It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need gun control and LOTS of it

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

This was all planned.

And I don't mean the specific shooter in the specific school in the specific state.

But it was planned and anticipated nonetheless.

We have a judicial problem.
We have a discipline problem.

The guy who shot someone in New York was out on 1 dollar bail.

1 dollar!

This is what they want so they can have an excuse to enact the laws that they want.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 09:56 AM
link   
FIRST you claims these laws don't change anything but don't post any numbers to back up what you said....so here
in 1994 bill clinton signed a bill banning assault weapons mass shooting deaths dropped 43% this stood 10 years until the republicans let it lapse in 2004 mass shooting deaths went up 239% and texas governor abbott , mcconnell and trump will be at the annual NRA conference IN TEXAS on fri to speak oh the hypocrisy

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: lakenheath24

A background check, 30 day wait, registration, especially at second hand gun shows and private transfer. Up the age to 21 unless a parent cosigns. Mandatory gun safety courses.

Eliminate cross state sales unless they get registered.

I'm curious. What happens when you get all of these laws in place and it doesn't change anything? The 8% of violent crimes in this country committed with a firearm stays the same. Then what?

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
Thank you DB. Exactly.
More laws when we don't even enforce the ones we have, so we get more murders and write more laws that are ineffective and selectively enforced, so we get more murders, so we can write even more laws... Well, you get the idea.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: research100
FIRST you claims these laws don't change anything but don't post any numbers to back up what you said....so here
in 1994 bill clinton signed a bill banning assault weapons mass shooting deaths dropped 43% this stood 10 years until the republicans let it lapse in 2004 mass shooting deaths went up 239% and texas governor abbott , mcconnell and trump will be at the annual NRA conference IN TEXAS on fri to speak oh the hypocrisy

A background check, 30 day wait, registration, especially at second hand gun shows and private transfer. Up the age to 21 unless a parent cosigns. Mandatory gun safety courses.

Eliminate cross state sales unless they get registered.

I'm curious. What happens when you get all of these laws in place and it doesn't change anything? The 8% of violent crimes in this country committed with a firearm stays the same. Then what?

can you cite the data you quoted please.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:11 AM
link   

There are so many things wrong here, and everyone talks at others, instead of TO others.
No, I don't want to hear about grabbing the gunz, but I do want to talk about the problem and how to fix it.

In an age where we can have instant dialog with people all around the globe, we have yet to learn how to communicate with each other.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I agree. I just started a thread on the 2nd that shares your opinions.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:14 AM
link   
www.judiciary.senate.gov...

” found that the number of gun massacres dropped by 37 percent and the number of gun massacre deaths fell by 43 percent while the ban was in effect compared to the previous decade. After the ban lapsed in 2004, those numbers dramatically rose – a 183 percent increase in massacres and a 239 percent increase in massacre deaths.
A 2019 study in the Journal of Trauma and Acute Surgery found that, based on data from 1981 to 2017, there were fewer mass-shooting deaths while the ban was in place.
A 2017 study in the Journal of Urban Health observed that law enforcement recovery of assault weapons fell nationwide while the ban was in base, indicating that they were used in fewer crimes, but increased after the ban expired.
A 2004 University of Pennsylvania study conducted for the Justice Department explained that the use of assault weapons in crime declined by 70 percent nine years after the Assault Weapons Ban took effect.

a reply to: network dude

edit on 25-5-2022 by research100 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-5-2022 by research100 because: added paragraph

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:16 AM
link   
What do I look like, Nostradamous? All I know is that nothing like this happened when I was a kid.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: research100

Did the assault weapons ban make a difference in mass shootings? Not significantly, according to Fox’s data at the time. From 1976 to 1994, about 18 mass shootings occurred each year. During the ban — 1995 to 2004 — there were about 19 incidents per year. After the ban, through 2011, the average went up to nearly 21.

Link

We can trade studies all day long. The truth is, most of them are politically slanted in one direction or another. Whatever your "trusted" source, they are sure to stroke and confirm your bias.

edit on 5/25/2022 by Klassified because: eta

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Has anyone verified these claims before we take them as fact??

a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:22 AM
link   
yes www.judiciary.senate.gov...

” found that the number of gun massacres dropped by 37 percent and the number of gun massacre deaths fell by 43 percent while the ban was in effect compared to the previous decade. After the ban lapsed in 2004, those numbers dramatically rose – a 183 percent increase in massacres and a 239 percent increase in massacre deaths.
A 2019 study in the Journal of Trauma and Acute Surgery found that, based on data from 1981 to 2017, there were fewer mass-shooting deaths while the ban was in place.

A 2017 study in the Journal of Urban Health observed that law enforcement recovery of assault weapons fell nationwide while the ban was in base, indicating that they were used in fewer crimes, but increased after the ban expired.
A 2004 University of Pennsylvania study conducted for the Justice Department explained that the use of assault weapons in crime declined by 70 percent nine years after the Assault Weapons Ban took effect. a reply to: lakenheath24

edit on 25-5-2022 by research100 because: spelling

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Gun control won't solve this problem. The real issue is mental illness. There is no system in place to deal with it properly.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:24 AM
link   
you are using FOX ( who constantly lie) as your link ??? really?????

Did the assault weapons ban make a difference in mass shootings? Not significantly, according to Fox’s data at the time. From 1976 to 1994, about 18 mass shootings occurred each year. During the ban — 1995 to 2004 — there were about 19 incidents per year. After the ban, through 2011, the average went up to nearly 21.

Link

We can trade studies all day long. The truth is, most of them are politically slanted in one direction or another. Whatever your "trusted" source, they are sure to stroke and confirm your bias.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

There are so many things wrong here, and everyone talks at others, instead of TO others.
No, I don't want to hear about grabbing the gunz, but I do want to talk about the problem and how to fix it.

In an age where we can have instant dialog with people all around the globe, we have yet to learn how to communicate with each other.

True enough, but understandably, this is a "triggering" topic and it's hard to get cooler heads to prevail. In addition, our own government has a history of creating, or at least encouraging and exacerbating problems like this one so they can react to it and enact the legislation they wanted all along. Everyone knows it, even Hollywood, but everyone goes into denial mode once the debate starts and clings to tribal mentality.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Link

You know the link goes to The Washington Post, not Fox. A bit disingenuous, don't you think? Yes, they quoted Fox, but it is no better or worse than your own favorite lies.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
What do I look like, Nostradamous? All I know is that nothing like this happened when I was a kid.

The question was sincere. I simply asked what we do if those measures don't work.

Mass shootings have been around for a very long time. Though admittedly, they are more frequent and focused upon now. As they should be, it's a problem that needs addressing.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Someone is Locking and Loading for them.
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Link

as a 'researcher' you use all information.not just biased info. The reason the killings dropped was because they wanted the numbers to drop. how? by creative tracking of gang shootings.

Also there is a assault ban still in place since WW2 for automatic weapons. onlt FFL 3 owners can get those,and they are highly regulated.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Well doing nothing aint working for a start. And the NRA has turned into a caricature of what it originally was for.

To me, nobody should be allowed to look at a gun until they have had a gun safety course. Under 21? Parents are responsible for your ass....same as buying booze.

I dunno....it's a lot of mental health problems out there what with lockdowns, fear mongering on social media, and MSM.
This is only gonna get worse.

So as of right now, I would make it like a job interview to buy a gun...60 days, and a background check to include social media and I would include interviews with 6 people....kinda like what I had for my top secret clearance. This would be for new owners only.

We gotta remember though...there are 360MILLION guns in the US right now, so its a miracle we dont see this every day.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: pr0ph3t

This should be the only answer. It's the number one reason why we dont have mass shootings here in the UK. Nothing wrong with owning guns, but theres a LOT wrong with how simply anyone can get guns over there.

You had one last year...

Jake Davison, 23, a licensed firearms holder, shot two women, two men and the three-year-old girl in the Keyham area of Plymouth in the southwest English county of Devon on Thursday night.

It was the first mass shooting in the U.K for 11 years. The last one was on June 2, 2010. when Derrick Bird killed 12 people in Cumbria, England.

Link
Lets hope that's the last one you folks see for at least another 11 years, or ever preferably.

That said, I suspect the reason you have such a low mass shooting rate is because it is not politically expedient like it is in the U.S.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join