It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UEFA European Football Championship 2020 (21) , the Time has Come

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Southgate is a 'safe' pair of hands form the F.A.
It's amazing that he's been told his job is safe regardless of how we perform in this tournament. We could lose our next two games and he won't be sacked.
I think he's beginning to believe that he's some sort of tactical genius.
He isn't, his whole mindset is safety first, he doesn't like flair and creativity.
The tippy-tap, side ways or backwards passing at a snails pace is boring as hell, it's predictable and easy to counter.
And that is why whenever we play any team of quality his team and tactics are ineffective.

He should never, ever have been made England manager.

But he is and we are where we are.

We have a good platform to build on, but absolutely MUST improve.
I simply don't get all the hype.
I have seen it so many times before.
No wonder other nations piss themselves laughing when we crash and burn.

Southgate's problem is his lack of faith in his defence.
And that is why he plays two holding midfielders.
Release one of them and there is clearly room for Grealish.

I sincerely hope I am proved wrong and England do well.

England's first knock-out game could be very tricky indeed.
If we get past that then there is really no reason why we realistically can't expect to get to the final.....and over one game of 90 minutes anything can happen.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Watching Scotland.

Something wrong with me....I've been cheering them on.

Please do not tell Andy, Solo or Sappy etc, heaven forbid if of my 'real life' Jockish friends found out.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Yeah after the Big Sam debacle, a safe manager was what the FA wanted

2 holding midfielders and 4 defenders, thats 7 in defence... 7 !!!!

Also has no faith in Shaw or Chilwell, playing Trippier at left back. Way to show faith in your defenders..

When Maguire was playing did he play 2 holding midfielders then? What about Jordan Henderson?

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Scotland lose..

Makes Friday's match against youz an even bigger game, if thats possible.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 01:23 PM
link   

He always plays two defensive or holding midfielders regardless of his formation or personnel.

Don't get me wrong, all good teams have a player like that.
Someone who breaks opponents play up, protects the defence, wins the ball and lays it off to other more attack minded players etc.
It can be an ugly and thankless role....but essential.

But having two massively reduces our attacking options.
And it shows how little faith and confidence he has in his defence.

Southgate has his favourites and sticks with them through thick and thin, sometimes despite form.

A fit Jordan Henderson would be my choice for captain.
When he plays well England and Liverpool both play well.

I'm not sure Henderson is fully fit yet.

Friday is a MASSIVE game.
Scotland are 10% - 20% better when they play England.
It pains me that we don't seem to play with the same level of passion and drive.
They have a good central core and Robertson and Tierney are fabulous players.
But we should have too much quality for them.....provided Southgate and his team selection and tactics are a bit more adventurous.

It wouldn't surprise me that much if Scotland spoiled the party.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I came up with (IMHO) a decent accumulator but have been too busy to make the bookies for about a week now. So I decided to try an online bookie with all the introductory offers and odds boosters and match bets. Fark my dog, how complicated do they have to make it?! Betting shop - fill in a slip, hand it in at the till with your stake. Online betting - you need a PhD in advanced difficult stuff.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Yeah Henderson if fully fit is a definite starter. That means Rice not playing. Couldnt drop Phillips after how well he played in the Croatia game.

Remember when Kane told Pochettino he was fit for the Champions League final when he clearly wasn't? He was dreadful that night he shouldn't have played. Lucas Moura was brilliant in the semi against Ajax. But Kane obviously desperate to play, lied.
Well it looked like he's telling porkies again judging by the game against Croatia. If he really loved his country the way he claims he does, he would drop out of the team. He certainly didnt help Spurs's cause that night and he ain't helping England now.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Scotland beat yiz. Memories of Stuttgart '88 flooding back...
Its a one off game, a cup final if you like. So anything can happen there are no favourites. Especially this game!!

I'll wait 'til the eve of the match to make a prediction.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   

For some reason Kane has become undroppable.

Of course he's a good player, a bloody damn good player.
But I think he's a bit overrated.
I know many will disagree with that, but hey, football is all about opinions.

The problem is what's the alternative?
Calvert-Lewin started last season well and he's always done well for England....but he isn't world class.
Rashford?
He too looks out of form.

Scotland are going to come out all guns blazing and are going to chase and harry every single ball.
They will try their best to bully and intimidate - not a criticism, fair enough tactics in my eyes - and put England on the back foot from the minute the whistle is blown.
Southgate will be set up with his usual cautious formation and tactics.

We're dooomed!

However, if England up the tempo, press high and play with the intensity we know they can we could get a mitful.

What I would give to see something like the famous Gazza goal in Euro 96.

I can tell a few tales about that day.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Im sure you and all of England can mate.

The problem with Rashford is his final decision making. He's not an out and out striker he's a winger.

I'd go with Sterling through the middle with Foden and Mount either side with Grealish number 10. But that wont happen.
Friday is gonna be the mother of all battles. Im almost as excited as if we were playing yiz. Its what most are talking about over here. Like you said anyone but England. Its a great test for the courage of both players and manager on their own turf. Against the auld enemy. Aaaah i love football

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Wales 2 - 0 Turkey.

Great game, full of action.

Bale is an enigma, right? Today he puts in a man of the match performance, something he doesn't do at club level. His critics say he always plays better in a Welsh jersey. They're right.
2 assists and a missed peno. T'was an awful penalty.

Luckily they got a 2nd and that was the end of that.

Ramsey played well even though he missed a great chance, he took his goal well. It was a great assist by Bale for it.
I thought James played well too.

So now they've 4 points and with Italy through already with 6, it looks good for the Welsh. Can they do a repeat of 5 years ago and go all the way to the semi's?
Its a very tough ask, even harder than before. But not impossible.

Now, Next match of interest is the big one. The one we've all been waiting for !!!

Ukraine v North Macedonia tomorrow!!

Can't wait, im already hyped up for it...

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Bale and Pogba.
Both look like completely different players when playing for their respective countries.

Missed the Wales game, busy with 'real life' stuff.
Hopefully I'll get to watch the highlights later on tonight.

Italy look good, very good.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Italy are sh1t hot, closing in on a record. 29 games unbeaten now, the record is 32 i think. Im not sure if its their own record or an international record.
2 goals conceded in the last 13 games, none in the last 9. Now they are some stats.

They havn't played a strong team yet (in this tournament), but they look unbeatable right now.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Its THE day. Time for a prediction

1-1. Simple. Cant see either side losing or winning. Too much pride at stake to lose.

I actually think they could cancel each other out and be a 0-0.

I put a score on a 1-1 at 5/1 so a nice hundred if thats the result.

But inside yiz all know im rooting for my Celtic brothers. COME ON THE TARTAN ARMY !!!

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Sorry but I don't see Scotland scoring in open play , perhaps from a set piece or penalty but for me 3-0 England.
Harry Maguire could be set for his return from injury tonight and if Southgate plays Jack Grealish the opportunities for England will flow.

The Dutch looked good last night but yeah Italy are looking strong.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I hope Grealish starts....but I think Southgate will keep more or less the same team. He might possibly tinker with the full-backs.

You would expect an England victory...but Scotland raise their game against us.
I wish we played with the same level of commitment and passion.

I'm going to predict a 2-0 victory....but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Thats a confident prediction there hombre.
Yiz could only get one against Croatia.

But yiz do have a great forward line, but a cautious manager. We'll see how many holding midfielders he plays. Im gonna guess 2 again. At least for the first hour, see how yiz are getting on.

One holding midfielder with Grealish playing and yiz could well get 3 goals..

Teams should be out soon. I think its an hour before kick off for the team sheets.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Thats a confident prediction there hombre.
Yiz could only get one against Croatia.

Yes but that was in a mustn't lose first game on the hottest day of the year , I think we'll see a different England tonight given the lower temperature and the opposition , Croatia are showing their skill now against the Czech Republic ... our next victim ... I mean opponent.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Teams should be out soon. I think its an hour before kick off for the team sheets.

Here are the two formations:

England:

Scotland:

No predictions from me, but I think it is going to be war! I feel a red card might be in the stack, too.

edit on 18-6-2021 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   
2 holding midfielders again.

Is Mctominay really playing in defence? Isn't he a holding midfielder for United?

I agree could well be a red card somewhere, but i hope not. It'll be an excuse if that team loses.

Come on Scotland !!!

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Can't see any reason to keep Kane on and we need some flair , Grealish time.

Scotland are playing well but England are letting them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join