It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Josh Gordon suspension- a legitimate reason to boycott the NFL

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Yep, instead of allowing their players to self-medicate with marijuana to help ease their aches and pains that comes with playing any sport professionally - let alone a sport as taxing on the body as football - the NFL would rather much prefer their team doctors to push pain pills on the players and inject them with poisons that are pushed down their throats big multi-million dollar corporations.

If it is about image for the NFL then why would they rather have a bunch of pill poppers instead of pot smokers. I'd strongly argue in favor on marijuana over pain pills any day. Pills will shorten your life and destroy your brain. I know this all too well as a chronic pain sufferer myself. I will never touch another pain pill for as long as I will live. Just look at the average lifespan of professional wrestlers that got hooked on pills and the 80s and 90s. Those guys are lucky to make it to their 50s.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The point of my boycott is to send a message. Most all of these companies who drug test should not be supported. Unfortunately you have to eat, drive, etc so boycotting them all isn't feasible. I don't have to watch the NFL and no longer will if his suspension is the result of him using marijuana.

If the NFl gets the message, maybe these other employers will start to get the message as well. You have to start somewhere.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Yea just let a three time offender play. Don't give the patriots anymore reason to be hated.

Also, if you can't stop drinking and doing drugs don't play football. Josh gorden made his choice now hopefully he gets help and finds a new career

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Yea just let a three time offender play. Don't give the patriots anymore reason to be hated.

Also, if you can't stop drinking and doing drugs don't play football. Josh gorden made his choice now hopefully he gets help and finds a new career

Whatever, dude. Let the indignation and self-righteousness wash over you — clearly, you’re immune to mental health disease but not common sense.

Lest, your moral compass is dictated by a class system (I’m inclined to believe so), you’d make the same argument (“if you can’t stop drinking and doing drugs...”) for, oh, Jim Irsay, owner of the Colts.

Yeah, Irsay, let him get popped with THOUSANDS of opioids and drunkenly asleep at the wheel; chalk it up to stress-relief and bury the lead an NFL owner is a legit addict (again, lest you be reminded his father was a raging alcoholic...but you don’t have the synapses to connect the dots). A 25-year old with a documented history of drug abuse and mental health issues should be tossed to the curb ingesting a legal plant? It’s effing laughable (much like your post).

Dude, I sincerely hope you have the emotional intelligence and social acumen to understand how back-a$$wards this is, but I don’t suspect that’s the makeup of your constitution — surprise and tell me why Jim Irsay or Leonard Little or Donte Stallworth deserve a chance you want to take away from Gordon (it’s with an “o”). Two of those I mentioned are convicted killers. And played again in the league.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

#EffingDip#FromNC
#MentalMidgetAnnoyance
edit on 20-12-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
And tax free since 1954 if memory serves. Then the various teams get the cities to buy them a new stadium every few years. The City of Jacksonville cut a few jobs to help pay for the Scoreboard that is INSIDE the stadium; the fans cannot stand the 40 seconds between snaps w/out entertainment.

Here is a blurb about the stadiums. If You don't have time to watch the whole thing at least catch the City of Miami how they got screwed and how the Cincinnati Bengals™ PRACTICE field sent a wrench through the local school district

www.youtube.com...

Again, it is a money grabbing scheme by the Ultra-Rich. ALOMST on par with "Welfare Ranchers" where the Waltons, Simplotts and Koch's are using MILLIONS of taxpayer $$$ to buy up the PRIVATE ranches/farms in the West for 'water rights' yet using the guise of helping restore Wild Burros and Horses....

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Whatever you say pal. I'm a cleveland browns fan and stuck by him and wanted him to succeed until he went out partying with johnny manziel and got suspended again and again and again.

I'm sure if I had drug and booze problem my job wouldn't just fire me and replace me the next day. I hope he gets help but his football career is over

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Also, how do you even know its just weed? He was late and hungover when the browns were finally done with him after his 5th chance to clean up.

The browns supported him and helped him for 6 years until they realized he can't be an addict and party while being a pro in the NFL.

Spare me the personal insults. He's had more help and support then any common person not playing a sport could ever have.

We all have to live with our choices and faults.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Yessir, whatever I say is correct, but I’m not your pal.

The crux of my post was about the NFL’s hypocrisy. Clearly, that went over your head. Read my posts again — context is your friend and I provided plenty.

You, on the other hand, blabbed about not giving more reason to hate the Patriots, and if Gordon wanted to play ball he should just quit the drinking (exempt from substance abuse list) and drugging (prescription opioids are ok but cannabis gets you a pink slip) complete stop. Too bad it isn’t that easy. Even with solid support.

I’ll leave the rational choice theory and where addiction fits into it for someone else, but suffice to say he didn’t make a rational decision in forfeiting $15M - $100M in career earnings because he chose to be a broke, uneducated 35-year old simply happy with his daily joint/pill/blow to the nose/etc. just because that’s what he truly wanted over fame and millions. Much like those pushing up daisies due to the Opioid Epidemic that, according to the CDC, has contributed to Americans’ life expectancy failing to increase year-over-year for the first time since WWI. Hell, not only did it not increase year-over-year, life expectancy actually fell in 2017.

There’s nothing rational about addiction, but you sure asserted the notion that he had an easy choice to stop drinking and doing drugs in lieu of earning generational wealth. Seems like a pretty easy choice, rationally...but addiction isn’t rational nor is it a quick fix. And if he needs 5 times, 6 times, or 100 times to get it right then so be it as long as he becomes healthy. Football aside.

One thing is unequivocal: numbers don’t lie and Gordon’s numbers are All-Pro. When he was on the field he produced; he didn’t just wake up and strap ‘em up for 16 Sundays a year pulling down those numbers (with literally the worst team in the history of the NFL). He put in the work. His substance abuse affected his availability to perform, but it sure as hell didn’t affect his ability to perform.

But whatever. The OP was about the NFL’s a$$-backward cannabis policy and that’s what I commented on and about...Irsay gets popped with a pharmacy in his trunk, blitzed beyond comprehension, and was fined $500k (the six-game ‘suspension’ had zero impact on the on-field product) and isn’t subject to the NFl’s substance abuse protocol, so as long as he doesn’t pass out in his car again, he’s free to wash down as many Percocets with Jack Daniels as he fancies.

Meanwhile, the guy (John Q. Public player) who pissed hot for smoking weed is forever subjected to random drug tests, where one slip up by John Q. Public cost him half a season or more and a far more punitive financial punishment. But, yeah, if you’re not an addict and showed drunk to your job, I’d have reason to believe it was bad decision-making and I believe it warrants some penalty...because after reckoning with your penalty, you’d rationally decide not to make a 2nd or 3rd attempt at doing it.

An addict, on the other hand, will irrationally excuse their behavior and continue to self-harm. Not because they’re intrinsically rewarded by misusing whatever vice, but because their mental health is diseased.

I LOVE watching NFL games. It’s a passion. First thing I bought with my first signing bonus was Redskins’ 2007 season tickets and have done so for the following 11 seasons...that in-of-itself is irrational given the owner and that I have never lived within a 4.5 drive of FedEx Field (even kept them those couple years I was in Austin). So, I’m a bit jaded when it comes to Goodell and the NFL’s hypocrisy concerning ‘player safety’ and substance abuse. Really boils down to the hypocrisy, political double-speak, it’s anti-trust exemption, but most importantly, it’s the non-sensical approach to cannabis. The NFL refuses to tacitly endorse cannabis’s legit potential for athletes’ aches and pains due to their largest advertisers’ monopoly on intoxicants. Not to mention, the pimp slap Big Pharma would hit the NFL with if word got out they (NFL training staffs/doctors) were steering players away from manufactured drugs in lieu of cannabis.

Just out of curiosity (in case you didn’t read that part of my earlier post), do you think smoking cannabis should disqualify you from employment in the NFL and/or driving drunk and killing a human? Seriously, because not only has it happened once that a drunken player killed another human and was allowed to play again, but I can think of three right off the top of my head: Leonard Little killed a mother and wife and played again, Donte Stallworth drunkenly ran over a man and killed him (he fled the scene claiming he didn’t know he hit a human) and played again, and Josh Brent got drunk and crashed his car killing another player and played (or at least was on the Cowboys practice squad after he killed him).

Yeah, they’re the rules and it’s obvious when it comes to cannabis (yes, it will come out Gordon pissed hot for THC) the punishment will be leveled with a hard smack of Goodell’s gavel, but does being an addict warrant a bigger penalty than being directly responsible for the death of another human because of alcohol? Cause you can drink like a fish as long as you suit up. Don’t believe me, google Santana Moss and Clinton Portis taking shots of Hennessy before each game for a season. The hypocrisy is maddening and this turned into a stream of consciousness.

HTTR

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Everyone knew he had one more chance to play in the NFL and he got popped again. No one is really surprised that he didn't last an entire season based on his history.

My views on MJ and CBD use in the NFL is that it should be legal but it's not and he broke the rules numerous times if that's even what he got caught in his system.

And making an exception for Josh based on the patriots past history of borderline breaking the rules would make people hate them more.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join