It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 11 October 05 Debut

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

im guessing cortana will take a good 1-2Tbs in the new Windows

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: oweyoueightone2

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: oweyoueightone2
There's a pretty easy way to get it to install on old hardware. I'm running windows 11 on a 2009 core 2 duo gateway laptop with 8 gigs of ram. Fresh install. It runs very well.

I know what you are talking about...

NO , just NO.

I have no idea what you're talking about. It runs fine with an SSD, better than it did new. You must be one of those people who throws away good money on the latest and greatest.

You funny .
I thought you were speaking of the "bootleg" copy of Windows 11 that did not have the "requirements" that the Microsoft version had .

SSD ?
Who does SATA architecture these days ?

NVME m.2 PCIE 4x4

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

im guessing cortana will take a good 1-2Tbs in the new Windows

Who uses Cortana ?
It uses little to no resources.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

originally posted by: billxam
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I have no option to check for win 11 on any of my computers. As far as Windows 10 goes, it's the best, most stable OS I've ever used.

My concern with the direct storage scheme is the wear on the SSD. Myself, I have every app and program offloaded to a memory chip, videos, documents, downloads, pictures, apps and installed programs and let me tell you everything loads so fast it's amazing.

Check the maximum TBW from the manufacturers site.
Run CrystalDiskInfo to see the remaining percentage of writes left .
Research the term "over-provisioning" an SSD drive .

I know the story exists that SSD's wear out quicker than an HDD, but has anyone ever worn out an SSD, step forward now please

the ones I have now have 3000 or so TBW .
I have used 8% of that in 18 months.
So , no .
And the MTBF is an amazing amount of hours.
I will get bored of them and they will be replaced LONG before they wear out or fail .
edit on 10/4/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Adobe is the obvious high offender here.

Tell me about it! I still use Adobe Photo Deluxe 2.0 (created for Windows 95), and Adobe Photoshop CS2. I type this from my Windows XP computer. My other computer upstairs still runs Windows 98 - best Windows operating system ever, in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Dont touch it for a few months, wait for the first service pack, or major update and see what folks are saying.

Remember, a fresh clean install of ANY operating system is best compared to an upgrade, especially if youve been using it for a while...AND do not upgrade to it if you have upgraded the OS before.

Source: 19 years in IT dealing with OS deployments on Health sites.

We had the same philosophy when I worked in IT. Never jump in, wait for the first service pack.. sound advice !

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: GreenGunther

I checked a couple out earlier. Aiomi ( I think, or close to it ) and a tool from Partition Magic called "minitool" ( again, I think ).

Both were around $50 and at that price I'd just as soon reformat and reinstall. My games save states have value to me but not at that level.

This is why all my games are installed on a separate drive, and anything that needs to be on the system drive, I just create symlinks to the external drive. A clean reinstall, then anything that needs to be installed I just recreate the same symlinks after, and it's as if nothing was lost.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: jerich0

All I will say, is this is a forced update I will break my machine.

Everything I've heard about 11 is horrid. Too much.

But we shall see.. I may get the iso and test it in a vm, but I won't be using it over my current 10 os.

took me too long to fix all the # they got wrong with 10 in the first place.. :/

Not a forced update .
Microsoft will support Windows 10 up to sometime in 2025

Good to know, I just remember how 10 used to get major updates. Inavdertantly need to reboot your machine, and you get that god awful "Windows is preparing to update..." and ugh, 2 hours later...

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: jerich0

All I will say, is this is a forced update I will break my machine.

Everything I've heard about 11 is horrid. Too much.

But we shall see.. I may get the iso and test it in a vm, but I won't be using it over my current 10 os.

took me too long to fix all the # they got wrong with 10 in the first place.. :/

10 didn't have an "Insider" program until almost a year later.

?

10 out of the box had a bunk load of issues. I never mention the insider program.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:04 PM
link   
So ... Microsoft is giving it away for free.

Why?

People will be sheeple.

It is not free so work out what they are getting from it.

P

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

I was a fan of Win98, but I think XP was the first version that wasn’t just a GUI shell on top of DOS. I do recall an OS for PC (the name long escapes me) that was 16 shades of grayscale so the whole OS fit on a single bootable floppy from which you installed it. Wasn’t a flavor of UNIX either if I remember correctly.

But for me the best OS was OS 9 on the old Macs. Which if you added drivers for the touchscreen and cell phone functions could run on all the iDevices that use iOS today. System 7.6 would probably work as well. Wasn’t anything I couldn’t do with a good PowerMac. Even added a P2 on a PCI daughter card and had it running OS 9 and Win 98 with various peripherals on a SCSI chain instead of parallel ports. Called it the FrankenMac. I could get the developer copy of OS X to run but not the full version.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 10:21 AM
link   

SSD ?

Those that do not have enough money to buy a new computer.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

I do have my games on separate drives ( two large storage drives ) - but many ( if not most ) games default to storing save states, mods, config files etc on the C: drive.

If/when I find myself forced to do a wipe and full reinstall, which is looking more and more likely to happen, the hard part will be tracking down all of these various folders/files and copying them to an external drive or USB - and then putting them back into the fresh install in the exact file structure they'd previously lived in.

In general and not in response to your post: I have already tried all the tips and tricks mentioned in regard to changing the partition table and, alas, so far nothing has worked. I imagine that manually editing my boot table is worth a shot - but that will be a last ditch thing I do only when I'm resolved to having to wipe the drive anyway ( in case I bork something while editing ).

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Have you tried Testdisk? It has helped me in some occasions.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   

It's not bootleg. It's using the official windows 11 image directly from the microsoft insider program. You clearly don't understand.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

SSD ?

Those that do not have enough money to buy a new computer.

Or those with enough money but would prefer to not waste it on just a moderate performance boost.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:41 PM
link   
According to the PC Health Check :

The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11

My processor : Intel Corei7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz.

A 3 year old Alienware PC won't support W11....

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

The spyware/malware that's baked in will need some time to be analyzed. M$ lied continuously about this with W10 and I have zero faith in anything they say. Winaero Tweaker (freeware) let's me kill much of it and actually disable windows updates which I need for some systems.

That said, I do like some of the features. I just wish upgrading wasn't such a risk and/or trade off. Back in the day a new OS was a big deal and everyone looked forward to it because IT was still the product not YOU as it is today.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: TonyS
Much of what you refer to as "update sabotage" has to do with a combination of hardware resources and software issues on the computer being updated. That's not to say Microsoft has never screwed up their updates. A quick google search will verify that, but most of the time what I find in the field has more to do with the individual computer (and end user) than it does the updates being installed, and not because it's 3+ years old.

The problem is 100% Microsoft by not giving users a choice to update and circumventing every easy method of disabling it. Get real, they hide behind security but it's all about implementing spyware to make money off users and pry into their usage.

posted on Oct, 12 2021 @ 02:20 AM
link   
What a fun late night / early morning I've had...

Windows 10 wanted to update around 9 or 10 last night and I didn't think twice about allowing it to do so. The update installed. I rebooted. Things seemed fine... Except for a new addition to my settings and notifications - a nice, bright red message saying that my PC was not able to install Windows 11 with a link to the PC health check tool beneath it.

I did not think much of it until I tried to open my Xbox Game Pass app only to discover that I was signed out of it and the sign in icon was grayed out. I could not click it. I could not log in.

Soon after I discovered that my Microsoft Store app and my online Microsoft account, in general ( trying to log in through multiple browsers ) were also soft locked and not letting me log in.

After about an hour of trying to troubleshoot and repair the issue, exhausting all options that I knew and all the suggestions Google could toss at me, I bit the bullet and downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool and created a Windows 11 installation USB.

I guess the good news is that my EUFI settings are now all totally in line with Windows 11's demands and my struggle with the broken boot sector is no longer an issue. My C: drive is now absolutely partitioned correctly and in the format type Windows 11 insisted upon ( GPT ).

The bad news is that now I'm scrambling to try and get my PC back to something resembling a comfortably useful state.

The worse news is that, so far, I am not at all enjoying the Windows 11 experience. Any OS that makes you alter the registry just to get the giant taskbar to be a bit smaller is a problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join