It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOD shows up!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Not sure whether to put this in "Science and Technology" or here.

So, earlier today I posted a thread about superconductors and superfluidity...Here

The implications of conservation of momentum and other physical properties are endless, but let's say, hypothetically, something else happens in the process of this science. ....

Let's say that CERN, in the process of searching for more data on the Higgs-Boson "God" particle conducts an experiment which suddenly results in an completely unexpected result. The test is a smashing success. Suddenly, all the instruments go crazy and there is suddenly this energy force which appears at the conclusion of a test.

The energy force doesn't do anything initially, but it's just there. It's observable, but not explainable. It exists, but it's not diminishing (or growing), it's just there.

There has been a breakthrough discovery with the test, and the results are fantastic...but this energy anomaly was not anticipated.

No one knows exactly what to do. The physicists and scientists want to study it, but it was not an expected result of their experiments so they're not sure where to start. It just ... showed up.

In a few days some brave scientists decide to go run some tests on this energy anomaly. Within moments of approaching they are instantly twisted into unrecognizable forms. But the energy form doesn't move, it doesn't communicate, it doesn't expand, and it doesn't contract. It's just...there.

In parallel with these events the results of the initial experiment begin to be known. The results are fantastical; quantum physics is suddenly understood, the unified field theory is suddenly understood...it's unimaginable! BUT...there is this force which has been created as a byproduct which no one can even begin to comprehend.

Theologians bow down before the force and sacrifice their souls. Science and Physics are dumbfounded to explain how the force can continue to exist in stasis, and what it will do next.

Suddenly there is fear.

And, it doesn't go away. Months, even years, pass and the force remains. It doesn't move, it is impenetrable, it is omnipotent...and it just remains.

All of history is changed now, the past is irrelevant because of this incomprehensible development. The entire evolution of mankind is now in question. ...and the force remains...silent, omnipotent...and just...there.

What is it? Why is it? What does it want?

What can we do?

Before long, mankind erupts in fire. If we can't control it, then we must pay homage to it, and only a select few are worthy. The wrath of humankind will destroy itself trying to demonstrate it's worthiness. Billions are lost.

And, one day, the light just goes out.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Good short story, but written in this way it doesn't connect with a specific audience.

Hard to get invested in a story written entirely in exposition and setting.

Put some characters and dialogue in, and it would be a neat story.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Quite the contrary actually.

It is written in the context of the unknown, as reality will have it.

An individual could be a victim, a participant, or an unknowing element on the other side of the planet.

It wouldn't matter.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Archivalist

Quite the contrary actually.

It is written in the context of the unknown, as reality will have it.

An individual could be a victim, a participant, or an unknowing element on the other side of the planet.

It wouldn't matter.

This is new age science fiction. You should put some ghosts in it and maybe incorporate abraham lincoln with a talking canine companion. Maybe you could get a cartoon network show?

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Not quite how science (or scientists) work(s).

If such an energy field were to manifest in conjunction with a planned experiment, the first thing would be to attempt to quantify the effect and correlate its existence with the expected result.

Failing that, and in response to any dangerous consequences presented by the anomaly, the anomaly would be immediately sequestered for safety, and likely subject to restricted access under government authority.

Science does not generally make “gods” of things it cannot explain.

The heavens would be far too crowded if it did!

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

WOW

That really was amazing FCD! Kinda tired right now so words will be hard but with just the part you wrote could easily be expanded into an awesome sci-fi/thriller.
You had me captivated from the get go and I want more damnit.

BTW you are the first to ever receive more than three beers from me

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
A writer searching for ideas will take your info and make a movie script out of it. Of course, you won't even get a free dinner for your contribution.

Shhh. Don't give out who actually is the unknowing individual who was created by CERN on the other side of the planet. I don't want Physicists sticking a patent on me after the changes they did to me.

edit on 9-12-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

You can never trust the Swiss. They are too effin smart for their own safety!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

This whole thread reminds me of this episode:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   
There's no reason why the discovery should make any difference to anybody, until communication has been established. Once there is communication, that's a real God scenario.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   
It's an interesting idea. Faith in that there is a God drives religion. If God appeared, or was proven, then religion would suffer a significant change - especially those religions which were "wrong". It would certainly make for some interesting times!

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Great read. I was totally into it. I do believe several syfy movies make reference to finding the "God" particle at CERN but don't really flesh out the idea.

Have you thought of writing a script? Would love to read it. Syfy is my all time favorite.

Fabulous opportunities there especially with your skill and knowlledge.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
There's no reason why the discovery should make any difference to anybody, until communication has been established. Once there is communication, that's a real God scenario.

There wouldn't need to be a single word spoken. Just a single flash of light and an entire major city turns to stone would do the trick. Or another flash of light and a Mt. Everest sized hunk of gold materializes out of thin air, instantly crushing the world economies.

Not even a single word.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Why would I worship random chaos and death from this thing anymore than a random meteor or other naturally destructive phenomena? What would worship even get me? No assurance it wouldn't destroy me or my loved ones, nothing at all. Without communication it's just a random force of chaos. Worth fearing, perhaps hating, certainly not something worthy of worship. Is not giving even giving direction, or ultimatums, or anything with which to avoid this destruction or chaos. Is just a destructive chaotic thing and nothing more.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Who's talking about 'worshipping' anything???

Yes, I said some would, but that wasn't the point. The point was this force just appears, but there are no answers beyond that.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Ok the force appears and no one can do anything to combat it, and it creates chaos in the world... um... yay?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

There wouldn't need to be a single word spoken. Just a single flash of light and an entire major city turns to stone would do the trick.

Not without some kind of explanation about why it was happening. There has to be some way of telling the difference between "You are being punished for drinking too much alcohol" and "You are being punished for not drinking enough alcohol".

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

No there doesn't. Why would there need to be??? That's a pretty arrogant position to take (not you, but in general), that "we" are somehow entitled to an explanation. Mankind wouldn't be 'entitled' to anything in that scenario.

"God" (or whatever) isn't going to come down and ask for permission, nor would it take the time to offer an explanation...it would just be done.

Mankind makes this mistake all the time, and in many respects it's the whole reason for the OP. Mankind makes these leaps of faith all the time...things like aliens will resemble humans, or "God" has compassion for humans, or ET will be friendly, etc. It's a very self righteous assumption, and it defaults to mankind putting himself on a pedestal as the most important thing in the Universe. But the exact opposite is the reality; mankind is an infinitesimally small sub-atomic spec of energy to the Universe. Completely insignificant to the greater universe that surrounds us. Completely.

Heck, this energy force could just be looking for a place to store its golf clubs! And we think we're entitled to some explanation????

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Heck, this energy force could just be looking for a place to store its golf clubs! And we think we're entitled to some explanation????

But without some kind of communication/relationship there is no practical difference between "mankind at mercy of powerful energy force" and "mankind at mercy of powerful physical universe".
That is why, as I said at the beginning, the proposed "discovery" actually makes no difference to us, unless communication has been added to the mix.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
A writer searching for ideas will take your info and make a movie script out of it. Of course, you won't even get a free dinner for your contribution.

Shhh. Don't give out who actually is the unknowing individual who was created by CERN on the other side of the planet. I don't want Physicists sticking a patent on me after the changes they did to me.

BS...

Not only will he get a chicken dinner, but screen credit and perhaps a few $$ for the concept. + a flag and star for his collection.

I already have the protagonist, plot, main characters, settings, themes, genre and proposed demographic audience. Has a Dan Brown vibe eh?

ATS is my favorite resource.

Screenplays are formula...character driven. protagonist name....Rafael..sound good?

my team uses this...join us.

www.wgaeast.org... check=1

www.celtx.com...

edit on 10-12-2018 by olaru12 because: oralje....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join