It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS Connecticut has undersea collision

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:
(post by penroc3 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 04:36 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 04:38 PM
link   

(post by penroc3 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 04:42 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 04:43 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 04:44 PM
link   

(post by penroc3 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

I am very sorry you went through that.

We never lost anyone at sea on mission.

After the navy, I did work at a plant where two boilermakers I knew died a horrible death.

And I held my mom’s hand while she was dying of cancer, and my family told her we knew she was tired and it was ok to die. Pride is funny. No matter how bad she was, she always had my aunt help her use the toilet. She never used a diaper.

Yea. I am sorry life is tough. And I do value military service. And sorry I choose to keep my service private on a website, and some how that is offensive?

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: JIMC5499

i thought subs used dead reckoning when they have a map that is very well charted? or is that from the old days when they couldn't use sonar or GPS

They use SINS. The only time they can get GPS is when they are on the surface or shallow enough to raise an antennae. When they get a GPS fix, they update the SINS.

The weapons themselves have radiation shielding. On some subs they sleep on top of the torpedo's. Most weapons are not nuclear unless you are on a missile boat.

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

you can keep your service record private but tell people what you did.

did i ask you about any missions or their details, no.

Everybody and their uncle here is in the military or some other agency and they don't realize people are dying everyday next to their brothers and sisters

And in the light of the conversation what you did in the navy is a valid question.

if you were a cook or if you were a nuclear engineer makes a HUGE difference to the story and the points you are tying to make?

Like i said but was deleted i really don't care who worked where or for who, i am just interested in the info and their stories

you called me a spy, you called me names, you told me i was an idiot and all i did was ask a simple question.

it wasn't until the last page that i was a little nasty towards you, I take stolen valor SUPER serious.

My bestfriend bleedout on my lap as he was crying for his mom.

i was just trying to learn something and you treated me like i was less than you for apparently not understanding you.

thats not a very 'Always Courageous' attitude and certainly one i wouldnt address a fellow ATS'er with and certainly not a fellow vet.

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 05:32 PM
link   

i think i would rather sleep with a nuke.

i dont remember what NOAA sat can see the land mass of Antarctica but that seems like it would be a great sensor to put on aircraft. If it can see past the ice i can surly spot a sub lurking under it.

i know there are some whales like the blue whale that can make vocal calls so loud it can be picked up on the otherside of the world.

i keep waiting to see pictures of the Connecticut to see what it hit, and oh boy if it looks like it hit something squishy i can already hear the calls of a new cryptid.

that being said the fact it was in the south China sea is concerning.

Could you make a sonar device that was spread out like a SAR but with SONAR? it seem like they could just keep the sea 'illuminated' with pings from surface ships to see if any thing was trying to sneak by.

it would also be cool if China came up with some sort of simi solid USO, that way if it was on sonar it would just look like a fish or whale...

posted on Oct, 15 2021 @ 05:40 PM
link   

If I don’t serve. Why would I scrutinize what I was posting, be mindful what I was posting, and scrutinizing of who was asking what.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Ground penetrating radar. Shame it doesn't work that well in water.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   

that's a lot of work holy cow.

i thought they just flew a sat over it and used SAR or something similar to see past the ice.

all i can see in my head a freezing cold guy with a pocket full of shotgun blanks standing on that stand they use in the middle of Antarctica

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The radar is in the satellite. Ground penetration radar is a variant of Synthetic Aperture Radar.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   

you know that scene in Jurassic park where they 'thump' the ground so the equipment can pick up the fossils, that's what i thought you were talking about.

did they ever dig up that huge magnetic anomaly? i think it was claimed to be a huge asteroid.

some of those SAR satellites are HUGE and if i understood what i was being told it sounds like they are using constellations of SAR satellites to get better resolution

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Back on topic. According to Chinese report on the incident, the sub was operating in a denial area close to Xisha islands when it collided with one of the many underwater structures belonging to a new offshore oil rig.

The oil rig was damaged months ago due to deep eddies, which are common south of Hainan island. The Chinese report that the area is a deathtrap due to those eddies, which are created by deep water blowing across the sea floor.

The exact area of the incident, according to Russian sources, is Area 3158, known as the Xisha Trough.

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Direne

so it hit a oil rig?

that seem highly improbable, to me atleast.

ill hold my judgment until they show us the boat.

i have always wondered why they dont make fish like USO's, make a squishy body that swims like a large animal but instead it is a robot loaded with sensors

posted on Oct, 16 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   

It's not an oil rig, but some big structures that detached from the platform recently. At least that is what the Chinese say. It maybe intentional structures left there by the Chinese in order to prevent subs to navigate the area.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join