It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And Then They Came for the Literature

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

The scary thing is that it sounds like some people here are ripe to repeat it even though we could be learning from it.

I fully agree that kids who are reading should be encouraged. I've been blessed with a reader although mine's more into stuff like Percy Jackson and Wings of Fire. He and I are working through The Hunger Games together right now as a "team" read. He's a boy, so he's all into the action, but we talk about what's going on and why too.

Let me know when you guys read The Three Musketeers. I have a late 1800's hardcover, both of mine have read it. It'll make heads explode if kiddos read something written by a bi-racial French-Haitian guy, especially considering Porthos' escapades with women, booze and food.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

I used to be against banning these classics for kids, until I recently re-read them. Even the Hardy Boys — while looking for classics for my grandson.

I have changed my mind after reading them.

With millions of books at our disposal, there is zero reason to subject today’s children to these antiquated thoughts, ideas, and prejudices.

Who cares if someone deemed them classics —they are not necessary.

The debate within the district comes after a summer of mass protests calling for an end to the unjust treatment of Black people. As a result, many institutions and school districts like BUSD are taking a hard look at themselves, their policies, curriculums and practices, in many cases publishing antiracist statements. And while book banning has a long history in America, the situation in Burbank — once a sundown town that practiced racial segregation — is freshly complicated. www.latimes.com...

No offence Annee but with the commentary I see from you, you're hardly a yardstick of reasonable thought.

Why not let the kids be exposed to historically offensive language to start the conversation around why it's wrong today, why we no longer use it and discuss how we move forward and treat people?

Banning and cancelling everything is the mindset of children who lack the IQ points to departmentalise and properly analyse sensitive issues.

It's the cowards path to simply stick your head in the sand.

Because, you’re a Right Wing Traditionalist?

Am I? I find that quite interesting seeing as I struggle to label myself.

Indicative of your level of thinking though - anybody who thinks differently to or challenges your opinions is automatically the opposite of you and put in a neat little box so you don't have to actually think for yourself or challenge your beliefs.

The fact that you provide a six word response to some reasonable thoughts and questions says it all.

Sorry I hurt your brain.

My opinion stands.

I’m well aware of the majority demographic of this board.

Which is why I’m not going to debate. Somewhere else I might.

Have a good day.

Thanks Annee you just summed up everything that is wrong with todays society.

You're outspoken yet uninformed and when you are challenged and presented with some ideas outside of your limited paradigm (programming) you simply start name calling, pidgeon holing and then refuse to engage.

I'll be here anytime you want your liberal media talking points respectfully challenged

You also have a great day.
edit on 17112020 by IAMALLYETALLIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Nah not so much, Cypress Hill was noticable.

A brotha like me is goin' insane and such.

Yeah, Vinnie Paz can be a bit much. He's pretty nuts. He's got some good beats though.

Honestly, i've been digging the European reggae music these days. It stays pretty non PC, while being about political issues.

Reminds me of old punk rock.

Plus it's got some great bass grooves. It tends to mix a lot of genres. I've been digging Mungo's Hi Fi for years. They put out some streamed covid show lately that remixes a bunch of old Hip-Hop, KRS-One and stuff.

Most new rap is pretty meh. This other stuff kinda crosses the bridge between rap and a whole bunch of other genres.

There's a giant world of that kind of music out there. Mostly self produced or small producers free from influence of record companies and bull#.

Like I said, it's about the closest thing that carries the spirit of old school punk i've found in this day and age.
edit on 17/11/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Ahhh yep although B-Real being Mexican perhaps the N bombs not considered viable for them anymore? I dunno.

Agree with new rap being sucktastic, most new rap I listen to is from the UK grime style as it's completely original and innovative although the themes can be a bit juvenile and it can get old.

Now at 32 and a different level of maturity I've been listening to a lot more roots, folk, acoustic, country type stuff and having an absolute ball exploring it. Even started learning guitar a few months ago.

Will have to check out the european reggae, love me some reggae. Ever heard of Groundation? Reggae band from Cali....absolutely phenomenal!

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It isn't just literature now I think about it.

There is a seemingly continuous movement to damnatio memoriae the works of Richard Wagner in "progressive" music circles. This is not on the basis of musical merit, as Wagner's Operas are amongst the most important and well known from the 19th century. It is due to the beliefs of Wagner.

See, old Richard Wagner was an anti-semite. Clearly this means all of his work is worthless. Despite the fact that at the time period anti-semitism was a commonly held stance. Ergo you cannot enjoy Wagner's Operas without being an anti-semite yourself.

In the future all cultural products, music, literature, art, film etc. will presumably be made by a machine to be as inoffensive as possible and only promote the corporate-approved belief.

A bleak and joyless future but it is the one that awaits us if these censor happy Trotskyites have their way.
edit on 17112020 by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I used to be against banning these classics for kids, until I recently re-read them. Even the Hardy Boys — while looking for classics for my grandson.

I have changed my mind after reading them.

With millions of books at our disposal, there is zero reason to subject today’s children to these antiquated thoughts, ideas, and prejudices.

Who cares if someone deemed them classics —they are not necessary.

The debate within the district comes after a summer of mass protests calling for an end to the unjust treatment of Black people. As a result, many institutions and school districts like BUSD are taking a hard look at themselves, their policies, curriculums and practices, in many cases publishing antiracist statements. And while book banning has a long history in America, the situation in Burbank — once a sundown town that practiced racial segregation — is freshly complicated. www.latimes.com...

Did the thought ever enter your head that instead of being banned, you just don't read them to children? I mean look at it this way, I don't read Charles Bukowski to children, and that is my choice, but I certainly don't think his books should be banned.

Seriously, so many times I read your opinions and I wonder what country you were raised in or how in the world you EVER get any of the thoughts that exist in your head.

A question, should so called "leftist" fiction be read to children? Should trannies read books about their lifestyles to children? If so, why? and if so, why would the books you mention be so much more harmful to children? Don't just say they are, give me a reason why.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Once upon a time, Hitler was banned, and it made him look cool, instead of a rambling mad man.

Then WW2 happened after they un censored due to a popular vote.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Yeah i've heard of them. It was Sublime that got me into that kind of music. I like that California reggae punk stuff, though nothing comes close to sublime. Bradley was something else when it came to music production and song writing. He goes greatly underappreciated.

Can't find it on youtube, but there's a bootleg out there called Rewind Selecta, it mixes sublime songs withhe original songs that infuenced them and introduces the idea of reggae riddims and the whole culture and remixing and re-releasing that exists with that kind of music.

It's what music looks like free of artificial copyright restraints limited only by human creativity. It's all thanks to extremely lax Jamaican copyright laws during the 50's-90's such music or even rap and hip-hop, drum and bass or a lot of genres exists at all. You'd be surprised how many songs are variations of reggae riddims

Even things like

This remix of the real rock riddim used in the snes game Earthbound.

This is a remix of

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gnawledge
In this internet age rife with crazy, if a kid is reading ANY literature, hell, Mein Kampf or The Anarchist's Cookbook - it's a good thing.

Maybe kids will learn to spell at least.

They are already over-exposed all day everday to hatred, vice, and nonsense. Better if it's read, I think.

Great point - I was going to use Mein Kampf as an example.

Say we ban it and remove all discussion and commentary around it's wrongs and the evil it helped to wreak upon the world and soon enough we forget those lessons that people paid in blood for.

Cancel culture needs to be cancelled.

Agreed. The things (racism primarily) discussed, often openly flaunted, in these books is not gone today. It hasn't disappeared. They just used different words and methods back then. It's necessary to go further back into the source of a thing to understand it. We'd have to go to back a hell of a lot further than Huck Finn but, you know...

The fear of doing that gets society nowhere.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I find reading to and writing to be one of the great joys in life. Any expressive art form really. Some of my faves whether it be South Park or Shakespeare, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Dave Chapelle, Sublime, James Brown, Foo Fighters, Shuggie Otis, Otis Redding, Sam Cook, The Pixies, Bonnie Rait, Jimi Hendrix, NIN, Beastie Boys, Snoop, Atmosphere, CCR, Tom Robbins, Christopher Moore, Steinbeck, Emily Dickinson, Jules Verne, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Henry Miller, Bokowski, H. S. Thompson, Michael Chricton, Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Picasso, Da Vinci, Robespierre, Voltaire, Maya Angelou, Robert Frost, Stanley Kubrick and even goddamn Michael Bay.

These people and so many more artists make life FUN and worth living. And sometimes they themselves are and their lives were the biggest controversy as is their art. But hey, who am I to judge.

“We’re all just breaking like waves”- Pearl Jam

I won’t get into explorers or scientists (Kepler, Galileo, T. Brahe, Freud, Jung, J Campbell, Lewis and Clark etc.) here. But you guys get the idea. These people and so many more have made this kid a happy man....#learningiscool
edit on 17-11-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   
And to cut in on dug88 and your's music talk...speaking to censorship.

I have a memory of being in 5th grade when 2 Live Crew (sp?) emerged. I had a copy recorded from a friend recorded from a friend...etc. and was listening to it in my room when my mom walked in.

Every part of that album was raunchy. Know what she did? Asked what I was listening to, shook her head, said, "this is crap. Are there even instruments? Do they just swear?" She listened a bit, said, try harder...and shut the door.

Thing is, she let me listen to it. And I quickly learned she was right. The ...and Justice for All Metallica album was so much better. LOL

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm ok with it as long as they make 1984 required reading.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gnawledge

I find music censorship to be odd these days. On one hand you've got some of the most awful music i've heard in my life like that WAP song that remains on youtube uncensored and has a Starbucks drink named after it, meanwhile, songs from my childhood are more censored on youtube than they were on much music (Canada's MTV with slightly less censorship than MTV), or the radio at the time

Lyrics like Damien Marley's

'Ten pound pound of weed in a backpack, the smell after your girlfriend's contact'

Or

The entire last verse of Stan by Eminem get censored.

Meanwhile

'Yeah i've got a wet ass pussy, come touch my wet ass pussy'

Or whatever, remain uncensored...

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Yeah i've heard of them. It was Sublime that got me into that kind of music. I like that California reggae punk stuff, though nothing comes close to sublime. Bradley was something else when it came to music production and song writing. He goes greatly underappreciated.

Can't find it on youtube, but there's a bootleg out there called Rewind Selecta, it mixes sublime songs withhe original songs that infuenced them and introduces the idea of reggae riddims and the whole culture and remixing and re-releasing that exists with that kind of music.

It's what music looks like free of artificial copyright restraints limited only by human creativity. It's all thanks to extremely lax Jamaican copyright laws during the 50's-90's such music or even rap and hip-hop, drum and bass or a lot of genres exists at all. You'd be surprised how many songs are variations of reggae riddims

Even things like

This remix of the real rock riddim used in the snes game Earthbound.

This is a remix of

Thanks man! Will have a listen.

I once seen a Sublime tribute/cover band on a cruise in the Caribbean and vowed to check them out after that as I'd not heard them before.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   

If you dig that California surfer punk rock reggae vibe type stuff, those guys invented it and are probably the best still in the genre. Don't bother with that sublime with Rome #. Bradley was that band. It's shame what they've done since he died.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gnawledge
And to cut in on dug88 and your's music talk...speaking to censorship.

I have a memory of being in 5th grade when 2 Live Crew (sp?) emerged. I had a copy recorded from a friend recorded from a friend...etc. and was listening to it in my room when my mom walked in.

Every part of that album was raunchy. Know what she did? Asked what I was listening to, shook her head, said, "this is crap. Are there even instruments? Do they just swear?" She listened a bit, said, try harder...and shut the door.

Thing is, she let me listen to it. And I quickly learned she was right. The ...and Justice for All Metallica album was so much better. LOL

Please do cut in! Thing is if you try and ban things from kids it just makes the allure oh so more attractive to them.

I'll take Slayer over Metallica any day!

When I was 13 my old man found Wu-Tang lyrics I'd printed off and went off his nut at me because he thought I was listening to some Nazi, white supremacist hate music about shooting n*****..... oh the irony

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

I'm ok with it as long as they make 1984 required reading.

These days they'd teach it as the proper way to run a society.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Book banning is always bad but the real horror will come when they start rewriting problematic books like Orwell predicted. Give the story a totally new meaning, or even an opposite meaning.

Once we start erasing and rewriting or history systematically (it already happens on a small scale) we are doomed. Civilizational Alzheimer's.

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   

This story reminds me of this movie...

posted on Nov, 17 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Annee

Then why are we still teaching them about all the horrors of it in history? Isn't that equally about all those "anitquated" ideas and prejudices?

Additionally, reading about in a good story makes the idea far more "human" than simply learning the dry fact of it in history. You feel what the characters felt meaning you feel the horrors of being segregated, a slave, etc.

I don’t agree children need this shoved in their face at school.

They deal with it enough in real life.

Then they shouldn't be forced to deal with gender identity issues in f'ing elementary school. It didn't use to be this way either, now they're trying to teach this BS to kids who can't decide what f'ing lunch option to have. In some schools like in Oak Park, Colorado, the parents aren't allowed to opt out either so a bunch of them kept their kids home that day. Kids this age don't have the mental capacity to process things like that and it's wrong to do that to them and they don't need that shoved in their faces.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join