dropped on the floor.” And the exit wound can be a nasty, jagged hole the size of an orange.

a reply to: IamSeekerof

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100
In Massachusetts, to buy a gun, you need to take a 4 hour gun safety class, character reference from 2 people , and a 1 on 1 interview with a police officer and they have the LOWEST GUN RATE DEATH in America...imagine that

Actually, Hawaii is the lowest in America with MA running a close second. Interestingly enough, where I live in Southern Illinois has one of the lowest gun crime rates and deaths in the state. Gun crimes here are extremely rare, yet north of us is Chicago, which by itself has a firearm mortality rate higher than some whole states. Yet gun laws in Chicago are much more strict than where I live. Go figure.
edit on 5/25/2022 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 01:51 PM
link   

You'll never solve *criminal shootings with laws, no matter how many pass.

But preventing an obviously mentally disturbed, 18 year old from going on a killing spree IS a possibility.

*gangs, robbery, drugs etc..
edit on 25-5-2022 by TheResidentAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The bullet from an AR-15 does an entirely different kind of violence to the human body. It’s relatively small, but it leaves the muzzle at three times the speed of a handgun bullet. It has so much energy that it can disintegrate three inches of leg bone. “It would just turn it to dust,” says Donald Jenkins, a trauma surgeon at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. If it hits the liver, “the liver looks like a jello mold that’s been dropped on the floor.” And the exit wound can be a nasty, jagged hole the size of an orange.

a reply to: IamSeekerof

What does all that have to do with the multiple studies I gave that indicated that assault weapons ban had/have little effect on rates of violent crime and gun violence?

There are already enough gun laws and restrictions currently on the books, so to speak in nearly every state and on the Fed level that we don't need more damn laws. These type incidents, like yesterday, are not about guns, guns laws, etc. They are more about the state of society and culture in this country.

Would the adding of more redundant gun laws have changed that yesterday's shooter had a non-existent father?
Would the adding of more redundant gun laws have changed that his mother was a drug addict?
That his mother had a live-in boyfriend?
That he did not get along with either his mother or her live-in boyfriend?
Would more laws on top of already existing laws change that his main form of communication was social media?
That he had absolutely no supervision?
And that the one possible or actual form of supervision was from the person his drug addicted mother dumped him off on, his grandmother, which he killed?

The actual and real issue(s) here concerning most of these type incidents like yesterday that repeatedly continue to go unaddressed, unmentioned, etc. are directly linked to the state of our society and culture today and the lack of accountability that is so prevalent within it. As always, it's easier to blame guns, push for more gun laws on top of the already existing myriad of gun laws on the books, etc. than to actually address the real issue: the people who pulled the trigger on them there guns.......
edit on 25-5-2022 by IamSeekerof because: grammatical fixes

edit on 25-5-2022 by IamSeekerof because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-5-2022 by IamSeekerof because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 02:16 PM
link   

are you aware that there is differing opinions on the idea that the assault weapons ban did anything.
abcnews.go.com...

That is unclear. According to a 2004 study from the University of Pennsylvania, the number of people killed in mass shootings did go down generally during the years that the ban was in effect. The exception was 1999, the year that the shooting at Columbine High School happened.

The number of mass shootings per year has doubled since the ban expired, but the researchers say it's difficult to discern whether there was a cause-and-effect relationship.

It seems there is a much bigger conversation that needs to happen, and everyone needs to be open to new thinking. Doing the same things we did, doesn't seem to offer any new answers.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   

do those same rules apply for gang bangers? I only ask because legal gun owners don't seem to be the usual suspects in things like this. Criminals who get the guns illegally are the usual suspects.

I have a CCW, I had to do paperwork, pay different places for paperwork, take a class (8 hrs) and wait for the license to come in. Now that I have it, I can buy a handgun anytime I like as often as I like. But again, I'm not the guy shooting up schools.

I understand the emotions on this, I have them too, but restricting non criminals in their rights, may not offer the fix you really want.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Can someone confirm if the guns were stolen or not?

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: PurpleFox

It was reported that he bought them on his 18th birthday a couple of days before the shooting.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Staff removal.
edit on 5/25/2022 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Coming to a country near you, to be able to speak, you need to take a **6 month reeducation seminar (wink wink), references from at least 4 ranking regional party members, and an assessment by the local board of party standards and regulations.

We would have the LOWEST FREEDOM OF SPEECH ON EARTH....now......imagine that..

/s
edit on 5/26/2022 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   
100% on the ATF.
They should more thoroughly check the psych backgrounds of these lunatics.

Arm all school administrators and teachers. All of them.

That would solve this problem in a hurry. IE no more soft targets.

edit on 26-5-2022 by fishy6 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join