It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And Then They Came for the Literature

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Did the metal and prog stuff. Still listen to it occasionally. Seen opeth and mastodon live. Lol and and dethklok at the same show. Was into death metal for a bit, seen cannibal corpse, got scarred up during a necrophagist, dying fetus show. That stuffs too much for me now. Last time i was in a mosh pit was for ska fest a couple years ago. I can't keep up with the kids these days man. Body's too sore.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Did the metal and prog stuff. Still listen to it occasionally. Seen opeth and mastodon live. Lol and dethklok at the same show. Was into death metal for a bit, seen cannibal corpse, got scarred up during a necrophagist, dying fetus show. That stuffs too much for me now. Last time i was in a mosh pit was for ska fest a couple years ago. I can't keep up with the kids these days man. Body's too sore. That music tends to be too angry and aggressive for me these days. Some dude hammering out arpeggios while another dude screams.and another dude fires out blast beats is just not really what I enjoy listening to these days.

For a long time though, me and a Buddy of mine competed to see who could learn to play the fastest most aggressive riffs and and solos. I think he won in the end I dunno, I started playing more acoustic stuff, kinda gave up the metal and punk.
edit on 17/11/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Did the metal and prog stuff. Still listen to it occasionally. Seen opeth and mastodon live. Lol and and dethklok at the same show. Was into death metal for a bit, seen cannibal corpse, got scarred up during a necrophagist, dying fetus show. That stuffs too much for me now. Last time i was in a mosh pit was for ska fest a couple years ago. I can't keep up with the kids these days man. Body's too sore.

Opeth and Mastodon, good bands to see!, I hear ya on keeping up with the kids..been a few times at shows, me and my bud look around, and feel just a tad out of place, and no go on the mosh pit..just about got crushed at Lamb Of God

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I'm just surprised the list doesn't include 1984, Brave New World, or Atlas Shrugged.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   

That show didn't even have a pit, it was at the center for performing arts or something. It was a theater with actual seats. Probably the weirdest place i've seen a metal show, also seen the Australian Pink Floyd show there. Now that was a hell of a show. In the top 5 concerts i've been to for sure. They did the whole wall album, a bunch of wish you were here and the entire animals album, with a giant inflatable pig and all. Sounded really close to the real thing and put on a great show. Really great cover band all around.

Nah man, you gotta rock harder than those little mofos, even if you gotta work the next day and are a grown up with responsibilities, you gotta show those little #s how to rock.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

That music tends to be too angry and aggressive for me these days. Some dude hammering out arpeggios while another dude screams.and another dude fires out blast beats is just not really what I enjoy listening to these days.

For a long time though, me and a Buddy of mine competed to see who could learn to play the fastest most aggressive riffs and and solos. I think he won in the end I dunno, I started playing more acoustic stuff.

I feel you on that, I do have less patience these days, I don't enjoy the blast beats and super harsh vocals all the time, it has to be more interesting to me. Still enjoy the classic stuff, but much of the new bores me.

I love guitar, have some nice ones, never going to be a great player though

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   

That's the thing, a lot of those players are pretty technically brilliant, but these days I'd rather play simpler stuff with more soul and feeling. It's cool and all to be able to sweep pick through the mixolydian scale, but meh, I'd rather finger pick out some blues or something.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   
This is happening because the generation is too brainwashed to understand the importance of MEANING and just get mad at words. If you defend them, you are them. [YOU ARE MAKING ME A WRITER YOU FOOLS]

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   

That show didn't even have a pit, it was at the center for performing arts or something. It was a theater with actual seats. Probably the weirdest place i've seen a metal show, also seen the Australian Pink Floyd show there. Now that was a hell of a show. In the top 5 concerts i've been to for sure. They did the whole wall album, a bunch of wish you were here and the entire animals album, with a giant inflatable pig and all. Sounded really close to the real thing and put on a great show. Really great cover band all around.

Nah man, you gotta rock harder than those little mofos, even if you gotta work the next day and are a grown up with responsibilities, you gotta show those little #s how to rock.

I saw King Diamond a year ago in a theatre type setting, was really good there, as it was a theatrical type show. Alice In Chains at same theatre..that was good too. Would love to see Brit Floyd or the Aussie one..I hear both are stellar shows. I did see Floyd, but sans Rogers.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   

That's the thing, a lot of those players are pretty technically brilliant, but these days I'd rather play simpler stuff with more soul and feeling. It's cool and all to be able to sweep pick through the mixolydian scale, but meh, I'd rather finger pick out some blues or something.

It's funny..and sobering to see 8 year old girls sweep picking on youtube.

I like playing around with reverbs, ambient kind of weirdo stuff.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   

King diamond and Alice in chains would have been good shows, now that you mention It, i seen Alice cooper at the same place, got to watch him hang himself.

I don't keep up with a lot of the guitar players on youtube so much, there's a lot of awesome ones though, found this Alaskan, or yukonion native dude, dunno, that does these awesome acoustic covers of tool and rage against the machine and stuff. There's a lot of awesome fingerstyle players like Andy McKee, some folksy people like Anaise Mitchell and Sarah Jarosz,. Tons of other great guitar players and musicians.

People that do those loop things and play multiple instruments. I enjoy Leo Moriachi and his leap frog studios metal covers. There's just so much awesome music being produced today.

I really love music, most music regardless of genre, there's so much of it out there being made by so many amazing talented people.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Annee

Then why are we still teaching them about all the horrors of it in history? Isn't that equally about all those "anitquated" ideas and prejudices?

Additionally, reading about in a good story makes the idea far more "human" than simply learning the dry fact of it in history. You feel what the characters felt meaning you feel the horrors of being segregated, a slave, etc.

I don’t agree children need this shoved in their face at school.

They deal with it enough in real life.

But you DO agree they need pedophilia shoved in their face

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I love music too, love records, vaccuum tube anps, big horn speakers..I live for that stuff, and familiar with those players, McKee blew me away, check out Jon Gomm, for that kind of stuff.

Was supposed to see Rage end of march, Tool was end of May.

I guess enough thread hijacking for now..lol
edit on 17-11-2020 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Lol I suppose, I guess this was originally about censoring Mark Twain or something. Everybody always wants to censor Mark Twain though, that's how you know he's awesome. People have been wanting to censor Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer for years. Still hasn't happened yet. This issue comes up every few.years, doesn't seem worth it any more, Mark Twain ain't goin' nowhere.
edit on 18/11/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 12:00 AM
link   

People have been wanting to censor Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer for years. Still hasn't happened yet.

And I hope they never do..booo to any censorship!

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Mark Twain's not going anywhere, that stuff's public domain now. People complain about racism in that # every couple years it's a cycle. But yeah, censorship is some bull#, I agree on that.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Cheers, enjoyed the convo..It's cool to connect on something, even if not on same page always

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 12:14 AM
link   
"It was a pleasure to burn.

It was a special pleasure to see things eaten, to see things blackened and changed. With the brass nozzle in his fists, with this great python spitting its venomous kerosene upon the world, the blood pounded in his head, and his hands were the hands of some amazing conductor playing all the symphonies of blazing and burning to bring down the tatters and charcoal ruins of history. With his symbolic helmet numbered 451 on his stolid head, and his eyes all orange flame with the thought of what came next, he flicked the igniter and the house jumped up in a gorging fire that burned the evening sky red and yellow and black. He strode in a swarm of fireflies. He wanted above all, like the old joke, to shove a marshmallow on a stick in the furnace, while the flapping pigeon-winged books died on the porch and lawn of the house. While the books went up in sparkling whirls and blew away on a on a wind turned dark with burning."

Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Have we disagreed before? I dunno I don't pay attention to that #. Was some good thread derailing though. I'll ramble on about.l music with anyone that wants to listen. Take care. You're right, this thread's thoroughly off the tracks now.

posted on Nov, 18 2020 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Teaching children to fear words and stories will set them up for failure. Giving children the strength to explore literature, to not fear the minds and expressions of other men, will help them gain valuable wisdom.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join