It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Ukraine Update Thread

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: majesticgent

originally posted by: Gothmog
Does anyone at all remember Serbia under the Clinton administration ?
Is this any different ?

I do, and I remember the name Slobodan Milošević was mentioned many many times all over the main stream media.

And the situation in the Ukraine ?
The news you will not see on US television ?

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 07:39 PM
link   

a reply to: putnam6

Now that I think about it. Don't these planes do these tight spirals when approaching a potential combat zone to prevent a clean shot from any SAMs? Not speculating that's what was going on here, but who knows.

it was likely all for show, after all, they don't have to be identified at all, It's not too evasive if some dolt like me can watch and track on ads exchange

FWIW Marine commercial traffic seems heavy, considering reports the Russian Navy is everywhere
edit on 21-2-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The unrest and fighting in Donbass has been an ongoing situation for nearly 8 years now, ever since the Ukranian revolution.

Since the start of the conflict there have been 29 ceasefires, each intended to remain in force indefinitely, but none of them have stopped the violence.[55][56][57] The most successful attempt to halt the fighting was in 2016, when a ceasefire held for six consecutive weeks.[57] Ukraine, Russia, the DPR, the LPR and the OSCE agreed to a roadmap for an end to the conflict on 1 October 2019.[58] However, the conflict did not thaw since then and, by late summer 2020, still remained unresolved on multiple levels.[59][55] The latest ceasefire (29th)[55] came into force on 27 July 2020 which led to no Ukrainian combat losses for more than a month.[60][61][55] According to Ukrainian authorities, from 27 July 2020 until 7 November 2020 Ukrainian mortal losses decreased tenfold (three Ukrainian soldiers were killed) and the number of attacks decreased 5.5-fold.[62] The first trimester of 2021 saw a large increase in Ukrainian fatalities (25, compared with 50 deaths in the whole of 2020) and the buildup of a large Russian military force on the Donbas-Russian border late March to early April 2021 and from late October and November 2021 onwards.[63]

It seems like some believe this was some snap, knee-jerk blitzkrieg invasion, versus what seems like an ill-advised but perhaps act of fatigue and attempt to put this situation to rest.

A number of people have pointed out the prevalence of Russian speaker and citizens in the contested Eastern territories, and there seems to be a lot of pro-Russian sentiment there.

So....why can't this be resolved peacefully by the Ukranians? A referendum perhaps, or some compromise to set up DMZs there? Russia certainly is not squeaky clean, but the Ukranians seem to have played a part in this as well.

Seems to me that, if the Donbass region is mostly socially and ethnically Russian, then why is this situation so difficult to address?

Very quietly among the MSM torent of "REBELS in Ukraine!" and "PUTIN THE INVADER!" you can find sentiment that really, the Ukraine would be better served allowing Donbass to be in the Russian sphere. I don't condone sending troops into a contested region, but I mean, 20+ "cease fires" in the past 8 years! The fighting never really stopped from the Crimean dust up..

But, again, we see that Ukraine seems to be a very facile proxy for the West to instigate fear and dissaray. Before this started, the Ukranian president told Biden to calm down and stop inflaming the situation. Honestly, what good will or beneficial negotiation did the US bring to the table? Would this even be happening if Biden and Neocon war mongers had let REGIONAL authorities handle this? No, instead "the bear was poked". and tensions rose, and here we are.

I wanted to make a thread listing all of things that are NOT in the news now, due to a small little area in Eastern Europe that has been contested by various parties for a long long time.

It is a very convenient way for the US to change narratives and redirect attention.

We SHOULD NOT be involved in this unilaterally, at all.
edit on 21-2-2022 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

Perhaps this will give Ukraine the "peace" they need to apply to join NATO? Doubt it will happen, but it can't stop them from applying if they let those regions go and are no longer in conflict.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
FWIW Marine commercial traffic seems heavy, considering reports the Russian Navy is everywhere

Please, do keep us posted on this

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 07:58 PM
link   
This link may work to show a live feed of the UN Security council's meeting about Ukraine. I believe this will start around 9pm EST (-5 UTC)

media.un.org...
edit on 21-2-2022 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:02 PM
link   

a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

Perhaps this will give Ukraine the "peace" they need to apply to join NATO? Doubt it will happen, but it can't stop them from applying if they let those regions go and are no longer in conflict.

Just another element of the farce.

North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

My geography is a little fuzzy.....but....is there a single point of boundary in Ukraine that is within 500k of the Atlantic Ocean?

NATO should've been disbanded with the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact.

The US and UK share enough commonality to remain allies and form our own pact, but why would North American countries be strategically linked to any former satellite countries of the USSR??

All of this is controlled and calculated disorder, planned chaos.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Belarus is being annexed by Russia and its government will face the same “massive” sanctions as Moscow should there be an invasion of Ukraine from its territory, the EU’s foreign affairs chief has said.

Speaking at the end of a tense 10-hour meeting of the bloc’s 27 foreign ministers, Josep Borrell said the Belarusian president, Alexander Lukashenko, was allowing his country to become a Russian satellite state.

The lack of transparency from Minsk over Russian troop deployments on Belarusian territory left the EU without any choice but to treat it as being complicit in the aggression against Ukraine, Borrell said.

“I want to repeat once again that any further aggression against Ukraine will have a strong answer from the European Union,” he told reporters in Brussels. “But I want to add that this will also apply to Belarus should an attack be conducted from each territory with its involvement.

“Belarus is being dragged into the crisis. It is losing its sovereignty. With a non-transparent deployment of Russian forces, Belarus is losing its nuclear neutrality. It is in the process of satellisation with respect to Russia.”

Belarus should face same sanctions as Russia in event of invasion, says EU

Belarus is in the spotlight to receive sanctions alongside Russia if any troop movements into Ukraine originate from its borders. This is interesting because some have stated that Belarus is now defacto a part of Russia, but I do not know enough about Belarus to speak on their relationship with Russia.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

NATO should've been disbanded with the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact.

The US and UK share enough commonality to remain allies and form our own pact, but why would North American countries be strategically linked to any former satellite countries of the USSR??

My guess would be to prevent another USSR from forming again after the dust settled?

It's the same as saying all nuclear weapons should have been done away with after the Soviet Union collapsed and the Cold War ended. Why do we need them now?

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:11 PM
link   
If that’s not an invasion, going into someone's country with 200 thousand troops on the border, I don’t know what an invasion is.

Putin is doing the same as Hitler did before and up until WWII: First, Putin annexed Crimea now these two regions in Donbas;

Hitler annexed Austria and then a part of Czechoslovakia

Then Hitler claimed Czechoslovakia wasn’t even a country. The allies basically gave him( to appease him) that country in the infamous Munich agreement. He was allowed to basically annex the Sudetenland in Czechoslovakia

Putin in his speech said Ukraine wasn’t even a country

Now he needs a land bridge in Ukraine to Crimea.

Hitler needed a land bridge in Poland as well to connect west Germany with East Germany

Putin will now likely invade Ukraine for among other reasons to get a land bridge he now needs since he annexed Crimea

Hitler used the excuse to get a land bridge through Danzig or the Polish corridor that part of Germany separated by Poland, invaded Poland and thereby started WWII en.wikipedia.org...

Right Now Putin=Hitler

Tyrants always use the same methodology as each other. They copy from one another.

This may = the beginning of WWIII

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:17 PM
link   

My guess would be to prevent another USSR from forming again after the dust settled?

It's the same as saying all nuclear weapons should have been done away with after the Soviet Union collapsed and the Cold War ended. Why do we need them now?

Why NATO's been busy and vigilant making sure the Russkis don't re-form the USSR, the most serious and dangerous threat to our national security in the past 40+ years, on par or in some ways worse than the Cold War, has formed. Look up the world GDP rankings and military spending. We are and have been for a long time now, worrying about the wrong Red Army,

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: peaceinoutz
This may = the beginning of WWIII

You will be correct if Russia decides to take on a NATO member country. That would be a move to kick off WWIII. I just don't see any reason at the moment for them to do so.

Plausible deniability is the play here. Russia does not recognize Ukraine as having the regions and is sending "peacekeeping" troops there. We'll see what happens from here. I think this was a middle-ground for Putin to order troops into Ukraine without losing popularity at home.
edit on 21-2-2022 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:22 PM
link   

We are and have been for a long time now, worrying about the wrong Red Army,

That statement alone is worth an entire thread of its own. China has been very silent on the matter recently. I have not heard a peep from them. We all know that Taiwan is in its sights.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: majesticgent

EXACTLY. They are silent ON PURPOSE.

Why would they lift a finger in this mess?

The best possible outcome for them is a US-Russia conflict.

Does anyone actually believe that aren't plans or scenarios to help this become a reality?

And it's ALL going according to plan.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This isn't an update, but I wonder if what we're seeing today is what Biden meant by a "minor incursion" last month?

Biden predicts Russia 'will move in' to Ukraine, but says 'minor incursion' may prompt discussion over consequences

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:37 PM
link   

EXACTLY. They are silent ON PURPOSE.

Why would they lift a finger in this mess?

To show solidarity with Russia. They will need that backing when it's their turn to "reclaim territory."

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I think you’re right on all points. I really don’t believe, or I don’t want to believe, WWIII is around the corner but you never know with the stupid and immoral leaders on all sides.

Certainly, Putin likely won't bother any NATO country, when he has a vulnerable country like Ukraine to bully.

But the pattern is the same if you study the rudiments of WWII.

Putin, Like Hitler, is ruminating on the past glory of the Soviet Union as Hitler did about Germany in WWI.
A scary analogy, nonetheless.

Add China instead of Japan and you have an almost perfect analogy to WWII to a possible WWIII ( God forbid) scenerio.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Add China instead of Japan and you have an almost perfect analogy to WWII to a possible WWIII ( God forbid) scenerio.

I may be with you if we see China ratchet up the tension with Taiwan again after this... Especially after announcing their solidarity with Russia prior to this.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I may be with you if we see China ratchet up the tension with Taiwan again after this... Especially after announcing their solidarity with Russia prior to this.

Strangely, today, China came out on Twitter not supporting Russia’s invasion threats.
It turns out China has mucho business with Ukraine. And according to this link, there are other reasons for that posiiton.

After strongly supporting Moscow’s standoff with the West over Ukraine, Beijing aligns its position closer to Washington’s

www.wsj.com...

edit on 21-2-2022 by peaceinoutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: peaceinoutz

Makes sense. I just finished watching the UN Security Council meeting and China's UN representative just vied for peace from both sides without blaming anyone. The remark was very short and neutral. One could tell as if the rep was trying his best not to offend.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join