It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voting straight party vs filling in each spot straight party

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
IDK why I don't trust that single box too much, I dont' see why someone can't fill out each box next to their candidate, does it take that much more time? They have Dem, Rep, Ind, Grn next to the names, I would hope people can figure that out. I would think there would be less of a change of "machine counting error" if each one had a solid X, check of filled in.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I've never seen it myself and I've been voting since Ronald Reagan.
Its always been vote for each candidate singly except presidential elections where its president and vice president on the same line.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I always take the time to fill in each line myself, I have never voted straight ticket though so that's a big part o fit for me.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I don't believe that was on my ballot either. I have always gone section by section at least.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I'm not sure why straight voting is even still allowed. It seems disingenuous to continue, and leaves candidates in the hands of those too lazy to research before the cast a ballot.

Fortunately, I seem to have made all the right friends and acquaintances. I know no one, other than my mother, who supports straight voting. Everyone believes you should at least have enough passing knowledge of the candidates to pick the one to best represent you, not just vote blind because party.

I spent a great deal of time selecting candidates from multiple parties this morning. If I'd gone straight-ticket, I'd have sold myself short and not opted for optimal candidates to best represent me. I voted for Republicans, Democrats, an Indie, a Greenie, and Libertarians. Those individuals were carefully chosen after much research on my part, because I like to know who I'm voting for and why, not just blind vote like an idiot.

Edit: Just to clarify, straight-ticket voting is banned here in MI, so we don't even get the option. My "if" is purely hypothetical. But other states still do, and it boggles.
edit on 11/6/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Well, when you have people that are to dumb to figure out how to get an id you've got to make voting easy for them else our polls would be so backed up with people learning how to bubble boxes it prolly takes 4 days to get votes in.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well that is good to hear that many fill out each line instead of straight party voting.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I'm not sure why straight voting is even still allowed. It seems disingenuous to continue, and leaves candidates in the hands of those too lazy to research before the cast a ballot.

It's not a matter of laziness. That's superficial and lazy in itself. Back in 1966 my political science teacher explained it this way. I believe he voted a straight GOP ticket, though I may be mis-remembering it. In any case he said that it was the responsibility of the party to put the best candidate forward based on their principles, and if they could not do that, he did not want to be a member of that party. Particularly with local candidates it is difficult to tell what they will do. Every one of them will smile like a Boy Scout and tell you they'll do you good, but when it comes down to crunch time on an issue, the fact is, except in extreme and rare cases, the local candidate will vote with his party. It's called "party discipline" and you can depend on it. So if you despise the way a given party stands on the issues, you are doing yourself a disservice by voting for a candidate who belongs to that party. I suppose there are certain offices where it doesn't matter as much. Coroner comes to mind, but for any kind of representative, council member, etc. your research ought to concern the party more than the candidate.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Even if you plan on voting straight party I highly recommend you fill in the bubble next to individual candidates. Why? Because in many states even if you vote straight party you can still fill in the bubble for a particular candidate.

Not saying this does happen but it could. If you fill out your ballot straight Democrat or straight Republican and someone who is up to no good can change your votes by simply filling in bubbles on your straight ticket.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

used to be straight ticket...and you were Dem or Rep....but then popped up Libertarian and others....got to where if you were one...but wanted to split your vote, you couldnt

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
paper ballots only in my area in Montana so wasnt an option for me but i like paper ballots so i was happy i just voted ,they said it was the highest turn out for our district they have seen(poll lady was 86)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
IDK why I don't trust that single box too much, I dont' see why someone can't fill out each box next to their candidate, does it take that much more time? They have Dem, Rep, Ind, Grn next to the names, I would hope people can figure that out. I would think there would be less of a change of "machine counting error" if each one had a solid X, check of filled in.

Never had the straight party button here in GA. I always go through each selection. Not that I would use it if I had it as I dont always vote straight party.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
We fill out a paper ballot in Ohio and have to fill in each answer.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I always take the time to fill in each line myself, I have never voted straight ticket though so that's a big part o fit for me.

I didn't vote straight ticket either, and since there have been no major local scandals, I didn't have to bother with filling in Mickey Mouse as a write in this time too.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I didn't vote straight ticket either, and since there have been no major local scandals, I didn't have to bother with filling in Mickey Mouse as a write in this time too.

That's why we keep getting crooks in congress, because people vote straight ticket. No matter if you lean left or right, we know that not every candidate your side is going to be a good person. Some of them need to be weeded out. Yeah you lose a vote in congress, but you keep a scum bag out of congress.
edit on 6-11-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

That's fine and dandy if you don't really care about individual history/performance & the difference that makes between candidates, but I do, Schuy. As a whole, and a general rule, politicians are all out of the same Skittles Dingbat bag, just different flavors. But there are some, especially on the local levels, that are damn good politicians worth voting for outside your own party. I prefer to not let party lines limit my choices.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Ah, but when you have two scumbags? Sometimes, it's the lesser of two scumbags. Unfortunately, with our current party system, that's what we have. You either vote off party to protest or you vote to remove one of the scumbags by putting the other in position.

It's only in local level contests where you can have a chance of the off party candidates taking off.

I'm still really ticked at the libertarians about this past presidential race though.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I'm still really ticked at the libertarians about this past presidential race though.

Care to explain why I'm the object of your ire?

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Only eight U.S. states allow straight-party voting on the ballot, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures: Texas, Alabama, Indiana, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Utah.

Aren't those all Red states?

edit on 6-11-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Ah, but when you have two scumbags? Sometimes, it's the lesser of two scumbags. Unfortunately, with our current party system, that's what we have. You either vote off party to protest or you vote to remove one of the scumbags by putting the other in position.

It's only in local level contests where you can have a chance of the off party candidates taking off.

I voted libertarian last election. I'm a firm believer that the lessor of two evils is still evil and I'm not doing it. Yeah I realize that nobody is perfect, like the libertarian guy and the green party person or even sanders, but non of them are the outright criminals Trump and Hillary were and are.

top topics

join