It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UEFA European Football Championship 2020 (21) , the Time has Come

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Good luck to England and Scotland! It's unfortunate that some of England's players are sidelined because of possible covid exposure. And Foden to protect him from a second booking that would exclude him later on in the tournament.

I hope both games will be entertaining. I feel Croatia vs Scotland is going to be a bloodbath... they both need to win.

edit on 22-6-2021 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well, England look a little bit better.

Saka has been a revelation.
We look a lot better with Grealish, Saka and Sterling.

We need to take our chances when we get them.
We'll only get the odd chance against top opposition, we simply can not afford to miss these chances.

Kane looks a little bit better....but really should have scored.

I always think we our defence will # up at some point and drop a clanger.
We desperately need a second goal.

Jordan Henderson on, that's good.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Lol! I fear we’ll be annihilated next game. Saka gave the best England performance so far in the tournament - the game I expected to see from Foden. I’ll admit it’s getting harder to choose an 11, not easier. But to still feel that way on the eve of facing Portugal, France or Germany does not bode well.

But it is an England habit of old that we play better against better sides, so who knows, we may finally hit our form at the right moment. At least we’ll get be tested against one of the best teams in a tournament match before getting knocked out.

Surely Grealish and Saka now have to start next Tuesday, but as one the pundits just said Southgate may go to a back 5 against France or Germany. FFS I hope not! Saka made it clear that we play best when players take the ball forward quickly as Saka did. And pass forward as Grealish kept doing in the first half. Everyone else was pause, touch-touch, pause. But Grealish was driving forward, quick pass and keep moving forward to get it back. Grealish and Saka were key to t he positive play, so p,ease don’t revert back, Southgate!

Edit: Ian Wright cracked me up when said Grealish ‘regurgitated the ball’, I think he meant ‘recycled’. I love Ian, always wears his heart on his sleeve.

edit on 22-6-2021 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 05:54 PM
link   
That was again another uninspiring performance by England.
First 15 yiz were good, but that was it.

Harry Kane should not be playing. Yet he will be all over the back pages the eve of the next match declaring he's ready, declaring "we can win it". Saying he's so proud of being the captain. Mr. Undroppable himself. Its time for Calvert-Lewis to play. Yiz need goals and Kane hasn't got one in him.

Doesn't matter who England play next they will be knocked out. Best player tonight was Saka who Southgate hasn't the balls to start next game. He only started because Mount couldnt play. He'll start Grealish (great assist) next and drop Foden. Someone mentioned yiz might play 5 at the back. With 2 holding midfielders? Yeah probably, knowing Mr. set-them-up-so-we-dont-lose. Yiz were already through before tonights match, he still played Rice and Phillips. He had a great chance to see a more attacking side. England are at their best going forward, not defending.

Saka was very good, he can dribble. And he can score goals. When teams sit back a player like him is needed to open up the defence. Thats why yiz have been sheeite so far. Cant break down a good defence. Yiz have the players to do it. But they're on the bench. Sancho came on for the last 5 minutes!! Come on man.

On the BBC Sport website fans give their players ratings after each match. After that bore fest tonight Kane was second last with a rating out of ten of 4.73. He was below Sancho who only played 5 minutes!! Last was Rashford.
Top was Saka and second was Grealish.

I think that sums England up. Mr. reliable himself, Mr. play every game himself. The Captain. Second from bottom.
2 players who dont get selected and are only playing because of others misfortune, are rated top.
Yet who will definitely start next match and who wont?
Wake up Mr. Southgate this is your best ever chance of actually winning a tournament. Its basically a home one.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

a reply to: McGinty

But it is an England habit of old that we play better against better sides,....

We may play better.....but we rarely win.

Southgate may start with Grealish in the next game, but I have a feeling he won't.
Caution will always take priority with him.
There's not a hope in hell Saka will start despite his first half performance being the best so far by an England player in this tournament.

The second half performance was poor - Southgate seems incapable of reacting to other teams changing tactics.
Teams change shape to counter the threat posed by England, but then Southgate seems unable to alter his tactics in turn.
They are one-dimensional - I think at times One Direction would pose a greater threat!

England did look relatively solid in defence - I am actually coming round to Kyle Walker - but as I said earlier, I always have that feeling that someone is going to make a monumental # up.

I certainly think this squad have a greater desire to win and appear to actually have some pride in wearing an England shirt and representing their country.
That is something that couldn't be said about many previous England teams and can only be commended.

But they lack the drive and intensity that the top teams have.
Too much slow, dithering, tippy-tap, sideways or backwards passing at a snails pace.
And that surely must be on instruction from the manager.

We haven't got a hope in hell of winning our next game if we play like that.....but I can not see Southgate changing his ways now.

I could sort of understand him playing two defensive midfielders in front of a flat back four.
But they have to be Henderson and one of either Rice or Phillips - I have become a bit of a fan of Rice but I have to say that other than one or two efforts he's been more or less anonymous during the last three games.

That would leave four places up for grabs.

He will start with Kane up front - he shouldn't but he will.
Sterling is a shoe in.
That leaves two places.
I think he'll play Foden - which is ok if he tries to take opponents on instead of trying to play like Butch Wilkins - and possibly Grealish but I suspect not.
Maybe Bellingham?

No matter what, judging on what I've seen so far I can't see us winning our next game.
They simply don't play with the thrust, drive and intensity to trouble the likes of France, Germany or Portugal.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
We have a week to work and prepare for this game, that is an amazing luxury in tournament football.
Who knows?....England certainly have the mix of players, they just need the manager to deliver in terms of selection, set-up and tactics and to allow them to play to their strengths.

We could also hope for Divine Intervention because as we know, God is indeed an Englishman.

edit on 23/6/21 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Just a quick word on my thoughts on the other Home nations.

I think Scotland have done better than what their results have shown.

Lots of endeavour and effort but possibly lacking in quality and creativeness - the latter is something that could equally apply to both England and Wales too.

I genuinely hope Scotland take the lessons learnt from this tournament, both good and bad, and use it to move forward in a positive manner.
They can compete at the highest level, but they need to start producing the numbers of quality players they used to.

I think Steve Clarke is doing an excellent job.....we'll swap managers if they want?

Wales?
They've done ok bearing in mind their top players haven't really delivered.
I think it'd be quite rude and insulting to say they are punching well above their weight....but.

The vagaries of tournament football.
Wales finish second in their group and on paper have an easier game in the next stage than England who topped their group.
No complaining, it simply is the way it is - it could quite easily have been the other way round.

So Wales could possibly go further in the tournament than England.
Something that my Welsh friends - yes, I do have some and yes I openly admit to it - will never let me forget.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 02:51 AM
link   
So often England attacked the goal, it’s defended and the ball goes back out to an England player in a forward midfield position. All of the attacking England players are still forward around the Czech goal, so the ball should be passed or crossed back towards the Czech goal - keep the bloody pressure on…

But what did they do? Take a few touches, look around, get closed down by a Czech or two, then panic and back pass it. Within moments it’s back to Pickford.

This happens every game 8 out of 10 times! Other teams must look at that and laugh! Imo it comes from Southgate telling them they must keep possession at all costs - when in doubt go backwards and reset - keep the other team chasing the ball. For Southgate it seems that possession > scoring. He’s a numpty!

He’s making the same mistake as so many England managers over the past 2 decades; score a goal and then park the bus - focusing on defence and waiting for the other side to finally score. He’s gotten away with that because of the mediocre quality of the opponents.

Up against better in the last 16 that won’t work. France, Germany or Portugal will undoubtably find ways through southgate’s defence and score. The only way we can beat that is we can do the same and the only time that’s looked possible was with Grealish and Saka/Foden. Southgate’s obviously not trained with that set up and I think if he did, then they’d be formidable.

It was also sad to see Calvert-Lewin idling on the bench for the whole 90. Southgate’s so desperate to break Kane’s duck that he leaves a striker in top form out for every game.

When teams grow into a tournament it’s because the manager is adapting. If Southgate can’t see the light after Saka and Grealish’s performance last night and spend the next week practice around their attack, then we’ll get demolished next Tuesday,

Maybe this ‘safe play’ has been a group stages strategy and now for the knockout stages he’ll come out fighting with a goal scoring set up. Hope springs eternal!

edit on 23-6-2021 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: McGinty

We tend to qualify for these tournaments with ease due to the quality of opposition.
But we always have tendency to over complicate things and Southgate has taken caution to the extreme.
Its boring as hell and more importantly lacks any sort of potency.

When we get to the tournaments themselves he maintains his cautious approach and teams work us out with ease.
There is no variation, no Plan B just same old same old - backwards, sidewards, slow build up, keep possession at all costs.....all at the expense of pressing forward, creating chances and actually scoring #ing goals.

In the 2018 World Cup if I remember rightly England scored 10 goals, 9 were from set pieces of one sort or another.
Only one from open play.

Nothing much has changed there.

These are an incredibly talented bunch of players and this squad has true strength in depth.

Southgate is in danger of wasting them.

And his job has been guaranteed till after the next World Cup.

I hate sounding so negative - especially in the middle of a tournament and when they haven't conceded a goal yet and have finished top of their group - but its the manner in which they've done it and the style of play that makes me so pessimistic. Throw in the fact that I have literally seen it all so before quite a few times now that really makes me despair.

I'd love to see Southgate and the boys prove me wrong, somehow I doubt it.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   

England? They've done ok bearing in mind their top players haven't really delivered. I think it'd be quite rude and insulting to say they are punching well above their weight....but.

There fixed that for you

Wales are a fighting team they play out of their skins. They could well get to the semis again. There are no easy games now especially in knockout football.

Scotland, my brothers. Alas they couldnt score in a brothel. Croatia bossed the midfield, Modric's goal was pure class. If Gilmour had been playing it would have been different. Look what he did against England. He'd have done the same against the Croats.

Looking forward to tonight's games, the outstanding one is obviously Portugal versus France. Ronaldo v Mbappe.The European Champions versus The World Champions.
The Germans will beat Hungary. So many permutations in that group. Goal difference will be vital so im hoping there will be plenty of attacking play in both matches. After last night the tournament needs it.

After tonight theres no games until Saturday when Wales take on the Danes and Italy play Austria.

What am i gonna do for 3 days? Gibber and quiver?

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I'd love to see Southgate and the boys prove me wrong, somehow I doubt it.

I doubt it too. But tbh I’d rather England didn’t win if it’s via playing safe and caring only about defending. I don’t want any team to win that way - it’s bad for the game.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well that was a great day of football.

Started out with Slovakia's goalie scoring an amazing own goal. The day ended with a Ronaldo penalty.
So much action in between..

Spain finally produced a performance. Sweden broke my heart with a 93rd minute winner. I had a bet on that their match and the Portugal match would both be score-draws. It was a 22/1 double. Had a tenner on it. 93rd freakin' minute. Grrrr...

Hungary scared the crap outta the Germans, what a performance that almost was. And to top it all off the Portugal/France game delivered on excitement. What about Ronaldo huh? What a game.

So its England versus Germany on Tuesday. I have to smile. Theres another 7 player defence for sure. Havertz will worry the English defence. Hummels was immense tonight.

I can just imagine the buzz over there right now. It would be like us playing England. Shouts of "bring it on" from now until kick off im sure.

The tournament came alive today, exactly what it needed.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Some great football today.

Germany.

If England play to their potential they can beat anyone but I fear Southgate's negativity will strangle them and German efficiency will see through, again.

But.....
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Look at this image from last night.

So much going on in it.

The obvious one is a coca-cola bottle thrown at Ronaldo after he scored. Im sure yiz all know about him moving the bottles away from him during a press conference last week.
Apparently the company's worth reduced by 4 billion after he did it.

Then we have Asterix and Obelix the Gauls from the famous comic books.

Then we have someone wearing a mask on the left.

Then we have someone to the right of Obelix recording Ronaldo.

Congratulations to Ronaldo on equaling the world record goals scored, 109.
For me Ronaldo is the GOAT. He's done everything, as has Messi. But he's also won a major trophy with his country, Messi has not. That for me makes him the greatest.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Great photo.
I thought Obelix was an Argey at first!

Ronaldo is the greatest player I've seen.
Done it all and does it on the big occasions, far too often Messi goes missing in the BIG games.

I was lucky enough to see him in action at Old Trafford a couple of times - no, I'm not a Manc but I do have a few mates who are and my brother lived in Manchester for a while.
I was mesmerised by him.
He has everything, the complete footballer.

As for the Coca-Cola thing; he may well have had a point, but its easy being principled when you have a # load of money in the bank.

Pogba made me laugh when he tried to jump on the bandwagon and moved the Heineken bottles because he's a Muslim.
They were Heineken 00, no alcohol.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Yeah the photo is very eh, current, if you like.
Mask wearing. Smart phone recording. Ronaldo scoring. Comic book stars. Coca-cola. I just thought its a sign of the times. Its a great photo.

I agree Ronaldo does it in the big games, he revels in them. He loves the pressure you can see it in him. Ive never seen him live, nor Messi.
He's now got 5 goals already in the tournament. In 3 games! Phenomenal. Just amazing. He can go on until he's 40 no problem. He's 36 and he's still banging the goals in. He's as fit as a 36 year old can possibly be, he's a colossus.
We have Portugal in our World Cup qualifiers, we're at home to them in November so im hoping to see him then. If capacity crowds are allowed i'll get in. Hoping he plays that night and devastates our defence, but still lose.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   

CR7 is an exciting player, but a boring eater.

This, apparently, is his main daily meal (of six):

Always the same. Broccoli, chicken and rice. With litres of water, and no Coca-Cola, of course."

www.mirror.co.uk...

I guess it's a small sacrifice to stay in shape and mentally sharp.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

That would be the dinner of many a professional athlete.

Boring yes, essential? Maybe. Steak and chips? Nope.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Could you imagine having that for every meal?

A mate of mine got 10 years in a Japanese jail.
His first day in there they gave him a menu and he was quite surprised at the options.
He chose chicken with rice.
He got chicken with rice for every meal every single day he was in there.

He doesn't eat chicken now unless it is in a sauce etc.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 04:29 PM
link   

If i was on the money he's earning it would not be a problem whatsoever. I would eat a lot worse if i was earning that amount of paper.

Sure throw a splodge of HP Brown Sauce on it and Bob's yer uncle

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I called it the other day, Kane would be all over the back pages. Now he's 'preparing to peak'. Never have i heard that term used before. He always does this when he plays sh1t. Gets himself all over the papers, have people talking about him. Every time.
Oh, and happy day for England too. Southgate's being lined up for a new contract to take him past Qatar 2022! The FA need replacing...

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join