It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My latest rating list for TV shows based on which shows I want to see more episodes of.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: coamanach

I saw the first episode of SHIELD, looked a bit too cheap to me at the time. But I've lowered my standards since then, now it's in my list of shows still to watch, but after the more expensive superhero shows, like:

Peacemaker (not out yet, but it has 2 Stargate Atlantis actors in there, one is one of my favorite guest stars, Halling)
The Defenders (follows Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist; also Netflix: The Punisher)
Legends of Tomorrow (Spun-off from Arrow and The Flash; crossovers with Supergirl, Freedom Fighters: The Ray, Batwoman, Vixen; also DC: Doom Patrol, Black Lightning, Stargirl, Gotham, Smallville, Constantine)
Titans
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (also ABC: Agent Carter, Inhumans; other Marvel series: Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, Helstrom)

Haven't decided yet if I want to watch all the other related shows yet, just enough for the background and crossovers perhaps.

I'm now watching Vikings (the Korean show is not really my thing, it's also more for the Asian market). Rated Vikings at 8, after making some minor adjustments like changing The Last Kingdom from 8.4 to 8.1, cause they're very similar. I'm somewhere in season 2 now and I'm beginning to think that they can move it along a little quicker (I'm noticing that I'm beginning to skip more and more, don't really care what is happening with Lagertha and Queen Aslaug, or the scenes with the Seer), perhaps even increase the size of battles and armies and mention some numbers (so far the biggest battle I've seen was about a 100 vs 100, the battle with Jarl Borg vs King Horik; the 2nd battle with Jarl Borg vs Ragnar was about the same, and no tactics or numbers were discussed). I do like that they show the skirmishes though, just hoping it will lead to something bigger, more epic (Braveheart/Game of Thrones style, thousands rather than hundreds or dozens). Just checked, I'm at episode 5 in season 2.
edit on 21-9-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1
I didn't even need to look at your name to know you were a woman. Supernatural = chickflick. (I don't know the term if it's a show)

It would be the same if you had said Charmed, or True Blood. I've actually seen quite a lot of Charmed because of my ex. I did watch the pilot of Supernatural though, but that only confirmed my expectation (that was around the same time I wacthed the pilot for SHIELD; see previous comment). I may still give Supernatural a try at some point, but I still got a lot more shows to watch first that are a little more unisex. The old-fashioned Sci Fi shows predominantly targeting a male audience aren't really around anymore anyway.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: EndtheMadnessNow
Check-out The 100

"Juvenile delinquents" (quoting IMDB), sounds edgy:

I think I'm gonna have to agree with the Stargate team at 3:06 below (which is after the scene above, this time in context):

Besides, I prefer my Sci-Fi to have spaceships, not a survival show like Terra Nova (I was actually thinking of an older show with a similar name and the idea of colonists on a new planet, a show that was around when Star Trek DS9, Babylon 5 and Space: Above and Beyond were just finishing or had just finished, also something I never watched if you've got those kind of choices; I remember my dad watching it along with Seaquest DSV, of neither show I could understand his attraction towards it). A colonist survival show is also a lot cheaper than showing spaceships and spacebattles, and I do like my eye-candy. I'm a little spoiled with Stargate Atlantis and the huge spacefleet battles in Babylon 5 and DS9 (and the latter seasons of Stargate SG1).

I felt the same way as this guy in Stargate Atlantis yelling "spaceships!" at 0:16 upon his discovery of the jumpers (that immediately set the tone for the show, this one was going to be more about space and spaceships; it's actually what made me start watching Stargate SG1 and realize what I had missed all these years, preferring ST DS9, Babylon 5 and Space: Above and Beyond at the time, thinking Stargate wasn't going to be that great, boy was I wrong):

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Well I like Chicago PD,Chicago Fire,Blacklist,Big Sky,
Debris but they took it off.I like several that are on
your list and some I have on DVD's.
I also like Gunsmoke,Rawhide,Wagon Train,Rifleman,
Laramie,Twilight Zone,Alfred Hitchcock Hour,Honeymooners,
Highway Patrol,Chips,Barney Miller,Gimme A Break,Benson,
3 Stooges,Svengoolie,Star Trek,The Invaders,Bugs Bunny,
Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood,Nature Cat,Escape To The Chateau,
PBR Bull riding,MMA fights and many others.

posted on Sep, 21 2021 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl
That, but more alarming...

No 'Breaking Bad'???

I see someone else also pointed the glaring omission of Justified...

I'll also mention Jericho ...
... Dexter was awesome,...

What can I say, I'm not that into contemporary realism. If you look at my list, there are no shows in there that are completely contemporary realism. The closest are Ash vs Evil Dead, TWD and FTWD, which have a heavy fantasy element to them (monster-fantasy, not so much magic fantasy). And all 3 are quite low in my list (Ash was kinda funny). Contemporary realism is also quite cheap to do (see previous comment where I was talking about eye-candy). I have an expensive taste.

Sitcoms I just watch on TV when they're on, which is all the time, endless re-runs. Haven't really rated them, nor do I look them up online.

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
a reply to: coamanach
I'm now watching Vikings ... I'm somewhere in season 2 now and I'm beginning to think that they can move it along a little quicker ..., perhaps even increase the size of battles and armies and mention some numbers (so far the biggest battle I've seen was about a 100 vs 100, the battle with Jarl Borg vs King Horik; the 2nd battle with Jarl Borg vs Ragnar was about the same, and no tactics or numbers were discussed). I do like that they show the skirmishes though, just hoping it will lead to something bigger, more epic (Braveheart/Game of Thrones style, thousands rather than hundreds or dozens). ...

Having another look at wikipedia concerning that time, I guess the numbers are fairly realistic. The battles were small at that time. In that case, they just picked the wrong timeperiod to depict (numbers are not really given on wikipedia concerning this time period). In 865 AD (show runs till about 820 AD) The Great Heathen Army also known as the Viking Great Army invaded England with about a 1000 men (low estimates) or "thousands" ("higher estimates"). From wiki:

Sawyer produced a table of Viking ship numbers, as documented in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, and assumes that each Viking ship could carry no more than 32 men leading to his conclusion that the army would have consisted of no more than 1,000 men. Other scholars give higher estimates. For example, Laurent Mazet-Harhoff observes that many thousands of men were involved in the invasions of the Seine area. However, Mazet-Harhoff does say that the military bases that would accommodate these large armies have yet to be rediscovered. Guy Halsall reported that, in the 1990s, several historians suggested that the Great Heathen Army would have numbered in the low thousands; however, Halsall advises that there "clearly is still much room for debate".

Source: Great Heathen Army - Wikipedia

Ah well, perhaps I'm already getting what I was hoping for, in S2E8 I counted 16 ships, with an average of 25-30 men per ship, that's 400-480 men. A pretty sizeable force, if this time they actually all make it to England. edit: they made it.

Aha, S2E9, now we're talking. Wow, and cavalry too.
edit on 22-9-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Well I like Chicago PD,Chicago Fire,Blacklist,

Now I'm ashamed... I forgot my other favorite - right up there with TWD and Breaking Bad...

The Blacklist is fantastic! I put off watching it for many years because I just knew I'd hate it... who knew...

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Updated list after I got done watching Vikings S4E18, where they more or less skipped the battle with The Great Army, taking a page from Game of Thrones cheaping out on the first battle with the whitewalkers at the Fist of the First Men, after spending so much time leading up to that and hanging that prospect before your eyes only to then snatch it away between seasons (at least they didn't do it between seasons in Vikings). Rather annoying, as well as spending the last 5 minutes on the torture of King Aelle, oh, great trade-off there man, for you not wanting to spend some bucks and screwing over your audience (Vikings rating went down and down with each episode for me, and with it The Last Kingdom cause they're still similar, it moved up for me with 0.2 for the Paris siege battles, which I had to wait rather long for before that got going, but it was done rather well, reminiscent of the siege of King's Landing, perhaps even better or more realistic). Ah well, at least they showed the size of the army.

Stargate SG-1 (9)
Stargate Atlantis (8.9)
Babylon 5 (8.8)
Star Trek DS9 (8.7)
Picard (8.6)*
The Expanse (8.5)*
Game of Thrones (8.5; ignoring the last season, this rating is based on some mixture between desire for new episodes and entertainment value of what is currently already available)
Stargate Universe (8.5) (purely desire)
The Mandalorian (8.4)*
Loki (8.4)*
See (8.3)*
The Witcher (8.2)*
What If...? (8.1)*
ST TNG (8.1)
Blackadder (8.1)
Band of Brothers (8)
Space: Above and Beyond (8)
Firefly (8)
Hornblower (8)
WandaVision (7.9)
Hatfields & McCoys (7.9)
The Dark Crystal (7.8)
ST Voyager and Enterprise (7.8)
Farscape (7.7)
The old BSG (7.6)
Vikings (7.5)
Deadwood (7.5)
Lost (7.5)
Heroes (7.5)
The Boys (7.4)*
ST Discovery (7.3)*
The Last Kingdom (7.3)*
The Orville (7.2)*
Krypton (7.2)
Lost in Space (7.1)*
His Dark Materials (7)*
Dark Matter (6.9)
Rome (6.8)
Black Sails (6.7)
Ash vs Evil Dead (6.6)
Doctor Who (6.5)*
Andromeda (6.1)
Stranger Things (6)*
TWD (5)*
Falling Skies (4.9)
Merlin (4.8)
FTWD (4)*
The new BSG (4) (this is not its true rating, I think I explained before that this is to reflect my disappointment with the script and cheap tricks such as human cylons, even the glowy brain cylons in the old BSG would have been better, those were fun to watch as a kid)

Glowy brain cylon at 1:33:

Not as cool as the warrior cylons, but still decent and better than human cylons (that's sooo cheap and lame).

edit: ok, the next episode redeems Vikings quite a bit, +0.4, it's now better than The Last Kingdom; adjustment made in the list.
edit on 1-10-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   

The very popular 90s Sci-fi tv series, "Babylon 5" a 5-year story is getting a reboot under its original producer and creator, J. Michael Straczynski.

The beloved Babylon 5 is getting rebooted, and series creator JMS is running the show

I was excited until I read this part by the creator...

How can it be used to reflect the world in which we live, and the questions we are asking and confronting every day? Fans regularly point out how prescient the show was and is of our current world; it would be fun to take a shot at looking further down the road. So we will not be retelling the same story in the same way because of what Heraclitus said about the river. There would be no fun and no surprises. Better to go the way of Westworld or Battlestar Galactica where you take the original elements that are evergreens and put them in a blender with a ton of new, challenging ideas, to create something fresh yet familiar. To those asking why not just do a continuation, for a network series like this, it can’t be done because over half our cast are still stubbornly on the other side of the Rim.

What are the chances this series will be rebooted in modern "woke" America, where every TV series must constantly preach "wokery" to the audience. Hopefully, not but how does one write in a woke censored atmosphere of hysteria.?

posted on Oct, 1 2021 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Tour of Duty.

Greatest American Hero.

The first Starship Troopers cartoon series.

Thundercats.

Quantum leap..make Scott bakula take the role of Max...Bam I just made some powder sniffing producer mad dough...also your welcome scott..I want 1 percent of the residuals ....

Fawlty Towers..which is basically newhart..

And last but not least All in the Family.

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 02:10 AM
link   

What are the chances this series will be rebooted in modern "woke" America, where every TV series must constantly preach "wokery" to the audience. Hopefully, not but how does one write in a woke censored atmosphere of hysteria.?

Yeah, it's rather annoying, I just watched the first Dune (2021) movie, and they changed Liet Kynes (Chani's father in the original story; played by a rather good well-known white male actor in the 80's movie, Max von Sydow, also known as Judge Dredd's mentor in the Stallone movie) to an unknown uninteresting black female actor as well. I thought to myself, they just had to do it, didn't they? They couldn't just leave the story as it was / They couldn't just leave it as it was. And of course, Chani is black now as well (which I have less issues with, but to change a male character to a female that didn't even look old enough to be Chani's mother, no....just no).

In the Lost in Space show they changed the most important character of the story, a male Dr. Smith (excellently portrayed in the 1998 movie by another well-known experienced quality actor, Gary Oldman, who I also enjoyed quite a bit in The 5th Element), to a female as well. At least she's a better actress than the one playing Liet Kynes, but still, I'd prefer to see Gary Oldman again, or an actor of equal quality. When casting is done based on the wokeness angle, you do tend to get the (more) crappy actresses (more so when they also cast based on skin color, limiting their choices even further). When people get jobs based on their being male or female or the color of their skin over those who can perform the same job at a higher quality, or better, I think there's a word for that. Actually 2 words if you consider skin color/race. Making the whole situation rather hypocritical given what the whole wokeness movement claims and pretends to stand against, these very same 2 words.

It's quite annoying, to say the least. I sometimes wonder if people who are now in the preferred classes and types of people (non-white females and LGBTQ people) would prefer to see these higher quality actors as well (such as the 2 I mentioned for example). If they're not getting a little tired of it as well. Seeing lower quality entertainment for wokeness' sake. Ah well, even if a few did, I guess it won't change the (political) agenda and the promotion and glorification of pride (and the accompanying pride movements).

The individual who does not get rid of his pride will suffer. “Pride is before a crash, and a haughty spirit before stumbling.” (Pr 16:18) Or the more familiar phrase, 'pride cometh before the fall'. I wonder which one is used most often, that one or 'pride comes before the fall', 'pride comes before a fall', etc. People seem to use it a lot, but they don't seem to understand or take it to heart all that well. Especially victims of all those wokeness promoters and groups like BLM (a black pride movement, not all that different from white pride movements in essence, in their promotion, glorification and justification of taking pride in something, in this case, something that is not even their own choice or based on their own actions, so how can you take pride in something that isn't of your doing? Maybe you should give credit to the One actually responsible for the wonderful variety we see in human beings, and our abilities + potential for that matter).

posted on Oct, 24 2021 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

I enjoyed Quantum Leap quite a bit as a kid, along with Sliders and The Storyteller (always on Telekids in the afternoon in my country, typical broadcasting for kids and teenagers, usually on Sunday, starting a little earlier with the cartoons). But I didn't include it in my rating list because I think I would not enjoy it as much as an adult. Although I wouldn't mind The Storyteller on Sunday afternoon perhaps, I would watch that if it was on TV (cartoons in my country are always dubbed/translated with Dutch in my country nowadays, it's a horrible practice, I would have watched so much more Star Wars, Transformers and superhero cartoons if they didn't do that, now I don't watch any as soon as I hear the Dutch voices rather than the original voice actors; it just sounds so dumb in Dutch, especially Sci-Fi and Fantasy, my favorite genres, for cartoons especially).

They do the 'dubbing' thing with other teenager shows that aren't cartoons as well, it's horrible (and it prevents the younger generations in my country from learning English at an earlier age, at least it stunts their educational growth in that regards and numbs them to low quality entertainment, lowering their standards and lowering the bar).

At least Comedy Central doesn't do it* to their cartoons. (*: the dubbing thing) Really, subtitles work just fine. I don't see the need for it. Even the cartoons for a younger audience. As a kid I learned most my german from the german Sesame Street, and often I enjoyed it more than the Dutch version, in spite, or perhaps even because, of me not being able to follow what was being said most of the time (creating a bit of mystery to it, engaging my mind to figure out what was going on and what the story was about). As a kid, you pick up other languages pretty fast, the brain and mind are better equipped for that at younger ages compared to when you first get it at school at age 13. At 14 I also got a rather annoying German teacher who was throwing the most surprise graded verbal tests and always checking to see whether we did our homework*, which I was always looking to spend the least amount of time on, doing it just before it was needed, like before going to school early in the morning because I had German class in the first hour, another possible reason for my dislike of that class. I was terrible at getting up early; the other homework for other classes I could do in the lunch and morning breaks. French was similar as German but less surprise graded tests, and I had that class later, often after the first break; by then I was more awake than when I was doing German homework.

*: by going through it first and having people in the class give the answers in a more randomized way than other classes where you could calculate approx. which answer you needed so you could skip the rest, ending up with me doing only that homework in the class (well often, but with German that was harder because of the randomized way that teacher asked the students for their answers). It's hard to learn a bunch of German words and grammar rules at 6:30 AM, which usually turned into 6:45 and often till well after 7, sometimes leaving as little as 15 minutes for it (considering other homework and graded tests, or possible surprise graded verbal tests for French; and needing at least 20 minutes at my top speed on my bike to get to school, inside and in the classroom, at least until I found a short-cut through a farmer's pasture, carrying my bike over or under 3 barbed wire fences, but at least it still shaved about 5 minutes off my transit time, 5 minutes more sleep, definitely worth the effort).

I'm still miffed at my English teacher for lowering my score on my very first English graded test (a dictation test), because I wrote "gonna" instead of "going to" because I wanted to show off, even though I knew it was technically supposed to be "going to", I knew "gonna" was a legitimate word, as listed in the Urban dictionaries nowadays (I wasn't aware at the time these existed, perhaps they are new with the presence of the internet). I remember arguing with my teacher about it afterwards that it was legitimate slang and I knew that it was technically "going to", but he wouldn't hear it (even laughing at my argument, saying I was using it as an excuse and if I really knew, I should have wrote down "going to" instead, implying I was lying about it, which was rather frustrating and felt like a pretty unfair disrespectful and arrogant assumption on his part; especially considering the way that argument went, and he changing his argument from 'it's not correct English' to 'that's not what I said' after I explained that it was correct English slang; now that we have Urban dictionaries, it shows that his argument that it's not correct English was the actual falsehood, and if he knew, it was a lie; so just because you're in the habit of lying don't just assume others are as well just because they want a higher grade/score. See? I'm still miffed about it, especially that assumption of me lying about knowing better and only writing "gonna" to impress him, which previous teachers had encouraged in order to challenge my mind up till I went to the school with graded tests, where students were just numbers, I guess I was prisoner 1408). I learned then and there that creativity wasn't allowed at that school and you just had to do as told. From that point on, I never did as told regarding English homework ever again, I principally refused (also because it was a complete waste of time, I really didn't need it, also not for the tests). I think that realization (about creativity) also was a factor or had a big influence on my habit of doing as little as I could get away with for at least the minimum grades for the classes I didn't like all that much (pretty much everything except math and physics I think; biology was somewhere in the middle; I always liked geography as well up till I switched to a higher school at 13, at which point the first chapter of the geography textbook was about the terraces in Nepal, can you think of a more boring and useless subject for geography? I used to love naming countries and capitals and picking them out on maps, ah well, now I know about terraces in Nepal, and I think it's the only thing I remember from geography class since age 13, at 15 I changed to an economic school which had no geography class I think). History didn't have much more interesting subjects at age 13-15 either. They could have covered so many more wars instead of national politics and names of 20th century politicians that were as significant in the annals of history as your average Roman footsoldier. Who here has ever heard of Lubbers? Who cares? Is that information ever gonna be of use to anyone? Why would I waste my time on learning the names of such insignificant politicians and what they did that, according to the textbook, made them so significant to discuss them in chauvinistic history class? What a waste of my mind.
edit on 24-10-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 04:13 PM
link   

The very popular 90s Sci-fi tv series, "Babylon 5" a 5-year story is getting a reboot under its original producer and creator, J. Michael Straczynski.

I've updated my rating list based on the latest shows I've been watching (just got done with The Witcher season 2, which was even better than season 1). I had to go up to a 12 rating though to distinguish a bit more between my 4 favorite older shows and the more modern shows affected by woke casting and writing. This is my list now (those marked with a * are still running):

Stargate SG-1 (12)
Stargate Atlantis (11.9)
Babylon 5 (11.5)
Star Trek DS9 (11)
Picard (8.6)*
The Expanse (8.5)*
Game of Thrones (8.5; ignoring the last season)
Stargate Universe (8.5)
The Mandalorian (8.4)*
Blackadder (8.4)
Loki (8.3)*
The Witcher (8.2)*
Foundation (8.1)*
What If...? (8)*
ST TNG (8)
Band of Brothers (8)
Space: Above and Beyond (8)
Firefly (8)
Hornblower (7.9)
See (7.8)*
Time Commanders (7.7)
WandaVision (7.6)
Hatfields & McCoys (7.5)
The old BSG (7.4)
ST Voyager and Enterprise (7.3)
Farscape (7.2)
Shadow and Bone (7.1)*
The Dark Crystal (7)
Vikings (7)
ST Discovery (6.9)*
Lost in Space (6.8)
The Boys (6.7)*
The Last Kingdom (6.6)*
Krypton (6.5)
Lost (6.4)
Deadwood (6.3)
Heroes (6.2)
The Orville (6.1)*
The Wheel of Time (6)*
His Dark Materials (6)*
Dark Matter (5.9)
Rome (5.8)
Black Sails (5.7)
Doctor Who (5.6)*
Ash vs Evil Dead (5.5)
Andromeda (5)
Stranger Things (4.5)*
TWD (4.5)*
Falling Skies (4)
Merlin (3)
FTWD (2)*
The new BSG (1)

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 03:35 AM
link   
You know what, I'm upping The Expanse to 8.7, I'm really liking this last season so far and I only had Picard edging out on it because of its nostalgic value for me (and having a bit more options with more alien races, The Expanse is a bit more limited with only 3 major parties, Earth, Mars and the Belt). Picard has to bring out a second season anyway for better comparison (although I did title this thread as "rating ... based on which shows I want to see more episodes of." Which still counts for Picard at 8.6 compared to Stargate Universe at 8.5 for example).

And I'm putting ST TNG back at 8.1 together with What if...? Cause it's still slightly better than Space: Above and Beyond and Firefly (also more material, although that shouldn't be a factor based on what I just quoted from the thread title). Blackadder is hard to fit in with all those expensive Sci-Fi and Fantasy shows, but it's just brilliant and hilarious.

edit on 27-12-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: coamanach

You... You haven't seen Agents of Shield?

Best Marvel show, closer to what the comics were, in my opinion.

Also Vikings and Kingdom, from South-Korea are very good.

I saw Rome in your list. I'm still bummed they had to cancel it because the set burned to the ground...

I'm now watching Agents of Shield and I'm at S3E6. It still looks cheap and the stories are mostly boring me (I did like seeing Bill Paxton in season 1). When rating this show amongst the other shows I realized I liked everything starting down from Vikings a lot less than what I've previously rated it at, so I lowered them all which also allowed me to fit in Agents of Shield a little better. This is now the bottem half of my rating list (I still feel ST Discovery is rated too high but at least it has some spaceships in there and at least it's still Star Trek in name; and Vikings has some interesting battles in it, albeit few and far between, I'm being very generous with it):

Vikings (6)
ST Discovery (5.9)*
Lost in Space (5.8) (last season was getting better)
The Boys (5.7)*
The Last Kingdom (5.6)*
Krypton (5.5)
The Wheel of Time (5.4)*
Lost (5.3)
Deadwood (5.2)
Heroes (5.1)
The Orville (5)*
Dark Matter (4.9)
Rome (4.8)
His Dark Materials (4.7)*
Black Sails (4.6)
Andromeda (4.5)
Doctor Who (4.4)*
Ash vs Evil Dead (4)
Attack on Titan (3.5)
Stranger Things (3.4)*
TWD (3.3)*
Falling Skies (3.2)
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (3.1)
Merlin (3)
FTWD (2)*
The new BSG (1)

I really do not like most modern shows (I think I mentioned that before). If I'm running into any more duds I think I'll just return to re-watching Stargate for the 7th time or so. Or perhaps ST DS9 or Babylon 5, cause I think I've only seen those 4-5 times or so.

By the way, how many "Strong Woman" (a.k.a. 'bad-ass') type of characters is the magic number for modern shows (Sci-Fi, fantasy or otherwise)? Shield seems to have a lot of 'm, aren't they crowding out eachother at some point? I think it's getting pretty obvious from which political end of the spectrum the funding for these shows is coming from to keep them going far beyond the length of shows like Space: Above and Beyond and Firefly.

Here's a real Strong Woman type character, and when she fights a man, it's depicted in a lot more believable or realistic manner as well:

Much more enjoyable to watch, and actually funny.
edit on 3-1-2022 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
You know what, I'm upping The Expanse to 8.7, I'm really liking this last season so far and I only had Picard edging out on it because of its nostalgic value for me (and having a bit more options with more alien races, The Expanse is a bit more limited with only 3 major parties, Earth, Mars and the Belt).

Saw 2 more episodes of the Expanse by now and I have to say, The Expanse is raising the bar yet again. Upping it to 9. So sad that I've heard this is the last season while ST Discovery just keeps on going, in spite of all the complaints on IMDB in the reviews section. Just a small sample from the reviews section of ST Discovery, sorted by review date:

1/10
Please Stop
gwms3219 January 2022
Note to all who produce this version of Star Trek: please please stop. It is probably too late yo keep from destroying the legacy and concept of Star Trek; but please stop anyway. It is painful.

1/10
To go crying where no one has gone before
many-003988 January 2022
To watch a show I love for its accurate and sometimes visionary science and a crew played by actors so well that I actually cared about what happens to their characters turned into this Dr Phil drama.....

With the exception of Anson Mount as Captain Pike and Anthony Rapp as Paul Stamets, this series' crew can happily face the same fate as the Red Shirts, I do not care!

The characters and dialogue is dull and unimaginative, Best way to watch, it is without sound and enjoy the special effects and VFX. That is the only way to watch this cruel parody on Star trek.

Why do TV writers dislike Star Trek so much? First Enterprise than this drivel. I guess haters gone hate.

1/10
This is the "WISH" version of StarTrek
whocares-962378 January 2022
The higher ratings are garbage from either Hollywood paid marketing firms or an intentional effort to push some stupid social messaging.

Im calling this another fail by CBS and by Hollyweird who continue to try and push their foolishness on everyone!

3/10
"HAD" high hopes for this series but have been severely disapointed
rwgilmore248 January 2022
There are many interesting plots , twist that could have been turned into a REALLY good ScFi series ---- but no 60% of the screen time is sappy, child like emotional conversations all with the usual current social agenda topics. It is not say as bad a Supergirl got but their trying. These characters seem to have NO emotional maturity or realistic reactions.

1/10
Too much woke programming
tordarbast7 January 2022
Im so tired of all manipulative programming in media. Do they think we are so easy to manipulate when they are doing it so obvious?

This is not made at all to fit the majority of the star trek audience, thats soo stupid..

2/10
I'm done
jw_wells7 January 2022
I hung in there for the first couple of seasons, but I can't go any further. It's just not Star Trek. So many speeches, so much delay of the action to make ourselves aware of our emotional state. I mean an alien could be ready to attack you or a planet ready to explode and they go into these five minute long emotional vomits and how everything is affecting them, I really just don't understand why this is so relevant to their storylines. ...

2/10
Gay Trek - the end of civilization ...white hertosexuals not allowed
purgatorysun5 January 2022
I gave this a 2 because it has Star Trek in the name. What happened to season 4 ....who at Paramount is letting this drivel continue. It is taking hollywood a long time to figure out you cannot ram woke down our throats some streaming services are just staring to realize this. I hope that "star trek new worlds " goes back to the traditional star trek giving us plots , stories of space battles and fighting aliens not crying portrayed lgbt actors and woke issues. My fingers are crossed

This is the only series that I have my remote on fast forward from the one hour show you will get 10 minuites of a plot though that is hard to find in the middle of all the crying going on. I have given up on this social engineering wrapped up in a scifi series. Though the scifi aspect is questionable. Shut this crud down and delete it from the Star Trek archives.

2/10
A Poorly written Holo-Novel
darkstar-520825 January 2022
I really hope this series ends with the Doctor from Voyager, saying computer end program as he walks out smugly from the holo deck. I hated this ending for Enterprise, but for Discovery it would make alot of sense.

Its almost every episode someone is crying or having an emotional breakdown because their hamster is dying. Then they all have to hold hands and talk about their feelings. Even the ships computer needs a pet talk.

I miss old trek where they would just reverse the polarity or invert the neutreno flow and then have a laugh playing poker at the end, even though a red shirt was flushed out the air lock 10 min earlier.

There really need to start increasing the lithium supply in the air or just activate self destruct and get it over with.

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 08:40 AM
link   
And now The Expanse (also sorted by review date):

10/10
BLEW MY MIND AWAY
segun-206779 January 2022
Has to be one of the greatest Sci fi series of all time. The story is fantastic, the mystery,the acting, the CGI has to be one of the very best I've seen. The series is just a complete work of art.

8/10
What a wonderful world
doorsscorpywag9 January 2022
It's been a while since we got a sci-fi series as grand as Babylon 5 but The Expanse certainly has managed to imagine something of that scale.

As we await possibly its final moments we wonder whether all will be resolved or hopefully someone rescues the show once again.

For me its scope has been breath-taking at times with the 3 different factions brought to life magnificently by its roster of acting talent.

We began the journey with Joe Miller's missing person and followed Chrisjen Avasarala's rise to power, fall and rise again.

We thrilled to the epic story of the crew of the Rocinate and became invested in its members who encompassed the best of Earth/Mars/Belt.

It's had its poorer moments of course and the last series The Saga Of Naomi was a big mistake which was sad as she was/is a really good character.

10/10
Is this show getting better and better?
walterhoward9 January 2022
Is it me? I don't know, but this sixth season is so engaging. I can't say why really, but I'm REALLY going to miss this when it's over.

One thing super interesting is they are taking time with very realistic, probably details about this environment, not even necessarily directly related to the plot, but just thrown in there to give a slice of what life would be like in the space faring world of the Belters, like "piggybacking a message on a comm test" or "the problems growing a limb back". It really adds to the realism for someone like me who has a background in real science and not the fantasy that is most often peddled nowdays, and called science-fiction.

10/10
It should NEVER end!
ktl-36-1651438 January 2022
When this series is over, I'm sure I'm going into a deep depression..I mean, what else is there to equal such a phenomenal series! Truth be told, you need to get past the first season. I think the producers never expected it to take off like it did . I never saw a series that actually got better with each episode in each series. Why it is in its final season is a huge mystery. With all the garbage on TV and in the movies with all the top names in Hollywood and the zillion dollar budgets..this one is a super nova gem. Watch it and then remorse the loss.

10/10
Terrific Series
st-george-18 January 2022
Sci-fi that does not base itself on wishful inventions of the distant future that appear as magic, or strange shaped creatures that scare us then eat us. Excellent cast and writing, credible script and imaginative! The characters are .... human! They have all the characteristics of people alive today. Yet they are in space, i.e., our solar system divided into Earth, Mars, and those occupying the inner belt of asteroids between Mars and Jupiter. These regions have well developed loyalties that spark conflict added to by discoveries of an ancient race of beings, long departed, that left some mysterious surprises to contend over. Excellent show! The characters are great, diverse, developed, and convincing. Cast is spot on!

10/10
I don't usually review but..
odwyeral7 January 2022
.. Yea The Expanse is execellent.. I was about to give up after two episodes, for some reason I got the impression that it was low budget or something, but then I persevered and pretty much binnge watched after that. It is really high budget and brilliant story line. This is some of the best sci-fi I have ever watched. I'm now on season 6 so I just really hope they end it properly amd dont f up the story line.

10/10
The best Sci-Fi series ... EVER
petroniusnz7 January 2022
An absolutely magnificent TV series! Top story - realistic, great acting and production - awesome. So, please, please, please, DO NOT CANCEL this show and leave loyal fans hanging :-(

I was well into the Expanse book series when I heard about and eagerly anticipated the TV-series, albeit with some trepidation given other failed / less than ideal book-to-TV journeys. This TV series gives me hope that great TV can emerge from great books. You just need to ... stay ... the ... distance.

posted on Jan, 11 2022 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: coamanach

You... You haven't seen Agents of Shield?

Best Marvel show, closer to what the comics were, in my opinion.

I'm now at S6E6 and finally beginning to feel it's getting better and more interesting (also more spaceships and scenes in space or other planets). I'm upping it from 3.1 to 4.3, just below Dr. Who (had some space there in between 4.4 and 4 anyway).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join