It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trumps says US could sever all ties with China

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 15 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   
www.businessinsider.com...

“There are many things we could do. We could cut off the whole relationship.”

I’m actually all for this, but I know there is no way many of Trumps friends are. Here’s looking at you Hobby Lobby, Walmart, Target, Dollar Store etc. This is posturing at the highest level. Our economies are so intertwined it is not even funny. A swift stop would hurt Americans more than the Chinese.

Right now China makes the bulk of the worlds shoes, seriously like 98%. Clothing..pfffft...Rare earth mineral, check! Like that cheap technology? I could go on and on. I am in no way saying we can’t bring these things back
Home, but it absolutely can’t be done in an instant. I don’t even think they would bring manufacturing home. It would probably go to Vietnam, Mexico, or maybe India. I hear India is getting pricey though.

Do you know right now the military can’t even get masks. We have local volunteer groups sewing for the military, police and first responders, they can’t keep up. Just imagine that, but with pretty much every product that makes up American life...
edit on 15-5-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

And if you can figure out how and why this would be such a really bad idea for America and Americans, even in just the short term, why is it that Trump would think that such a suggestion (or truly lame threat?) would be taken seriously in any way?

It just seems churlish, childish, and embarrassing...

Unless your understanding and expertise with regard to world geopolitics is no more sophisticated than that of a 14 year old.

If he can’t manage to “Be Best”, at least he could try to “Be (even a little bit) Better”.
edit on 15-5-2020 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on May, 15 2020 @ 01:50 AM
link   
my grandfather, full chinese, escaped communist china because he saw the bs starting, and ran to taiwan.
ive been telling everyone for years, never trust mainland china.

i would LOVE for things to say 'made in the usa'
because that would mean, jobs for americans, hell, if they stopped all china trade, that would mean jobs for americans and even all the ILLLEGALS that are in the country even.

im all for it. the commies burnt down a temple of my family's, fokkkem.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Captain carotene strikes again

So much for his business ad ecomic skills when he can't get the very basics rght

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Of course they know. My guess is a couple of different things, distraction, blame or my worst fear....fanning the flames of an upcoming war.

www.cnn.com...

US increases military pressure on China as tensions rise over pandemic

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Could or should?

Your title and the title in your link is different.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

Could or should?

Your title and the title in your link is different.

I fixed it, but I think by the gist of his interview could and should are pretty interchangeable.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 02:11 AM
link   
He couldn't do it, he is not that powerful anyway, would it not need to be approved by others?

Anyway, its just Trump being Trump, i am surprised anyone is surprised, he puts it out there to get a rise, you dont break off contact without starting another Cold War.

Maybe India picks up on this and offers the US some deals, US get cheap Indian # instead of cheap Chinese #, Trump wins for the US.

Just a big game and he is a player.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Haven't see the interview but could means it's an option, or potentially perfect world pipe dream. Should meanss sod dall the long and short term consequencies, practicalities and trillion dollar costs.

In precis free capitalism is only going to relocoate to places with slave labour, no workers right, poor manufacturing and bad human/workers rights and environmental controls.

It's financially and morally bacnmkrupt the USA to try and emulate such models.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

the reality he COULD and in the long term it would benefit the US

lets deal in basic facts....

the trade deficit with china was 5 BILLION plus
that means in simple terms for every dollar we get from china they get from us 5 times as much.
that alone in basic economics means any financial pain we suffer they do 5 times as much.
we can survive that but they cant.
who are they gonna sell in that quantity to?
no one country or group of countries could do that.

yes in short term we would have shortages of some goods and rare earth elements.
but we can AND HAVE recovered from greater.
it will take sacrifice, some compromises like if you want to build a manufacturing plant or mine rare earth minerals (yes we do have them) the overdrawn environmental procedures are gonna have to be streamlined and a determination to do so.

remember in less than two years we went from theoretical nuclear tech to building a MASSIVE facility that created the bomb .

no reason we cant do that type of effort again.

in the long term either we will become mostly self sufficient again, china will capitulate to keep our business (btw we were ALREADY ON THAT ROAD thanks to trump where decades of presidents failed/china flipped us the bird), or a combination of the both.

you mock his tactics but I presume thats because your thinking of political tactics vs business tactics.

something our country desperately needs and (much to his critics shock) was working before the corvid crisis.

in short we are the "sugar daddy" of china (both economically and tech) .
that is power we should stop being afraid to use

stop being afraid of loosing pennies when your being robbed of billions

scrounger

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Hopefully Americans will be less spoiled after this Hoaxed Crisis Exercise (HCE) is behind us.

We're going to need to be mentally tougher when the U.S. stops buying from China, and China stops buying from the U.S..

You talk about a "New Normal"? Americans have no idea how much life will change after US/China sever ties!

Hopefully, the Trump Administration will wait until after he is re-elected.

To do so now would guarantee Joe Biden's victory.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Yeah. I need medication to live and I can't go a day without it so in my eyes, this man is dangerous. As soon as a guy like Trump gets in there people like me have all the reason we need to vote against him. He's just irresponsible. If the relationship with China goes to #, how many people would suddenly be cut off from the meds that are keeping them alive?

For those of you who support him, I ask you to please come to your senses. This is not a game anymore. This is not funny anymore. Donald Trump is crazy.
edit on 15-5-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I can do without made in China but like you said, many are in for a rude awakening.

Just so much comes from there. Furniture, appliances. So so much clothing. I am going to brush up on my sewing skills, I think clothing, and fabric prices will skyrocket. They have a stranglehold in the fabric world. USA made fabric is actually inferior. We need to get on top of the basics ASAP.

Don’t even get me started on pharmaceuticals. The only reason it’s overseas in the first place is greed =tax advantages—-cheap labor——environmental slack....

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
my grandfather, full chinese, escaped communist china because he saw the bs starting, and ran to taiwan.
ive been telling everyone for years, never trust mainland china.

i would LOVE for things to say 'made in the usa'
because that would mean, jobs for americans, hell, if they stopped all china trade, that would mean jobs for americans and even all the ILLLEGALS that are in the country even.

im all for it. the commies burnt down a temple of my family's, fokkkem.

The OP has something right, it would hurt the U.S. However his insight is shortsighted.

It would only hurt the U.S. in the short term. In the long run it would pan out as you say...more jobs, manufacturing and self reliance on the part of the U.S. which we all have learned in high-school economics that keeping your money circulation local for the most part only serves to bolster our local economy and therefore makes it stronger.

We shouldn't rely on any one country as much as we do China. Our reliance should be spread out among many countries very akin to a diversified stock portfolio.

If there were much more jobs here (which there would be in this scenario), the pay rates would go up by themselves, no need for a forced $15/hr minimum wage. Cut back on imported cheap labor which only serves to benefit corporations and large companies as opposed to the working class and stifle the massive flood of illegal immigration and control it to the trickle that we need it to be at mainly by enforcement of heavy penalties upon companies that hire illegals and we can make this happen.

The sad truth is that 95% of politicians are in bed with the wealthy corporations and insurance companies. These powerful and rich companies "lobby" (pay off legally) the politicians in exchange for them to pass laws in the corporation's favor, such as tax breaks, allowing to import cheap labor from over seas, forced mandatory laws that are not in the interest of the public but yet only save the corporations/insurance companies billions such as mandatory seat belts.

A few good ideas to help stifle this predatory, greedy, anti-American, anti-freedom anti-republic actions by our elected officials is to mandate term limits and make lobbying illegal.

Being an elected official was always meant to be a temporary thing. Its supposed to be just another way to serve this country such as in a military service. When you add together greedy men in powerful positions that can vote for their own pay, vote for their own free health care for life including free dental, free life insurance, three weeks vacation, unlimited sick days, who knows how many paid holidays, and then also vote for no term limits you get the equivalent of corruption!

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Is he playing "The Big Man" again, right out of his sleeve?

Because that will not impress Xi, he made harder deals with harder businessmen.

What is in it for the Joe Doe? Nothing in the short run, many items will get expensive, more expensive even if they are not produced in the USa anymore so they have to be imported from third-party sources (who will sell items they bought from China, anyway).

And we should not forget that his own MAGA-cups are made in China. He will never hurt those relations himself!

This is another nothing-burger from "the master of the deal". Who mastered exactly no deal so far.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

My insight is not shortsighted as I am basically saying the same thing as you. Also I am a she not a he.
I also very clearly remember a time when almost everything was made in USA. I watched as companies shipped work and factories over one by one. The year was 1999. My boss and I talked about the end of manufacturing in the US. Shortly after they started sending all the service and call center jobs to India and Philippines. Job after job left. Look up the bureau of labor and what the biggest industry is in the US... I’ll tell you. It’s retail. Those jobs are instantly gone if there are no products!

I saw with my own eyes how it was done and the time it took. I can only imagine it in reverse. If we cut ties with a China tomorrow, expect hyperinflation immediately. People freaked out about tp...just imagine when everything is like that....

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Yeah. I need medication to live and I can't go a day without it so in my eyes, this man is dangerous. As soon as a guy like Trump gets in there people like me have all the reason we need to vote against him. He's just irresponsible. If the relationship with China goes to #, how many people would suddenly be cut off from the meds that are keeping them alive?

For those of you who support him, I ask you to please come to your senses. This is not a game anymore. This is not funny anymore. Donald Trump is crazy.

do you know what being held hostage means?

it means as long as you do what they say you wont get hurt. but they will NEVER do something for your benefit unless it helps them, at your cost...

being reasonable or even in your favor is not what they are going to do...

im sorry you need medicine that may have components from china (btw the myth that china MAKES most of our meds has been debunked already) ..

but those components (maybe not as fast as you like) can come from someone else and if your drug is a priority with dedicated and applied effort we can either find another source or make it here in short amount of time..
or even in the short term a substitute could be used.

but the reality is china is bleeding us (economically and IP ) dry.
we are NOT GETTING ANY BENEFIT FROM THIS and as this crisis showed us how vulnerable we are to them.

so how do you suggest we deal with a country for decades that has been costing us billions of dollars, millions of jobs and stealing other peoples work with impunity?

what tactics in the past have been so sucessful because from what i see from a 500 BILLION DEFICIT plus for years and every attempt at diplomacy by previous administrations has resulted in china giving us the bird...along with threatening us under clinton with nuclear missiles (which we in essence gave them the tech) if we dont play ball?

trump is the ONLY ONE who got even an agreement with some immediate concessions in our favor of the last 4 presidents.

again I am sorry for your needing medication...
but your claim "how many people will suddenly be cut off from their meds that keep them alive" is an emotional appeal... not backed up by facts...

scrounger

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Alien Abduct

My insight is not shortsighted as I am basically saying the same thing as you. Also I am a she not a he.
I also very clearly remember a time when almost everything was made in USA. I watched as companies shipped work and factories over one by one. The year was 1999. My boss and I talked about the end of manufacturing in the US. Shortly after they started sending all the service and call center jobs to India and Philippines. Job after job left. Look up the bureau of labor and what the biggest industry is in the US... I’ll tell you. It’s retail. Those jobs are instantly gone if there are no products!

I saw with my own eyes how it was done and the time it took. I can only imagine it in reverse. If we cut ties with a China tomorrow, expect hyperinflation immediately. People freaked out about tp...just imagine when everything is like that....

if your saying the same thing as he did (btw your not) then you know that the SHORT TERM pain will lead to long term gain.

but your NOT GONNA GET THAT TO HAPPEN if you keep refusing to take the steps necessary to achieve this..
that being cutting off china as much as possible and as quickly (or steady) as the chineese want to play it.

if they want to play hard ball, then fast and quick.. notice when trump refused to back down they ranted, raved, threatened, but guess what ...;. they came to the table and (gasp) negotiated a deal in our favor...
granted alot is in the future (imo they hope trump gone before they have to put up) but some gains were made and all we did was not implement HALF (half still remained) of the tariffs .

the problem with your claim of "hyperinflation" is that is a worst case possibility...
but that claim was made during the last tariffs talk.. guess what ... didnt happen...

even if it did there are countries friendly to us and wanting to make GOOD DEALS FOR US that would GLADLY step up for the business... hell even locally major companies would step up as not to loose profits....

in short let me use this analogy...

you have a knife jammed in your chest... yes for now your stable .
but the reality is your slowly bleeding out and no amount of letting status quo be is gonna save your life.

yes it is risky and yes it will be painful but to GET BETTER you gonna have to get that knife out .
only when you do will your situation get better...
no amount of crying about how hard it will be, the risks, and how long it will take to heal is gonna improve your situation...

this is same thing...

scrounger

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Why would we want to continue to do business with China as we learn of increasing human rights abuse, they are not dependable in a crisis, seek to control the world through authoritative measures, and may have purposefully allowed Covid19 to spread out of their country. The world is not happy with China, and I hope it stays that way until China plays nicer.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Yep and china could call in all our debt they are holding, dump the treasury bonds they have...
I mean, wouldnt cutting all ties mean settling debts?
Lol.... ya, that ain't gonna happen..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join