It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia 's Loyal Wingman/UCAV

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: thebozeian
a reply to: bally001
Bally, JORN is FAR from obsolete and has received programmed updates. It has major advantages over satellites in many areas, like constant surveillance that even a large network of satellites cannot easily provide. It is also resistant to blinding and works in bandwidths that allow it to see things that line of site radar cannot. It isn't perfect and has disadvantages, but as a tool in a layered surveillance network it is highly useful and still very much relevant. And we are one of a very few nations to have not only fielded it but developed it as well, rather than just buying it off the shelf, so we understand it from its technology base up.

I agree and as you say, 'it isn't perfect and has disadvantages'. And sure, it is still useful.

But it's under warranted considering today's tech. Up grade all you want but JORN can't keep up with the fast pace. Reasonable expectations for the south but north of the 'Brisbane Line' it's not up to speed in my opinion.

As I said, I used to reckon Jindalee was the best but now it's trailing with regards progress in stealth and speed. It won't detect a sub in the Bight.

My thoughts.

Thank you for your reply,

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

originally posted by: thebozeian
a reply to: bally001
Bally, JORN is FAR from obsolete and has received programmed updates. It has major advantages over satellites in many areas, like constant surveillance that even a large network of satellites cannot easily provide. It is also resistant to blinding and works in bandwidths that allow it to see things that line of site radar cannot. It isn't perfect and has disadvantages, but as a tool in a layered surveillance network it is highly useful and still very much relevant. And we are one of a very few nations to have not only fielded it but developed it as well, rather than just buying it off the shelf, so we understand it from its technology base up.

I agree and as you say, 'it isn't perfect and has disadvantages'. And sure, it is still useful.

But it's under warranted considering today's tech. Up grade all you want but JORN can't keep up with the fast pace. Reasonable expectations for the south but north of the 'Brisbane Line' it's not up to speed in my opinion.

As I said, I used to reckon Jindalee was the best but now it's trailing with regards progress in stealth and speed. It won't detect a sub in the Bight.

My thoughts.

Thank you for your reply,

Kind regards,

bally

Thats because its not directed at the Bight. Its aimed at the northern approaches for a reason.

But if you think the ADF cant detect a sub in the Bight good luck to you.

posted on Aug, 20 2019 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Out of the lab and into miniature flight demonstrators.
Loyal Wingman progress

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha
Its a lot bigger than I expected. No wonder they are talking about it having a 2000nm range. They seem to be making good progress, although I suspect they were a lot further along than they said when it was revealed. This will be one to watch along with the Valkyrie.

posted on Feb, 15 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Wonder what engines they will use?

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Nearly 12 meters long...About same size as a small training jet I think...Looks like the CNC guys have been busy...

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick
Good question, dont know if its one or two either, I would expect a single though, why complicate it?
Edit: The original press release says a single turbofan.
edit on 16-2-2020 by thebozeian because: Update.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
Yeah its big, fully 10ft longer than a Valkyrie. Yet interestingly its stated range is basically the same as the XQ-58 at 2000nm. Which tells me that they plan on packing a lot more stores internally and therefore its payload must be greater.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   

It'd an existing commercial turbofan. But that's all they're saying.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Rolls Royce Adour would be my guess, both RAAF and Boeing are familiar with it?

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   

RR's BR 725, F130 or a derivative, if I had to guess.. Adour isn't going to have anywhere near the sfc for the range they are talking about.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

RR's BR 725, F130 or a derivative, if I had to guess.. Adour isn't going to have anywhere near the sfc for the range they are talking about.

Sfc?

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Specific Fuel Consumption. Basically consumption per second divided by thrust.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 02:44 AM
link   
If they are hauling a pretty big sensor suit they will need the fuel and range to extend Australias coastal surveillance..

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert
I'm guessing that what ever they choose it will also need to be able to take the load of a pretty big electrical generation capacity. Given that the initial job of this drone is EA work its going to need to be able to pump up the power. I concur, an Adour wont cut it in this application. It needs something a bit bigger in thrust, but mostly in generating capacity and sfc. And I only say bigger in thrust because obviously stage 2 of development is to carry a decent weapon load internally over long distances

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
That's a good part of the 700 family guess. Maybe a Pearl derivative.

But theoretically, you can steal energy from the efflux and turn it in to shaft power pretty easily on any high bypass-ratio. Particularly if you don't care much about supersonic speeds where efflux velocity is actually important.

So it could be almost anything in that class made by PW, GE, etc And you could always turn to an APU (or even, less optimally, a RAT or two, like the Growlers) when the need hits for generation.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 12:57 AM
link   

needs a red cylon light...

www.boeing.com.au...#/

www.thedrive.com...

edit on 9-4-2020 by anzha because: added pic

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:00 AM
link   
As long as they dont nickname it SCAR as per the re imagined BSG series..
Electrics is usually the first system that goes in after the airframe is finished...

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

edit on 4-5-2020 by anzha because: added video

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join