It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Mattress Advice Recommendations

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Months ago I asked for a new Coffee Maker recommendation, and ATS hit it out of the park. Seriously, you guys
helped me buy the best coffee maker (Bunn)

So now I'm in the mattress market. I currently have an innerspring Sealy posturepedic (don't ask how old) lets
just say it might be older than some members on here.
Well I quickly found out they just don't make them like that anymore, mattresses seem to be somewhat disposable now.

I know mattresses are quite personal and based on how you like to sleep.
From true reviews it doesn't seem anyone likes their mattresses anymore.

So.............many...........foam.........mattresses....
What happened to the innerspring??

I've been looking at hybrids, but the reviews don't look good.
Sealy used to be a good brand, now it seems kinda junky...
What am I missing?

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
My thoughts after leaving a water bed behind in spring...
Just buy a foam mattress, no springy sprongy or fancy science.

There are good once for cheap, I don't know about endurance (how long it will keep shape) but at 90€ it was on the lower scale of mattresses. I sleep good on it and as I wrote, I am used to the comfortable waterbed. It insulates good, too. These things should be exchanged either way after x years.

Scary fact:
Ask any waterbed owner, the stuff that we clean off from the vinyl surface of the water core, normally falls into the mattress. Where tiny creatures live, feeding from it. They are everywhere, even on your face right now.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Scary fact:
Ask any waterbed owner, the stuff that we clean off from the vinyl surface of the water core, normally falls into the mattress. Where tiny creatures live, feeding from it. They are everywhere, even on your face right now.

Yes it's totally gross, pillows too..

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   

We've been sleeping on the same futon for over 20 years. 10 years on the Duvet.

Gifted a couple of "My Pillows" and we threw them away. But love the Boll and Branch sheets.

edit on 8-12-2020 by olaru12 because: I'm not Hispanic

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Best thing I ever did was go to a mattress store. They have a mattress that you lay on and it analyzes your pressure points, they way you like to sleep, etc. It recommends the best for you. I was impressed with how accurate it was. Love the one I got.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Don't go for really soft ones! I'd wanted one for years, 7 months later with mid and lower back pains I've realised I need a medium/firm 😕

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   
We bought a Zinus hybrid 14" in September after I literally did weeks of research. Got it through Amazon, ordered a new frame & headboard through Wayfair. No regrets at all. It's the most comfortable bed we've ever owned and it was under a grand for both, California King size. Standard sizes are cheaper.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Months ago I asked for a new Coffee Maker recommendation, and ATS hit it out of the park. Seriously, you guys
helped me buy the best coffee maker (Bunn)

So now I'm in the mattress market. I currently have an innerspring Sealy posturepedic (don't ask how old) lets
just say it might be older than some members on here.
Well I quickly found out they just don't make them like that anymore, mattresses seem to be somewhat disposable now.

I know mattresses are quite personal and based on how you like to sleep.
From true reviews it doesn't seem anyone likes their mattresses anymore.

So.............many...........foam.........mattresses....
What happened to the innerspring??

I've been looking at hybrids, but the reviews don't look good.
Sealy used to be a good brand, now it seems kinda junky...
What am I missing?

I actually sold mattresses a lifetime ago.. Do you live near the Midwest, WI/IL area, if so, Verlo Mattress.. They make 2-sided mattresses, so you can flip it every 6 months.. mattress lasts longer.. I used to love my Verlo mattress..

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:21 PM
link   

How do you sleep?

Side sleeper, back, stomach?

From what I heard, that's the most important way to find the right one.

I'm a strictly side sleeper... I'd get sore shoulders every once in a while that could last a long time.

I did more research than I'm proud of which led me to the most sissy mattress I could find. It's called layla (lol), but it has one super soft side, and if you flip it it's medium. Figured I'd have two shots at success given shipping and what not.

I roll with the side that let's me sink and my shoulders thank me for it.

But I'd do research based off how you sleep. Find the one sleepers like you say is the best.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:21 PM
link   

May mates got one of these. Reckons it's the bomb. Seriously, 20-Year Warranty....nuff said I reckon.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   

The "My Pillow" mattress topper.

It actually works over any mattress.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt
Buy from wayfair, then reverse the charge on your credit card.

F wayfair.

I noticed a slight color variation on our headboard so I emailed them a picture and said I just wanted them to know it looked irregular to me. They immediately refunded 25% of the cost, something I didn't ask for or expect.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Buying a mattress might be a bit difficult now with the pandemic. You know..., going to the store and try them.

If I had the money, I'd buy a bed like those ones in hospitals with a control to customize the positioning. Add a walk-in tub to that to complete the combo.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   

We had to get a foam mattress because of old stairwell issues. We love it. If there's still a mattress store near you go lay on some. We got a really firm one, and it's perfect, plus, the mattress stores are hurting for business because of all the online mattress retailers. They've got some pretty good deals on what is essentially the same product you'd get from the bigger online retailers. And they throw in free pillows, mattress toppers, whatever they can.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Just went through this fiasco with mattress firm.
The in store was comfy, the delivered was comcrete.
Long line about new shoes breaking in canned response.
100 dollar return fee.
I hate foam with a passion. Hot and deforming. They even market a cool foam now.
It wasn't cool or cool in the store.
Your firmness depends on your sleeping style and body shape.
A side sleeper with wide hips needs a plush so the hips can sink in enough to make spine straight or you will have wicked lower back pain.
My wife and I are side sleepers with small hips and did the plush pillowtop. Serta Willowbrook.
It was 1200, got it on sale for 800. The first one was 600 and a major mistake.
This new one is ridiculous.
Worth every penny. My rents have some real high end ones and this one smokes them on comforr imo.
I'm building a Japanese floating frame for it now.
The double cool thing is the mattress is thick enough that it doesn't require a squeaky, expensive box spring.
So you get that cool contemporary Japanese style look and save dough.

edit on 12 by Mandroid7 because: Ad vid

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I asked my friend a furniture salesman once why there are so many mattress stores. He said because the mark up is astronomical.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Ok how do you sleep? Alon? cuddled? With pets? Honest question. I spend over $1700 trying to find something so? a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Indeed, it's almost criminal and international practice. The prices can often not be justified. I know that big items cost a lot of storage space and transportation costs, that are calculated into the price but a 500% markup is robbery.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

That's one reason I encase my mattress/spring/pillows/shams/euro shams in dust mite proof covers.

Just buy a foam mattress,

I had a foam topper before I got my new mattress, and have also slept on other foam toppers. While comfortable, I didn't like them because they retain too much heat for me and don't breathe well.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join