It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Rule Would Penalize Immigrants For Needing Benefits

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
www.npr.org...

The Trump administration is moving forward with regulations that are expected to dramatically reshape the U.S. immigration system by denying green cards and visas to immigrants who use — or are expected to use — a wide range of federal, state and local government benefits, including food stamps, housing vouchers and Medicaid.

I just love how this article is worded. "Penalize". Immigration supporters call it cruel!! CRUEL! Funny how they don't find that it is cruel to the US taxpayer, paying for these costs. They are trying to spin this into a racial thing. This is not racist. This makes sense. We want immigrant, we just want quality immigrants that have something to add to our country. Why is that wrong?

If you come to a country, any country and cannot support yourself, you are basically a burden. For those that say with the right tools/education they could be "something". Well, maybe they need to try that in their own country.

There are some articles on the internet right now that are popular about Americans wanting to go abroad, because they are scared/tired/too stupid to live here. What I find absolutely freaking hilarious is that many of these "enlightened" countries have income and work requirements...

edit on 12-8-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Just to be specific, IMMIGRANTS, Not refugees. Not the people who need help, the people who just want to migrate. Those people should come completely willing and able to participate. If they can't do they, they either don't belong here or the only belong here as a refugee.

OP I agree

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

Just to be specific, IMMIGRANTS, Not refugees. Not the people who need help, the people who just want to migrate. Those people should come completely willing and able to participate. If they can't do they, they either don't belong here or the only belong here as a refugee.

OP I agree

I agree, and I also think we need to educate the American public on what a real refugee is.

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Things are apparently taking a turn for the “more dangerous” in Hong Kong as we speak.

There is a fear that China could soon move in with its military to quell a growing movement among the citizens there to stem the mainland’s influence.

If China moves, in force, with force, against these protests and thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of Hong Kongese are forced to flee their island, or face Chinese arrest and reprisals,

Should the US shut its border to them, as well?

Fair is fair, right?

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

All Trump is doing is reversing a Clinton EO established in 1999 that stopped taking into consideration if an immigrant was going to be on welfare.

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

Things are apparently taking a turn for the “more dangerous” in Hong Kong as we speak.

There is a fear that China could soon move in with its military to quell a growing movement among the citizens there to stem the mainland’s influence.

If China moves, in force, with force, against these protests and thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of Hong Kongese are forced to flee their island, or face Chinese arrest and reprisals,

Fair is fair, right?

Fair is Fair, but from what i've seen so far the people of Hong Kong are not going down without a fight.

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

So basically trump is trying to make our immigration system like every other western country's.
What exactly is the problem?
I would not be allowed to move to Canada without having a job already arranged and I can guarantee it would have to be in a skilled field.

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Fair is fair, right?

We Americans, fought the most advanced, and cruelest empire in the late 1700's and succeeded. We again fought the French, and won. Other people need, and can fight, for their country as well. I'm sure the World will be happy to supply arms to Hong Kong. Let them fight for their land!

edit on V552019Mondayam31America/ChicagoMon, 12 Aug 2019 11:55:21 -05001 by Violater1 because: pmnjkyturc

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.npr.org...

The Trump administration is moving forward with regulations that are expected to dramatically reshape the U.S. immigration system by denying green cards and visas to immigrants who use — or are expected to use — a wide range of federal, state and local government benefits, including food stamps, housing vouchers and Medicaid.

I just love how this article is worded. "Penalize". Immigration supporters call it cruel!! CRUEL! Funny how they don't find that it is cruel to the US taxpayer, paying for these costs. They are trying to spin this into a racial thing. This is not racist. This makes sense. We want immigrant, we just want quality immigrants that have something to add to our country. Why is that wrong?

If you come to a country, any country and cannot support yourself, you are basically a burden. For those that say with the right tools/education they could be "something". Well, maybe they need to try that in their own country.

There are some articles on the internet right now that are popular about Americans want to go abroad because they are scared/tired/too stupid to live here. What I find absolutely freaking hilarious is that many of these "enlightened" countries have income and work requirements...

I’m not sure this isn’t a good idea, but I’m not sure it is either...

That means the only immigrants we get are the wealthy ones, legally at least ... as only the wealthy could guarantee they won’t need assistance...

And that goes for every countries immigrants..

Every middle/lower class swed, Israeli, Brit, you name it is likely to use assistance..

Which would include all the Uber smart people... they all come here and get assistance.. ..

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

I would think it would make more sense for them to flee to countries nearby that are more culturally similar to themselves. Like Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Philippines...

Just like it would make more sense for refugees from Iraq, Syria, Egypt... to seek refuge in similar nearby countries like Kuwait, SA, UAE, Bahrain... Etc.

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I just love how this article is worded. "Penalize". Immigration supporters call it cruel!! CRUEL! Funny how they don't find that it is cruel to the US taxpayer, paying for these costs.

Penalize seems an appropriate word , if people move to America and take menial jobs with low pay like working as a cleaner or as hospitality in a golf resort for example they will be treated as second class citizens by the state as well as the people.

Are all immigrants bad now ?

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

We fought an itty bitty piece of the British army and only won independence because of a change in parliament....

The colonists has it great under the British rulership.. the founding fathers just seized power because they could..

The colonists has the lowest taxes I the empire and the crown only wanted back the money they sent them to fight off the French..

Not that anyone else had any better justification for rulership..... but America’s wasn’t magically the only justified rebellion in history lol..

The only rebellion that was less justified was the confederacy

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
neo conservatives just begging for bigger government regulation limiting the freedom of movement for individuals

typical statist, begging for closed borders and limited freedom of movement

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I am a US citizen legal immigrant to Mexico. We have permanent residence permits and did it all legally and by the book.

I can tell you that there are no benefits offered to immigrants here in Mexico. On the contrary, we had to present proof that we were able to pay our own way and would not be a burden to the Mexican welfare system.

Now, I can apply for membership in the Mexican socialized medical system, but I'd have to pay a fee. It's not exorbitant, but there's a fee, and the system is known for not being top-notch. We've opted for private insurance. But aside from there, there are no material benefits for me offered by any branch of the government.

I have no problem with this policy. If I am going to move to another country, I should be prepared to be a benefit and not a burden to it.

How many of you will say that the Mexican government is penalizing me?
:
edit on 2019 8 12 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Fair is fair, right?

Fair is Fair, but from what i've seen so far the people of Hong Kong are not going down without a fight.

Unfortunately, the harder they fight, the harder China will feel the need to enforce its will upon them.

That will, of course, only increase the number of people needing/wanting to flee, and likely with fewer resources to make that flight easy (less transportable wealth with which to help support themselves wherever they up).

The result will likely be more, and needier, immigrants/refugees (with the Chinese superpower glowering on) for the US to...What?

Turn our backs on?

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

www.npr.org...

There are some articles on the internet right now that are popular about Americans want to go abroad because they are scared/tired/too stupid to live here. What I find absolutely freaking hilarious is that many of these "enlightened" countries have income and work requirements...

I’m not sure this isn’t a good idea, but I’m not sure it is either...

That means the only immigrants we get are the wealthy ones, legally at least ... as only the wealthy could guarantee they won’t need assistance...

And that goes for every countries immigrants..
Every middle/lower class swed, Israeli, Brit, you name it is likely to use assistance..
Which would include all the Uber smart people... they all come here and get assistance.. ..

Your wrong.
Both sides of my family came from Eurasia, dirt poor! Stayed at Ellis Island until their quarantine was over, worked hard in start-up shops and steel mills, learned English and became AMERICANS!
I'm not sure what "swed" means? May I recommend an English Dictionary?

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Actually it's regulations protecting individual freedoms from non citizens.

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: Violater1

We fought an itty(sic) bitty piece of the British army and only won independence because of a change in parliament....

The colonists has it great under the British rulership(sic).. the founding fathers just seized power because they could..

Wrong again, please review a High School American History course. And review an English class as well.

The colonists has the lowest taxes I the empire and the crown only wanted back the money they sent them to fight off the French..

Not that anyone else had any better justification for rulership..... but America’s wasn’t magically the only justified rebellion in history lol..

LOL.
Really, LOL!
Wrong again (are you not getting tired of being wrong). I have to tell you, but your grammar does not make sense, and I don't know what you are trying to say. Perhaps if you tried a Russian to English Boogle translator, we could figure what your trying to say?

The only rebellion that was less justified was the confederacy

edit on V152019Mondaypm31America/ChicagoMon, 12 Aug 2019 12:15:27 -05001 by Violater1 because: kojrtxu

posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

thats completely ridiculous if the big daddy government you love so much wasnt stealing our money out of our paychecks then what would they be protecting?

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Wow, you are good!

If China moves, in force, with force, against these protests and thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of Hong Kongese are forced to flee their island, or face Chinese arrest and reprisals

In the first place, asylum laws are not affected by this Executive Order. What you just described falls under the definition of "political asylum." "I want to come to the US so I won't be as poor" does not.

Secondly, Hong Kong is a bustling economy. The probability is high that most refugees from there would have marketable skills and thus not be affected by the Executive Order.

Thirdly, Hong Kong is literally on the other side of the planet. Why would someone desperately trying to escape political oppression go to the furthest country away from them?

Fourthly, if China is oppressing these poor people, why are you blaming the USA and specifically Donald Trump?

That is one heck of a talent you got there! I couldn't get that much wrong in so few words if my like depended on it!

ETA: Maybe I spoke too soon. JustJohnny just outdid you in a post so ludicrous I can't even figure out how to respond to it. You guys having a contest or something?

TheRedneck

edit on 8/12/2019 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join