It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Ireland Defeat New Zealand In The Rugby World Cup Quarter Final

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
On Saturday evening in Japan, Ireland will face probably the most dominant sports team, of any code, of all time. As an Irish supporter I have great trepidation about facing New Zealand as we have an abysmal record over the last 100 odd years of the sport. But lately in the last couple of years, we have succeeded in defeating them. New Zealand have walked through their group, taking the scalps of second favorites South Africa en route. They have a formidable team on paper. Ireland only came second in their group having suffered a defeat versus hosts Japan. Ireland have also suffered an injury to their reserve hooker and also lost Bundee Aki their starting 12 to a high shot suspension. Despite all of this I feel there are avenues where Ireland can have some joy.

Firstly, New Zealand's back row, despite being superb, is a little bit small. It means that New Zealand only have two jumpers in the Lineout and I feel Ireland who have three great jumpers can attempt to nick ball defensively. Secondly, Ritchie Mo'unga is not a big defender. The number 10 is a classy footballer and has steered the Crusaders to two championships lately but if Ireland can put big boys down his channel we can makee the All Blacks retreat and give away penalties at the breakdown. Thirdly, the winger Sevu Reece for the ABs, despite being brilliant with the ball in hand, cannot kick and I feel Ireland should rain bombs down on top of him. Fourthly, the weather forecast is bad I am hearing which will make it much harder for New Zealand to play their natural attacking game and it will suit Johnny Sexton more than Mo'unga or Barrett. And finally, Tadgh Furlong is a beast and will make life hell for the All Black front row.

Embedded here is a link to the starting teams. I just wanted to see if there are any rugby fans here and what chance you give Ireland?
www.bbc.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
No chance

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: theruthlessone

lol, well thats to the point anyway

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I remember at the local Irish pub when Ireland beat Wales we all got a free beer,New Zealand would have to be worth a single malt whisky.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Warchief666 I just wanted to see if there are any rugby fans here and what chance you give Ireland?

I don't know anything about rugby. But i give Ireland... A chance. There is always a chance, otherwise it would be pointless to even play the final. It would be easier for all to crown New Zealand as winners straight away.

Last spring, ice hockey world championship. All Finnish greatest stars refused to come, or were still playing the NHL playoffs, or were injured, or their teams didn't let them go due to contract situation. We had a team of basically nobodies. But it was a TEAM. Finland is the world champion now.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Oh... I was tired when i posted and now i see, that the game in question here is a quarter final, not the final. Sorry, my mistake. But the message of my post still stands.

OP: Let us know what happened when the game has been played. I hope Ireland wins it. Reading your post gave me David versus Goliath feeling.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 01:13 AM
link   
It would be interesting if Ireland beat the All Blacks. It would change the complexion of the World Cup. There is always a chance that this will happen. In the 30 odd contests between the sides Ireland has won twice, so my money is not on Ireland. However, who would have thought Japan would have done what they have done?

All good stuff.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Lol, no chance. South Africa - New Zealand final, as it should be...

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Could they? hell yeah...

If the French have taught us anything, its that any team can have 'their' day against the Allblacks.

Kiwi's have been booted out a couple of times by a team they should smash!

The AB's named a great side, not sure on Retalicks reliability atm, but its our best side. We need to hold the ball more and stop kicking it...

Eng V Aus is going to be a cracker!

I think it will be a England Vs South Africa final

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 06:09 AM
link   
No, they cannot.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Warchief666

If you had asked me this 10 months ago, i would have said Ireland were probably slight favourites. However, fast forward 10 months and i have to say very little chance at all.

Ireland have not been good in that time and not in this World Cup either. The usual Irish strengths (ball carrying, breakdown, etc) just seem to have evaporated.

You then combine that with this New Zealand team. Yes, they are smaller than normal. But they are certainly much faster and more agile and, if this is even possible, more skillful with ball in hand.

I refer you back to the New Zealand - South Africa at the start of the tournament. For the opening 20 minutes, South Africa were superb. The All Blacks couldn't get out of their own 22 but they managed to keep South Africa from scoring and then, first time with proper ball in hand, simply waltzed up field to score. It was a real moment to make you sit up and take notice, particularly as i had a sneaky feeling South Africa may win this tournament (not now!).

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
We'll either win by five or lose by fifty.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   
clinical!
bring on the English

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Ireland lost by some margin (sad face). It'll be New Zealand against England. That'll be a different game.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
Could they? hell yeah...

If the French have taught us anything, its that any team can have 'their' day against the Allblacks.

Kiwi's have been booted out a couple of times by a team they should smash!

The AB's named a great side, not sure on Retalicks reliability atm, but its our best side. We need to hold the ball more and stop kicking it...

Eng V Aus is going to be a cracker!

I think it will be a England Vs South Africa final

As a kiwi it gives me no joy this morning to be right.
The English have dominated us twice in a row.

Shoulda been 30-0.

They say when the allblacks lose the pain is similar to your home burning down.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

At least it was a deserved loss for you this time, and by that i mean England were totally superior (i know, i was shocked too!).

Unlike 2007 where you blew it. That hurts and as an Englishman is a feeling i know all too well!

No shame losing to a better team on the day.

top topics

join