It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sources say former Trump aide Manafort close to plea deal with Mueller

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: Lumenari

Because your party is fading away. As it should, because it doesn't represent the majority of America.

Not a good day for you guys huh?

If you think either party is going to fade into obscurity I can only assume you just became voting age and this is your first election.

My 70 year old mentor suggested the republicans were going to fade away, right before the 2016 general elections.
My counter was both parties are going to. . .

For those of us who see what is going on, neither party is holding the public trust. And neither party will sustain in the long term as they are now. They will either shift their ideals. Or be overtaken by a different party.

It’ll be a shift in ideals, as it always has been. A lot of super rich people have too much invested financially and a lot of regular people have too much invested personally in the two party system to see it go by the wayside. Just look at the comments in this thread.

During the Obama years people said it was the end of Republicans. That gave us Trump. Now people are saying it’s the end of the Democrats. Which will give us the opposite of Trump. And around we go.

When I look at politics, I try not to look at a timeline with anything less than 75-100 years. When you zoom out to that point, the patterns become clear, and the only thing that changes is the speed at which our leadership switches from Republican to Democrat and back again.

Some Presidents make the pendulum swing faster, and Trump is one of those. Which is why it’s going to be a rude awakening for a lot of people when they realize the echo chamber they’re used to online isn’t exactly matching up to reality.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: MteWamp

Because your party is fading away. As it should, because it doesn't represent the majority of America.

If you think either party is going to fade into obscurity I can only assume you just became voting age and this is your first election.

I gotta go with you on this one. I think "irrelevance" would be a more accurate term, from a purely technical standpoint.

New to this as well I see.

If you wouldn't mind, would you be so kind as to elaborate a bit?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

My 70 year old mentor suggested the republicans were going to fade away, right before the 2016 general elections.
My counter was both parties are going to. . .

For those of us who see what is going on, neither party is holding the public trust. And neither party will sustain in the long term as they are now. They will either shift their ideals. Or be overtaken by a different party.

It’ll be a shift in ideals, as it always has been. A lot of super rich people have too much invested financially and a lot of regular people have too much invested personally in the two party system to see it go by the wayside. Just look at the comments in this thread.

During the Obama years people said it was the end of Republicans. That gave us Trump. Now people are saying it’s the end of the Democrats. Which will give us the opposite of Trump. And around we go.

When I look at politics, I try not to look at a timeline with anything less than 75-100 years. When you zoom out to that point, the patterns become clear, and the only thing that changes is the speed at which our leadership switches from Republican to Democrat and back again.

Some Presidents make the pendulum swing faster, and Trump is one of those. Which is why it’s going to be a rude awakening for a lot of people when they realize the echo chamber they’re used to online isn’t exactly matching up to reality.

Sure. That's why the Whigs and Tory's are forefront to today's politics.
I will state Trump is a direct result of his predecessor.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

I guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else here then. This is nothing more than a time waster for me, I accomplish nothing by posting here and neither does anyone else. I choose my time as I please. When there is time to actually do something worthwhile I am out hiking or climbing a mountain, I have nothing else to do right now so this is one way I choose to pass the time.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I gotta go with you on this one. I think "irrelevance" would be a more accurate term, from a purely technical standpoint.

Neither of the two parties are going to fade into irrelevance any time soon. They both feed off of each other and in reality depend on the other for survival.

The Republicans need the Democrats. The Democrats need the Republicans. Because without a rival, without an enemy, neither of them are anything.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Whatever deal is reached, it will not adversely affect the President.

Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s lead defense attorney, told Politico on Thursday that the president’s legal team is not concerned about the possibility of a plea deal in Manafort’s case, because they are convinced he won’t say anything damaging about Trump.

Giuliani added that Manafort striking a plea deal would not shut the door to him getting a presidential pardon, and that Manafort’s and Trump’s teams have been in regular contact as part of a joint defense agreement, which allows the two sides to share evidence and other information.

Because of their agreement, it’s likely that Manafort’s lawyers would have spoken to Trump’s lawyers before reportedly agreeing to the tentative deal with Mueller.
Source: www.businessinsider.nl...

So Manaforts lawyers are talking to Trumps defense team. And now Trumps defense team is confident the Manafort won’t give out whatever evidence he may have that will hurt Trump. In possibly getting a pardon in exchange?

Another word comes to mind about this type of exchange but for some reason I just forgot it....

DAMN

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

That word = "politics"?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   

That word = "politics"?

Ya got me on that one

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Neither of the two parties are going to fade into irrelevance any time soon. They both feed off of each other and in reality depend on the other for survival.

The Republicans need the Democrats. The Democrats need the Republicans. Because without a rival, without an enemy, neither of them are anything.

Well that's just, like, your OPINION, man!

Seriously, though, I understand what you mean, and don't misunderstand, I wouldn't give either of them the sweat off my balls if they were dying of thirst. At least as far as the ORGANIZATIONS THEMSELVES are concerned. I just think things are a GREAT DEAL more 'fluid' than you believe them to be.

The DNC just seems to have completely lost their gorram minds. I don't see the RNC in a positive light either. But the other guys? Jesus H Christ, brother, everything they've tried to do, at least up to this point, has just turned to crap right before our eyes.

The midterms will be the litmus test, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, at least until then.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else here then. This is nothing more than a time waster for me, I accomplish nothing by posting here and neither does anyone else. I choose my time as I please. When there is time to actually do something worthwhile I am out hiking or climbing a mountain, I have nothing else to do right now so this is one way I choose to pass the time.

The problem with that argument is two-fold.

First, how would you know? The only person you can speak for is you. I'm sorry you think that, but hey, that's your issue.

Second, it's simply incorrect. My time here isn't wasted. Are you kidding? It's been an absolute BLAST for the last couple of years.

I don't do a lot of hiking or mountain climbing, for reasons I won't go into here, but that doesn't mean that I ain't having a frakking ball, because I am.

EVERY day.

Celebrate LIFE, my friend!

(insert the entire 'Trainspotting" opening monologue here)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   

I don't do a lot of hiking or mountain climbing, for reasons I won't go into here, but that doesn't mean that I ain't having a frakking ball, because I am.

I'm happy for you, truly I am. I don't mean to make it sound like my version of fun is better than other people's versions of fun, but in reality we are accomplishing absolutely nothing tangible while posting on this forum. While we sit here arguing over what's happening in the news and in the media we are missing what's truly important, enjoying the little time we have here.

Trump is nothing more than a distraction to keep us from looking and focusing on what is truly important, things that we can actually control in the here and now. That is Trump's greatest fault and the biggest advantage he gives to those in power, he makes people have tunnel vision, thanks in no small part to the media. Trump and the media are two sides of the same coin, a coin that those in power are cashing in on.

But that is their purpose in my opinion, they are a distraction that makes us argue amongst ourselves instead of unifying and attacking the source of the problem. The more division there is amongst us the more confusion there is as well. We don't have our eye on the ball.
edit on 9/14/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

But collusion is not an actual crime.

Just substitute "conspiracy" or "treason" for the word "collusion", and it might help you to make more sense of what is happening.

But one cannot.
As that would be a "crime" of ignorance
And ignorance is no excuse.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I'm happy for you, truly I am. I don't mean to make it sound like my version of fun is better than other people's versions of fun, but in reality we are accomplishing absolutely nothing tangible while posting on this forum. While we sit here arguing over what's happening in the news and in the media we are missing what's truly important, enjoying the little time we have here.

Trump is nothing more than a distraction to keep us from looking and focusing on what is truly important, things that we can actually control in the here and now. That is Trump's greatest fault and the biggest advantage he gives to those in power, he makes people have tunnel vision, thanks in no small part to the media. Trump and the media are two sides of the same coin, a coin that those in power are cashing in on.

But that is their purpose in my opinion, they are a distraction that makes us argue amongst ourselves instead of unifying and attacking the source of the problem. The more division there is amongst us the more confusion there is as well. We don't have our eye on the ball.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but as my Grandpa used to say, "That's 'quitter talk, boy".

I don't do "Feeling sorry for myself because ..........."'.
That's just nothing but quitter talk.

It's a wonderful time to be alive. my friend. If you choose not to participate, that's your business.

If everybody had felt that way on 7 December, 1941, I imagine we would all be speaking Japanese today.

I LOVE the smell of optimism in the morning, and every single morning when I wake up, I'm more optimistic than the day before.

Oh, and by the way, whether you choose to see it, or not, many of us here feel we ARE accomplishing something. We 'talk', we discuss. Is that not how issues are supposed to be resolved in a civilized society?

It's our raison d'être, or at least, one of them.

It's also a lot of fun. Are you not familiar with the term?

It's MUCH more fun to RIDE a wave, than it is to just paddle around feeling sorry for yourself, and then spend the rest of the day pissed off because you are the only one that didn't have the balls to even TRY and ride the big ones.

Being a Dudley Downer is a CHOICE, my friend.

YOU create your world, brah, NOT the other way around. I could never understand why some people just never get that.

If you don't want to play, you may as well just take your ball, and go home and sulk.

edit on 14-9-2018 by MteWamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
why would Meuller offer a plea bargain on such a high profile case?

Gee...do you think it might have anything to do with what he got in return?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc
a reply to: Kharron

Ah, I see more "sources" … NEXT

So many denials on the first page.

HERE WE GO:

Paul Manafort to plead guilty as part of plea deal with special counsel
www.foxnews.com...

Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort reaches plea deal

Prosecutors filed a new slimmed-down set of charges against Manafort Friday morning, reining in the felony counts pending against him in D.C. from seven to just two:

conspiracy against the U.S.
and conspiracy to obstruct justice.

The plea deal calls for a 10-year cap on how long Manafort will be sent to prison, according to a source.

www.politico.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: crtrvt

The hearing is scheduled for 30 minutes from now and we will know if the plea deal included an agreement to cooperate.

I will actually be surprised if it does.

Trump will Pardon Manafort, but doesn't want to do so until after the Mid-Terms IMO.
And Manafort originally claimed to be cooperating, but was BSing, hiding and destroying docs and covering his tracks while doing so, thus the raid and charges, so I don't see Special Counsel trusting him.

It hinges on what he "proffered" or otherwise agreed to testify to.

In connection with the agreement, Mr. Manafort agreed to forfeit four of his multi-million-dollar homes, including a Brooklyn townhome and an estate on Long Island, and funds in multiple bank accounts. Other terms of the deal couldn’t immediately be determined,

www.wsj.com...

This is curious. Not sure how it works, but why sacrifice so much if he is expecting Pardon?

Maybe the 2nd trial would have concluded before Mid-Terms and he would have had to forfeit more before a Pardon could take effect.

Lot's of moving pieces here.

If Manafort flips, he could hang Trump Jr. for lying under oath about the Trump Tower Meeting.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

That word = "politics"?

Ya got me on that one

And also because Mueller's investigation is ending soon.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

And also because Mueller's investigation is ending soon.

How so?

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

BREAKING: His Plea Agreement includes Cooperation with Special Counsel.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join