It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit: Horrible feeling Boris is going to cave in

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: tdk84

And i sincerely hope those plans come to fruition and your group rides out the coming storm just fine.

But hope might not carry the day, and the costs being transferred to the customer might not work out too well nether.

Personally, i suspect a recession the likes of which we have yet to witness, guess only time will tell.

Stop listening to the fear mongers.

The EU are in a panic about there being a no deal. They are finally admitting how bad things will be for them.

The ball is in their court to come up with a " fair deal " Their demands on The UK thus far have been completely over the top.

If Hitler coudn't bomb us into submission, then that lot certainly ain't going to.

Brussels has been urged to compromise, amid fears of the "horrendous" impact of a no deal Brexit on the EU economy. Belgian MEP Geert Bourgeois said that the consequences of a no deal Brexit would cost the EU 1.2 million jobs and far surpass "the disaster of the coronavirus". Mr Bourgeois, who is the former leader of Flanders, also told MEPs that the EU has to draw lessons from Brexit and work to stop other countries from leaving the bloc.

He said: "Everything ought to be done in the last days, in the last hours, to reach an agreement with the UK because the consequences of a no deal are horrendous." The MEP admitted that job losses across the EU would outweigh the losses felt in Britain. He explained: "For the EU we would lose 1.2 million jobs, and this would come over and above the disaster of coronavirus. "The UK would lose half a million jobs. In Flanders, we would lose 2.6 percent of our GDP, and 30,000 jobs alone."

www.express.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 04:16 AM
link   

a reply to: alldaylong

Because a complete no-deal Brexit will only add to the austerity

The thought of a "complete no-deal Brexit" is one that one can barely imagine but looks like it might be on the cards. All this stuff about the Germans scared of losing our markets well if Merkel and Macron decide it they will lose that market and when Russia invaded Ukraine then they did just that. Russia was a massive market for Germanys car makers but that didn't stop Merkel throwing that market in the bin when standing here grounds

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 04:19 AM
link   

We did not need to feed and cater to the demands of 66.65 million poor souls during the Blitz alldaylong, so there is that.

The world spun and connected us in a way we could never have imagined back then.

Brexit will be what it will be alldaylong.

Im sorry if i canny show optimism for something i imagine will go down like a lead balloon.

Que sera, sera eh?

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I think its on the cards now.

They have pushed it as far as it can go, and now they are at the edge of a cliff.

Let's just hope Brexit don't turn out to be a base jump without a parachute.

Coz we will be hard pushed to get the stain out the carpet.
edit on 18-12-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

a reply to: tdk84

And i sincerely hope those plans come to fruition and your group rides out the coming storm just fine.

But hope might not carry the day, and the costs being transferred to the customer might not work out too well nether.

Personally, i suspect a recession the likes of which we have yet to witness, guess only time will tell.

Stop listening to the fear mongers.

The EU are in a panic about there being a no deal. They are finally admitting how bad things will be for them.

The ball is in their court to come up with a " fair deal " Their demands on The UK thus far have been completely over the top.

If Hitler coudn't bomb us into submission, then that lot certainly ain't going to.

Brussels has been urged to compromise, amid fears of the "horrendous" impact of a no deal Brexit on the EU economy. Belgian MEP Geert Bourgeois said that the consequences of a no deal Brexit would cost the EU 1.2 million jobs and far surpass "the disaster of the coronavirus". Mr Bourgeois, who is the former leader of Flanders, also told MEPs that the EU has to draw lessons from Brexit and work to stop other countries from leaving the bloc.

He said: "Everything ought to be done in the last days, in the last hours, to reach an agreement with the UK because the consequences of a no deal are horrendous." The MEP admitted that job losses across the EU would outweigh the losses felt in Britain. He explained: "For the EU we would lose 1.2 million jobs, and this would come over and above the disaster of coronavirus. "The UK would lose half a million jobs. In Flanders, we would lose 2.6 percent of our GDP, and 30,000 jobs alone."

www.express.co.uk...

Exactly! We have them on the run now, much like the Hun back in WWII. No doubt they’ll be begging US for a deal by the end of the day. There will need to be casualties of course, many of the brave fisherman and farmers I know have openly said in private to me that they would be more than happy to fall on the sword for the sake of freedom.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

They can't destroy our economy for a few fishing boats can they? The world's gone mad and with Bozza in charge anything is possible if he hits the cases of wine
Gunboat diplomacy oh my life what a flippin mess

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   
ufoorbhunter:

They can't destroy our economy for a few fishing boats can they?

No, they decimated it under the pretext of a deadly virus, which although real, is not as bad as any other seasonal virus. It is just another we have to live with. If you draw a line in the sand, you have to act whenever usurpers cross it, or you end up constantly bullied.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=25639441] If you draw a line in the sand, you have to act whenever usurpers cross it, or you end up constantly bullied.

Well if Bozza had stuck to his guns he should have thrown himself in his ditch by now!

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
ufoorbhunter:

No, they decimated it under the pretext of a deadly virus, which although real, is not as bad as any other seasonal virus. It is just another we have to live with. If you draw a line in the sand, you have to act whenever usurpers cross it, or you end up constantly bullied.

No it is much worse than a normal seasonal virus.

You are either misinformed or lying, either way please stop.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

A complete no deal will sink the nation into a recession the likes of which we have yet to witness Freeborn.

We've been hearing these prophesies of doom and gloom since the Brexit referendum was first mentioned.
Night still follows day and the world keeps turning, nothing much has changed in that respect.

I have no doubt there will be a certain amount of short term economic suffering.
But let's face it, I'm 55 years old and that's all I've ever really known here in the North East.
Personally I think that a bit more short term pain will definitely be worth the long term gain for my Grandson and his generation.
To be free of the EU shackles and dictates will make it all worth while.

But I can't see the effects of Brexit being as bad as the fear mongers and doomsayers repeatedly predict.
Again just my personal opinion, but I think the fall out from the coronavirus outbreak and the inept management of it by Boris et al could well be more damaging.
A conversation for another thread possibly.

You know i dont imagine you to be a draft arse Britain First type Nigel Farage wannabe.

I know that mate, I was merely trying to make the point that not all, in fact I'd say the vast majority of, Brexit supporters are these ill informed, ignorant, racist, xenophobes that staunch Remainers still insist on trying to portray them as.
Far from it.

But you also know how i feel about Brexit and you how i feel about no-deal whatsoever in place nor lightly to be one.

I do and I respect that.
But the FACT is we are going to leave the EU, that is no longer open to debate.
And its imperative that we get a good deal.
A bad deal that ties us unfavourably to the EU and gives them the upper hand will be far more detrimental long term to this country than a No Deal that allows for further negotiations down the line when both sides see the ramifications of their respective actions and posturing.

We can not allow the EU to have undue influence on UK affairs, that was the whole point of the referendum.
Yes, it seems Boris and his team have been quite ineffective in their negotiating tactics etc but I've really got to say that the EU have been thoroughly unreasonable and quite intimidating.
They are taking a punitive sort of approach seemingly in order to deter any other member states from acting in the same way as the UK.
They simply can not be allowed to succeed.

Brexit happening, i get that, for the better or worse, but it will be worse for quite some time to come.

Probably.....but it'll hardly be akin to some sort of economic dark age as so many of the Remainers seem to think.

We are a resolute, creative and resourceful people.
One way or another we'll be fine.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Perhaps you need to read some broadsheets or the foreign press instead of the Express.

Fact is, Brexit is on the inside pages in the EU press.

It set out its position on day one, it's stuck to its position and prepared for most eventualities from that position. No surprises, no sudden twists, no sneaky traps. The EU is ready for no deal.

We, on the other hand, have a leader elected on an "oven ready deal" which he tore up himself and who can't plan a COVID policy more than a few hours ahead, and an economy that has taken the biggest hit in the developed world.

Bringing Hitler into things is just embarrassing. Until December 2010, we were at the heart of EU decision making. David Cameron threw away all the leverage we'd spent thirty five years building up when he threw a hissy fit to protect UK bankers from too much scrutiny. He could have got the exemption he wanted without damaging our international position but he had only just managed to form a coalition and needed to look like Charlie Big Potatoes. The EU has spent ten years preparing for this. Boris seems to have spent half an hour.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

A bad deal that ties us unfavourably to the EU and gives them the upper hand will be far more detrimental long term to this country than a No Deal that allows for further negotiations down the line when both sides see the ramifications of their respective actions and posturing.

We're going to get a bad deal from any economy or trading bloc bigger than us. All we have to offer is financial services and a market of 70 million people. Cold economic fact.

I'm the same age as you and remember the 80s. Thing is, it wasn't the EU that shafted you up north. It was the same people you're trusting to see you alright in the future. What makes you think they've changed?

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

We did not need to feed and cater to the demands of 66.65 million poor souls during the Blitz alldaylong, so there is that.

We had an empire of half a billion people supporting us during the start of the war.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

The fishing question sums up Britain's situation quite nicely.

We were the only nation that allowed fishermen to sell their quotas to other countries. Everyone else thought their quotas were of national importance and should be kept in the country. The only way we'll get them back without a legal fight is to buy them back - if the foreign fishermen are willing to sell.

We mainly catch fish for export. The fish we consume is caught elsewhere, mainly in EU waters. Both could end up with a tariff on them, meaning our fishing industry will be less competitive and the fish on our plates will be more expensive.

The entire British fishing industry is worth less - and employers fewer people - than Edinburgh University or Harrods.

In short, it's a distraction with very little leverage. It sells well on the front page of the tabloids but won't wash with the serious movers and shakers.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

We were the only nation that allowed fishermen to sell their quotas to other countries. Everyone else thought their quotas were of national importance and should be kept in the country. The only way we'll get them back without a legal fight is to buy them back - if the foreign fishermen are willing to sell.

We mainly catch fish for export. The fish we consume is caught elsewhere, mainly in EU waters. Both could end up with a tariff on them, meaning our fishing industry will be less competitive and the fish on our plates will be more expensive.

The entire British fishing industry is worth less - and employers fewer people - than Edinburgh University or Harrods.

In short, it's a distraction with very little leverage. It sells well on the front page of the tabloids but won't wash with the serious movers and shakers.

Many of the fisherman and farmers I know who voted for Brexit would be more than happy to retrain in other careers for the sake of our sovereignty. My good friend, Garret, a sheep farmer in Yorkshire admitted to me that he’d always harboured an ambition to go into hairdressing. Mind you, judging by his sheep, I wouldn’t let him anywhere near my head with a pair of scissors!
edit on 18-12-2020 by DougHole64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

It set out its position on day one, it's stuck to its position and prepared for most eventualities from that position

Who told you that ? As of a month ago The EU had made zero plans for No Deal.

At a virtual summit of EU leaders Thursday, French President Emmanuel Macron, Belgian Prime Minister Alexander De Croo and his Dutch counterpart Mark Rutte all called on the bloc to make contingency plans in case talks to sign a trade and security agreement fail.

www.bloomberg.com...

And this from 8 days ago.

EU chief Ursula von der Leyen on Thursday published a back-up plan to protect road and air travel and fishing rights if Britain leaves the union without a trade deal.

www.france24.com...

To make you happy, those are not from The Daily Express.

The EU had no preperations prepared in case of a No Deal. They always believed that The UK would submit to their proposals. Fortunately it didn't work out that way.

Bringing Hitler into things is just embarrassing.

Walter Hallstein who was the architect for what would become The EU was a legal representative for Nazi Germany.

Maybe that's why i bought it in.

we were at the heart of EU decision making. David Cameron threw away all the leverage we'd spent thirty five years building up

Cameron went with a short list of reforms The UK wanted from The EU. Every one of them was turned down.

So much for The UK being part of EU decision making.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well. if your a business man selling a product which free market would you choose,68 million people or 448 million people?
That's 68 million people of the UK to 448 million people in the EU, but you can't have the access to the 448 without paying export duty to leave the UK then import duty in the country your shipping to. Why? Because you didn't like Hitler or "no foreigners are going to tell me what to do". Or the real biggie "our sovereignty", what the hell is our sovereignty?

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Why?

Because we are a democracy.

More people wanted to leave The EU than those that wanted to stay in. All had their own reasons why they wanted OUT.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

Very interesting and educational information there Whodathunkdatcheese, never looked into this quota thing but it a real wakeupcall if that's what we are dealing with, no wonder the EU wants to keep fishing in British allocated seas.

I really hope Boris is just going through the motions in an effort to please those tabloids while at the same time ready to give a little so as to avoid any WTO tariffs on future trade with all of our neighbouring countries. Crazy days on the poker table

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Thing is, it wasn't the EU that shafted you up north.

Maybe not, but they haven't helped us either.

Never seen any EU funding here.
No major construction projects funded by the EU or investment in our infrastructure.

I've travelled a lot throughout Europe and regularly see 'Funded by the EU' signs, never seen one in North East England.

I agree that the political establishment in the UK have screwed us for years; The Tories just wrote us off as some sort of hinterland and Labour took us for granted.
But I very much doubt the EU was ever aware that we even existed.

It was the same people you're trusting to see you alright in the future.

I don't trust anyone, least of all politicians and the establishment elite.
And I really don't understand why you think I do?

What makes you think they've changed?

I don't.
What makes you think that I think they've changed?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join