It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Debate Forum use

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I'm completely for a 1v1 or even a 2v2 organised debate forum. Even if people come in who are unwilling to change their mind, they can lose a debate if they cant back themselves up with relevant evidence. Unlike in general forums when threads end up 30 pages of nonsense back-and-forth with nothing being achieved other than myself shaking my head at the blithering fools behind the screen.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: EternalSolace

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

a reply to: Lumenari

Stop thinking of ATS as some unbiased playground.

It’s not. Nor are their mods, staff, or any members.

Sorry , I cannot Swallow that . Anyone on here as Staff MUST have a Sense of Honor , and be able to Discern a Truth from a Lie . Or am I just Kidding Myself > ? .....Hmm.....

ATS is the most unbiased place on the web, as far as I have seen.

They allow all political persuasions.

The "supposed" right-leaning Mods have put me on a leash so many times it's not funny...

They are fair.

To the point though, I was just wondering if the Debate forum works, or if it doesn't and it's dead then OK.

I would like to debate.

I would like to call someone out and debate a topic that isn't in the Mud Pit or other threads where you are getting drive-by posters attempting to derail your debate topic.

I'd just like to debate a point with another member and clear the air.

I've no problem with losing the debate... I could learn something about the topic.

You couldn’t handle one conversation with me without claiming that a debate would be bad for me right out of the gate. I’n your own thread, ad hominem right out of the gate... yet you claim to be different. Yeah..

Then let's see if the debate forum works and we could have one.

Why do you keep replying if you are not a staff/Mod?

You don't have an answer for me but keep posting because...

?

I’m intentionally trying to ruffle your feathers. Not because I’m conservative or anything else. But just to show that damn near anyone who calls for a realistic debate just can’t follow through.

Sounds like projection on your part.

However, for the 3rd or 4th time, I wasn't talking to you.

I was asking...

1/ If the debate forum was still available.

2/ If it was not, can we start it up again?

You have no answers to these questions.

So why do you keep posting?

1: Because you can’t help the personal attacks. Thus proving me right.

2: You keep replying to me, in which deserves a response. I’m not a savage...

Can you answer my questions to the ATS staff members/Mods then?

I’m not staff. (Oh, please respond like I’m anticipating...)
edit on 10/16/2019 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Badams
I'm completely for a 1v1 or even a 2v2 organised debate forum. Even if people come in who are unwilling to change their mind, they can lose a debate if they cant back themselves up with relevant evidence. Unlike in general forums when threads end up 30 pages of nonsense back-and-forth with nothing being achieved other than myself shaking my head at the blithering fools behind the screen.

Exactly.

I would like a clear actual debate between 2 members.

Read some of the debates on the Debate Forum.

Members have had some awesome debates here that we never see.

Civil, putting up points, rebutting then a summary.

I personally think it would bring a little civility back to ATS.

I don't like being demeaned or belittled and have to respond in kind.

See this thread as an example.

I'd like to make a point, rebut and summarize.

Thus the reason I made this thread in the first place.

edit on 17-10-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Serious answer after your serious post. No more nonsense. Who determines the winner?
edit on 10/16/2019 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Completely agree, However, ATS isn't as it once was - or at least as I remember it to be circa 2012ish. I think the tidal wave of ignorance and absurdity that's been so prevalent the last few years is pretty overwhelming to most members wanting to have a legitimate debate - which is why it often turns to a # slinging contest.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

You would need a nominated third party to adjudicate the debate - bias would be irrelevant. In debating, the winner doesn't have to be "correct" it's who can "argue" the best. Hey, If a flat earther can out argue anyone siding with mainstream science; #, they win in my books.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Badams

Lumenari could probably eat my lunch in a real debate.

The topic is whether ATS could deliver such a debate.

I don’t think they could.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Serious answer after your serious post. No more nonsense. Who determines the winner?

The way back then rules...

Debate forum 2012

Judging will be done by two judges . If the two judges vary, the Debate will be a tie. Judges should be anonymous. Do not post in this thread if you wish to judge, write one of us a PM. As a judge you should not be invested in the topic being discussed. Should you be chosen as a judge, please judge the debate not based on your particular stance but on how well the debaters made their point.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Completely agree, However, ATS isn't as it once was - or at least as I remember it to be circa 2012ish. I think the tidal wave of ignorance and absurdity that's been so prevalent the last few years is pretty overwhelming to most members wanting to have a legitimate debate - which is why it often turns to a # slinging contest.

So as contributing members, should we not petition to change that?

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Alright Lumenari, I give up. I bow to Your feet. May they trample your enemies and give foot fetishist the rush they’re looking for.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I'm with you, I think it would probably have to be user organised as mods cant do everything - god knows they have enough BS to deal with in the regular forums. I guess it would be as simple as nobody other that the allocated participants and judges (nominated in the first post) would be able to post in the thread. But I doubt the ATS mods have time to run that - nor do I think for a second that users here can be trusted to keep their noses out of a thread they're not involved in.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:00 AM
link   

The question would be how? people are free to post whatever BS they want too; you know, free speech and all. As much as I'd like them to not speak...

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I LOVE this idea. Leave the peanut gallery out of it. 1v1 or 2v2, adjudicated anonymously. Time limits on responses. Mods, lets make this happen!

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:02 AM
link   

You may have to wait until certain Mods wake up. It is likely they are all getting some ZZZZs

Please pick a topic that is not political ... please

How about ... Should the Earth have a colony on Mars.

P

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I'm with you, I think it would probably have to be user organised as mods cant do everything - god knows they have enough BS to deal with in the regular forums. I guess it would be as simple as nobody other that the allocated participants and judges (nominated in the first post) would be able to post in the thread. But I doubt the ATS mods have time to run that - nor do I think for a second that users here can be trusted to keep their noses out of a thread they're not involved in.

From what I have read so far on it, a Mod opens the topic up and only the two people debating can post.

Also, unless you have a "fighter" tag, you cannot post in the Debate forum anyways.

Try it.

DBCowboy brought this up a week ago and posted in the Debate forum... I did not have permission to reply.

So they have set the forum up right.

edit on 17-10-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Alright Lumenari, I give up. I bow to Your feet. May they trample your enemies and give foot fetishist the rush they’re looking for.

I am always happy when someone is feisty with me on ATS.

But my feet are off limits.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:08 AM
link   

That's how it should be. If a flat-earther can out-argue a spherezoid, then they win. Now, as a spherezoid I will destroy any flat-earther who makes the grave mistake of debating me.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Zelun

I'm Australian, I just get annoyed when I see that people believe I'm some sort of paid actor because my photographs aren't all upside down. I mean sh*t, wheres my pay.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Everything in its place. Political Mud Pit serves a very crucial cathartic role. Does parliamentary procedure absolutely adhere to "free speech" as you've described it? It totally doesn't. As adults, we can enter into agreements waiving certain rights. Like MMA. Those folk get assaulted like none other. That's debate. There's a place for it. It's here.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:22 AM
link   

a reply to: Zelun

I'm Australian, I just get annoyed when I see that people believe I'm some sort of paid actor because my photographs aren't all upside down. I mean sh*t, wheres my pay.

Well, maybe if your nighttime time lapse footage didn't trace the stars in the wrong direction you'd have some credibility. But it doesn't, so you don't.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join