It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statues are sacred.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Statues are part of history and are sacred.

The practice of removing them disrespects many of the virtues that some of these individuals had as well, despite the self misguided willingness to erase them.

History shows it never works the way the fools that topple these images think it will. They are just doing damage to our history while being caught up in self righteous behavior caused by being manipulated.

A good example of this practice comes from ancient Rome, where it was called "Damnatio memoriae", however.. they went a lot farther than just toppling down their statues and images... They erased you.

Damnatio memoriae is a term we use to describe a Roman phenomenon in which the government condemned the memory of a person who was seen as a tyrant, traitor, or other sort of enemy to the state. The images of such condemned figures would be destroyed, their names erased from inscriptions, and if the doomed person were an emperor or other government official, even his laws could be rescinded.

Damnatio memoriae were not completely successful in wiping out the memory of an individual. Among the emperors who suffered damnatio memoriae are some of the best-known figures from Roman history, including Gaius (a.k.a. Caligula) and Nero. The notoriety of these men comes to us not only from texts written during their lifetimes and later, but also from images which survived the immediate violence of the damnatio memoriae and then centuries of neglect.

Con demning Memory

See, this is ancient, but the precursor of things to come if it is continued. No one has the right to remove any history from this world, irregardless, for ANY reason.

It is history that belongs to all of us.

These people lost their glory, but not their story.

edit on 29-6-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Are flags sacred too?

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   
No, they really aren't.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 12:38 AM
link   

In the scheme of things, here is a list of sacred items most cherished by humans, in order of priority...

1. Oxygen.
2. Water.
3. Food.
4. Sleep
5. Shelter.
6. Everything else

Add 'internet' and apparently the list changes considerably (and I'm not disrespecting history or statues here)

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Ok then should we change or the American flag since some see it as a offense symbol?

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 12:58 AM
link   

These people lost their glory, but not their story.

These people lost their independence but not their glory.

Dying_Gaul Portrayal_of_Celts

The statue serves both as a reminder of the Celts' defeat, thus demonstrating the might of the people who defeated them, and a memorial to their bravery as worthy adversaries. The statue may also provide evidence to corroborate ancient accounts of the fighting style—Diodorus Siculus reported that "Some of them have iron breastplates or chainmail while others fight naked".[5] Polybius wrote an evocative account of Galatian tactics against a Roman army at the Battle of Telamon of 225 BC:

The Insubres and the Boii wore trousers and light cloaks, but the Gaesatae, in their love of glory and defiant spirit, had thrown off their garments and taken up their position in front of the whole army naked and wearing nothing but their arms... The appearance of these naked warriors was a terrifying spectacle, for they were all men of splendid physique and in the prime of life.

— Polybius, Histories II.28

It seems to me that statues of Confederate Generals depicted as if they were victors is somewhat of a lie.

edit on 29-6-2020 by pthena because: formatting

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Would you like to see saddam husseins statue still up?

There's definitely a point where its silly, but there's also a point when it's justified.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 01:11 AM
link   
ah yes, statues are sacred and important and we wouldn't know history without them, that's why nobody remembers what happened in Germany in the 40's

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
a reply to: lightedhype

Ok then should we change or the American flag since some see it as a offense symbol?

Sure.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

I renumber the MSM having fits when the Taliban was using thousands of year old Buddha statues for target practice with cannons.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

I know sarcasm when I read it (sometimes).

I refuse to go into the U.S. Military unless I can be stationed at Fort Erwin Rommel.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

I remember that there was a special envoy from the Taliban touring the country explaining how reasonable that action was. He met with W. Bush at the ranch even.

And if I remember correctly, he was allowed to stay in the U.S. after the bombing started.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Since we destroyed all statues about Nazi-Germany and Adolf Hitler, we know nearly nothing about those times,too.

Shouldn't have done that. Should really not have done that. We know next to nothing now.

/s

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I don't know about that but I think as long as we're interpreting the meaning and intent of artists and their works, we should ask ourselves how we should interpret a work of art such as a FPS video game. What is the intent of an artist who creates something like GTA?

I bet a large number of the people who are out there tearing down statues that offend them would suddenly be all about free speech if we started talking about how their beloved video games might be doing horrible things to the minds of people whose minds are not capable of appreciating the difference between fantasy and reality.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   
This thread was not about flags and songs.
It was about people.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
Would you like to see saddam husseins statue still up?

There's definitely a point where its silly, but there's also a point when it's justified.

Yes. I did not like him, but he had an impact on the world. The world knows what he did and they should not forget it as well.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I myself refrain from the worship
of graven images.
I respect the historic,religious,sociological,artistic,etc.
value of statues
as milestones in the trajectory of
the Human Race.
It would be wise to keep these artifacts safe
under the designation of public or private property
rather than sacred monuments.

For instance, a statue of BAAL may be sacred to
some, and a statue of the Virgin Mary may be
sacred to others in a subjective manner.
Each side justified in their own opinion.
Each justifying worthy destruction of the other.

However, we can all agree that the rule of law
is what makes us all equal. As well as the rule of
birth and death makes us all equal.
Therefore protecting monuments,statues, by rule
of law and consensus is the equal method.

We ALL own a piece of it, rather than just a
(in the case of current events) just a destructive few.

S&F Thank you for the motivational thoughts.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 02:46 AM
link   

And I renumber the Bush family allowing the bin laden family to fly out on 911.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

And I renumber the Bush family allowing the bin laden family to fly out on 911.

[waves Jedi hand across your post]

"These are not the droids you are looking for"

I like you.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
ah yes, statues are sacred and important and we wouldn't know history without them, that's why nobody remembers what happened in Germany in the 40's

We know what the winners wrote about it

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join