It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baroness Jenny Jones calls for 6pm curfew on all men in England after the murder of Sarah Everard

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: NeoSpace

I agree.

Women should just go out, have men stay at home, rest, drink beer, eat sandwiches, watch tv.

Yeah, women should go be the main bread winners while men stay home and take care of the kiddos, and do the house chores, and get dinner made.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

You're right. And I agree that women are a big part of the problem, not just in terms of those who reject any basic courtesies from men in the name of "feminism," but there also seems to be a very possessive and controlling aspect with too many women now.

My husband is still the old-fashioned gentleman, always ready to help others in need -- male or female, young or old, whatever. He was raised in family of faith and values and helping others is part of that. I've never been jealous or suspicious when he's told me he's helped a woman having car problems or trying to lift a 30 pound bag of dog food into her trunk or whatever might cross his way. But there's always someone ready to raise their eyebrows or make a snide remark about his intentions. He's never given me a reason not to trust him, and helping people in need is certainly not one!

My son and husband talk -- complain! -- about their younger workers being constantly on the phone with their wives/girlfriends... My husband especially, because they work "on site," and they work until the job is done. It's very frustrating for him when they're trying to finish up a job and get home, and a wife/girlfriend is giving his worker(s) the third degree instead of letting him do the job!

You make a good broader point in that women can't complain that men are the problem, and then not let them be part of the solution. If women are going to think the worst and believe the worst about all men, they themselves are effectively preventing all men from doing better, and that is not protecting women from the bad ones.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Since when did Jenny Jones get a title?!?

I mean her talk show was pretty cool for the trash it was and I was buds with one of the producers, but come on, man!

I should be a knight or CBE at least if she's a baroness...

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It wasn't a serious suggestion - she was using the argument that introducing legislation subjecting all men to curfew to lessen discrimination makes as much sense as police telling women to stay at home to improve public safety in response to a police officer being arrested on suspicion of murdering a woman.
edit on 12-3-2021 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   
That's a bit heavy-handed, no?

Ladies night!! lol

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   
At one time women were not allowed into pubs so I think that aught to be brought back. Men only allowed out at night (to go and come back from the pub), women not allowed out at night, know their place in the kitchen and keep their ankles covered up.
Women want equality, well you've got it. Look after yourself cos men get attacked at night as well. Ah, but now you want to come with the wilting flower act???
By the way this post is sarcasm. Or is it.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'm a big advocate of everyone being armed with a means of self-defense. I don't care if it's a kitchen knife, baseball bat, a taser, OC spray, or a gun.

You make it illegal to defend yourself and this is the BS that happens.

Yes, it would be awesome if everyone got together and sang like muppets, but that's likely never going to happen.

They need to be able to defend themselves.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Predatory violent sexual offenders don't come with warning signs

Here's an idea: How about men do something to help minimize and prevent harm to women from their brothers BEFORE the crime is committed???

Firstly how are men supposed to do something to help prevent harm to women from there “brothers” BEFORE the crime is committed if your above statement is true?

Secondly never call other men my brothers. Like we are all in solidarity or something, it never has been and never will be the case!

Let’s not forget the suspect arrested is a police officer, supposed to protect and serve the public. I’ve never believed that since being a kid but that’s another story. So my suggestion for women to feel less afraid of men and powerless is to take up self defence classes, to carry pepper sprays and similar. If women knew how easy it is to put a man on his knees in agony and had practice doing so they would feel much more empowered and confident.

I agree an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of revenge, but you know what prevents crime the most? Golly gee it’s fear of revenge, retribution or punishment. I would argue that the punishments for violent rape aren’t strong enough, or crime in general. People think in terms of risk vs reward, the risk must overwhelm the reward if we want to prevent crime.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I liked it better when she just cared about her TV show.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Excuses me! I might look like a 6'5" 280 pound muscled man, but I self identify as a female, so now get out of my way if you do not want your ass kicked...

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Here's some context from the horses mouth.

Since my comments about a curfew for men to keep women safe, I've had a deluge of misogynistic emails and tweets. Which rather proves my point about the problem being with men...
twitter.com...

OMG I called her a horse ! .... Misogynist !!!!

There is a problem but it isn't with men.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
I'm a big advocate of everyone being armed with a means of self-defense. I don't care if it's a kitchen knife, baseball bat, a taser, OC spray, or a gun.

You make it illegal to defend yourself and this is the BS that happens.

Yes, it would be awesome if everyone got together and sang like muppets, but that's likely never going to happen.

They need to be able to defend themselves.

Reasonable force is legal in the UK. Used to know a guy who was found to have used 'reasonable force' by stabbing someone who'd tried to attack him in a pub even though it is technically illegal to carry one in public without good reason.

While there's a moral argument for being able to carry weapons in self defence it doesn't work in practice; the murder rate in the US is four times higher than the UK's. We're one of the safest in the world despite the much publicised knife crime epidemic.

The femicide rate did rise 10% in the UK 2019/20 which is a very alarming trend and appears to have increased further still under lockdown which is what prompted the House of Lords debate on Domestic Violence where she made the comments as police are still failing to take the issue seriously.
edit on 12-3-2021 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Firstly how are men supposed to do something to help prevent harm to women from there “brothers” BEFORE the crime is committed if your above statement is true?

For starters, the many ways I have already offered in various comments here, some of which you also offer below! Besides actually allowing women to arm themselves, provide self-defense classes, and other means/methods to protect and defend themselves.

I've also suggested that instead of authorities -- or anyone -- telling women to just go hide, that they also suggest/recommend that men step up to walk them to where they need to go... to their dorm, car, bus stop, doorstep, etc. If men see a woman/women being harrassed, stalked, etc., then step in and tell the men to back off. Offer to accompany the women where they need to go. Call the police. If your friend or colleague is saying creepy and predatory things about women, don't laugh it off or assume that it's harmless, because it very well may not be.

It's not rocket science. Instead of you telling me, or men in general telling scared women in general, that there's nothing men can do, just think for a minute.

Secondly never call other men my brothers. Like we are all in solidarity or something, it never has been and never will be the case!

Fair enough. I apologize.

Let’s not forget the suspect arrested is a police officer, supposed to protect and serve the public. I’ve never believed that since being a kid but that’s another story. So my suggestion for women to feel less afraid of men and powerless is to take up self defence classes, to carry pepper sprays and similar. If women knew how easy it is to put a man on his knees in agony and had practice doing so they would feel much more empowered and confident.

Indeed. My dad made sure I knew that was an option -- and a very good one! I made sure my daughter knew the same.

I agree an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of revenge, but you know what prevents crime the most? Golly gee it’s fear of revenge, retribution or punishment. I would argue that the punishments for violent rape aren’t strong enough, or crime in general. People think in terms of risk vs reward, the risk must overwhelm the reward if we want to prevent crime.

I agree that fear of revenge, or just rewards, can be a deterrent in and of itself. Whether from their victim's menfolk or from the authorities. The problem is that too often there is no such revenge or just rewards coming, that too often there will be no consequences at all, and they do get away with it. Very easily. Too easily.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Flavian

Safety is an illusion if it is promised by anyone or anything other than you.

Oh no, not guns again...

Harrumph.

What?

Where did I mention guns?

I'm talking about safety as a concept. I know this is hard to keep up with, but one is not germane to the other in order for the my argument about safety to be valid.

Most people on this planet do not have access to guns. But they do have access to information, for the most part, and if they wanted to learn jiu-jitsu, threat-assessment & situational awareness training, use of pepper spray or stun gun, or any other proven methods of personal safety, all of which put the onus of safety on the individual where it belongs.

Guns are nothing but tools, like any other, and can only be employed in limited situations that call for deadly force. Not many people have access to guns, even in the US.

It's amazing that you equate that one sentence to the gun issue. You're the only one to bring it up.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I called her a raving lunatic earlier in this thread and her response right there kind of...

"Proves my point" about her being a raving lunatic.

They still can't accept that you can't make blanket statements insulting and denigrating whole chunks of society without having to accept any criticism whatsoever.

Welcome to 2021 Jenny....and well done.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   
If the women would just stay in their kitchens, none of this would even be happening.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Here's some context from the horses mouth.

Since my comments about a curfew for men to keep women safe, I've had a deluge of misogynistic emails and tweets. Which rather proves my point about the problem being with men...
twitter.com...

OMG I called her a horse ! .... Misogynist !!!!

I shouldn't be, but I'm shocked that you or anyone would lower yourself to this level to make such an inane comment...

There is a problem but it isn't with men.

...Just to protect men from themselves.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Being able to prove you were the victim and not the aggressor could be an issue with reasonable force..

The murder rate in the US being four times higher, does that take into account per capita? I don’t really trust these stats most of the time. They are usually about pushing an agenda. If it does hold up do you believe it’s because they have guns and we don’t generally? Or do you think other factors might be a reason for the disparity?

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   
What if I identify as a posh lady, can I still be outside?

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

She certainly knows how to ignite misogyny on a mass scale. If successful.

What a ignorant cow.

As a man...I may be compelled to slaughter a cow after 6pm, and smoke it on my grill...is this the her problem?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join