It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you ever watch a supposed great movie and think meh?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I often find myself thinking some movies are just overhyped.
My daughter finally got me to watch uncut gems. Adam Sandler plays a jeweler that gambles. I heard all kinds of good things about this movie.

Spoiler ahead, so if you keep reading it’s on you.

Sandler plays his character pretty well, I mean the guy is an ass and that comes through quite well. Unfortunately when the climax of the movie comes around and everything is coming up roses for the lead character he get shot in the face killing him. My reaction was… meh. The entire movie showed this guy putting his family last and not giving him anything relatable to the audience so when he died it didn’t really matter.
Honestly everyone around him is better off he’s gone.

I want my two hours back.

edit on 27-2-2022 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 08:53 PM
link   
What makes you think this was a "great" movie? It's B-List at best. It "made money" but only cost $19 million to make. Meh?
edit on 2/27/2022 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
I rarely watch movies or series any more, but of those movies I have watched, meh sums up most of them.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
What makes you think this was a "great" movie? It's B-List at best. It "made money" but only cost $19 million to make. Meh?

Well I wasn’t just talking about this particular movie. My meaning was more of a broad statement.

That being said, this movie has a 92% rating on rotten tomatoes.
Roger Ebert has it at four stars
IMDb has it at 7.4 out of 10… (black panther has a 7.3 and was nominated for best picture….lol)

Yeah, it wasn’t Oscar nominated but it did get some good hype.
Good, great, it’s subjective but I still think this one got too much good press.

As for money, west side story was Oscar nominated and was a box office flop.
Fast and furious 56 made millions… doubt anyone claims that’s a “great” movie.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
I rarely watch movies or series any more, but of those movies I have watched, meh sums up most of them.

I feel the same way... but back in the day there was so much epic stuff out there.

It’s almost like people have lost the ability of creativity.

Or maybe I’m just getting old and lost the ability to relate to main stream culture... who knows?

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Sure. Happens all the time. Back in 1981 it was “My dinner with Andre”. Two guys having a dinner at a restaurant in Manhattan, talking to each other. Wasn’t a good meal; wasn’t a good conversation. The critics loved it. To this day I can’t understand it.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Ummm…yes…just last night…I rented and watched the new Dune movie…and that’s exactly what I thought…Meh…

Not quite sure why…except that it didn’t live up to the hype for me…

I absolutely loved the books and read them multiple times…I also actually liked the first two iterations of the movies…

YouSir

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Yeah, I remember that one.. don’t recall much about it though..

Twelve angry men is a good one if you want to see people talking around a table,..

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Haven’t seen that one yet.
I never really liked the old one. Dune is a hard story to make a movie with.. a mini series would be better suited.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I read somewhere that the best movie makers of the past, the best script writers used to study the great literary canon and learn how to craft story from that.

Today, the great movie makers study the great films, and the drop off in quality of narrative has been noticeable.

While there is something to be said for the study of great film to help on learn one's craft. Nothing teaches the art of crafting great story like studying the best storytellers on offer, and film does not best showcase the storyteller's art. It's too truncated in length and depth.

That doesn't mean it isn't a worthy medium in its own right, but it's something of which story is only a part, but a very important part.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I imagine the studios and producers are a problem too.
I remember watching Kevin smith talk about writing a Superman script and a movie producer that didn’t want Superman to fly and wanted a giant spider in the film.

Found it..

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 09:35 PM
link   
You want to watch a fun movie?

Try Free Guy.

I dug it so hard I buried myself

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

I have heard good things about that one.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I have heard good things about that one.

It took forever to come out, but this guy, adam sandler has no candle to his..

If you do watch it, prepare for a mad ride. Its not quite intelligent. but fun nontheless.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I imagine the studios and producers are a problem too.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of movies nowadays end up being made by a bunch of different people who don't give a crap about the movie. Someone quickly does their one specific job and then they move on to the next movie. They probably often don't even know what the movie is about.

Regarding 'Uncut Gems': I watched it right when it was released, but I had not heard anything at all about it before then. I thought it was ok (maybe even on the lower side of ok). Then over the next few months, I kept hearing it mentioned here and there (by TV people. Not real people. lol)....

But every time I heard about it, it was someone saying how great it was, which didn't make much sense to me.

I figured they were probably just promoting the movie to try and help out Sandler, just to get more people to watch it, but they didn't honestly think it was an exceptionally great movie. Hell. they may not have even watched it themselves.

Honestly, I liked 'Hubie Halloween' better than 'Uncut Gems'. I mean, Sandler's character was far beyond ridiculous. He didn't need to take it quite that far, and the movie was dumb, but I liked it.
edit on 2/27/22 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 10:47 PM
link   

We have it.

It is a fun movie.

posted on Feb, 27 2022 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

There are too many cooks and not enough people willing to take a change on something new. Notice how many franchises we have? How many Fast and Furious movies are there now, each more stupid and ridiculous than the last ...

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I've said that of Ender's Game, yet they made a dang awful movie of it.

I get what you mean though, some comedy movies for example I just don't get. Everyone loves Anchorman, I can't get 10 minutes in. Happens with every genre for me, some are highly rated that I just don't get.

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Yeah, I hate it. Especially with the Super-Hero movie franchises. A few years back, I tried to give them a chance, and watched several of them, but every movie follows the exact same 'tried & proven' formula. They know they're making shyt movies, but there's no risk involved. Most people don't want to watch a new movie that they have to pay attention to, and that forces them to think in order to understand it.

I guess predictability is comforting.

posted on Feb, 28 2022 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Tokyo Drift was one of the best street racing movies I've seen, in spite of the cheese that happens it. Everything else, nah I'm good.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join