It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is every cold we get this winter to be treated like we have Covid?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 09:07 PM
link   
So how does it work now; is every cold we get this winter to be treated like we have Covid?

So the family has a few things going on health wise; My wife and I have had a headache; my youngest has a runny nose; and my oldest threw up a few times yesterday and is complaining of a stomach irritation.

In 2019 I would have assumed my wife, youngest and I are suffering allergy symptoms as summer turns to fall; and my oldest had a bad taco at taco bell two nights ago when we picked up a quick bight to eat after house hunting.

But its 2020; am I supposed to quarantine the family for 14 days? Call everyone we have contacted the last few days and tell them we are sick? Keep the kids home from school Monday though I am assuming this will all have passed by then?

What happens when the kids get a real cold this winter? They always do.
edit on 3-10-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Yes

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

My daughter came down this morning saying it burned when she peed. UTI consequence of a recent bubble bath. She had a fever of 99.9. Of course her pediatrician is close so I took her to convenient care in town. The wanted to do a covid test anyway. I said we would pass. The nurse practitioner we saw said she "strongly recommended" the covid test due to her symptoms. I asked if burning with urination was a common symptom of covid and she, of course, said no. I asked her if its a common symptom of a UTI. Of course it is. She still said she *insisted*. I told her she was free to "insist" for her own children, but never for mine. I told her I "insisted" she call in the Dr she worked under. She checked the urinalysis and confirmed the UTI, called in the antibiotic and we left.

Yes. Every single time there is an opportunity for them to test, they will "insist".

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   

No. Most people don't run to the doctor for just a cold.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I was wondering about this in light of all the wildfires we've had recently in the PNW. I had a scratchy throat from all the smoke and had to go several places where they asked if I'd had any symptoms of COVID, including a sore throat. Honestly wanted to say "WTF do you think? Have you looked outside? We're breathing the same smoke day in day out, right?"

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
So how does it work now; is every cold we get this winter to be treated like we have Covid?

So the family has a few things going on health wise; My wife and I have had a headache; my youngest has a runny nose; and my oldest threw up a few times yesterday and is complaining of a stomach irritation.

In 2019 I would have assumed my wife, youngest and I are suffering allergy symptoms as summer turns to fall; and my oldest had a bad taco at taco bell two nights ago when we picked up a quick bight to eat after house hunting.

But its 2020; am I supposed to quarantine the family for 14 days? Call everyone we have contacted the last few days and tell them we are sick? Keep the kids home from school Monday though I am assuming this will all have passed by then?

What happens when the kids get a real cold this winter? They always do.

Of course, the common cold / flu will be assumed to be COVID. The symptoms are so generic, pretty much any sniffle can be assumed to be C19. You best believe they will use the normal flu season to keep everyone locked down.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbass

No. Most people don't run to the doctor for just a cold.

They will now, i.e. most people will.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Uh, a common cold is Covid! It is just a variation on the same virus.

And because it is the “common cold” type means it is very contagious.

So, how we not treat any respiratory illness like it is not Covid and want to live??

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I have a cold right now, just typical common cold symptoms. It should be over in a few days, they usually do not last too long with me. My wife also has one, hers is a little more coughy, but using Zand lozengers pretty much clears it up for a few hours. They are the elderberry zinc ones, they work good.

My daughter just got some sort of virus, brought her chicken soup today. She says it seems like some kind of virus and she has a ninety nine point five temperature. Her husband just flew out to work in Utah yesterday and he told his supervisor who was driving them out to the mining camp he should wear his mask in the car, his wife had the sniffles turn into some coughing and he did not want to give the cold or whatever to anyone else, not really like covid, even the doctor said it was probably not covid the day before when she went there to have her tendon in her hand checked out. But he was not allowed to go to camp, the company is sending him back home tomorrow morning on a jet, and he has to quarantine for fourteen days and get tested. She can't get a covid test till tuesday, the doctor said it is not covid, but she has to prove it is not covid or he cannot go back to work. So, on top of that, she has to report it as a covid like illness to satisfy the company and I get to be quarantined too because I gave him a ride to the airport....he has to provide evidence to the company that everything is covid free, now he missed his cycle and has to wait for a month and a week to go to work. Twelve hours on twelve off, seven days a week, megabucks down the tube in the twenty four days off that he is supposed to be working this cycle.

All because he mentioned to the driver his wife had a cold and he thought it would be good to wear a mask on the five hour ride with other guys to the job site. Probably around six grand grand in lost wages ....because she is coughing, and she even had the doctor say it was probably not covid the day before, and he would not give her a test because symptoms did not match. But the company does not want to take a chance, zero tollerance if someone in the family is sick they have to be tested and he has to have evidence that the sickness is not covid.

That sucks.....I have to pick him up at the airport tomorrow and give him a ride home...he is not sick at all, not even a sniffle. I on the other hand have a mild cold, so does the wife, not at all like any covid symptoms. I had symptoms like covid in late February, and got over that after a couple weeks or more, but at the time, the wife went in for a sore chest and coughing and they had no tests and said it did not match covid symptoms at the time....now they would. We are alive, so who cares. I cannot go in for an antigen test, there is none available around here.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Doesn't matter, trump said we would have a vaccine before the election. A wonderful vaccine!!

www.bloomberg.com...

don't hold your breath....
edit on 3-10-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Saw a news report not too long ago that in Pittsburgh area elementary schools a kid sneezed a couple of times. Was taken to the nurse. Parents called to pick up the child. Now the child has to test negative to go back to school.

The insanity is getting bad.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Well yeah, everyone's going to be seriously paranoid about having covid. If I got sick with something, it'd be the first thing in my mind too.

All other illnesses still exist. All of the cold bugs, strep throats, flu bugs, stomach flu, upper respiratory infections, everything. None of it went away and people will undoubtably catch them just like every other year. We're so afraid of coronavirus that it'll send us into panic attacks when we get sore throats and coughs.

What really sucks is how it'll factor into work. Every other winter, co-workers would think nothing of it if you had a nagging cough or a sore throat. Now, they'll all be terrified and your boss might tell you that you can't come back to work until you have a doctor's note saying you don't have covid. Social distancing, masks, and better hygiene collectively should help cut down on transmission of the bugs. When we get one, it'll seem that much scarier.

Personally, I'd hide the fact that I felt ill at work, obviously. If I didn't feel so ill that I had to stay home, I certainly wont be talking about it at work because work is survival, for me at least, and others like me who live from paycheck to paycheck.

In previous years, we'd be open about feeling sick to maybe get sympathy at work, lighten our load, not anymore. Faking sickness to have a day off is out of the question now too, a common tactic so many people have used, including myself. Your boss will tell you that you cant come back without a doctor's note. One day of lost pay was sometimes strategic; two or three or more can become catastrophic.
edit on 3-10-2020 by quix0tic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Over the next 30 days, we'll see more dire warnings from Hillary Clinton's buddy, Dr. Anthony Fauci.

Love Note Images from Fauci to Hillary: theconservativetreehouse.com...

Keep your eyes on the GRAPHS at this website: covidtracking.com...

Expect to see Covid-19 Hospitalizations and Deaths increasing, due to medical doctors/hospitals/coroners adding Covid-19 to what are actually FLU admissions/deaths. Flu season officially began in the USA this past Thursday, October 1, 2020.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   
My 4 year old just had to be tested per her school's request. She had a runny/stuffy nose and a cough that progressed over night. Negative result. Took my 8 year old this morning to be looked at and they simply said she had a normal viral infection and that it was up to me if I wanted to get tested or not. I opted out and just got her some mucinex, raw honey, and an inhaler the dr prescribed. Her symptoms subsided throughout the day.

Difference between the two: one was the school guidelines, requiring her to be tested and quarantined until results came back, the other was going in personally and drs giving me a choice. Either way my girls are fine. Neither have covid.

Seems it just depends on who you are dealing with. Most doctors don't want to have to test you unless it's necessary.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Where I work the children get sent home if they haveso much as a runny nose. This is among a whole list of possible symptoms. They go home and they must be symptom-free for 72 hours. We have a class of 12 last week 8 kids were out with runny noses . It's no different for teachers. As a result I've considered getting "sick" on a Wednesday and having a break. Got lots of paid sick leave. About a month's worth.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Get tested.

That's what tests are for.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

I don't know the logistics in other nations but in the UK the test is delivered to your door... Via Amazon.

There's also drive through testing sites.

Schools are playing it safe here, as safe as possible anyways. Doctors here are using an abundance of caution... For instance prescriptions are through the roof and from what I gather there's been a systematic change on who can prescribe and when.

Describing symptoms over the phone to a nurse can get you a prescription. It's not ideal, lots of abuse potential.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

Get tested.

That's what tests are for.

If only these tests were reliable.
If only these tests could test specifically for covid and not just Corona.
If only there weren't too many false positives because of that.

ETA: www.youtube.com...

Sorry, just putting the last bit of the URL in like I normally do doesn't seem to work. Please watch anyway. From the inventor of the test himself!
edit on 4-10-2020 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   

That is an interesting consideration ... how to treat yourself / family if / when they get a 'cold-like' illness this Winter in the northern hemisphere?

Personally, I plan to treat everyone in my household (and any friends that take my advice) as if they have COVID, for the reason that the treatment is cheap and easy (mostly vitamins and good nutrition with a few other meds and supplements), and I would rather make sure they have the odds in their favor of mild symptoms only, or none at all (in the best cases).

I am not going to recommend for my family and friends to voluntarily 'get tested', because IMHO there is no need, unless you want to get involuntarily quarantined. I think most people will recover fine flying under the radar, as a matter of speaking, though they should indeed self quarantine.

COVID and 'the common cold' can BOTH benefit from the same empiric treatments for the majority of people, unless they get severe symptoms, which is a different situation completely.

edit on 4-10-2020 by Fowlerstoad because: added some clarity, and corrected a typo

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

That is so infuriating! The situation with your son in-law’s job. I’m so sorry. I guess we have to be careful now, to whom we reveal anything about our health. It’s not right.

Are you sure you and your wife don’t just have fall allergies right now? Mine were horrendous last week; sneezing constantly, itchy watery eyes, and all that sneezing leads to head congestion and then wheezing and coughing. I just kept on Benadryl for a few days and it went away when the mold or whatever was less abundant. It sounds like you both just might have seasonal allergies.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join