It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trumps says US could sever all ties with China

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Jay-morris

I know how much is made in China.

I think you underestimate how quickly consumers evaluate needs vs wants when price becomes an issue. People turn on a dime and companies react quickly to adjust.

Again, remember how fast marketing of cars changed when gas was $5.00... we went from every douche trying to drive an H2 to wanting a Prius over night. Gas prices fell and now people are buying SUVs again.

Consumers and companies will adjust. The reality is that a large percentage of the stuff we buy are wants, not needs. Many items that are disposable change to being more about quality and lasting longer.

I rather pay a more for goods made stateside knowing I am keeping my countrymen employed and not being taken advantage of by a brutal regime.

Maybe Americans have gotten soft and we deserve our fate...

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The moment china said if you Do X (I dont remember what it was) we will not let medicine that was paid for be shipped to you, then shipped a bunch of goods around the globe where up to a full third of the PPE sent didnt meet any bodies specs.

They took what was pretty much a fringe thought process and shoved it into the main stream, NO govt is going to twiddle their thumbs after a threat like that's followed up with sales that sent defective good over seas.

the CCP cut their own throats with this, I wouldn't be surprised to see Japan and Vietnams desire for a NATO like organization to oppose China expansion take off once economies stabilize.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Consumers have to accept that cheapest is not the best and be willing to pay a premium for made in the USA. Consumers have to vote with their dollars and show companies they are willing put made in America before price.

I just don't see that happening.

edit to add, I do buy made in America as much as possible, but I am also at a higher income level.
edit on 15-5-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Consumers have to accept that cheapest is not the best and be willing to pay a premium for made in the USA. Consumers have to vote with their dollars and show companies they are willing put made in America before price.

I just don't see that happening.

edit to add, I do buy made in America as much as possible, but I am also at a higher income level.

Maybe, maybe not. I know there are plenty of us who do take it into consideration when making a purchase. However, maybe the younger generation is too far gone and doesn't care.

I wonder if we could mobilize as a country like we did in WWII. Part of me thinks we'd be speaking German or Japanese now if WWII happened today and our current attitudes.

I just don't know how many times we have to get burned by Chinese crap before people wake up. Culturally, they simply DGAF about screwing us over. Lead in children's toys. Chemicals in drywall. Poison in baby formula. Poison in dog food. Counterfeiting goods and stealing intellectual property.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   

It won't happen over night for the reasons you state, but it can happen.

Yes, it can. I agree. But it will take a lot of time... one does not simply undo 50 years of taking the wrong path in a single year. We can start, but we have to understand that it cannot happen overnight. We're doing this not really for ourselves, but for the next generation, and the next, and the next.

That's actually where China has been able to take such advantage of us. In China, it is common for a company to take a multi-generational approach. Here, if it's not affecting this quarter's profits, screw it. That has to stop.

It's no longer just about price, though. It was in the beginning, but that is quickly changing. My son voted with his dollars once to get a quality micrometer (he was working as a machinist). He chose one that was made completely in the USA, the only company that did so. When he got the mic set in, it had a cracked bezel (which meant it was no longer dustproof/waterproof/etc.). He sent it back and they replaced it... with another one with a cracked bezel. In the end, he settled for a lower-quality mic set because the company refused to refund his money despite 4 different sets having that same cracked bezel issue. He swore then he would never pay that much just to buy America again... and I can't blame him. The set he wound up buying from Asia worked better and cost a fraction of the price.

American companies have to look at quality if they want to be seen as making quality products. A generic "Made in USA" label is not a substitute for quality.

Businesses have to think beyond shareholder return and short term gains. They have to understand their brand equity depends on putting America first.

Yep! Read above.

Government has to create an environment that rewards businesses for putting America first with low taxes and a friendly regulatory environment. We have to use policy to encourage our companies to manufacture stateside.

That's what has me so aggravated; we are (were) doing just that, but it was seen as a bad thing because of politics. Politics is going to be the downfall of this country, and even when we are all living in cardboard boxes eating rat burgers and grass because we have nothing else, people will still be complaining every time the "wrong" person tries to make it better.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I know how much is made in China.

I think you underestimate how quickly consumers evaluate needs vs wants when price becomes an issue. People turn on a dime and companies react quickly to adjust.

We are consumer hungry. People always want the latest products and gadgets. That is not going to change.

Also, like I said before. There are millions of companies in America who rely on their products from china. You think these companies would survive if no one bought their products?

Look at walmarts. How successful is Walmarts? Why is it successful? Because you can buy pretty much anything in there. Products are priced well. That's why millions shop in their everyday in America.

Again, remember how fast marketing of cars changed when gas was $5.00... we went from every douche trying to drive an H2 to wanting a Prius over night. Gas prices fell and now people are buying SUVs again.

That is completly different! Are there millions of small and big companies that provide petrol? No matter what prices are, people will still pump petrol into their cars.

You are talking about destroying the livelihood of millions of small companies in America, and seeing products sky rocket. It's not going to happen. You think your economy is not linked with China? Of course it is!

Consumers and companies will adjust. The reality is that a large percentage of the stuff we buy are wants, not needs. Many items that are disposable change to being more about quality and lasting longer.

No they will not. Companies would crumble in a matter of months! Are you saying in a matter of months, you eill get Americans working 7 days a week earning pennies? Again! Not going to happen!

I rather pay a more for goods made stateside knowing I am keeping my countrymen employed and not being taken advantage of by a brutal regime.

Oh come on! You clearly do not know how this works, and how they are connected!

Brutal regime? Ok, we know that China's government has done terrible, horrible things, but here is the flip side of that. Why would someone want to buy products from a country who government in the last 3 decades invaded countries that led to the deaths of thousands of innocent men, women and children. A government who is funding the horrors we are seeing in Yemen. A government that has funded terrorist groups over the years!

Yes, China's regime is bad, but please do not think that your own governments are saints!

Maybe Americans have gotten soft and we deserve our fate...

Maybe you just do not know how all this works.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

We would lose that war.

How could we win? Nuclear?

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Dont forget the concentration camps in china for the people that dont worship the right away...

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Dont forget the concentration camps in china for the people that dont worship the right away...

Or when they rolled out tanks against students...
edit on 15-5-2020 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

A great scene from the Wire Season 2 summing up what is wrong. Frank is the union boss of the dock workers. He is hoping to get some big facility built in Baltimore that would benefit his workers. The other guy is a lobbyist. The union is a little dirty and Frank is being investigated so the politicians decided not to vote for the Grain Pier as a result killing the jobs....

He says after being given the bad news... "We used to make sh*t in this country. Build sh*t. Now all we just put our hands in the next guy's pocket."

edit on 15-5-2020 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
Captain carotene strikes again

So much for his business ad ecomic skills when he can't get the very basics rght

But those skills are bigly, and the best. Best we have ever seen. The skills you speak of are huge and will yield beautiful things. You know who doesn't have skills? old sleepy Joe, nasty joe, baggy eyes joe. He said it, it was beautiful. I dont want to get into it now, but those skills will prove to be the best, you can count on that, just wait it will be beautiful skills.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

NEVER trust the Chinese government - on ANYTHING at all!!!!!!! Period, end of story.

Dorian Soran

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

So, that means it's ok what your government has done because it's not as "evil" as China's government? Is that what you are saying?

Difference is, China's "evil" has pretty much stayed in China. Your government has caused death and destruction outside of their country.

Evil is evil!

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DorianSoran

NEVER trust the Chinese government - on ANYTHING at all!!!!!!! Period, end of story.

Dorian Soran

Yeah, ignore your own government horrors. That's ok because it's not China!

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris

originally posted by: DorianSoran

Dorian Soran

Yeah, ignore your own government horrors. That's ok because it's not China!

Hey this is about China - not the USA. I am not saying we are perfect, but thats NOT what this thread is about, is it? I will take the good ole USA over China ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Don't like it? I don't care. USA USA USA

Dorian Soran

edit on 15-5-2020 by DorianSoran because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DorianSoran

Hey this is about China - not the USA. I am not saying we are perfect, but thats NOT what this thread is about, is it? I will take the good ole USA over China ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Don't like it? I don't care. USA USA USA

Dorian Soran

You are conditioned by patrioism, so of course you are going to say that, and of course you will ignore the horrors your own givernment has done. That's why governments get away with what they do!

This thread is about China and America. I suggest you read the title again! It was not me who brought up these evil governments, it was someone else!

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

No they will not. Companies would crumble in a matter of months! Are you saying in a matter of months, you eill get Americans working 7 days a week earning pennies? Again! Not going to happen!

Yes, this is the reality.
The good news, jobs would come back, but how long would that take?

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Like that cheap technology?

Not all cheap tech hun. Almost all modern cpus(processors) go through China, it's where they get binned and validated.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

If we cut ties with a China tomorrow, expect hyperinflation immediately.

President Trump didnt give a time frame on how quickly it would be done. I think its pretty obvious that it wouldn't be done in just one day unless we happened to go to war with each other.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   

India is actually the next China apparently.

Companies have been moving production to India to exploit cheap labor.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join