It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 11 October 05 Debut

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I have windows gaming rig and various older systems, for gaming or things in forced to use windows for… but have not liked any system since 7

I daily drive Mac laptops and reboot once or twice a year… maybe. Love the stability. Bought my wife a M1 and it is rock solid, sips resources, and blazing fast. It’s quite amazing.

I’ve played with several Linux distros and like the OS but don’t like using Linux apps vs Mac apps. I actually like to use Linux to partition/format my windows systems.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: Gothmog

im guessing cortana will take a good 1-2Tbs in the new Windows

Who uses Cortana ?
It uses little to no resources.

Actually it can use up to a gig of ram and it will slow down games huge... depending on usage

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze
I daily drive Mac laptops and reboot once or twice a year… maybe. Love the stability. Bought my wife a M1 and it is rock solid, sips resources, and blazing fast. It’s quite amazing.

I only reboot my Windows 10 home computer because of the updates, otherwise it's always on, and has been since I bought it, 13 years ago.

My boss does the same with her Windows 10 work computer.

From my personal experience, stability depends on a great part on the hardware and drivers, followed by third party software stability.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Who uses Cortana ?

Actually it can use up to a gig of ram and it will slow down games huge... depending on usage

Never , ever , seen that ,

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Windows 11 is such a disaster it should be dubbed Windows 9-11.

The amount of performance hogging crap in this so-called OS is staggering.

You can remove some of the bloatware using 3rd party tools, such as Windows Debloater, found here:
github.com...
(Works with Windows 9-11 too)

And if you are still using old mechanical drives, you probably noticed how your HDD is getting raped when you start up the OS. Here is a video demonstrating how to fix that:

This is also true for users with SSD drives.

Also if you are not a gamer, dont miss
distrowatch.com...
All the latest Linux distributions. Mint recommended.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Who uses Cortana ?

Never , ever , seen that ,

yup... sucks the life from your cpu... the more you use it the worse it gets

figured that out like a year after starting with Win 10 using cortana freestyle...

turned it off... everything got better

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

My son’s gaming laptop needs restarting several times a week. Our desktop needs rebooted almost daily.

Same computer with Linux never needs restarted and feels twice as fast subjectively.

I’ve never seen a computer with windows as stable as you claim.

So mondo cuddos for knowing how to eliminate all the problems plaguing most windows systems. I know such masters exist tweaking there systems.

I humbly bow to your windows mastery. :bow:

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

I only reboot my Windows 10 home computer because of the updates, otherwise it's always on, and has been since I bought it, 13 years ago.

My boss does the same with her Windows 10 work computer.

From my personal experience, stability depends on a great part on the hardware and drivers, followed by third party software stability.

Don't forget maintenance for those better parts -- such as keeping it dust-free at the vents, replacing any fans with wear, and re-application of the thermal paste to the CPU. It's a bit of a pain in the butt for some tower/laptop housing designs for people to get to the CPU, but after that's tackled, it's a simple task of remove old paste, clean, reapply, reassemble.

The problem (and I think by industry design, disposable goods & all) is most people have no idea this really IS a critical thing to keep up on. The paste does dry out after a while, and when that's dried out, it's no good for heat dissipation anymore, and hello overheating and slowdown issues.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

I didn't tweak it much, I only disable the services I don't need. And I always choose stable hardware. The first computer I had that never needed to be rebooted was one I made myself in which I installed Windows 2000 Server (originally it had Windows 95, so you can see this was many years ago). That computer was so stable that I was able to add and remove the network card with the computer on without any problems.

One thing I didn't mention is that my computers are all desktop towers, as I prefer that format. Some years ago I even saw a CPU maker's (I think it was AMD) guide for CPU use and they didn't recommend using the CPU on "horizontal" towers (I don't know what to call them), as those did not have enough air circulation to cool the CPU.

PS: in all these years I never tried a Windows/Linux dual boot system, as I never find a need for Linux strong enough to install a dual boot system instead of just using a virtual machine when I need access to a Linux system.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I don’t dual boot.

I put Linux on a separate hard disk then change the startup order in the bios.

This way there is never a conflict.

Linux never locks up or needs restart.

Never had your luck with windows system. They all need rebooting weekly or more often.

My most stable window system was oddly enough a Windows Vista Dell very high end laptop. Only had to restart it a couple times a month. I find this highly ironic as almost everyone hated Vista and had problems.

Only problem I had was when I was hospitalized the VA lowered the bed and crushed my laptop which they had put underneath. They paid it out and I bought Mac laptops from thereon until I bought this Gaming laptop for my son.

All my macs almost never need rebooting.

edit on 13-10-2021 by pianopraze because: Corrected dial to dual. Autocorrect fun.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I don’t dual boot.

I put Linux on a separate hard disk then change the startup order in the bios.

This way there is never a conflict.

That's better, but I can't do it, as I don't have any free space for more disks on my computer.

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 05:56 PM
link   
HAH!

I was just going to start a thread on this as I just got a blurb on my update page to check if I am compatible.
Knowing me, you probably guessed I have not downloaded that app yet

Heck, I've only had Win10 for 2 years and 10 months LOLOL

Since I did a BIOS update this summer on Dell, I have to assume I am good with that aspect.

What kind of right click mouse stuff are you talking about?
It is faster?
Will I have to change anything on my desktop?
Is StartUp sidebar basically the same?
What other things do I need or want to know....as I am not a person usually eager to try something THIS new.

www.cnet.com...

If you're not in a rush, the Windows 11 update will be pushed to your device at some point in the coming months when Microsoft's data indicates the upgrade is ready for that device. When the new OS is available to you, the upgrade process will feel similar to a normal Windows 10 update, as long as your device is compatible and meets the minimum requirements needed. (And even if it doesn't, Microsoft will offer a workaround, but in that case your Windows 11 installation won't be supported by the company.)

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide
Yeah, that really made me feel all warm and fuzzy about updated to 11!!!!!

NOT!!!!!

I did head over the my M$ account, and it kicked me too, and what an ugly page it was at first.
It did allow me to log in.....

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Right click stuff : Right click now just has basics. Copy , Paste , Cut , are now icons on the right-click pop=up screen .

The BIOS part is easy . TPM 2.0 enabled WITHOUT disk encryption is nothing .

Windows 11 does provide a performance increase . There is more on the way .So far , nothing has changed on my desktop . However , you now can have the Start Button in the center , instead of that awful left hand corner .

Windows 11 has a learning curve , but the process is quick .

edit on 10/18/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 08:21 PM
link   

thanks!!!!

I really find icons useless.
Seem old school. Never liked them.
Ever.

The rest is good, especially the new Start Button feature.

Will wait for the "more on the way"

ETA
I hope you keep bus posted on the on the way stuff

edit on Mon Oct 18 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I really find icons useless. Seem old school. Never liked them. Ever.

Yeah . That was one of my Cons.
For some reason I do not look for those as icons , even though they are there .
I liked the text better .

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 09:30 PM
link   

It's very bad.
It's not in a good spot.
Counterproductive for commands that are used often.
It would actually make me put off doing the upgrade.

posted on Oct, 18 2021 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

It's very bad.
It's not in a good spot.
Counterproductive for commands that are used often.
It would actually make me put off doing the upgrade.

I've chosen to disregard.
Ctrl-C Ctrl-V Ctrl-X , etc.

But there is a growing movement within the Insider Program to bring back in the old style .
edit on 10/18/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 05:30 AM
link   
A week in and I've largely adapted to Win 11.

There are only two issues still of note: The upgrade left me with some RealTek audio problems ( volume levels are not consistent from app to app and some apps/games produce a crackle in my right headphone speaker - and it's not the headphones themselves as I have tried three pairs of headphones, all relatively high end and two that I bought to keep as back-ups/spares so they're brand new ).

The other issue should be patched today I believe - and that is a known bug that causes AMD CPU's to lose a fair bit of performance in Win 11.

Aside from the technical woes, I am struggling to adapt to the loss of live tiles. I recognize that this is probably a very uncommon gripe as I understand most people disliked them - but having previously used Gnome Linux, I loved them. Being able to click Start to bring up a customized screen of all of my most used apps for easy access was a convenience I did enjoy. Sure, Win 11 allows for this to a degree with the "pinned" feature... But where I used to be able to bring up maybe 70 or 80 apps on screen with a single click - now it's far fewer and to see more I have to scroll. The extra steps aren't a huge issue but extra steps are extra steps.

At least I have gotten things mostly back to the way I like them ( wallpaper, desktop customization ) and have learned to ignore how big the taskbar is. Overall it's not as bad as I initially thought but I am still getting used to it.

posted on Oct, 19 2021 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

A week in and I've largely adapted to Win 11.

There are only two issues still of note: The upgrade left me with some RealTek audio problems ( volume levels are not consistent from app to app and some apps/games produce a crackle in my right headphone speaker - and it's not the headphones themselves as I have tried three pairs of headphones, all relatively high end and two that I bought to keep as back-ups/spares so they're brand new ).

The other issue should be patched today I believe - and that is a known bug that causes AMD CPU's to lose a fair bit of performance in Win 11.

Aside from the technical woes, I am struggling to adapt to the loss of live tiles. I recognize that this is probably a very uncommon gripe as I understand most people disliked them - but having previously used Gnome Linux, I loved them. Being able to click Start to bring up a customized screen of all of my most used apps for easy access was a convenience I did enjoy. Sure, Win 11 allows for this to a degree with the "pinned" feature... But where I used to be able to bring up maybe 70 or 80 apps on screen with a single click - now it's far fewer and to see more I have to scroll. The extra steps aren't a huge issue but extra steps are extra steps.

At least I have gotten things mostly back to the way I like them ( wallpaper, desktop customization ) and have learned to ignore how big the taskbar is. Overall it's not as bad as I initially thought but I am still getting used to it.

Fellow sufferer here.
1) Try the old Realtek drivers for the audio problems .
2) The AMD issue should be fixed . On my system , the latest build brought back a huge increase in performance (Strange , my Threadripper system never had the issue)
3) Try right - click > pin to start .
edit on 10/19/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join