It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 11 October 05 Debut

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Well , tomorrow , Microsoft releases Windows 11 to the general public .Those of us on the Insider Program have been testing this for some time .
Windows 10 had a fairly good performance lift from the earlier 7 , 8.0 , and 8.1 . However , Windows 11 has attained a good performance boost over Windows 10 .

Pros :
1) Performance (I can't wait for Microsoft to add Direct Storage) .
2) Sleek looking style .
3) Added capabilities and Apps.
4) Microsoft Store MUCH improved .
5) HAGS keeps getting better somehow .
6) Personally , very , very few problems . (this on the Dev Preview)
7) It's free to licensed Window owners .
8) It is not mandatory .

Cons :
1) Stuff has been moved , especially on the right-click menus . (moved to a More Options menu)
2) Don't know if I like the new "Widgets" . (that is just me)
3) It will not be available for everyone at the same time . Microsoft is starting with the newer devices first.
4) As of now , Windows 11 will not install on systems that do not have TPM 2.0 enabled in BIOS .(TPM 2.0 came out in Oct 2014)

Over to the group and out for a while .

edit on 10/4/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I have to wonder, why, a consumer looking to buy a computer, would even consider a Windows system? They basically expire due to update sabatoge after about 3 years. The only person I know of who is happy with the Windows environment does it through Dell with a service contract that has Dell technicians manage the updates. Otherwise, the Windows system seems useuful only to the business environment which can afford an IT department who can manage the dodgy updates.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I have to wonder, why, a consumer looking to buy a computer, would even consider a Windows system? They basically expire due to update sabatoge after about 3 years. The only person I know of who is happy with the Windows environment does it through Dell with a service contract that has Dell technicians manage the updates. Otherwise, the Windows system seems useuful only to the business environment which can afford an IT department who can manage the dodgy updates.

Know how long Windows 10 has been around ?
Want to rethink that ?
(July 29th , 2015)

There is no other OS geared more to the consumer.
If you think so , name it.
I will lay it to rest .
(I have certifications in most of the OS'es .)
That is besides OS/2 Warp and Apple .
edit on 10/4/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 08:22 AM
link   

hhmmm. I was actually planning on reinstalling Windows 10 today. For several months, it has failed every attempt to update. I've been putting it off but was finally going to reinstall it today.

I was looking it up to see what TPM 2.0 is. I haven't checked yet, but I probably don't have it. Anyways, I found this, which some may find helpful.

How to know if you have TPM

There are two easy ways to check right from Windows whether or not TPM 2.0 is enabled.
PC Health Check

Head to your Start Menu and type in "PC Health Check." There should be an application by that name that you can boot up, which you can use to see if your PC is ready for Windows 11.

If you get the dreaded red X, click through to the results to see what's missing........ so that you know which requirements are unfulfilled, whether it's Secure Boot, TPM 2.0, your processor, RAM, or hard drive space.

www.gamespot.com...

eta: I still haven't checked yet, but I just realized I probably don't even have that↑ application. It was probably a part of one of the recent updates which my computer failed to complete.
edit on 10/4/21 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Lots of things in the Computer World need to go like “Subscription-ware” where you don’t own the software you rent it yearly with “free upgrades” to the new version. Adobe is the obvious high offender here. Problem being is that you can still use old versions for years on older machines. This forces hardware upgrades along with a rolling subscription faster than starting small businesses (or individuals) can afford.

Think small gaming groups. GIMP and Blender will get you pretty far graphically and on older equipment. Not an option with Adobe. Myself, I always liked FileMaker for quick databases. Made a character generator back in the days of D&D 3.0 that clicking boxes would manipulate scores automatically. Great for compiling data from survey forms as well.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Is it free to licenced users of any of the windows releases or just 10?

I for example never upgraded from 7, but would be willing to try 11 if it's free.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Hopefully the performance tweaks help out, I've got minor gripes even on a new Asus laptop about that one.

originally posted by: TonyS

Dude, you must be doing it wrong then, because both my last desktop & laptop (both HPs) lasted me 12 years running on Windows. Just replaced both this year. So...yeah, operator error?

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   

All I will say, is this is a forced update I will break my machine.

Everything I've heard about 11 is horrid. Too much.

But we shall see.. I may get the iso and test it in a vm, but I won't be using it over my current 10 os.

took me too long to fix all the # they got wrong with 10 in the first place.. :/

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Dont touch it for a few months, wait for the first service pack, or major update and see what folks are saying.

Remember, a fresh clean install of ANY operating system is best compared to an upgrade, especially if youve been using it for a while...AND do not upgrade to it if you have upgraded the OS before.

Source: 19 years in IT dealing with OS deployments on Health sites.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
you won't be able to get it unless you are vaxed

hahahahaha

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS
Much of what you refer to as "update sabotage" has to do with a combination of hardware resources and software issues on the computer being updated. That's not to say Microsoft has never screwed up their updates. A quick google search will verify that, but most of the time what I find in the field has more to do with the individual computer (and end user) than it does the updates being installed, and not because it's 3+ years old.

edit on 10/4/2021 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   
There's a pretty easy way to get it to install on old hardware. I'm running windows 11 on a 2009 core 2 duo gateway laptop with 8 gigs of ram. Fresh install. It runs very well.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I tried a bunch of different workarounds that didn't work. This video helped me www.youtube.com...

The part at the 10 minute mark worked for me on the insider preview. No TPM 2.0 nor UEFI required.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I have no option to check for win 11 on any of my computers. As far as Windows 10 goes, it's the best, most stable OS I've ever used.

My concern with the direct storage scheme is the wear on the SSD. Myself, I have every app and program offloaded to a memory chip, videos, documents, downloads, pictures, apps and installed programs and let me tell you everything loads so fast it's amazing.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   
There is a script doing the rounds in which will allow the user to bypass the TPM 2.0 requirements, although this is at the expense of future updates. Beyond that, apart from tweaks here and there and a slight change to the UI, Win 11 is much as you are from Microsoft.

Long live LINUX

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I opened this thread an hour or two ago and wrote out a lengthy reply about how Windows 11 vexes me because a couple of years back, when I built this PC, I made a mindless decision to create the partitions as MBR instead of GPT. I can't say why I did this. Maybe it was the first / default option? Maybe I subconsciously picked MBR because I'm old and was more familiar with using it. Either way - my drives are set to MBR.

A lesser and now fixed issue was the UEFI thing. Wasn't a difficult fix but it was more complicated than tech sites and techtubers implied. Took changing several settings in my BIOS to finally get it booting.

But I backed out of that post because I wanted to check to make sure that Windows 11 still requires GPT partitioning for install. It appears to be so.

My next step was to then check to see if any free tools exist to change a partition table from MRB to GPT without data loss. I expect somebody may reply that data loss isn't the worst possible thing and that I could take an hour or two to backup everything on my C: drive that I want to keep and then do a full reformat/reinstall with the proper ( GPT ) partition table.

Truth is I've got hundreds of games on this thing and the idea of finding, copying, saving and then reinserting all of them into the proper folders isn't something I am motivated to do just to be prepared for an upgrade that might come tomorrow, or next month, or mid next year...

Turns out there is a tool baked into all Windows 10 builds from 1903 onward called mbr2gpt.exe. Fantastic!

The reason a couple of hours have passed... That tool is borked on my PC. I cloned my C: drive a few months back, swapping from one NVME to a faster and larger one - and it broke my boot configuration data. Mbr2gpt throws off an unrecoverable error.

Full wipe and reinstall are going to be necessary.

And with that my enthusiasm for upgrading has waned significantly.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Could be, if I were the only one having the problem, but the same thing has been reported to me by many friends and neighbors who have throwin in the towel on Windows.. The rich to to Apple and the poor go to Chrome.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Not much of a general user yourself then?

Just kidding, love your posts.
Personally I believe OSX is more geared towards the average consumer simply for 'user-friendlyness'.
Windows 10 was okay, preferred 7 and XP by far though.

I to have the certs and what not, but honestly, if you can't repair a registry from a failed update in Win10 that left the system unbootable, I do not trust you.

Switched to Arch Linux about a month ago as my daily. Probably never going back. I'm not the average consumer... but Windows and how sad the revisions were after 7 was a disgrace. The amount of borked win10 install I've repaired tells me that no, win 10 sucked.
The problems I had with Windows 8 and 8.1 gave me PTSD...

I suspect it's mainly down to hardware though, slow systems seemed to always fare the worst.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide
I have recovery software that can convert MBR to GPT and vice versa.
It's paid for but also not to expensive?
I'd trust that over mbr2gpt any day...
edit on 4-10-2021 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Here is a pretty good summation from somebody who is very knowledgeable about computers:

Watching his videos over the years has really helped me improve my building and repairing laptops and desktops.
YMMV...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join