It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A dictionary of US polical abbreviations please!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Realizing ATS is a US based website, I concede that my position as a South African (SA) is rather subaltern.

But I'm starting to find it hard to follow some recent abbreviations.
Unless one subsides under a mushroom, most people know what NYC, or BS and SHTF means.
I know ATS has conditions against "net-speak" (whatever the definition) so I won't mention some of the more egregious examples, but I think we all know what the more established ones mean.

But, just tonight, I had a litany of abbreviations from various posts that really had me scratchin' my noggin.

AOC, HRC, DNC and AGW?

Not to bash anybody, I just think it would be nice if the first line of the thread, or the first time the term was used, fellow members could spell out the full term or name, so the rest of us global pleps can also know what is being talked about, without any risk of miscommunication, or misleading searches across the interwebs - possibly even off-topic replies.

For example, to us in SA "HRC" stands for the "Human Rights Commission" (which is locally embroiled in deep controversies of it's own, but not to digress here).

I mean is just using these abbreviations without further explanation actually legit on ATS?

Alternatively I suggest ATS makes a glossary, or list of abbreviations which is easy to access, and members can update it.
Well, maybe one could start a dictionary list here with the abbreviations above.

I mean fair enough to punish members with point deductions for a one line video description in the opening post, but what's currently happening with all these unexplained abbreviations is just as obtuse, if not even more so.

edit on 21-10-2019 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

I understand you probably want to grasp current events as a normal adult, but consider this: why do you care what the Imperialist bully is up to when you openly accept the rank of "subaltern"? If you know you're an outcast, why try to fit in with that from which you are cast out?

My honest opinion is you are better off not knowing if you don't already. I have a vague sense it is roundly unacceptable so when you castigate me please take into consideration that I may truly not know any better.
edit on 10/21/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
HRC Hillery Rodham Clinton
DNC Democratic National Committee

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Unless there's link a to a video, article or book ATS does actually demand basic academic standards regarding plagiarism using secondary sources.

But the same academic convention says abbreviations must be spelled out the first time, or there should be a glossary or list of abbreviations and their full meanings attached to the article, book or dissertation.

Otherwise it leaves confusion (if not legalities) open as to what the author was actually saying, or meant, especially if it's read in other countries.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

AOC: en.wikipedia.org...

HRC (I'm not sure): www.internetslang.com...

DNC: Democratic National Committe: democrats.org...

AGW (not sure): en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Sure, but yeah, I do want to know what the US is actually talking about.

Still the major world player.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Thank you!

"AGW" is found on this thread (about post no. 8 on pg. 1).
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I semantically surmise it means "A Global Warming", but I could be completely off-track too.
To use capitalized abbreviations descriptively or adjectivally like this would be unusual.

That's the thing, you're not sure.
But like I said, not to bash anybody (it's all over the show), and thanks for illuminating my way somewhat already.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I still remember the time when STD stood for "Subscriber Trunk Dialling" (enabling people to make their own long-distance calls instead of going though the local telephone exchange).

Yes, when I first saw AOC, I kept thinking I vaguely recognised it as the name of a giant company. I may have been thinking of GEC.

That's all i can think of at the moment, so (as they used to say in the war) TTFN ("Ta-ta for now")

edit on 21-10-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

edit on 21-10-2019 by DISRAELI because: redundant

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Ha, ha, when I fist saw a thread that said "AOC Lied", allegedly about something or other, I kept thinking the OP made a typo, and he meant "AC/DC".

So I started typing this long thread about how AC/DC were "naughty boys", but they never lied about anything.
They even admitted to making the same record (essentially) like 20 times, or something like that.

And halfway through all my AC/DC research, I realized, just maybe "AOC" is something different to "AC/DC".

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

AOC = Ambassador of China.

A small appliance manufacturer in the 80s and 90s, at least. I am not sure whether they are still around, or if they were around before the 80s.

My family had a 13" (iirc) (If I Remember Correctly) AOC color television set when I was a boy.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Thus it shouldn't appear strange that "AOC" registers as a spelling error, but "AC/DC" does not.
The latter is an established abbreviation (never mind the disambiguation between the currents and the band).
The former is a very recent abbreviation; virtually an insider's jargon.
And not to generalize, but it would be ironic if those are the people who endlessly complain or poke fun at "LGBTQ".
OK fine, bro, but I can't understand your "XYZ"!

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
a reply to: dfnj2015

I semantically surmise it means "A Global Warming", but I could be completely off-track too.
To use capitalized abbreviations descriptively or adjectivally like this would be unusual.

Almost. It's Anthropogenic Global Warming, meaning we humans are the cause, not the Sun, etc.
edit on 10/21/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Thank you very much!

I got some research to do.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Yes, and I have an AOC 22" monitor I'm looking at right now --- but pleeeeezzzee:
* the AOC moniker is a twitr handle for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Rep D NY ( which means US House of Representatives Democrat New York)
* HRC is Hillary Rodham Clinton,
* DNC is Democrat National Committee and
* AGW is Anthropogenic (ie Man-Made) Global Warming

Give the man an answer.
I spent enough time down under to know they got a completely different world view down there.

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Don’t feel alone because you are there. I’m right here in middle America and need to look up about half of these on here.
I think it’s a split of laziness vs superiority with most of the over abbreviators.

I swear some people think if you don’t know their long list of crazy brevity’s you are not worthy of commenting.

PS- gonjoa has that group correct as far as I know.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
Yes, and I have an AOC 22" monitor I'm looking at right now --- but pleeeeezzzee:
* the AOC moniker is a twitr handle for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Rep D NY ( which means US House of Representatives Democrat New York)

With our efforts combined we have exposed Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for the cultural appropriator she is

edit on 10/21/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   
DNF Duke Nukem Forever.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

AOC: en.wikipedia.org...

HRC (I'm not sure): www.internetslang.com...

DNC: Democratic National Committe: democrats.org...

AGW (not sure): en.wikipedia.org...

Ummm...AOC...that’s Bronx speak for that sound a chicken makes...Ahawk...buck...buck...buck...

Especially when they’re shaking some poor constituent down...you know...for campaign donations...

They hold they’re hand out and speak that speak to power...

Quite a racquet...ain’t it...

Edit:...Hillary Rodham Clinton...or was Bill Clinton Rodham Hillary...?

I could never figure that one out...

Democratic national committee...check...

Anthropogenic global warming...you know...what anthropogenic global warming was called before they leveraged it into it’s current iteration...”climate change”...

How original...

Sooo..one out of four ain’t bad...that’s...1 out of 4...kee he...he...he...he...

God loves ya man...

YouSir
edit on 21-10-2019 by YouSir because: I’ve got...the power...

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Just thinking, maybe this is not new in the US, with the rise of citizen's journalism and all around the mid-1960's.

Thinking of a song from the musical Hair just made up of abbreviations.

Something like LBJ and L-laa-laa (see, I know I can't mention that one by now).

Yeah, but even the script of the musical Hair had a glossary, I recall.

Both the musical and script were actually illegal in South Africa until 1995, so I recall hiding my photocopy very well.

<<   2 >>

join