It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truck Drivers Say They Won’t Deliver To Cities with Defunded Police Departments

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Blaine91555

No where have I said I support lawlessness. People have a right to protest and to protest as long as they want legally.

Yes they do. Do you think the current situation in Seattle is legal protest?

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Blaine91555

No where have I said I support lawlessness. People have a right to protest and to protest as long as they want legally.

I don't think I accused you of anything? I was just joining in the conversation.

Problem is that yes, they are preventing businesses from operating, they are blocking roads and putting innocent people at risk.

Like I said, I support the protests, but now that the point has been made, it's gone beyond protest. Destroying peoples livelihoods and blocking roads for what is now weeks is no longer just peaceful protest. People lives are being destroyed and their Rights ignored entirely. Businesses hanging on by a thread due to the virus, will now fail as a direct result of the protests. Truck drivers are put in danger while they are just trying to do their jobs and get things like food to people who need it. When do their Rights matter?

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'll bet any amount of money out there that they deliver to Camden, NJ. Guess what? Camden NJ defunded their police department in 2012, and it's been a huge success. Fun fact: They still have police, but they completely redefined what that means and how they operate.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

The defund the police movements have several flavors. None of them involve "getting rid of the police entirely."

The options that I have seen include:

1) Remove all military-grade equipment from use by local law enforcement.
2) Layoff all police officers until they have completed community-approved retraining.
3) Remove all officers who have a history of violence against minorities.

It's not about getting rid of all police. It's about preventing a 30% drop in municipal and commercial revenue because the city shuts down due to protests and riots. Money makes the world go round. If taking hum-vees away from cops and forcing them to take sensitivity training prevents future protests, then the powers that be will make that happen.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   
these post are stupid . The people who push this type of post are the types who want more cops more weapons No over site as cosp dont even get fired when committing crimes .

NO one except the delusional Believe for one MINT there will Be NO LAW ENFORCEMENT what so ever now the NEW law enforcement that takes OVER from the police department that is so corrupt it would be a challenge finding a officer who has not committed crime .
will have OVER SITE wont just be able to go killing any time they feel like it and be back at work the next day .
If it makes you feel any better the KOOKS who say No cops are the opposites of the Kooks who say MORE cops whop already are out of control .

There will BE law enforcement of some KIND in even county every city every state any one who push others wise only motive is to create even more violence .
Could be deputy's could be PRIVATIZED police force could be lots of i=things But rest assured there will be some type of policing .

No cops do you people even read what you write ? or are you just as off as teh ones who accutly think tehy can have no cops at all .

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

You seem to misunderstand the whole thing. ATS did not name the thing. We are going by the name and what supporters of the "Defund Police" have stated.

Defund Police = no money for police = no police

Not every group that supports defunding the police actually supports eliminating all police, but some do. The main problem is this Defunding Police has many meanings to many people. It is not our fault that the originater of the movement did not understand what the words actually meant.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

Whats wrong with someone paying for a service and then complaining when they don't get good service?

Nothing. The problem here is the people who do like the service, who do want the service, are still paying and don't even get any service, good or bad.

And you see nothing wrong with that?

Maybe that's why you hate the police so badly.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

How many times have we heard on this site when it comes to the Second Amendment that this isn't what the police are for but this is what my Desert Eagle Point Five Zero is for?

Let me know when drivers are allowed to carry firearms.

Aren't you the guy who was just complaining about others not staying on topic? Or was that another AugustusMasonicus?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

We were all angry over what happened to George Floyd, but they've gone way beyond that now.

That's the real problem I am having. They won. The whole country was behind the firing, charging, and hopefully conviction of Derek Chauvin. Then the protests turned into riots. Then the riots turned into kneeling. Then the kneeling turned into insurrection. Then the insurrection turned into abolishing the police.

Everyone I knew was all about justice for George Floyd and wanting to fix the problem that led up to it. Everyone. I never heard a single person here say anything to the contrary. Now I know of no one here who supports anything going on... not the kneeling, not the riots, not the insurrection, and not the abolition of police. Things went literally from 100% agreement to 0% agreement within the space of a few days. Talk about yanking defeat from the jaws of victory!

Like you, I am no longer interested in fixing the policing problem. I'm more concerned about fixing the progressive bull spectacles problem. So it looks like these big cities are on their own, because the rest of us in dumb hick country aren't playing any more. We're reloading.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The issue is that there are still many resistant to even having a dialogue after what the majority of people can agree was an unacceptable situation with Floyd.

What, you found three people in a cave under an abandoned pizza joint somewhere who weren't upset about Floyd?

Only a fool could say with a straight face that people weren't open to having a dialogue. The dialogue was happening. What wasn't happening was the dialogue YOU wanted YOUR way on YOUR terms. No, you don't get that. You want a dialogue, you have to have a two way conversation, not a one-way "do it my way or else" temper tantrum.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 01:08 AM
link   
My thoughts: they might want to search up what the whole defund the police thing is about... I did, and it's not nearly as dramatic as it sounds. If you can ignore the edgy kids on Twitter screaming for abolishment, the actual idea seems to be moving some funds from police spending to community spending like education. I don't see why any truckers would (honestly) refuse to deliver to any city that did that..

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

I'm surprised about this honestly. Truck drivers would be happy to not get stopped by state patrol or police. Truck drivers have a lot more laws to abide by than regular commuters.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: usernameconspiracy
I'll bet any amount of money out there that they deliver to Camden, NJ. Guess what? Camden NJ defunded their police department in 2012, and it's been a huge success. Fun fact: They still have police, but they completely redefined what that means and how they operate.

Camden, N.J. has a crime index of 5.

An index of 100 is the safest city.

An index of 1 is the most dangerous city.

Source: www.neighborhoodscout.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

You missed the point. You said the same people calling for the defunding are the ones who complain the police take too long. My point is even those calling for defunding pay for the police they have and have a right to complain about the poor service.

It's the poor service that has lead to this afterall and it is our money being abused to do this.

You have as much right to complain about what police do as anyone else. Maybe that's why you are having a problem with absolute need for drastic police reform because you weren't out doing your civic duty all these years and making sure your tax money was being used wisely.

Now, you suddenly wake up when you realize it might inconvenience you, and you want to blame everyone else but those who are to blame and their enablers, while also claiming it is somehow wrong, disingenuous or hypocritical for other tax payers to complain.

edit on 16-6-2020 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: game over man

I'm surprised about this honestly. Truck drivers would be happy to not get stopped by state patrol or police. Truck drivers have a lot more laws to abide by than regular commuters.

Whaaat, surely truck drivers love being scrutinized, I mean it's the best part of their day convincing authorities they are travelling within their legal limits, surely.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

whats your thought ATS?

If they're working for a company then I don't see they have much choice where and what they deliver but if they're self employed owner drivers then the choice is their's although it won't make a difference as other drivers will take the work.

I'm a self employed truck driver in the UK , I can chose the companies I work for but not the loads I deliver.

If it can be demonstrated that it is unsafe, they would likely have the ability to refuse (at least they would in Canada, is it the same in the US?) All it would take is for a few trucks to be highjacked or drivers held at gun point (hopefully not shot and/or killed) and suppliers will reconsider if its financially viable to deviler loads there. If the cost to deliver out weighs the profit from delivery, you can bet they will cancel their loads and allow drivers to reject loads.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Identified

Maybe that's why you are having a problem with absolute need for drastic police reform

So now we've gone from dismantle to reform?

My whole point on the idea of dismantling/defunding the police has been that law enforcement is required in order to have law and order. Consistently. You are arguing out of both sides of your mouth... you claim that you don't ave police, then admit that you do, just not specific to your town. You tried to argue that you lived in such a small town that you didn't need local police, then you claim you're on the outskirts of Detroit.

You just hate cops; that much is blatantly obvious. Did one hurt your feelings? Say something you didn't like? Not let you break a law? Maybe you should search our own feelings to figure out why you hate the idea of law and order so much before you start making (more) asinine statements. I have been pushing for police reform likely longer than you've been alive. I'm just not shortsighted enough to believe that there's no reason for law enforcement to exist.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Yes, we do. And not a single one is passed by the police. Most drivers I have known are intelligent enough to understand that.

Drivers see the worst of the cops... like the ones in LA when I was driving who would park on the shoulder on I-10 on the Atchafalaya Bridge, raise their trunk, and rummage through it to try to get a truck to move to the hammer lane so they could write a ticket. Those guys wound up at the heart of a class-action lawsuit filed bu OOIDA. But we also see the best of the cops handling tough situations... like when the crazy dude tried to flag my truck down and almost wound up a greasy spot on I-20... or the time I blew a steer in heavy traffic on I-75 and a cop was right there to help me divert traffic safely and prevent a pile-up... or the time some idiot decided to stop in the hammer lane in the middle of the night with no lights and create a whole bunch of bad... or that time on I-40 when some drunk fool decided to commit suicide by trying to drive under my trailer tandems. Truckers are very familiar with using 911, and we are usually the ones who report a problem.

This ain't "Smokey and the Bandit." This is reality. Yeah, we have a lot of extra laws, but we also know that without cops we'd be living in a "Mad Max" movie. There's an awful lot of crazy going on out there that most people never see.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Not really sure what the point of this post was. I also participated in that thread in a pretty balanced manner, recognizing both sides of the situation.

You should try it.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
Yes they do. Do you think the current situation in Seattle is legal protest?

I think some parts of it are an others are not.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join